“Perfect Getaway!!”

Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
“Perfect Getaway!!”
Reviewed 18 October 2004

We just returned from a long weekend at Iberostar Cozumel October 14-18. This hotel is by far one of the nicer ones on the Island. The rooms are clean and well kept, the food was good, the staff was incredible and work very, very hard. The hotel is south of town and I would recommend renting a car which is relatively inexpensive and easy to do. The other option is to taxi in, but that can add up quick since it is $19 each way. The inconvenience of being "out of town" is far outweighed by the privilege of being able to walk out to the beach and enjoy the beauty of the island and the reef. Most "in town" hotels have an ocean view that consists of several cruise ships lined up -- no thanks! As for the beds, mosquitos, etc that I've seen postings about.....we never saw a single mosquito, and if you've truly experienced Cozumel during the day, the bed is more than comfortable at night! The food was good, the pool very clean, the drinks were potent, the beach was incredible, the staff incredibly talented(the evening shows are VERY entertaining and fun - a must see) and hard working. We will definitely stay at Iberostar when we return to Cozumel -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Polish first
Statesville, NC
Reviewed 12 October 2004

We just got home from a week at Iberostar Cozumel (Oct. 2-Oct. 9). What a wonderful experience! This was during low season, so the hotel was not as full as it would be during another part of the year. Check-in was quick and easy. We were in our room within 15 minutes. There were 3 adults in the room, and we had plenty of space. We were only in there to shower and sleep, anyhow.

Our chambermaid took special care to keep our room clean for us. One day, he even cleaned the sand out of our watershoes for us. Everyday we had a towel animal waiting for us when we came back in from the pool. Our minifrig was stocked at least every other day, and we always had plenty of bottled water in the bathroom to brush our teeth.

The bathroom was reallly nice. Much bigger than what we are accustomed to on a cruise ship. It has a glass shower and a really large mirror over the sink. The first day, we realized that when we showered, the water tried to run out into the bathroom floor, so we folded up a towel and placed it at the foot of the shower door, which resolved the problem.

There was nowhere to hang wet stuff when we came in from the pool, except in the closet, so we took a hanger and secured it between the two curtain rods, directly in line with the air conditioner's path. This worked really well. However, due to the high humidity, nothing really ever completely dried.

We had an upsairs room closer to the pool, but far enough from the main traffic that we still had peace and quiet. We did have a few visitors at night that woke us up...one night we had a frog and a couple of nights we had lizards. No big deal, we knew what to expect, so it just added to the tropical setting.

We saw several iguanas along the sidewalk, as well as lizards, birds, macaws, parrots, flamingos, and a peacock.

The pool area was really nice. It was great having an activities pool separate from a swimming pool. This way we didn't have to worry about bothering people who didn't want to be active.

There was always something going on. We enjoyed playing water volleyball with the activities staff. We also shot some water basketball. The activities staff worked really hard to keep things going. Some of the activities they offered were water volleyball, water basketball, water polo, kayak racing, water balloon fights, rifle shooting, darts, step-aerobics, water aerobics, beach volleyball, yoga, children's activities, and dance lessons. There were even free scuba lessons in the pool! However, if you only wanted to watch and relax, the staff was okay with that.

As others have mentioned, the activities staff are the ones who put on the shows at night. They do an EXCELLENT job. We were very pleased with the entertainment. They work extremely hard to put those shows on, and they have to go on whether they feel like it or not. They did a great job getting people involved in the pre-show games and dancing. I always looked forward to going to the theater at night!! Jerry, Edwin, Alex, Eduardo, Luis, Charlie, Milagros, Diana, and Michel were great. I miss them all already!

The food was good, but I was ready for something different by the end of the week. They always had plenty of variety at each meal, but the variety was the same every day. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't bad...just a different culture than what I'm used to. I'm kind of a picky eater, so I think others enjoyed the food a little more than I did. However, I didn't starve! Dinner at night was pretty good. One night they served lobster and one night they had raw steaks and chicken for us to pick out, and then they would grill it for us right then. I really liked the steamed veggies and the fruit.

The mosquitos seemed to enjoy me. I sprayed with repellant every evening before going to supper and the shows, but I still ended up with about 35 bites. However, one person that was with my group only got 3 bites the whole time. So, I guess it just depends. I heard while I was there that if you start taking garlic a couple of weeks before you go, they will stay away from you. I will have to try that next time.

Overall, we had an excellent trip. We were very pleased with our vacation. We are already trying to decide when we can go back. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a true "tropical" vacation.

4 Thank adatappstate
Reviewed 4 October 2004

We had a great time at the Iberostar Cozumel!
I will start from the beginning.....When we arrived the check in process was great! The staff was very informative & nice! We requested a main floor room close to the pool and they worked that out for us with no problems.
The rooms were small but nice. To us it didn't make a difference because we were only in our room long enough to shower & sleep. The housekeepers did a WONDERFUL job keeping the room clean and stocking the fridge! :)
Anytime we called for something (ie. iron, towells) they were at our room within 5 minutes. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service.
The pool was great as was the swim up bar!
Our favorite bartender was Fernando! He's a banana mama expert! :)
The beach is ok. It is very rocky in the water so bring water shoes no matter what! We snorkled around the peir and that was great.
Warning: The mosquitos were bad! Bring bug spray and you'll be just fine! That's part of being in the jungle. :)
We went fishing one day and our private charter boat picked us up at the peir with no problem. I read other reviews where people said they had problems with this????
Food was good for an all inclusive. We were very impressed with the specialty resturaunts. The steak we had was better than most steak we get here in the US. They did a great job cooking it! The mexican resturaunt was also very good.

Our favorite part was the shows at night put on by the star friends! These guys & girls were great!
We miss them a bunch! The disco was also a bunch of fun! I would recommend going to the shows, they are sooo funny! Charlie will make you laugh a bunch! Edwin, Eduardo (sp?) & Charlie were our favorite star friends! They were awesome!
Check out was just as great as check in just very sad! :(

I would highly recommend this hotel! I tried to figure out what the heck people were talking about on some of the bad reviews I read. I have absolutely NO reason to not recommend this hotel.
We would like to come back with our kids next time! :)

Hope this review is helpful!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 September 2004

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week at the Iberostar Cozumel. The entire staff went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. The resort is built in a tropical setting with lush vegation and extensive landscaping throughout. The cabanas are located among the wonderful tropical vegation. The huts are two story with the upper one having a thatched palapa roof in keeping with the traditional mayan culture. The rooms while just a tad small are more than adequate with a nice bathroom including a large glass shower. We found the room to be more than adequate for our 7 night stay because we, like most others, spent very little time in room. The food was quite good to us for an all inclusive resort. We have stayed at several other all inclusive resorts and the food here is better than most. The pool, while not massive, was large enough for us and was kept very clean. The beach was nice but a bit "rocky" and the water was crystal clear and tropical fish could be seen while snorkeling from the beach. We have stayed here before and will certainly be back!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 September 2004

After a great 5 days Yucatan Highlights tour we came to the wonderful Iberostar Cozumel to spend there the remaining 10 days of our honeymoon (5 - 14 September). The place, the Hotel with the little bungalows, the hotel staff (i.e. the room maids nicely decorating the bed) - it was perfect. We had a wonderful time there and we found it more than worthwile to spend 11 hours on a plane to get there.

Especially we loved the quiet beach with these nice palmtrees, to swim in the quite big pools before breakfast (later on the pools were too crowded with too many Americans having sometimes too early too many Margaritas...), the friendly and attentive waiters (thanks Antonio, Angel and all others) and the friendly and professional animateurs (Star Friends) who really do a great job during day and even more admiringly during the shows in the evening (Jerry, Luis, Edwin, Riccardo, Diana, Alicia, Milagros, DJ Paul, Charly, Alex and all the others). It's amazing that they are still able to do such nice and funny performances after such long working days. Thanks also to them for accepting a no when being invited for an activity and wanting to rest!

Diving and snorkling in the area is simply wonderful. I did the open water certificate. However, I decided to not do it at the Iberostar's Dressel diving school but at the Palancar Dive at the neighboring Grand Occidental. Dressel seems to be exaggerating its prices and Dive Palancar not only proved to be less costly but also more flexible. As it was low season I had my own instructor (Thanks Clemente you did a great job!).

The last two days were affected by the Hurricane Ivan, but fortunately much less then feared. (By going to the Carribean during the Hurricane season you should off course also think about accepting a certain risk). My wife, who was a bit scared by what might happen, regreted that the animation activities from the side of the Hotel completely stopped (even though we know that the staff was busy with the equipment safeguarding from the Hurricane). She thought that some distraction might have helped to better overcome some fears. At the end we and the region were lucky and apart from some rain and heavy winds the Iberostar was not very much affected. On our last day at the Iberostar Cozumel (14 September) Hotel life came back to normal.

All in all we had a perfect honeymoon at the Iberostar Cozumel, enjoing nice food, romantic dinners at the Mexican Restaurant and relaxing at the beach. We are still dreaming about these wonderful times we spent there and the beautiful surroundigs with iguanas, flamingos, palm trees, white beaches and wonderfully blue sea.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
minnesota
Reviewed 26 September 2004

We have just returned from eight days in Cozumel. Wonderful!
Simply gorgeous, Iberostar Cozumel has been carved out of and into the coastal wilderness of the island. It is lush and intimate with rooms in small, one or two story bungalows of a few rooms each.
Flowers abound. Flamingos wade in a pond as parrots and macaws sit in the trees, looking down on the peacocks that wander the grounds. Lighted paths wind all through the resort, weaving around
tress and connecting (eventually) everything to everywhere. Bring comfortable shoes as you are
destined to do a lot of walking here, but you are bound to enjoy the stroll even if it means walking
around an iguana sunning or a turtle sharing the path.
Leave your stateside concepts of five star luxury behind. The pace and the accommodations dance
to the beat of a different drummer here. If you judge things by the friendliness of the staff and the
genuine concern they show for your enjoyment instead of the clock or a AAA checklist, this place
can be a slice of heaven on earth.
There are some drawbacks to the Iberostar, but if you go knowing what to expect many of these
can be remedied, or at the least they will not come as a surprise.
It is a long distance to ‘town’, San Miguel. A taxi will cost $17 or $18 each way. We got a cheap
rental car. It was a beat up VW bug convertible that shifted poorly, stalled occasionally, and cost
us $107.71 for the week. It was a source of frustration, laughs, and worth every dime. Do your
rental car shopping ahead of time. I found my deal by surfing the web. Once you are there, the
same bug goes for closer to $44 a day. ‘Real’ cars go for quite a bit more.
The resort rooms are quite small. There was no dresser, and the only hook to hang wet things up
on in our room was directly above the toilet paper roll in the bathroom.
The beds are hard. We were so blissfully exhausted it never cost us any sleep, but we toyed with the idea of buying inflatable pool mattresses to soften the blow. We never did, and never really needed to.
The beach is rocky after it reaches the water. If you plan to enter the water, bring along water
shoes and you will be fine. Up to the water’s edge it is all bright, smooth sand that was being groomed
every morning at sunrise while we were strolling, picking up shells or playing with the occasional star fish that washed ashore.
Bring along insect repellant. You are in the ‘jungle’ here, and in the early morning or late evening
hours you will want it.
The food quality varies wildly, making rollercoaster sweeps from high school cafeteria fare to
grilled lobster tail and bananas flambe’. There is a lot of recycling. Do not be surprised when you
see last night’s chicken nuggets in the morning buffet lineup. With the large selection, it never
kept us from finding something great for every meal. You are allowed to make one reservation in
either of the specialty restaurants for every three days you stay. We enjoyed them both, but I
recommend you book yours soon after check-in. They can fill up.
Completely on the plus side are the Star Friends entertainment staff. They work all day running
the scheduled resort events and then provide the entertaining shows in the theater at night.
Vibrant, friendly, talented. This may not be Vegas, but then I never felt Sigfreid and Roy actually
cared whether or not I was personally having a good time while I was in town.
A few more recommendations- if you do rent a car you can save some money by booking your
own snorkel, dive, or tour excursions in town. Just steer clear of the time share hucksters.
Likewise, the souvenir prices are much cheaper in town than on the resort, and in town they are
cheaper still a block away from the ocean. You can also save money by converting dollars to
pesos in town. The locals will round in their favor if you pay in dollars, and the resort rounds
virtually the same way on converting your currency at the front desk. In town away from the
shore you can do much better and make your money go further.
Sunday is the only day with no cruise ships docking. If you want to do an excursion or go
shopping without worrying about crowds, make this your big day. Prices and difficulty making reservations fluxuate with the number of ships in port.
For all the tiny wrinkles, Cozumel and the Iberostar in particular are still fabulous gems. Given a chance, the resort staff can overcome any inconvenience and will go above and beyond to make your stay exceptional. They missed a wakeup call we requested, but did what they could to make up for the error (yes, I do know what you did and I thank you!) You get back what you give and more here. They want you to be happy when you leave- not because you leave.
‘All inclusive’ or not we tipped at every turn because, frankly, we would have been embarrassed to have let such superb effort go unappreciated. Tip your housekeeping staff and you will luxuriate in wild displays of what our daughter has dubbed, ‘towelgami.’ A bit of appreciation shown to the bar staff meant that my ‘usual’ was already pouring when they saw me approach the bar. These folks are all genuine, and they will give back tenfold any kindness you show them.
We felt pampered in paradise at the Iberostar and blessed to have seen the underwater treasures of Cozumel in Chankanaab Park and the various reefs. Come here, stay here, get yourself in the water and you will understand. In Cozumel, paradise comes in a different wrapper than it might in New York or Los Angeles. We are pretty modest midwesterners. We found we prefer their version to the saccharine service that comes with the stateside big city creature comforts.
Come for the island, the parks and the spectacular reefs. Come back because you know they honestly want you to. Thank you, Iberostar!

• Stayed January 2005
24 Thank wuv2dive
Bartlett, IL
Reviewed 22 September 2004

I stayed at this property and several other Iberostar Mexico properties over the past couple of years. For those of you who have not been to this resort or an all inclusive, remember these facts before deciding where to go: Iberostar Cozumel is a pretty laid back resort. It is very small compared to the resorts on the mainland. There will be some walking to get from the lobby/ restaurant/ bar to the rooms/beach/pool. It depends on what you find more important. The walk is only about 5 minutes so it is no big deal. If you are a diver, ask for a room near the beach and dive center so you don't have to lug your things back and forth. That of course will mean that when it is time for breakfast or dinner you will have the entire walk to consider both ways. If the lobby/restaurant/bar/entertainment/disco area is your thing then try to get a room close to the front of the hotel so you will be close to those things. To me, the food is wonderful. Some nights are better then others but overall very good. This is my opinion. The resort has to try to please everyone, not just us Americans. The German, French, Spanish, Italian, etc. aren't looking for the same things that we are. Some of the things that we look at with wrinkled up noses pleases them a great deal. Fair is fair. They also have to make things that kids will eat and recognize. The nightly buffet has different main courses each night. You will still find the regular offerings each night but some things do change. Also remember that there are only 2 restaurants at this resort besides the buffet and one of those is the pool bar buffet converted each night to a steak house. Very good but no air so be prepared. The other is the Mexican restaurant that I found to be very good. If you are the type that wants a different sit-down dressy place to eat each night, this is probably not your place. There are no waves to speak of on this side of the island. All the resorts face west. You get the sunset here, not the sunrise. If you seeking waves to play in you will either have to visit the East side of the island which will cost you extra or stay on the mainland where the resorts all face East. If you are a diver on the fence about where to go, stop looking! This is the place. This resort is the closest one to Palancar Reef and has a superb dive staff. Dressel Divers. They have a website that you can visit and pre-order dive packages at a reduced rate before you even get to the resort. There are resorts that are pretty much dive only and if that is all you want to do, stay there. For a mix of diving, entertainment, friendly service and fun,fun,fun, stay here. The rooms are on the small side and have a curved wall since the buildings are round. They are separated in to small 4 unit buildings. If you stay on the second floor they have a thatched roof. Nice but not as well air conditioned. The beds are kind of hard but you can ask for extra padding to put under your sheets and that did the trick for me. There are many things to do here and around the resort. Remember that because this is the last resort on the island, it is the furthest from town and the cab is not exactly cheap. Try to share one if possible. The last time I went, I never left the resort. There is plenty to do here. I personally love that this is the last resort because you don't get many people walking by on the beach since there is nothing past us. In conclusion, your trip is what you make of it. Everyone could find something that they don't like or want to complain about at any resort. Someone ultimately will have a bad experience like the previous person did. I assure you that was a fluke. It doesn't make their trip any better but don't think this is a regular occurrence. Most of the posts on this site are favorable, as they should be. Iberostar is a great place if you know what to expect and don't go have huge expectaions about how things will be for you. Just go with the flow and have a great time. If you have already been to this resort, you know what I mean. Still deciding, give it a try. You won't be disappointed. I will be there Nov 27 - Dec 4. If you have any questions about the resort, feel free to e-mail me. I will be honest about everything. I do not work for or have any affiliation to Iberostar. I just happen to love their resorts. Thanks, Steve

12 Thank Steve_Wanders