“Fantastic dive trip to Iberostar”
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 2 November 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar from Oct. 17th thru Oct. 24th. After reading most of the reviews and our experiences from our trips to several other islands in the Caribbean, we went in with average expectations and Iberostar over delivered. We went to Cozumel for what most people do the diving. We use Dressel Divers at the resort even though there are some mixed reviews, they were outstanding. We did two dives per day for 6 days and did not dive the same site twice. The first dive was 80ft to 110ft and the second was 50ft to 70ft, we did not have to come up as a group so the more experienced divers could stay down longer and when you did the boat was right there to get you, the divemaster was always the last one out of the water. The pre-dive briefings were excellent, the boats were large and not crowded, only 8 divers with the divemaster, the crew always helped you with your gear. Hello to Erich our divemaster he was great, always pointing out interesting things to see underwater, now I know why Cozumel is one of the top dive sites in the world.

As for the resort it was wonderful, the grounds were beautiful, the rooms were nice and clean. The weather was great it only rained one afternoon for five minutes, the pool area was where we spent the rest of our afternoon after diving it was beautiful and very clean. The food and drinks were good and plentiful always something different, the staff at the resort were always willing to help if we needed anything. There were parrots, flamingos, peacocks and lizards to look at above the water if you are not a diver. Hello also to Poli, Becky and the rest of the staff. We will return!!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,071)

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2004

This hotel was suppose to be a 5 star hotel but I can honestly say it was more like a 3 star. The ac is controlled by motion detectors so when you are asleep it will automatically turn off. My bathroom smelled like sewer. My sisters roof was leaking and their idea of fixing the problem was moving the bed over to the left. As for my friends room, their shower drainage backed up and she called the front desk 3 times and still no one came until she walked to the front and demanded someone come since she first called 2 hours ago (by the way, the walk to the front desk is not very close). They served the same food everyday. And when it is gone they do not refill it so eat as soon as it comes out. The drinks sucked. The only way you will get a good drink is by tipping the bartenders, go figure because this vaction was suppose to be all inclusive. The phones in the room do not work so don't try to call others who are on the trip with you. I have much more to complain about but I will leave this up to you.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2004

Love the Iberostar Cozumel. My girlfriend and I thought everything was great! Couldn't understand the negative reviews on trip advisor? We've traveled extensively and realize "this is not America" and each and every place we visit is unique. Dressel divers were great! Florian, a.k.a "Mr Toadfish", was the most enthusiastic dive master we've ever had. Ask for him and you won't be disappointed. We're so impressed we'll be back in December! Thanks Iberostar and Dressel divers. Don't forget that the staff's misfortune (monitarily) allows us to travel so affordably!.....Leave lot's of tips...It's well deserved!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel from Oct 9-16th, and had a great time. We have been to Cozumel before and have stayed at the neighbouring resort - Grand Occidental which was also fantastic. (Both are great but very different from each other - neither better - just very different in every respect) I can honestly say that the Iberostar exceeded my expectations and we could not understand some of the complaints other people have stated on this website because all components of our trip were very positive. I guess we were very fortunate.

Check in was very fast. The room was very quaint and extremely well kept. Our maid kept it spotless and refilled our fridge each day. She also left flower petals with cute towel animals for us, and somehow knew exactly when we would be scuba diving because our room was always cleaned while we were on our morning dive.

We were situated close to the Dive Shop - Dressel Divers - which was perfect. We didn't use the pool once because we prefer the ocean however they always had a ton of activities to participate in, and I would definately recommend this resort to families. We do not have children however for those that do.....The "Star Friends" staff were always able to keep a lot of the kids occupied with fun games and activities. Moreso than other resorts!

As for the food and mosquitos.....The food was fine. There are the two a la carte restaurants you can book aswell as the buffet for variety. We went into town for dinner two of the nights, because we really enjoy San Miguel and the restaurants there. You have to try the local fair to really experience Cozumel. I highly suggest going to The Lobster House. It is AMAZING! Mosquitos - There are mosquitos and red aunts however bring repellent with some deet and you will be fine. Part of the charm of this particular resort is that it is lush and covered with vegetation. Take that into consideration, along with the fact that this is their wet season and you should expect mosquitos. If you do not like the "Tropical - rainforest like" atmosphere this resort isn't for you. If you do appreciate how fantastic this is - you will fall in love with the Iberostar Cozumel.

Now the DIVING!!!! We loved the dive schedule at Dressel Divers which is located at the Iberostar Cozumel. You can book your dives early and still have the whole day to experience Cozumel. Our divemasters were great! I have to extend a special "Thank you" to Florian at Dressel Divers. If you want to dive with someone who truely loves diving and wants you to have fun....dive with Florian. He is so incredibly enthusiastic about Scuba Diving, you want to dive all the time. We requested Florian after diving with him our first day and did as many of our dives with him that we could. We also dove with Jeremy who is very experienced. Not only is he a Dive Master, but is also an Instructor. He puts you completely at ease while diving, and I would suggest Jeremy to anyone who wants to learn to dive. He will teach you properly and safely. I also want to mention that Dressel Divers is extremely professional....they have classrooms and take the safety of Diving very seriously. Also I almost forgot - another aspect about Dressel Divers at the Iberostar Cozumel that is very attractive is the the Dive Masters are from all over the world and speak numerous languages. Florian is from Germany, Jeremy is from France, and Becky is from England. This was an amazing experience!

Cost of Diving - they will give you a discount when you book your dives. You can save 10% when booking at the resort if you book through your vacation rep, or if you pay in foreign currency at the Dive Shop. You can also save 15% if you book your # of dives ahead of your vacation online through the Dressel Divers website. Thank you Dressel Divers for making our trip as special and as great an experience as it was!

We had a great time at the Iberostar Cozumel. There are a lot of things we did not take advantage of because we just didn't have enough time, but the option was there. We met some amazing people while we were on vacation and everyone had very positive things to say. This is a great resort and they cater to a huge variety of clientele. We plan on returning in December and in April. Hasta Luego!!!

7  Thank Eve
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2004

We just returned from a long weekend at Iberostar Cozumel October 14-18. This hotel is by far one of the nicer ones on the Island. The rooms are clean and well kept, the food was good, the staff was incredible and work very, very hard. The hotel is south of town and I would recommend renting a car which is relatively inexpensive and easy to do. The other option is to taxi in, but that can add up quick since it is $19 each way. The inconvenience of being "out of town" is far outweighed by the privilege of being able to walk out to the beach and enjoy the beauty of the island and the reef. Most "in town" hotels have an ocean view that consists of several cruise ships lined up -- no thanks! As for the beds, mosquitos, etc that I've seen postings about.....we never saw a single mosquito, and if you've truly experienced Cozumel during the day, the bed is more than comfortable at night! The food was good, the pool very clean, the drinks were potent, the beach was incredible, the staff incredibly talented(the evening shows are VERY entertaining and fun - a must see) and hard working. We will definitely stay at Iberostar when we return to Cozumel -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2004

We just got home from a week at Iberostar Cozumel (Oct. 2-Oct. 9). What a wonderful experience! This was during low season, so the hotel was not as full as it would be during another part of the year. Check-in was quick and easy. We were in our room within 15 minutes. There were 3 adults in the room, and we had plenty of space. We were only in there to shower and sleep, anyhow.

Our chambermaid took special care to keep our room clean for us. One day, he even cleaned the sand out of our watershoes for us. Everyday we had a towel animal waiting for us when we came back in from the pool. Our minifrig was stocked at least every other day, and we always had plenty of bottled water in the bathroom to brush our teeth.

The bathroom was reallly nice. Much bigger than what we are accustomed to on a cruise ship. It has a glass shower and a really large mirror over the sink. The first day, we realized that when we showered, the water tried to run out into the bathroom floor, so we folded up a towel and placed it at the foot of the shower door, which resolved the problem.

There was nowhere to hang wet stuff when we came in from the pool, except in the closet, so we took a hanger and secured it between the two curtain rods, directly in line with the air conditioner's path. This worked really well. However, due to the high humidity, nothing really ever completely dried.

We had an upsairs room closer to the pool, but far enough from the main traffic that we still had peace and quiet. We did have a few visitors at night that woke us up...one night we had a frog and a couple of nights we had lizards. No big deal, we knew what to expect, so it just added to the tropical setting.

We saw several iguanas along the sidewalk, as well as lizards, birds, macaws, parrots, flamingos, and a peacock.

The pool area was really nice. It was great having an activities pool separate from a swimming pool. This way we didn't have to worry about bothering people who didn't want to be active.

There was always something going on. We enjoyed playing water volleyball with the activities staff. We also shot some water basketball. The activities staff worked really hard to keep things going. Some of the activities they offered were water volleyball, water basketball, water polo, kayak racing, water balloon fights, rifle shooting, darts, step-aerobics, water aerobics, beach volleyball, yoga, children's activities, and dance lessons. There were even free scuba lessons in the pool! However, if you only wanted to watch and relax, the staff was okay with that.

As others have mentioned, the activities staff are the ones who put on the shows at night. They do an EXCELLENT job. We were very pleased with the entertainment. They work extremely hard to put those shows on, and they have to go on whether they feel like it or not. They did a great job getting people involved in the pre-show games and dancing. I always looked forward to going to the theater at night!! Jerry, Edwin, Alex, Eduardo, Luis, Charlie, Milagros, Diana, and Michel were great. I miss them all already!

The food was good, but I was ready for something different by the end of the week. They always had plenty of variety at each meal, but the variety was the same every day. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't bad...just a different culture than what I'm used to. I'm kind of a picky eater, so I think others enjoyed the food a little more than I did. However, I didn't starve! Dinner at night was pretty good. One night they served lobster and one night they had raw steaks and chicken for us to pick out, and then they would grill it for us right then. I really liked the steamed veggies and the fruit.

The mosquitos seemed to enjoy me. I sprayed with repellant every evening before going to supper and the shows, but I still ended up with about 35 bites. However, one person that was with my group only got 3 bites the whole time. So, I guess it just depends. I heard while I was there that if you start taking garlic a couple of weeks before you go, they will stay away from you. I will have to try that next time.

Overall, we had an excellent trip. We were very pleased with our vacation. We are already trying to decide when we can go back. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a true "tropical" vacation.

4  Thank adatappstate
Colorado
Reviewed 4 October 2004

We had a great time at the Iberostar Cozumel!
I will start from the beginning.....When we arrived the check in process was great! The staff was very informative & nice! We requested a main floor room close to the pool and they worked that out for us with no problems.
The rooms were small but nice. To us it didn't make a difference because we were only in our room long enough to shower & sleep. The housekeepers did a WONDERFUL job keeping the room clean and stocking the fridge! :)
Anytime we called for something (ie. iron, towells) they were at our room within 5 minutes. I couldn't have been more pleased with the service.
The pool was great as was the swim up bar!
Our favorite bartender was Fernando! He's a banana mama expert! :)
The beach is ok. It is very rocky in the water so bring water shoes no matter what! We snorkled around the peir and that was great.
Warning: The mosquitos were bad! Bring bug spray and you'll be just fine! That's part of being in the jungle. :)
We went fishing one day and our private charter boat picked us up at the peir with no problem. I read other reviews where people said they had problems with this????
Food was good for an all inclusive. We were very impressed with the specialty resturaunts. The steak we had was better than most steak we get here in the US. They did a great job cooking it! The mexican resturaunt was also very good.

Our favorite part was the shows at night put on by the star friends! These guys & girls were great!
We miss them a bunch! The disco was also a bunch of fun! I would recommend going to the shows, they are sooo funny! Charlie will make you laugh a bunch! Edwin, Eduardo (sp?) & Charlie were our favorite star friends! They were awesome!
Check out was just as great as check in just very sad! :(

I would highly recommend this hotel! I tried to figure out what the heck people were talking about on some of the bad reviews I read. I have absolutely NO reason to not recommend this hotel.
We would like to come back with our kids next time! :)

Hope this review is helpful!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member