“Diver's Paradise”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Los Angeles, California
“Diver's Paradise”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for a week and just loved it. It's a no frills hotel with amazing convenience for divers. They have an area for your dive equipment to dry right outside your room and lockers to keep your stuff in too if you chose. It's a very short walk from any of the rooms to the boats, and they have rinse tanks near by for all your equipment as well. The food was amazing which made us wish we had done the all inclusive package that includes dinner. We decided to just do breakfast and lunch to save some money, but in the long run it ended up costing us more to eat in town. Everyone is so nice and to my surprise most everyone spoke English very well. I do know some Spanish but not very much so I was glad communication was never an issue here. We dove with DM Ariel the whole time and just one other couple most days on the scuba II. Ariel is amazing he was always super helpful and seems to have a lot of experience which made me feel very at ease. He also solved my foggy mask issue that I usually have. We dove with Brian as well twice for afternoon dives and he is also amazing! He can spot things from miles away underwater I don't know how he does it! The whole dive operation seems incredibly safe and well run.

I would like to address the comment I saw before mine about the people who were upset that the guard didn't let them hang out and wait for a friend. Good! personally I'm glad that they don't let random people hang around especially when a lot of people leave their expensive gear outside their room. I felt good about how there is always a guard on duty and now I'm glad to hear that scuba club is watching out for guests. This just makes me want to come back even more! Thank you scuba club for the amazing time, we will be back.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a downstairs room if you want to avoid hauling your stuff up stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andrea M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Reviewed 15 June 2014

scuba club Cozumel is a great place for divers they have a great way of organizing there dive boats and it is just diver friendly. if your family is certified you will have a great time and if you have a little one like me i am 11 and i got certified in 2014 at scuba club Cozumel my dive master his name was William and he did a great job. also the food there is the best our sever his name was Alberto he was great scuba club Cozumel is the place to go .

Room Tip: get one of the terraces facing the water if you can if you don't it is still really great
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Grant K
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It’s been 3-4 days now & we are still mad about the way we were treated here. In the past, we have gone diving, snorkeled in front, ate in the restaurant here & relaxed in the hammocks here. We have also had friends stay in the rooms here. NEVER again will we have anything to do with Scuba Club Cozumel! In the past I have highly recommended you. Note this has already been shared on all of our Facebook pages too. We’ve told all of our friends about our horrible experience.

We arrived at approximately 11:45 am. Our plan was to relax in the hammocks & have a drink while we waited for friends who went out on the morning dive boats. When they got back we were going to eat lunch in the restaurant. The security guard at the gate asked us why we were there & we told him. Which he didn’t understand. Because when we started to walk towards the hammocks he insisted that we were going the wrong way & sent us to the dive shop. There was no one at the dive shop. I know that the boats come back sometime around 1 from past experience. The reason we got there early is because we had been out shopping & doing other stuff on the island.

We get to the hammocks. Set our stuff down and sit down. About the time we sit down a guy comes up & asks why we’re there. We tell him the same thing. He says we can’t wait there for our friends. I ask why and he just says we have to go. Note there was NO ONE at any of the beach chairs, in any of the other hammocks, at the pool or in the restaurant. I said really even if we’re buying drinks now & lunch when our friends get here & he says no.

I then go to the main hotel desk. The lady opens the window but can’t bother to stop talking on her personal phone call. I asked her the same thing about buying food & drinks while we wait for our friends. She said FINALLY said no. She then said something to her friend on the phone about us. I only understood a small portion of what she said because I speak limited Spanish. I really am surprised that they’d turn away business.

We have NEVER been treated so rudely. Most places are ok with you being on their beach if you at least purchase drinks. I’d think you’d be the same since your hotel appeared to be pretty empty & there was no one else around. From now on we’ll take all of dive & dining business elsewhere. You might want to evaluate your staff & your priorities. Especially in this day and age of social media. A minimum of 600 people probably saw our Facebook posts & how many will read this? Just something for you to think about.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank DnJ81005
Timothy M, Manager at Scuba Club Cozumel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I'm sorry you feel that you were treated rudely. We take the security and privacy of our guests very seriously. For that reason the security guard asks that you check in with the dive shop if that is your aim or the front desk. You did neither. Our facility and services are for our guests only. When you were asked to go to the front desk you refused and when you did get to the front desk some insults were thrown at our receptionist who was on the phone with the dive shop finding out if your friends were diving with us, they were not. I believe the security guard also got a few choice words from you upon your exit. These employees were only doing their Jobs, and never raised their voices or hurled insults.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

They had 6 dive boats (at the time I wrote this review) on their Dive fleet for different purpose and size of the group . They arrange the divers into different groups , even in the same boat divided into group of 4-5 divers per dive masters . They are very safety conscious , care for detail. Beginners are special put in a group.
I love their big boats , Reef Cat and Reef Divers and Reef Star are 3 big boats , spacious ,for changing gears, plus with big camera tables. I had pro- level video camera housing and movie lights ,so I prefer those boats like Reef Cat or Reef Divers. So No one could step on my expensive camera or drop some heavy stuff on it.
The downside is The camera water Tank is not big enough, if over 3-4 big cameras are loaded at the same time. The Camera Lens or housings may crash each other. There was a trip that 5 divers had big size camera housings and 5 divers with small cameras .

