“Fabulous Dives”
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 27 April 2008

My husband and I loved staying at the Scuba Club Cozumel. He is a diver and I am a non-diver. The dives were great for him although one should be aware that they are drift dives. The food was amazing with huge, nutritious quantities. The menu was exquisite. The rooms lovely (but the beds are hard and pillows are a little inadequate). The Dive Masters /boat crews were wonderful. The snorkeling right in front for the non-scuba diver was great! A fabulous place for divers! An enjoyable week of stay. We were not impressed with the mandatory list of tipping but worked it out to satisfy ourselves.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Scuba Club Cozumel

Reviewed 27 April 2008

Scuba Club Cozumel is a super resort for diving and relaxing.
The food is copious and excellent, the rooms are spacious and simple, the service is friendly and courteous.
Abundant towels make the holiday enjoyable.
A short walk into town or to the large supermarket make the location ideal.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We booked with Bay Adventures travel about a month in advance. Great deal coupled with frequent flier miles for the flight. We were there for 5 nights. Our primary reason for the trip was to get in a lot of dives....haven't been diving in over a year due to medical conditions and couldn't wait. Scuba Club caters to divers and it has everything you need. The food was pretty good, and probably a lot better than what you can get at the restaurants on the island. They didn't have Mexican FIesta night while we were there so that was disappointing. I think our room was the highest one up...had to walk up a lot of stairs, but the view was awesome and we got our exercise in. Our room was modest, yet nice. There were some little bugs/gnats that liked to come in at night and set up house in the bed, but that was our fault for having the door open too long. There is no TV or telephone, so be prepared for that. The diving was convenient and the dive boats were not too crowded. The shore diving was good to check out your gear and get a quick dive in at sunset or at night. There are some fish and critters out there to see. The hotel was in walking distance to downtown and shopping, there is also a Walmart type store across the road to stock up on snacks and drinks...just make sure you have pesos. Although they advertise a visa card there, they don't accept it or any other currency. We watched the SuperBowl on the big screen at Margaritaville and their chips and guacomole was great. The only snafu we had was on our departure at the airport when Delta did not have our NW reservation and it took us an hour to check in. Definitely will return to Scuba Club when we visit Cozumel again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2008

We had a great time at Scuba Club. The staff was excellent and the food was very good. My wife and I left the kids at home and went for a week of diving and relaxing. The divemasters were good, especially Luis (request him). Most all of our dives were for an hour plus and we were not rushed. The boats were excellent and we had no problems. Other people we visited with at other resorts reported being rushed and coming up with over 1500 PSI. The rooms were very spartan and there's not a lot of fancy stuff here. We knew that and loved it. The rooms have no TV or phone but with the numerous bars, etc. on the island you can keep up with the worlds happenings. The food was plentiful and authentic but you could still order your favorite US junk food off the menu. We gained weight on this trip. Many people we met at the resort had been coming here for years... The shore diving wasn't the best but was very easy to access at the hotel. We did a night dive right off the dock (fighting a little current) and saw octopus, scorpionfish, lobster, eels, and the other usual suspects. The only negative things about the resort is that they don't offer many other dives other than the two a.m. dives. There are some others but the afternoon activities seem to center around cervesas and siestas. Not that this is bad but we usually do 3 plus dives a day. The town is within a 10 minute walk. There is a "Chedraui" store ( a mini Super Wal-Mart with everything you'll ever need) within a 5 minute walk. The streets and people were very safe even late at night. US dollars are excepted everywhere, but you'll get pesos in change. The festival on Sunday evening in the downtown square is not to be missed. The cruise boats are everywhere and the cruisers are funny to watch with their beer bellies, black socks, and balloon hats bobbing as they stagger from bar to bar. The shopping is everywhere. But once you passed the gates into Scuba Club all that faded away.....Can't wait to go back...

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MTcaribtraveller
Reviewed 3 February 2008

I went to scuba club for spring break with my teen aged son. There were several other single parents with their teen aged sons and the boys banded together and had a blast. I went there to dive. I dive everyday. Scuba Club is a diving only hotel. And it's VERY accommodating for divers. They have a couple pools to rinse off your gear, lockers and every room has a patio to hang your wet clothes. The rooms are very basic. No t.v. or any other electronic device except a radio/alarm clock. I didn't see or use any computer while I stayed. However another review says there is one. The food was good. The BLT sandwiches are by special request and are the best I've ever had with the thickest, most bacon I've ever seen. My day looked like this, wake up, eat breakfast at hotel, go out to the pier right from the hotel, jump on a boat, dive, eat lunch at hotel, go around town or read a book in the afternoon on a hammock next to the ocean at the hotel, eat dinner at hotel, go out to Carlos and Charlies at night, repeat. The town center and very large grocery store are all within comfortable walking distance. I also enjoyed getting my gear on and jumping in the water right from the hotel to make sure I had the correct buoyancy before heading out on the boat. However, after the first shore dive from the hotel, it's pretty boring to do again. My only complaints are they didn't mail me their welcome letter. I missed the mini carnival at the town square on Sunday's, soft drinks and tips aren't included in the inclusive package. Also in the welcome letter was guidelines for tipping. I thought the tipping guidelines were excessive. You can't put tips on your credit card. They must be in cash and I wasn't prepared.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank sukidiver
Reviewed 2 February 2008

