Iberostar Cozumel
  • Pool
Excellent 5/5
  • Pool
5,230 results
All reviewsstar friendsdressel diverspink flamingosfishsteak restaurantwater shoestenderloindive shoprooms are smalltex mexswim up barsand fleasspecialty restaurantsmattress topperrocky beachother resortsmain buffet
FilterAll languages
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 30 July 2004

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our week stay at the Iberostar July 21 - 28. We checked in on a Wednesday (which we recommend, not as busy and had no problems making reservations in the two restaurants)

The hotel grounds are beautiful! My husband thought the grounds were prettier than the Westin in Maui. Yes, you will see a few Iguanas and Geckos. You're in the jungle! You will also see flamingos, peacocks, parrots and the most colorful butterflies.

There were a few mosquitos - if you're from Houston or Dallas it's just like home! Use some Off and you're good to go.

The food was great - a good variety. The pickiest eater will find something. They served grilled lobster twice. We didn’t except it - just got lucky. I'm sure the chef orders it when he can get a good deal. (Best food we have had at an all inclusive hotel in Mexico)

Diving was awesome! Our dive master said Iberostar is the best resort for diving because you are close to all the dive sites. He was right! Not allot of time spent on the boat. We highly recommend Dive with Martin. Small groups of no more than 10. Friendly crew - made us feel comfortable. This is good for a group of new divers! No problems getting on the boat from the Iberostar pier.

I could go on and on about the hotel. They understand the meaning of Hospitality and trust me it's had to please a fellow hotelier. We did lose some luggage, but it arrived a few days later. Not the hotels fault. All you need is a swimsuit!

The Shows are fun not lame as one reviewer said. You're not going to see a Broadway show! It's fun. Relax a little!

On a last note... Please! Please! Tip you waiter or bartender. Where have you stayed that was all inclusive that had pool/beach drink service? All staff was friendly and worked hard to make our stay enjoyable.

We will come back! We were sad to leave.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2004

We stayed at the Iberostar 7/22/04-7/29/04 It is far from a five star resort. We have stayed on Cozumel in the past at the El Cozumeleno and the Rivera Maya at the Bahia Principe both Akumal and Tulum those are 5 star resorts.

Our check in went well, which is unusual for Mexico, Hector was great and got us rooms in the same building all on the lower floor which was great. Vivian the person in charge of the nightly resturant meals was not friendly and never smiled, set us up with a night at the Mexican and a night at the steak resturant. We later found out she filled out the wrong night for the steak and they would not let us in. When we talked with the front desk area they said nothing they could do about it. Saw Vivian the next day, she took no credit for the mistake and told us the steak resturant was booked the rest of the time we were there but she would try to work it out. She came through though at 7:30PM for the night we could go to the steak resturant. By then though we had already eaten dinner. She was very rude. The waiters and bus boys in the buffet were either great or bad, no inbetween. We either got drinks or they never asked and we just got up and got our own. ( I tipped and it didn't make a difference) The food was poor but it is Mexico, we are used to that. There was something every night that you could find that you liked. Lunch however was miserable. Eat lots for breakfast.

We had 2 rooms, thank god because they were very small, half the size they are in normal resorts. You spend very little time in the room but there was not even a dresser, half the closet was little compartments to put your clothes. The shower drains in both rooms stopped up, so did the toilets. Our room maid was awesome, very nice and did a great job.

We dove with Emerald Dolphin, They were a class act dive group. Took great care of us and we had alot of fun diving with them. Small groups. We did not plan to dive with Iberostar's dive shop Dressler because of their large groups. We did however do one night dive with them. They had about 10 experienced people with and experienced dive master and 6 people including us, that had never been on a night dive with a divemaster that had never taken out a night dive. All of their flash lights, that we rented, quit working except for one. The divemaster kept running into everyone, my kids said it was a fiasco.

We normally don't complain, we are in Mexico on vacation and there to dive. We were under those circumstances able to blow off most of the problems. I hate though that we paid as much as we did and it was not a 5 star act. Would we go back there? No, we would stay at another hotel for sure. Any renovations they claim to have done in 2004 are not noticable. The place was very run down.

4  Thank Luckydiver
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2004

Prior to booking our vacation we read many reviews both good and bad about Iberostar. I have to say that many were right on target but some were quite slanted. Iberostar was a perfect place to get away and relax. My husband and I along with another couple stayed there for four days during the weekend of June 19th. We had heard about all the bad weather complaints and we happened to be lucky and the weather was gorgeous the 4 days we were there. There was some rain when we arrived at the hotel but housekeeping was furiously mopping the floors and trying to keep the walkways clear of water. They even put out "slipppery" floor signs for our safety. Each staff member at the Iberostar Cozumel was friendly and went above and beyond to help us with cabs, table service and questions about the area. Our rooms were cleaned very well daily and considering how much sand we dragged in from the beach, our room needed it. As far as the corral on the beach is concerened, that is a truth, so if you don't want to walk in it, just wear some water shoes or rent a scooter and head to the gorgeous sandy beaches on the east side of the island. GO! You don't want to leave the island and not see the other side. We chartered a boat one morning and went flats fishing. My husband caught a shark! It wasa thrill. We went with a guy named Alex who was fantastic at his job and new the mangroves really well so if you are a fisherman, we highly recommend doing that. Getting out on a boat at dawn and watching the sunrise over the ocean with no one else around was pure heaven. I can see how some people may be up tight about the hotel not being like a US version of Four Seasons, but get real, you ARE in the jungle with birds and lizards. Remember the hotel was build in THEIR habitat. If you go there to just sit in the hotel room, you are not there for the right reasons. Get on a scooter and tour the island. We suggest eating at La Mission in town. It was fabulous!

• Stayed: June 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 29 July 2004

Regarding the Iberostar in Cozumel, we thought it was ok, not great. We wouldn't go back there.

It was DEFINATELY not a good resort if you scuba dive, for the following reasons:
The dive operation onsite is for inexperienced divers (although the dive shop employees were very nice.) Their boats are over-crowded, and the dive masters hover over you like you're a first time diver. On a night dive all of their dive lights died underwater, so those renting lights had to end their dive early, with no refund. In addition, they overcharged us $15 one dive, and then didn't want to give us a refund!

The resort meal times are not in line with the diving times. So when we came back from diving, the restaurants were often closed and we had to wait an hour or more before the next one opened.

The specialty restaurants require reservations which can only be made from 9-10:30 am and 4:30-5pm - we were diving those times, and they would not make any exceptions for divers.

If you dive the day you check-out (we weren't flying that day,) you'll need a late checkout and they charge by the hour after 12pm.

There is absolutely nowhere to hang any of your dive gear in the room, and they ask you not to hang it on the balcony. The rooms are very small, there's very little room for your gear in general.

The food was good and there was lots of variety. However, the food selection was the exact same for lunch and dinner, every single day. We got so sick of the food, it became the running joke.

The rooms were nice, and clean, but very small and there's nowhere comfortable to sit and relax.

The sandy part of the beach was very nice to lay out on, but you can't walk into the water - too rocky. You can climb down the ladder on the pier and go in, which is fine. Nothing to see, but if you just want to swim around its clear and calm.

The shows at night were actually good. It's just the staff, but they're talented, and it was entertaining.

The property is beautiful, and well maintained. Although its very big, and is a long walk from the lobby/restaurant to the beach. The staff is nice, although they never go out of their way to help you for anything if you need it.

They give you beach towels when you arrive and if someone steals it, or if they maid takes it when she cleans the room (which happened to us) they charge you $10!

It seemed like a great place for kids, though.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 July 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar from July 15th through the 18th. This was our first trip to Cozumel. The weather was great and the people and staff were very friendly. The food was ok to good. My favorite meal they served was breakfast. They make this wonderful cheese danish bread that is out of this world. My husband, who is an extremely picky eater, always found something. The drinks are great as well... especially the strawberry margaritas (YUM!!). The rooms were a bit small but perfect for a couple. The beds were quite firm but great if you have lower back problems. My husband said the bed was wonderful for his back. The hotel and the landscaping is so beautiful. You really feel like you are in paradise when you stay here. My advise is rent a car and see the island. We drove on the west side and stopped at several bars and a wonderful place to eat called Coconuts. Oh by the way, we booked our vacation through Apple and they were extremely helpful the whole time. They even recommended a snorkeling trip that includes snuba... it was the best thing my husband and I did there. I can't begin to tell you how much fun that was. Boy can those Mexicans party!!!! Anyway, when we left to go over to the Mayan Riviera to stay for a few nights, I accidently left my underwater camera and film in a bedside table. I told my Apple Rep at Xpu Ha and Iberostar (thanks Sid and Roberta) and they were able to retrieve them for me. I recommend Iberostar for anyone wanting to get away for a paradise experience.

• Stayed: July 2004