“We had a great time”
Review of Rancho Buenavista

Rancho Buenavista
Ranked #59 of 164 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: An ancient civilization, that’s the Mayan culture, an incredible journey to our past, discovering the meaning of our traditions; Horseback Riding “ the Mayan Frontier “ is the perfect adventure to all the people who wants to learn about our culture and traditions in our beautiful rainforest, come and ride with us and join us in this mystical experience and complete this magnificent activity in our Ecolounge Beach for a relax time swim and enjoy our Caribbean brezze
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I recommend this to anyone who likes being outside, animals, learning about cultural history. Our guide Pato was so knowledgeable and genuine.

1  Thank Marie T
in 12 reviews
"forest"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Booked this excursion through Disney Cruise Lines. Wonderful way to see the island away from ths cruise terminal. The ranch was well equiped and our guide Pato was great.. Highly recomended!

3  Thank Beason172
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We visited the ranch as part of a combined horse riding/beach excursion. The drive to the ranch was approximately half an hour from the international pier and the bus provided by the ranch was air-conditioned and comfortable. Our guide, Pato, was friendly and helpful, selecting horses according to riding ability. There was the option to purchase a bottle of water before the ride and there were also two souvenir shops within the ranch. The horse riding lasted for about an hour however the replica 'Mayan ruins' did not add much to the experience. After we got back to the ranch we were given a complimentary drink and then transported to a beach resort about 20 minutes away. Overall it was a fun trip during our time in Cozumel.

1  Thank jstickler
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I just returned from a Royal Caribbean Cruise and this is the tour that I took in Cozumel. It was a 4.5-5 hour tour. Cost was $89. It included only one beverage. Overall I am very happy with the tour. My tour left from the pier and the meet time was 1245 for a 1300 hour departure. Our guide was Julio. The ride to the ranch from the pier was about 30 minutes. It was not an air conditioned bus--it was actually a converted truck (open air with cover) with benches for you to sit on. Initially I thought it would be hot but the air quickly made it a decent and cool ride (air was referred to by Julio as "Mexican Air Conditioning" Like all tours they do try to separate you from your money every chance you get. They highly recommend water to you on the ride and then sell you Sam's Club bottled water for $2 a bottle--so I suggest you bring your own water on this tour.

The ranch has a store and a bar. They hawk goods but you do not have to buy anything. You do sign a liability release. They make you wear riding helmets. While it is great that they take safety seriously I did not like the helmets because they were still wet from the sweat from previous riders. And they also smelled like old sweat. So wear a baseball cap backwards a handkerchief or some other kind of skull cap to place a barrier between your head and the stinky helmet.

Julio gave a quick riding lesson and explained the basics of horseback riding. I thought it was very good instruction. My wife learned a great deal from it. Julio also offered intermediate horses for those of us who had previous riding experience and the beginner horses for the others. He allowed the intermediate riders to ride ahead and gallop--which I found to be a treat. The trail lasted about an hour. I was not really impressed by the stops showing mayan caves and artifacts but I was mainly there to ride horses and ride I did.

You need to wear long pants on this tour or you will get your legs burned because of the friction on the saddle. Also wear closed toe shoes for stability.

When the ride ends you pick up your bag which you checked in for free when you arrived. You get a soda or a water, use the bathroom and then back on the truck. The truck then takes you to a beach but there was red flag which meant you could not go into the water. The beach also had a restaurant with incredibly high prices but very nice views and breezes. I recommend you not eat at this place, enjoy their pool, hammocks and area but wait till the tour is over and back on the ship to eat.

On the way back you cut through the residential area of Cancun and get to see how folks live on the island.

Overall a good time and I do recommend this tour if you wan to ride horses.

2  Thank jocampo
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The wife + I visited the ranch as part of our royal carribean cruise.we paid 40 quid (ish) each.the bus had no air con,no seat belts + blasted out mexican music. Some (posh) people may winge about this,but for me this is what going on a day trip should be about. I really felt I experienced mexico. The horse riding was a laugh. Personaly I don't like riding, but the wife wanted to do it. I was made to feel at ease as a beginner and our guide, carlos, was very helpful + above all responsible (which is a seller for a mexican!!). We then had a beach transfer + we bought some banging lunch on the beach. Do this trip, its authentic and no bull. Email for more advice or reviews of the carribean - willmattcolt@hotmail.com

1  Thank willmattcolt