Their hotel room are small and plain, not luxury type, so I did not stay there.

They had excellent facilities for Dive gears rinse tanks,(But change water only once a day), fresh water shower, and lockers for storage. also nice hammocks , beach chairs , patio tables etc. for relaxation and watching sunset, perfect scenery even on the ground floor. They had their own private Pier.
Those big boats are not speed boats, so NOT very fast but very comfortable with fresh water shower , water tanks for cameras and toilets and ice coolers , Oxygen equipments.

They also let you to do unlimited Shore dive just outside their pier, 20-24 feet deep. For those just arrived they can check out their equipments and skills in shallow water , free.
I did one night Dive with a group of 7. Minimum 6 before they will send a boat to go out for night dive. They use a small boat called Observer - 33 feet long only but still had a small camera table.
A short ride to Paradise Reef. Very clear water for that nights dive to about 45 feet. i could see the moon in the sky even underwater.

I did check the Carbon Monoxide level in all the tanks that I use for diving. So far during my vacation there total 12 dives in May 2014. all of them pass the CO test. results of all the tanks that were tested are 000 to 001 that is 1 ppm or less. There are no trucks or cars parking near their filling station. Excellent location in a private setting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank D C
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our dive club stayed at SCC the last week of April for an all-inclusive week of diving, dining and relaxation. The staff, food and accommodations were terrific! Our room (58) was on a terrace overlooking the water. It required a bit of "agility" negotiating the stairs (odd angles and a somewhat low overhang on which a taller person might bump his/her head), but hey, we're divers and if we can't handle stairs or overhangs we probably shouldn't be diving to begin with!! The room's sleeping area was large and clean (easy to sort out all our gear) with a somewhat small but beautifully tiled shower. Two double beds (a little hard but not bad). Gorgeous view!! No TV, radio or phone made it a paradise! It was great to be off the grid for a few days (Room 58 is next to the dive shop so our "alarm" was the sound of the tanks being filled/loaded each morning around 6:10 am -- that was perfect for us). Yes, we had internet if we wanted it (the resort provides decent wireless but we left our phones/iPad off most of the time) and there is a TV in the main dining room. We were there to dive, though, and dive we did. We were lucky to enjoy wonderful dive conditions and the dive masters, captains and crew were very helpful. The boats are in good condition and dive sites are full of interesting life and structures (corals, walls, wrecks, sharks, goat fish, eels, rays, turtles galore, lobsters, seahorses, tons of macro-life and only one lionfish!). The hardest thing for me was adjusting to the relatively fast current that comes with drift diving in these waters. It wasn't ridiculously fast (2 or 3 knots) but when you're not accustomed to it, you have to learn to approach things you want to see by turning yourself around and kicking well before you get to your target, otherwise you have to kick like hell to get back to it and suck up a lot of air in the process (at least that was my experience). The plus side is that you get a fabulous workout to help burn off all the calories you consume at the restaurant! The meals are delicious and creative!! We quickly learned to order "the special" for lunch and the dinners were inspired! Steak, seafood, vegetarian entrees, everything we tried was wonderful. The only thing that could be improved is the service line for breakfast. It's a buffet, but servers staff the line and give you portions - plus between each guest, they replace the covers over the food. It probably helps them control costs, reduce waste and keep the food hot/safe, but it can take twenty minutes of standing in line to get breakfast and if you're toward the end of the line and they run out of an item, you're out of luck. Fortunately, I'm not a picky eater and was okay with whatever was left, but I know some folks were a bit irritated with the process. My husband & I figured out a work-around by mid week -- one of us grabbed a cup of coffee and a banana & yogurt (those are all self-serve) and got a table (usually outside overlooking the hammocks) while the other stood in line and asked for double portions. We rotated who stood in line each morning so it wasn't so bad. They start serving at 7:00 am (not a minute sooner) and the line starts forming by 6:45... if your boat is going out at 8:15, I'd recommend being in line before 7:00 OR wait until 7:45 if you can eat fast and aren't picky. There will be food to fuel you for your dive (the water's a bit cold so you definitely need to eat) but alas, the bacon and Mexican scrambled eggs may be gone! The grounds were very nice & clean and we were within about a ten minute (or less) walk to downtown (near the business plaza). We walked all over - down side streets, exploring off the beaten track -- and always felt safe. SCC has a gate that's staffed by two gracious guards who always pointed us in the right direction for whatever we were seeking. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms 55-58 are on the terrace (third floor) overlooking the gulf. 55 is sort of extra special as i...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MaynGirl
Metairie
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Scuba club Cozumel is he perfect place to stay if you're looking to dive in Cozumel. The boats are nice, the divemasters very good and friendly, the food is average, the rooms plain but adequate. The house reef is incredible and the hammocks on the water perfect for a surface interval. I would not recommend bringing a non-diver here. There is nothing else to do. Have been several times and will continue to go back.

• Stayed July 2013
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds are immaculate and the rooms comfortably cool and clean. The focus is diving here so if you need entertainment after diving, bring it yourself as there are no tv is the room.

Definitely try shore diving at night, we saw multiple eels, Tiger rays and one baby octopus!

The resort is within walking distance of town, grocery stores etc so if you are on a budget, food can be had for cheap.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends