“A very good, inexpensive, well appointed place.”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Swimming Pool
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
blasted-u...
Cochrane, Canada
“A very good, inexpensive, well appointed place.”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 for a stay in February 2014
people found this review helpful

The good:
Good cheap accommodation within walking distance of the centre of town.
Getting two bedrooms at this price is almost unheard of, so it's one of the best deals in town.
Well appointed with AC, Wi Fi, full kitchen, and good, firm beds.
Having 2 beds in the second bedroom for our teenage boys was a real bonus.
The apartment is nice, and most people will be happy with it.
Close to the grocery stores.
Pool is small but refreshing if it's hot out.
No TV, but who comes to Cozumel to watch TV?

If you want a fancy, touristy hotel on the beach, this is not for you. If you like the kind of neighbourhood where you bump into the locals, cook your own meals, and want to keep a lot more dough in your pocket, this is just the thing.

Areas I see for improvement:

Payment methods quite frankly suck. You have to pay the deposit via a bank transfer-which only appears to work if you're in the mainland U.S. or paypal. Then when you show up and want to check in, you're told that the remainder must be paid in cash, and you don't get a receipt or check in slip of any kind. Not the end of the world, but it's an annoyance if you're not prepared for it and were hoping to use a visa card.

Finding the place the first time is an adventure all its own. The owner says that all the taxis know the place, and can take you there no problem, but I never met a taxi driver, or single local who had ever heard of the place, or could tell you where it was. Add to this the fact that there is no 'Casa Coral' sign out front, and the only address you're given from the owner tells you what block it's on, but not the house number. The only way we found it is that he had arranged for another guest to park herself outside and flag us down as we drove by. Oh, and the point on the map on Tripadvisor is about 8 blocks off, so you can't use that.

Dear owner, please put the pin on the map in the right place, give out the actual street address, and get some sort of sign out front so people can find you.

The washing machine. Read the other reviews. The washing machine in this place is legendary, taking a whole day to fill and do a load, electrocuting people, etc. For us it worked, but it did take forever and the water wouldn't drain out, so we had to take out soaking wet clothes.

Dear owner. Please either spend a few hundred bucks and replace the washer, OR rip it out and send people to the laundry service down the road.

No cleaning supplies are present whatsoever, which is inappropriate for a long term rental like this. We had to buy dish cloths and detergent for our 1 week stay, and we could have really used a broom and dust pan.

Dear owner, please place a broom, dustpan, dishcloths and dishsoap for guests to clean up as they go. This is an incredibly cheap way to keep people happy.

My two bits.
Keith

Travelling group: Teenagers
Fl, U.s.
Reviewed 28 January 2014 for a stay in October 2012

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Older travelers
Rob N
Marianna, Florida, United States
“Stayed at Casa Arrecife, another property by same owner.”
Reviewed 26 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

No complaints. The price is great! This family owns 5 rentals at the moment. This is our 2nd stay in one of the rentals. If you're looking for an all-inclusive service type place then pay 5 times more. This is a house with a couple bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. The ACs work great but we didn't even use them all the time. Opening the windows and doors allowed a nice cross breeze through the living room and kitchen. Close to groceries, water, and even the beach. Very secure location. Great places to stay if you want to experience the real Cozumel. We will definitely be returning.

Liked best: The price
Liked least: Everything was great
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Delson
Reviewed 11 March 2013 for a stay in March 2012

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
People with disabilities
ablynch
Des Moines, Iowa
“Spend a little more and be comfortable.”
Reviewed 2 March 2013 for a stay in February 2013
people found this review helpful

My husband and I brought our 3 kids with us to Cozumel to show them things we had enjoyed last year We needed two bedrooms and our previous lodging only offered one so this looked like a good bargain. We like to stay in small places and get into the local culture, but we were so uncomfortable here it made our stay stressful, all we wanted to do was get out. We planned to stay 10 days but left 3 days early due to all the problems we had.

We asked for the house closest to the pool and got the one furthest away, the pink house. It smelled musty and mildewy, like a wet basement. It made my kids cough all night and gave me headaches. When we checked the AC units were full of junk so we gave up using them and opening the windows, but you're not supposed to leave them open if you're not there so we never really got the place aired out and it made me nervous at night. The caretakers are the owners grandparents, and they brought over plug-in air fresheners but I didn't use them because covering the smell wouldn't fix it and would just further irritate our lungs. The people in the green house left the day we moved in, and we asked to move to that house to escape the smell but were told it had been booked by people that were coming in two days. I felt like they could have moved us, cleaned up the house we were in and then given it to the newcomers.