I have been to Scuba Club Cozumel at least 10 times in the past 25 years. I find that almost all of the other guests are repeaters also. If you are a diver this is the place to stay! Nice, well-kept dive boats from small to very large to accommodate any size group. I always go with a large group of about 20 divers and we ask for the largest boat. Some people would call it "cattle boat" but these are 20 of my nearest and dearest dive buddies and we love hanging out together esp since some of us only see each other on these trips. Boats have dedicated camera rinse buckets and dry areas. All the diving is drift diving so it is not like you are all together underwater anyway and it's great to catch up during our deco time between dives. Some divemasters are better than others but all are good. Every boat has a radio and safety equip. It is all drift diving and occas the drift is more like being on a jet. Scuba Club is on the water and they have a very nice pier on site for easy boat loading. They load and off-load tanks. You are responsible for your own personal gear loading. Each guest has an outside locker (bring your own lock) for their gear so you don't have to keep wet stuff in your room. Crew changes your tank between dives and assists climbing up the ladder and will take anything you hand them (cameras, fins, BC, etc). The diving is def different now than before the hurricane but it is still great.. Nitrox is available. Shore diving is good with a unique easy entrance to the water. My husband and I have snorkeled the shore on afternoons and seen juvenile rays and sharptailed eels ten feet from the shore. My husband found a large octupus right next to the shore. The shoreline is rock/coral with easy entrance/exits. A palapa with 10 hammocks is right next to the water (see pic) and makes for a nice afternoon read/nap. They do have a small freshwater swimming pool (see pic) which few use since the ocean is so accessible. The rooms are all different and beautiful (see pics). No TV or phone in the rooms but each has a small fridge. Great AC and ceiling fans. All tile floors. Each has a patio or balcony with chairs and table. Huge showers with really great water pressure(!) and unending hot water. Morning dive boats leave at 8:30 am and return around 1 pm. Lunch is quick - they always have a "diver special" lunch that can be served immediately or you can order off the menu and it takes about 10 minutes. Large variety of Mexican and American lunch food (great french fries). Dinner always has three entree options, two soup, two salad, and two dessert options. Vegetarians food is available. Free WiFi in and around the restaurant. There is a TV in the lower restaurant. All of the waitstaff is the same from years ago and all speak English. Housekeepers do not speak English. Just two blocks away is the Mexican equivalent of Walmart called Chedraury where you can buy anything and they will take US$ (with a good exchange rate) The hotel office provides a free safe deposit box for each guest and boxes are accessible from 8 am until 11 pm. The grounds are lovely. The owners are on site supervising every day - Tim runs the dive operation and his wife Paty runs the hotel side. The hotel is located about 1 mile south of town. I can't remark about nightlife because we are too tired to partake after diving though once a group went to Carlos & Charlies for just drinks and all were sick the next day. All meals are included in Scuba Club's plan and we never eat off the premises because when we did once go into town to eat at a highly recommended restaurant, those of us that went became very ill while those that stayed at Scuba Club were fine. Cocktails, tea and soda are not included and you run a tab for those that you pay on checkout. Tea and soda are $2 each and no refills - typical of all Mexican restaurants. Coffee and juice are included with the breakfast buffet. In summary, as a diver I would not stay anywhere else on Cozumel but Scuba Club but if you are not a diver you won't appreciate how great a place it is.

• Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank STLMERMAID
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Our experience at the Scuba Club was great! I stayed with a buddy, since my wife couldn't get off work. The room was OK, pretty basic, but the meals and diving were very good, especially for the money. We were placed on the same boat every day which had anywhere from 6-10 divers. Francisco, our divermaster was competent, pleasant, and professional, and went out of his way to find and point out interesting creatures. He looked out for everyone's safety, but was not authoritarian and allowed people to stay down as long as their computers and air permitted. Every day we would start out with a deeper dive (around 80 feet) in some of the more spectacular reefs of Cozumel (Palancar, Santa Rosa Wall, and my favorite, Columbia). We would stay at 80 feet, going along walls, and through canyons and swim-throughs with large coral structures that looked like 30 foot apartment buildings. These deeper corals were mostly spared from the recent hurricanes. After the 30 minutes were up, we would ascend to a shallower portion of reef where we could stay as long as our air (and computer time) permitted. For the second dive (after a 1 hour surface interval) we would go to a shallower reef, closer to the hotel and dive for up to an hour. The shallower reefs were more affected by the hurricanes, but divers who had before and after experience commented on how nicely the reefs were rebounding. There were many varieties of fish, along with seahorses, turtles, rays, nurse sharks, octopi, eels, etc. I got many great photo opportunities, which can be viewed on my website @

I really enjoyed the clientele at the Scuba Club. They were all dedicated and knowledgeable divers (many repeat customers)and it was easy to get groups together to do shore diving, wreck diving and twilight and night dives. The wreck dive on a large Mexican Minesweeper led by Carla was excellent. We spent 45 minutes going through all the rooms and floors of the 220 foot vessel, which is rapidly becoming a beautiful artificial reef. Nestor, who led the night dive was able to locate and tease out the Cozumel Spendid Toadfish for some great photos. He also had some great tips for photos on the wreck dive.
All in all, it was an excellent vacation, and the best value I have experienced. I will definitely be back!

Mel Moncrieff (Nursing Instructor and diving enthusiast)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends