“Misrepresented”
Review of Rancho Buenavista

Rancho Buenavista
Ranked #61 of 158 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: An ancient civilization, that’s the Mayan culture, an incredible journey to our past, discovering the meaning of our traditions; Horseback Riding “ the Mayan Frontier “ is the perfect adventure to all the people who wants to learn about our culture and traditions in our beautiful rainforest, come and ride with us and join us in this mystical experience and complete this magnificent activity in our Ecolounge Beach for a relax time swim and enjoy our Caribbean brezze
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was part of a combination horse ride / beach resort excursion booked through Carnival. It was a nice trip, just not as nice as it was represented to be in the literature. The ride was listed as six miles but was much closer to one mile. Although our main guide, Cleenton, gave us instructions to keep our horses five feet behind the horse in front and to not ride in between two horses, his companioin, Luis, was in the back driving the riders in the rear like a herd of cattle. They were continuously right up on the other horses and three or four abreast.

A complimentray beer, soda, or water was listed in the booking info, but we were only offered water or soda after our ride. They sold us bottled water for $2 in the truck before we arrived at the ranch instead of giving the complimentary water to us before the ride. There was no compimentary beer to be had.

The beach excursion was to an "eco-resort" which appears to be named Punta Morena according to a Google search. This was a very pretty place. However, they had a red flag on the beach and told us the current was too strong to go in the water although every resort/bar we passed had people in the beach water. I think this was to keep the guests up at the bar to buy the overpriced food and drinks since we were only allowed to be there for 70 minutes. My bill was $85 for three quesadillas, a bowl of ceviche, two beers, one cocktail, and one soda. That's above market value for Houston, Texas nevertheless Cozumel. The food and drinks were decent though. The ceviche was nice.

Despite some very nice aspects, this excursion did not satisfy me for the $90/per person price. Way too rushed throughout. The majority of the trip was spent on the truck ride which circumvented the whole island, which has it's own appeal but was not what I envisioned for the trip.

5  Thank bkk074

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked a shore excursion to Buenavista on a Carnival cruise for myself and two friends. They got to pick turtles in Grand Cayman, so I got to pick horses for Cozumel. I'm an experienced rider, but neither of them had ever been near a horse before. We were picked up at port in an open truck with "Mexican A/C" also known as the wind. The ride to the ranch was nice, lots of beach views as well as local sights. When we got to the ranch we met our guide, Julio, who gave us really quick riding lesson and got us on our horses. Julio was great. He was funny and really attentive and reassuring to the beginners in the group. Me being the smallest person, of course I got the biggest pony--a tall gray gelding named Nemo. The horses were all well cared for and extremely well trained, dead broke and 100% safe for beginners and kids. More experienced riders might be disappointed with the lack of spirited animals, but like Julio said it's a pleasure ride not the Kentucky Derby. So after about 15 minutes of orientation, we were on the trail, riding through the jungle and stopping a few times to view Mayan artifacts and and caves. A warning to visitors not used to this region or climate: bring your own water, wear long pants and sleeves, and bring bug spray. The mosquitoes are insane. Being from Mississippi, I wasn't annoyed anymore than I would be at home, but a couple people in our group were pretty miserable. This is not a tour for those expecting luxury and pampering. This is a real ranch, and you are riding through the real jungle. Dirt, sun, bugs, Mexican Squirrels (iguanas) everywhere! After the ride, we were taken to a beach with a beautiful lagoon for some relaxation. One thing I loved about this excursion was that it wasn't super commercialized. Both the ranch and the beach were very low-key and not all "Buy this! You must enter and exit directly through the gift shop only!" My friends and I had a great time on the ride; it was definitely a highlight of the vacation for me!

2  Thank Jess D
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Hi! my husband and kids had an awesome time, we encourage you to take this excursion. Our guide was Aldo, he was very knowledgeable and gave us a royal treat.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I booked this excursion through our cruise ship and we had a fantastic trip! We had Julio for a guide, they picked us up in downtown Cozumel in an open bus, so it was very windy but it was hot so that was fine. Wear loose pants, as it was 98% humidity and in jeans it was difficult.........but we still really enjoyed our ride and our guide Julio was a great tour guide! our horses were healthy and great to ride. We are experienced and another guide Juan let us have a little run (three of us separately) so that was greatly appreciated. We would definitely go there again and it was very safely done, we had to wear helmets.

1  Thank leahb
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My husband and I booked this tour through our Celebrity cruise. We really enjoyed it. The ranch is set up to accommodate riders of all abilities, and the ranch staff did a very good job of matching up each rider with the appropriate horse. Our guide, Clinton, was great. He is very knowledgeable about ranching as well as the area. The ruins were fascinating, We saw a lot of wildlife, and learned about some of the local flora as well. The visit to the beach was also nice. The water was not suitable for swimming the day we were there - currents were at dangerous levels - but we enjoyed some time on the beautiful beach, and had some excellent guacamole and salsa along with drinks at the bar. We would highly recommend a visit to the ranch.

1  Thank Susan K