“Things You Should Know”

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 May 2014

for an all inclusive the food and facility is about average, no complaints. The issue is the dock, they do not allow other dive boats to pick people up at the dock. There is a fee of 54$ per month for any dive operator who wants to use their dock and very few pay it. if you are a diver not interested in using their charter company find another resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tshnh123
Write a ReviewReviews (5,118)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was the first time I had stayed at an all inclusive resort. I've decided this concept is not for me. I guess I got tired of the same staff, activities and food day after day after day. It is apparent some folks enjoyed it because while my friends and I were there, there were many returning guests. The front desk never even mentioned they had a "tour desk" that had some options for getting out and exploring. We did do an all day tour of the island on my next to last day. My bed was comfortable but there is nowhere to put your clothes but in the closet (no chest of drawers or anything). Make sure you keep track or your pool towel or they will charge you $10. I hope you like cats because they wander all over the resort, including the restaurants. The pool was nice and the beach was lovely. The price was reasonable but I'm not sure it was worth it in the end.

1  Thank Janna64
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our second stay at an Iberostar and the first time to Cozumel. After the reviews we read prior to our trip we were all over the mattress topper business. As we checked in at the desk, the staff said not to worry, all new mattresses. They were excellent.

Star friends were fantastic and worked so hard. Special thanks to Louis and Brenda. Pool aerobics with Guillermo seemed to be a hit with my wife and many others. We played games that were good for adults and kids and brought home a few Star Friends Diplomas for our efforts.

Israel at the towel room was very friendly and helpful with towels and never sent us away with an under-inflated ball.

A highlight was definitely taking my kids diving. We pre-arranged a snorkel trip because of the discount for paying in advance. I wanted to see how professional the dive shop was first hand before trusting them with my kids. The pool session went well and in the end we did the discover diving package and then added two more dives. They loved it.

The snorkel trip we booked in advance took us to the same reef where we dove. In my opinion too deep for good snorkeling. Great for first time divers. Our depth was fairly consistent and never any shallower than I would guess 8m. Fine for diving but if you want to see the colour of the coral and some fish up close, I would look for a better snorkel spot. That being said, if you are not that keen on getting closer to the stuff, there was lots to see and certainly nothing was very likely to get up close and personal on the snorkel trip.

Our room was in building 33 which was about a 50 second walk to the pool and for us ideal. No noise from the dive shop as I've heard mentioned by others in different units.

My suggestion would be to go for the upper unit. We tried really hard to be considerate of the people below us but there is no doubt that some of our wet stuff dripped and some sand came out of our shoes. The balcony is made of wood so there are gaps where things could get through. I think on the bottom floor that might be a problem if something was spilled from above. Just something to be aware of.

Room was made up each day with the usual towel art left on the bed which my daughter loves and we all appreciated.

Nothing bad to say about any bartender. They were all great.

Food was ok. Some dishes appeared very regularly but that is the nature of this trip and a buffet. I was hoping for a bit more variety in the Steak and Mexican Restaurants when it came to the appetizers. Most of the items were things we had seen at dinner already or even at lunch that day.

Kids loved the fruity (sweet) drinks made for them and the soft and hard ice cream in the restaurant beside the pool.

Take water shoes or fins if you plan to go into the water. We saw a kid who appeared to have been stung by something. The beach is not sand, it is a reef. Cook to snorkel. Masses of fish right under the dock. We saw a stingray, crab, and a few lobsters within 20 m of the dock.

Room Tip: Building 33 was a good spot for us. 45 seconds down to the pool and quiet. I suggest an upper uni...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed 1 week for a girls trip, second week husband joined me had a great time. Every one was helpful and nice. Bed were hard the firs week but they were in he process of changing mattresses and the second week was fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I (along with another couple-see mbclara review) stayed at the resort from April 5-10. We chose to take a trip without our children and were a little hesitant as this is NOT an Adults only resort. With that being said, we didn't have any problems with any of the kids running around. All were well behaved and the Star Friends did a great job entertaining the kids and keeping everyone busy. Overall we had a great time and would recommend the resort. We enjoyed the activities with the Star Friends (loved Jose, Elizabeth & Francisco) and the evening entertainment wasn't too bad either.

We were a little disappointed as the water was choppy a majority of our trip and we did not get to enjoy snorkeling although per staff this is rare. We had signed up for a snorkeling excursion through Dressel Dive Shop (on the resort) and originally they simply wanted to give us a 5 year voucher to use to snorkel at several different locations. We simply stated we may not may it to a tropical destination in the next 5 years and they returned our money without much fuss. We have added snorkeling/diving to our bucket list for another trip!

Compared to another all inclusive resort in Jamaica this resort is not stingy on alcohol as we most definitely knew when we had drank a few too many drinks.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MJDrew4
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We spent 11 nites at this resort from March 29 thru April 9th. We traveled with 2 other couples. We have stayed at other Iberostar resorts and once again were not disappointed. Everything from the food to the rooms to the employees was great. We love participating in the activities with the star friends!! Yes you cannot walk into the water from the beach but we knew that before we went. Having the pier with the ladder to walk into the water was awesome. The nightly shows were great,, We went to every one. Our room overlooked the pool, it was awesome.. Always cleaned beautifully Air conditioning worked great. It was all good. We took no cell phones and never turned on the TV. We can do that at home. Pure heaven.......

Room Tip: We liked the 2nd floor which I did request we were in 8313 It was nice being right by the pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oarfin
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed April 4-11. It was our first time to stay on Cozumel.This resort is for people who want to feel like they are in Mexico. They have many animals at the resort (peacocks, iguanas, cats flamingos) so if you are afraid of animals don't stay here.If you are looking to have lots of fun and see great shows at night the star friends at this resort are terrific, especially Elizabeth, Luis, Patti, Javier and Brenda. We like to go snorkeling but while we were there it was unusually windy so the water was churned up. We still saw a nurse shark, a stingray and a great barracuda 6-7ft long.I would highly recommend eating at the mexico resturant. The food is excellent. The buffet restaurant food was ok and we could always find plenty to eat but it could've been better.Jordy took great care of us on the beach with our drinks. They are not stingy with liquor.We had so much fun with the staff here, that we didn't want to leave the resort for any excursions. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Stay away from dive center if you don't dive.Noisy in the morning.
3  Thank Julie E