“Oh Yum!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I'm back on Coz for the 6th time...number 3 for my wife. We have our favorite restaurants but wanted to try some more. Last time some friends said La Lobsteria was good. Both of us love fresh seafood but we'd run out of time on that trip. So this time (last night, in fact) we headed out to La Lobsteria. The seafood menu was pretty extensive in this small, out of the way restaurant. You can't miss this bright red and white building with the palm thatch roof. Inside it was well lit and comfortable. It's always a good sign when the locals eat there.

I got the Shrimp Cozumel (large shrimp wrapped in bacon with a cheese sauce) and my wife had the Coconut Shrimp. My shrimp were awesome, but my wife's were probably the best Coconut Shrimp we've had anywhere; the coconutsauce makes it. The plate was so large she couldn't finish it.

After dinner we sat there looking at each other and could only say "Oh, Yum!"

2  Thank dmalcolm72

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The owner, Omar, treated us to a special lobster dinner. He brought out about 4 gigantic lobster tails to let us look them over and we opted for the two medium sized ones as he suggested. They were cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth.....Local veggies were added to the meal which were just perfect! We ate in the patio under the moonlight, along with several other couples and enjoyed the company. As with most outdoor restaurants in Cozumel, the mosquitos let us know they were there but our host graciously gave us some repellent to put on our ankles and arms and after that, they bothered us very little. Heck, whats a mosquito or two when you can get a gigantic lobster tail and all the fixins for little dinero! We went back the next day for lunch and I had the fresh caught gruper and my wife had the king crab! It was enormous! She couldn't finish it all so luckily I helped her out. It was exquisite! Tender and succulent were both our meals! You have to go here if you visit Cozumel! This was one of our favorite restaurants while visiting there.......Skip all the hamburger and taco joints as this place will keep you coming back for more!

2  Thank gigem74
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Fantastic experience! I had the lobster tacos and my buddy had the king crab and we were both raving about the place afterwards. My tacos were simple, but the lobster was so sweet and delicious I nearly lost my mind. My friend loved his king crab and could barely finish it. The service was personal and friendly, but not over-bearing. It was completely dead when we went, around 7 pm, but don't let that deter you, this place is great.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I don't write reviews, but these were so far off, I'm writing one now. We went based on tripadvisor reviews. Looks from the hotel staff and taxi driver when we told them where we wanted to go should have been enough to change our mind. We were the only couple there at 8:00 Tuesday night. We ate outside because the fishy smell was too strong inside. Large lobster tail was 700 pesos and looked to be about 16 oz. We instead tried to order the "king crab," but they only had one. We ordered the small lobster tail and their only crab, which wasn't a king crab. Server was very friendly, but everything took forever, including the drinks. The food did not look appetizing and tasted fishy, and the crab was very difficult to eat. Overall terrible first meal on Cozumel.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

A trip to Cozemel can not be complete without a visit to this restaurant. It's not far off the beaten path but feels like its worlds away. We sat out on the patio under a tree canopy. A perfect setting! The Mosquitos were out in full force but we were given repellent that kept them away so we could enjoy our time here. There is a quaint indoor area to sit also if you prefer (no ac though) The food was superb. We ordered the seafood platter for two...actually 2 of them! Everyone had a different favorite...me and my son, the lobster tail, my dad, the king crab, and my hubby,the flounder. Squid rings and a wonderfully seasoned shrimp was also on this ginormous platter. You can't go wrong ordering this! My daughter got the lobster pasta and my son got the steak. Both very good.
And then there's Omar, the owner and our server. He is so friendly and went above and beyond to make our dinner a memorable experience. He threw in several extras for us and was especially good with my kids. (Omar..Jose and Poncho say hi, by the way!) We were the only ones at the restaurant that night and he made us feel like family. You can tell he loves what he does.
This meal was definitely one of the highlights of our vacation. We can not recommend it highly enough! Don't miss it!