“Punta Sur the open Aquarium”
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have been coming to this property for almost 30 years and continue to have wonderful hospitably with the entire staff. It's nice to see the same people year after year. Food was great and you don't have to worry about feeling hungry.

We were diving with Manuel on a beautiful day at Punta Sur Cathedrals. Have to be on your best for this dive. Once in the water we had a large eagle ray swim right by us in 95' of water. Then as we swam through the swim throughs we continued to see more fish in large schools. Then we had two large eagle rays swim right over out heads. That was cool! These large coral head formations are second to none in this world. Manuel was the master of killing the lion fish. If there is any marine life he will find it for you.

The dive staff continue to make sure everyone is happy and taken care of from a diving perspective. We still think to this day that this is one of best diving resorts in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Reefcat

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent 5 nights/4 days of diving Feb 2014. Really comfortable, friendly hotel with professional divemasters, excellent staff, and a great location. The shore dives were almost as fun as the boat dives! The hotel rooms were kept clean and comfy, the food was top notch, and the diving wonderful - it really is an excellent place to experience the underwater part of Cozumel.

Room Tip: Only stayed once but room was clean, comfy. tiled and perfect for 1-2 people. No complaints!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank yonagigai
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel is clean and well run, but pretty basic. They have gone out of their way to make drinkable water readily available, with coolers scattered around to refill water bottles. We did the all inclusive option including three meals. The food is good, but nothing fancy. Although, we tried to escape for a nice dinner, there wasn't really much within walking distance that had good reviews.
There are no elevators.
It is really all about the diving. We are beginning divers, so we haven't a lot to compare against. The dive shop is right there, and that was very convenient. Raymundo took good care of us. Our dive master, Chokey was great, being knowledgeable and finding lots of interesting sealife.
One hint. Our boat the Observer, was very SLOW. Every day, boat after boat passed us on the way to the dive locations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pabuelo
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Scuba Club Cozumel is the place to be in Cozumel if you're diving. We were there from 25 February to 4 March. From pre-departure to check-in, the room, the staff, the food, the diving, the dive team, everything was absolutely perfect.
We stayed in Room 55, which sports its own entrance and "hangs" over the ocean. The room was spotless, beautiful, and just what we wanted. Despite warnings from other travellers over the sound of cylinders at 6 am, we did not find this bothersome at all - people are diving! Cylinders sound like diving! And they usually only started at about 6:45 am (so you've got time to wake up and go to breakfast).
Sofia and her team are amazing. Sofia was extremely helpful from the beginning with my initial enquiries, and accommodated every request. For example, we wanted the 7-day package, but with only 4 days diving (this after I'd already changed my booking a few times). No problem for Sofia! She dived right in to help us.
The restaurant food is ok and staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were amazing, and lunch is most welcome when you roll off the boat straight into the restaurant. Lunch is also an opportunity to try some local fare with the daily special. We took the lite option (breakfast and lunch only) so that we could experience some night life. And were very lucky to be there during Carnaval! An amazing experience. Having dinner downtown is well worth it.
The dive centre, dive masters, boat crews, etc. are very professional and organised and will go the extra mile to accommodate you and make sure your dive is exactly right for you. We had Choky and Manuel as divemasters (2 days each). Both were extremely nice, very accommodating, and pointed out the most amazing life. The boat crew go out of their way to make sure you're kitted up and comfortable. What more could one want from a dive experience?
We will definitely be back. There's a reason this is rated one of the top 10 dive resorts in the world. My only regret is not staying longer!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are gorgeous. Some corner rooms are over the dive centre. If you don't li...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Scuba Club Cozumel is exactly what it says it is. A hotel designed by divers for divers. If Diving is your thing then this is the place for you. With the dive shop and pier on site you don't have to walk far to get your equipment on the boat. Although not luxurious, my room was spotless and comfortable. The setting was very relaxing when not diving. I was in room 77 which is right over the dive shop, convenient as an alarm clock because they start knocking tanks at about 6:45 am. A great sound to wake up to when your are ready to dive. The staff from front desk to housekeeping was always friendly, efficient and helpful, a real plus from the customer service standpoint. The food, particuarly the Mexican Fiesta night, was what I expected and did not disappoint. The equipment lockers were convenient (bring your own lock) and eliminated the need to bring all of your gear back to your room every day. There are drying bars on every balcony or porch which is convenient to dry your wetsuit and other gear out if you want to. A quick and easy shore dive can be had right of the steps of the resort. Although this review is not specifically for the dive shop I have to say our boat crew and dive masters Jesus and Pepe were great. As others have said if you are looking for onsite activites other than diving this hotel is not for you. With that said it is a convenient walk to the city center with all the shopping and eating you could ask for. The concierge will arrange for a taxi or a car rental, they come right to the door of the hotel, to tour the rest of the island. This was my first time at SCC but I Know it won't be my last.

Room Tip: Remember some of the rooms are over the dive shop and can be noisy if you are trying to sleep in. T...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joey D
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I just got back from SCC. We stayed a week there with 2 other couples. Here are some thoughts.

First of all, Sofia handled all the online booking and answered all of my questions. She could not have been any easlier to talk with and was so very helpful. Thank you Sofia!

We all booked the 7 night/5 day dive package. We chose the "Lite Meal" option which is breakfast and lunch. For dinner we ate out. We have some favorite places on the island we like to eat dinner at. The food was above average for the price and always had good options.

We had all levels of experience with our group. We had one person getting her certification all the way to a Dive Master with us. Also ended up spending time with a Dive Master that has owned thier own shops. We all ended up on the same boat for all of our dives and there was no issues. Our Dive Master was Nestor. He was so amazing! Nestor took the time to help the folks that needed it and to stop and find amazing things to look at. He is one of the major reasons I know we will return. I will ask for him specifically. He would send up divers as they were low on air and stay down with the last person as long as they wanted. This was great for some of the "slow breathers" in our group. Got to experience several dives over 1 hour.

Some things other people mentioned that is worth noting again. Make sure you bring a lock for the lockers. You will want to use them during the day and any small lock will do. I bought one at Walmart. Very basic. This resort feels so secure we all mentioned how safe it was on multiple occasions, but you still want to lock your stuff at night. You should bring a hanger for BC's and wetsuits. The resort has bars to hang them from on each balcony, but you will need hangers. (Both locks and hangers are for sale at Dive Store across the street). There is no elevator. If you have trouble with stairs ask for a lower room. We didn't have any issues, but I could see it might be an issue if you have bad knees. The stairs are pretty steep and hard to carry luggage or equipment up and down.

The town is about a 15 minute walk depending on what part of town you are going to. Lots of shopping and dining. If you don't like to walk it was $5 or $6 each way in a cab. The bellhop is quick to get you a cab if needed. Two of our favorite places you can walk are Casa Denise and Pachos Backyard. One you will need a cab is Casa Mission...amazing food and atmosphere.

We arrived at the resort about 2:00 and went right into the water for a shore dive. The resort has a very decent place for shore dives and they are unlimited. We also did a night dive from shore. Lots of great things to see.

The last full day there we had no dives scheduled. We decided to go to the Cenotes on the mainland. There are freshwater caverns that you can dive with an Open Water Cert. Some of the group had Cave Certs and were able to do the more advanced dives. The resort will get you in touch with a man named German and he will set up the whole day for you. You meet at the ferry in the am and then everything else is included. I recommend everyone check these out at least once. It's a pretty amazing underwater experice. You will need your gear and flashlights for these.

All of our group had a little different rooms. We were very fortunate to get room 14. It is ocean view away from the Dive Shop so no tanks in the am. It actually had enough room to sleep 7 people even though there was only 2 of us. The balcony was huge and was a great place for the group to get together for a beer at the end of a day of diving. The others had room 13 (2 beds with a nice view and balcony) and room 11 (1 king bed with a view that was a little obstructed by the restaurant).

We were there 2/21-2/28 and the water temp was 81 everyday. I wore a 1mm and the others either a skin or a 3mm. No one complained about being cold.

The only thing I might complain about would be no TV in the rooms. We knew this before we left so I downloaded some movies on my iPad. We were so tired by the end of the day we never watched them. I still would have liked to have the option to watch some TV before bed, but we lived with it no problem. Also, we were not told that there is a 25.00/person allowance at the bar/restaurant. We did not use it and bought our own beer. We found out when we sent to check out. Oh well.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some things, but feel free to write me if you have any questions.

Yes - I recommend this place for divers!

Room Tip: Room 14 is amazing with a lot of room and huge balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank LaddM
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I booked a 5 day trip for Thanksgiving week through PADI Travel to get my son's certification dives completed. I booked the 5 nights / 3 days of diving package for each of us, plus my son's certification dives and an extra day of diving for myself, for a total of 7 days of 2 tanks/day boat diving.

First, the good: I really liked the resort - simple, spotlessly clean, not too fancy. The dive staff and resort staff were great. I have no complaints about the room, the resort, or the staff. I really liked the facility and location. If I were making a decision just on that basis, I'd definitely stay at Scuba Club again.

The OK: the food is good, but not great. I booked the breakfast & lunch only package. Purchasing dinner at the resort if you didn't get it included in the package is VERY expensive for what you get. That just gave us an incentive to walk into town and explore the little local restaurants where we could get a full dinner plus a beer and a limonada for about $10 total - much more interesting, and a lot less expensive.

The bad: We arrived Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning my son did his first two checkout dives off the shore. The instructor was great. That afternoon I went out on the boat for 2 dives. Wednesday, it was too windy - 30kts plus, big waves, and the port captain declared the port closed for diving. Thursday, same story. Friday morning same story, finally late morning it finally calmed down enough that my son could complete his checkout dives off the shore. Saturday, the day we left, of course finally the wind let up and the dive boats went out. None of this is the resort's fault, after all they can't control the weather. The dive staff was just as frustrated as the guest, and my son's instructor got him in the water on Friday as soon as conditions had calmed down. So what's the problem?

I expected I would get a refund for the unused diving days - but no, more than 3 months after the trip, I'm still waiting. PADI Travel has been no help at all. I was offered a refund for 3 days, it should be 6. I am very disappointed and upset with the poor communication from PADI Travel on getting a refund for the unused portion of the trip.

So if you book here, beware...if the weather doesn't cooperate, you'll have a really hard time getting any kind of a refund. Look into trip insurance. Maybe booking direct with the resort would be a better bet rather than going through PADI Travel.

This was my first trip to Cozumel, and unfortunately we didn't get to see any of the world class diving that Cozumel is known for. And if you're not diving, there's not much else to do on the island. Every day 3 giant cruise ships pull in and vomit out thousands of passengers who all swarm into the little town which has a row of shops along the waterfront all selling the same tourist junk. It is much more interesting to get a few blocks back from the malecon to the shops and restaurants where the locals go, and a lot cheaper too.

I wish my experience had been better, if not for the hassles getting a refund, I'd be giving this place 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family