We were unaware that there was a TV only in the green house, which was a problem because we let our 4 and 6 year old watch their favorite show to settle down at night. Good thing the wi-fi worked in our unit so we could get to Netflix--our neighbors in the yellow house couldn't get a signal and they didn't have a TV either. I see that many of the things that I emailed complaints to the owner about have now been added onto the description, this being one of them.

For five people we were given 4 towels and one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom for our 10 days. The hot water has to be turned on in advance of use by flipping the breaker and runs out after one shower, so some of us were always getting cold showers. It said in the description that a 20 liter water would be provided, which I took to mean there would be a water dispenser and refills as we have had other places, but this means they are supposed to give you ONE bottle of water, and ours was only 5 liters. After that you buy your own, which caught us totally by surprise. There were no washcloths or anything the wipe counters with, no paper towels or spare linens, no soap for bathroom or dishes, so plan on going shopping right away when you arrive.

It is a bare bones place, not comfortable or convenient. The dishes are stained plastic things that look like they were left behind. The first day we got groceries and came back to find the kitchen crawling with ants. When we emailed about it the grandfather Ariel came over and saying, "Here again?" sprayed Raid all over the walls in the kitchen. I didn't want to store food there after that; we kept everything in the little fridge just in case and ate out instead of cooking.

There is a huge washer and dryer for the 3 houses, but it fills at a trickle so washing clothes takes hours. When my husband was pushing clothes into the water he felt a jolt and realized that there is a short that electrifies the whole washer and he was getting shocked. The dryer timer also doesn't work so it will run forever unless you stop it.

The pool was always cold as it was chilly the first days we were there so we hardly used it. The furniture is not comfortable at all, and with the smell making us miserable we tried to stay out as much as we could. There is nothing very close to run out to grab a bite and no phone. I never saw a cab in the area. If you walk about 2 blocks to 30th it's a main road with plenty of taxis and a grocery store another 2 blocks over. We rented a jeep and were much happier with our ability to escape our accommodations.

Due to Carnaval everything was full on the island, but I contacted our rental house on the mainland and we were able to go there early so we left. I was in touch with Ruben, the owner, throughout our stay, and he apologized and said he would refund some of our money but we never saw anything come back to our account. He told us this is the way things are in Mexico, but we have stayed in other places and did not have any problems like this.

I picked this place because of the good reviews but we were pretty miserable, even though the kids adapted well at first. We couldn't come back from a day out and wind down; the smell was terrible and the inability to be comfortable anywhere but in a bed split us up into our separate rooms. The ants all over made the kitchen seem kind of gross. We call it our learning experience: pay a little more for comfort and your trip will be so much more enjoyable.

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
2 Mar 2013
I am extremely sorry for our bad experience with us. It was never our intention and we do not try to rip anyone off. Our previous guests had just left the house and they stayed for months there, the ants must have entered or reproduced while the other guests were there. I did not know.

I promised I'd returned you part of your money, which I did while you were still on the island so you could find a better place for your needs. I returned about 35% of the whole rent.

The only thing I changed on my description was the water, It's always said that only the Green unit has TV, We do not provide water anymore because my grandfather is very old now and he cannot go buy water anymore for guests. When I am there we do it but that is something extra. We do not provide guests with personal items It was never my intention for you to think that, that is also why I sent you the rules and procedures of the house for you to read it clearly specifies that.

Regards,
Ruben Erosa
Genevieve...
Victoria, Canada
“Fantastic Property for a Good Price”
Reviewed 19 February 2013 for a stay in February 2013

Excellent accommodations for a very affordable price, We slept 5 people comfortably for a week. Full kitchen and a supermarket 5 blocks away, air conditioned rooms and lights in the pool for nighttime swimming. Close walk to the downtown markets and the cantinas.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Travelling group: Friends
VT_Herrin...
Saxtons River, Vermont
“Good choice for small family or group”
Reviewed 21 January 2013 for a stay in January 2013

A fine place to stay for a family or group on a budget. Taxis are not too difficult to find, or perhaps you will have a rental car. The area is a couple blocks from a more affluent part of town and is a mix of run down houses and nicely maintained ones. As you walk into town the streetscape improves considerably. All in all this is a good value for the money, large units, well maintained, lots of living space, a washer and dryer available for no charge, walking distance to a supermarket and restaurants, a long walk to the center of town (but taxis only cost a few dollars about town). AC works fine, purified water supplied. There are often interesting folks renting the other two units and you may find some instant friends. The mapped location on Trip Advisor is wrong, the units are on Calle 10 Norte between Ave 35 and Ave 40.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Away from the tourist crowds
Liked least: A bit too far away from the tourist crowd, center of town
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing