“All Good in General...”

Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just came back a few days ago from Sunscape Sabor... In general the place is changing alot.
Rooms are all good in the Building I was in, Pools are nice and clean, Food as change alot since our last trip a few months ago... As change for good. Reception people probably the best department of the resort. Restaurant service (waiters) is Ok, good be a bit better but I have seen worst. All in all its a good place, but Yes its in transition... Entertainment I think it good be better, the Kids Club is very nice thought. Will go back later this summer, so we can see how its going, I am sure it will be the place to go in Cozumel pretty soon, its a very well managed place, so I am sure they will just get better and better daily....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank the_traveler_69_10
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Dear the_traveler_69_10,

Thank you for your objective review as a returning customer. Your comments about our improvements regarding rooms, food, staff, cleanliness of pools, and our Explorers Kid Club are also encouraging to our team. We take great pride in the quality of our customer service and amenities, but it is of course rewarding to hear that we had successfully met your vacation needs. With regards to entertainment we have made some necessary changes that I am sure you will experience on your return trip in the late summer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,369)

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I have been a member or the Reef Club since 1999. Not the most luxurious resort in Cozumel but for my purposes the best. It is located out of town so it is quiet except for the activities at the resort. I can leave my room and be in the water snorkeling in two minutes and see reef fish, lobsters, small stingrays and other sea life. What you see depends on the time of year and time of day. This may the water was clear and there was some sunshine between clouds so the snorkeling was good. Even had a eight foot ray come in one day right next to me and saw some three to four foot barracudas. My cousin likes to lay around at the pool and beach, learned to sail the little sailboats and snorkel some. He has been to the Reef Club about ten times so I have gotten good use out of the membership. Lots of changes down there this year. Hope they are for the good. Cant tell yet. Only problem we had was no room ready when we arrived and no good place to change into our beach clothes. Staff was very helpful and took care of anything we needed. Food was ok, sometimes good to excellent.

Room Tip: Everyone likes the ground floor rooms that walk out on the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank fwbooks

Dear fwbooks,

As a valued returning customer for the fourteenth time we truly appreciate your comments about our snorkeling, food, staff, beach, and water sports were also encouraging to our team. We take great pride in the quality of our customer service and amenities, but it is of course rewarding to hear that we had successfully met your specific vacation needs. I can assure you when you return you will be pleasantly surprised with the changes that will continue to implement as we strive to improve for the better everyday.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed at Sunscape Sabor May 18th – May 25th. We booked this hotel knowing that they would be completing remodeling about 1 month before we got there. We didn’t see any construction going on at the resort. We usually stay at Iberostar when we go to Cozumel, but they were having a DEAL for this resort and we decided to try it. We saved about $600.00 staying at Sunscape Sabor. Was it worth it????? Maybe????? Yes, the savings almost paid for all of our diving. And we go to Cozumel to dive…

We booked an Ocean Front Room and were very happy that we upgraded to ocean front. We had room # 3121. The room was very nice and had plenty of room of us and all our dive gear. The bathroom was a little tight with the door placement, but it was a nice bathroom. For some reason, they didn’t give us shampoo & conditioner every day. We didn’t have HOT water the first day we were there. A call to the front desk and we did get it. Some days, you just had to turn on the hot water and wait…….sometimes you got warm water and sometimes you didn’t. They also didn’t fill our mini-bar every day, they would leave us bottled water, but not the beer or soda. They only filled it 3 times while we were there. I did call the front desk and they would just bring me water…….We had lots of bottle water :)

The resort is very beautiful. The beach can’t be beat. Much better than Iberostar. Yes, it is rocky, just make sure you bring your water shoes. Snorkeling was very good and we saw lots of wildlife in the swimming area. The beach is the best part of this place.

So now to the sulfur smell. Yes we did smell it. Not in our room. There seems to be certain areas where you can smell it. Walking to dinner to Portofino, there was an area where you could smell the sulfur. I wouldn’t have wanted a room in that area. We also smelled the sulfur a couple of times when we were rinsing the sand off our feet by the beach shower.

So now to the food and drinks. The bars were very good. You could always get a drink and the bartenders were very good. The food was fair……..breakfast was very good, lots of things to choose from. Lunch was pretty good also. The buffet was open and the seaside grill had good snacks. The guacamole was very good and the cook was very nice. Dinner is another matter……very limited!!!!!! You only had 2 options for dinner. They DID NOT open everything for dinner, even though they resort was pretty full. And the website says you have the option of 5 or 6 restaurants for dinner. NOT!!!!!! We were told the pizza place, De Mario, would be opening while we where there, but it never opened. They would open Portofino or El Patio and then the Market Café or the seaside grill. We had pretty good dinners at Portofino & El Patio, they were just a little slow. We thought that when the Market Café was open that it would be a buffet, but it was not. It was just 5 different dinners and they had the exact same things the next night when the seaside grill was open. Meat, potatoes, vegetables and rice. They should have had a buffet as an option, because the lunch buffet was pretty good. Friday night, they had a Mexican buffet and it was very good. I just wish they would have had that another night. The same food every night got a little old.

My final thoughts are for the money, not bad…..just not great. If they change a few things, it could be much better. Open all the restaurants!!!!!! I would stay here again IF I found a deal, but if it was full price, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DebD90

Dear Debbie Thompson Dowd,

We appreciate your informative feedback on your recent visit with us. Your comments about our room, beach,snorkeling, drinks and food also served to encourage our team. However, we do apologize for the inconsistencies in our service which you have noted with special mention of the fact that when we are running a lower occupancy we tend to rotate the openings of restaurant outlets at the hotel. Da Mario is currently open at this time and I am sure since you found such a great deal you I am sure you will consider us again for your future dive trip to Cozumel.

We hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

It a 3 star hotel shame Amresorts
Not all rest open, core club closed pizza closed
It a rainy day a lot of people at lobby waithing for some activities no entertemaint team no shows they just reopen this resort...actually they are closing this resort...do not come here

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank allinclusive2011

Dear allinclusive2011,

With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your stay at the Sunscape but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.

We are still relatively new and are unfortunately undergoing growing pains, but I assure you will have made some changes to the entertainment program and things are improving daily.

We are sincerely sorry the hear that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel so that we can redeem ourselves and offer you the service that you deserve.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at Sunscape Sabor May 13-19. Just like many others we were worried about the bad reviews. I guess I could understand the bad reviews if you are an extra picky person who wants a 5+ star resort but wants to pay a cheaper price. We went in to our vacation with a good attitude. There are very few complaints I have and many compliments.

Pros
- the view is AMAZING. I highly recommend an ocean front/view room. The sunsets are gorgeous! We spent a lot of time just sitting on our balcony enjoying the company of our friends and the scenery
- the staff is very accommodating. They work their butts off every day to make sure the guests are happy. Kudos to Enrique at the beach bar, Alberto at the pool bar and all the servers at breakfast. They were great!
- maid service came everyday, our fridge was stocked everyday. If it wasn't we called and they were up in minutes! We always asked for extra water and they were more than accommodating.
- the smell that everyone has complained about? I DIDN'T EXIST! I never once was disgusted by the smell of water and took a shower everyday. We had friends in 3 different rooms and none of them had an issue with smelly water.
- the snorkeling right on the resort is breath taking. Way better than what we paid for in Jamaica. And it was FREE!
- El Patio was by far my favorite restaurant. Good food and quick service. Portfinios was good but it did take a quite bit longer for the food. You are on vacation though enjoy the view and drinks an you will be fine! My recommendation would be to go early!
-the snack bar was great for a quick lunch. We actually never went to the buffet because we enjoyed the nachos, hamburgers and fries. Although the cook at for a mind night snack is not nearly as good as the one during the day.
- the pool bar was a lot of fun! We met many different people there and had a blast!

And now the cons. I really had to nit pick to find cons. Nothing would stop me from going back though.

- I know it sounds shallow but the only mirror in our suite was the one in the bathroom. It would have been nice to have one outside the bathroom so you can get ready to go out.
- the entertainment board was very confusing. It would tell you the activities for the day but wouldn't tell you where they were. My hubby wanted to be in the dart tournament but we could not find where it was located.
-the night time bar only played crap music. Rap and techno. They would have different theme nights of music but that would only last an hour then they would change the music to music that no one wanted to dance to anymore.
- the pizza place was closed but I hear it has opened now.

That's all the negatives I could really find. My friends room had a broken air conditioner and a broken safe and they fixed them both almost immediately. I highly recommend you hire a taxi for the day or rent a car and see the east side of the island. It is beautiful. If you go please goto the new bar Andale, right before coconuts. The owners are so friendly. We recommend the peanut tequila for sure! All and all we had an amazing time on our trip to Sabor and we are already planning our trip for next year. Although the one thing that will definitely change is we will stay for at least 10 days not 7.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dreamingcozumel

Dear Kim Neyer Puryear,

.Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

Thank you for your objective review. We are enthused to hear that we have successfully met your expectations and that you found great value in our product for the price. Your reference to our accommodating staff, room, delicious food, snorkeling and service was also encouraging to our team. We look forward to welcoming home you and your group again in the near future for 10 days. We appreciate your suggestions and mention of areas that we maybe overlooking and will work with Management to ensure that future guests do not encounter the same.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Sunscape Sabor has recently been renovated and from what we conceive they are owned by Secrets next door. We booked with Apple Vacations which gave us quick transport to our resort and also had a concierge where we could book excursions. Arriving at Sabor we were impressed with the bright white villa and colorful paintings and decor. My wife and I were on our 2nd anniversary joined by our friends to celebrate their birthday. Luckily our room was ready but their's was not for another 30 mins. We were whisked away by a bell hop all the way to the other end of the resort by the Portofino restaurant.

This section used to belong to another resort (Regency Park) but was beautifully transformed. Our room, 3911 was very spacious with tile floors, two full size beds, TV and bench. Our friends had a nice couch and not sure why we did not. The room was well air-conditioned and had no problems at all with smells, mold, damage, etc. A mini fridge held soda, water and beer and was restocked. It did take a couple days to get room service and once we reported it to the front desk it was never an issue. Once settled in we were hungry and went to the Market Cafe where you have breakfast each day. Lunch is also available here each day, buffet style. There is also the Seaside Rest. with burgers, nachos and quesadilla's. Best guacamole and pico de gallo I've had in a while and they are generous servings. Don't feel limited by your choices, the staff are happy to accommodate to your needs. The buffet generally carries the same items each day but there is a lot to choose from you can certainly diversify your meals, especially with the giant omelettes. (They will even make an egg white omelette if you ask.)

After lunch we filled up our tervis cups with lids at the bar with some margaritas and hit the beach.
*Tip - If you bring your own cup you can avoid using the small 12 oz. red cups they use.

The beach is surrounded by coral reefs and these beaches were a little more rough but not intolerable like some people say. Do bring water shoes for the ocean because it is rocky and you will scratch your feet. We brought some snorkeling gear (you can rent some for free) and had a great time being followed around by tiger fish.

Friday evening a Mexican fiesta was held with authentic cuisine and grilling meats on site. make sure not to sit too close unless you want to smell like smoke. The entertainment was fun and interactive. We took some candy from the pinata and left it in our room. BIG MISTAKE. The next morning we had bad ants, luckily some bug spray we brought took care of them.
*Tip - Don't leave any food in your room. If you do room service leave it outside or return it, don't leave it in your room.
Being far from everything was a positive as we were away from the commotion of being near the beach or other resorts and walked off all the food and drinks we had. Luckily our friends were in the building next to us. Interestingly enough we learned some of the staff lived in the rooms above us. Going to the resort this time of year was not very crowded and very few kids were around.

Our days mainly consisted of breakfast, lounging on the beach in the morning, drinking and kayaking or sailing. Weather was moderately warm in low 80's with clouds and breeze. Ideal island weather. I will warn you they have some annoying birds flying around. They don't bother you except for at the Market Cafe where they scavenge for food. When we first arrived they had nets up to keep them out, but once they had a photo shoot they took them down.

The only other negative was the photo shoots they would hold throughout the week we were there. It was bad enough when they closed off sections of the beach or kept people confined in a certain area for breakfast. With a sunrise of 6 a.m. they could have gotten it out of the way earlier. Other than that we had a wonderful time celebrating our anniversary with close friends.

Get out of your comfort zone, Unwind, relax and have a cerveza. You are now on island time, not rush around U.S. time. Sabor made us feel welcome and safe. We were well fed with great cuisine from El Patio and poured some excellent drinks from the swim up bar. If there is something you need, only ask and they will do their best to accommodate. I'll make the comment now; not really sure what everyone else is complaining about. We have beach, sun and endless drinks. What more could you want.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bwelzba
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Bwelzba,

We were really happy to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the service, staff, the restaurants, bars, rooms and the general relaxing atmosphere . Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

The biggest mistake my wife and I made was returning for a second year to Sabor. Our first visit was outstanding. This past April 2013 was an entirely different story. We entered the room and thought the toilet had backed up into the bathroom. Much to our surprise, it was the FRESH water that stunk, not the toilet or floor drains. Last year the resort allowed free access to all the restaurants on the three properties (Aura, Sabor, Regency). Not so any more. You have one decent restaurant at night, a beach bar grill and open air breakfast and lunch restaurant that features countless birds whizzing by your head and landing on tables and serving stations. So much for healthy eating. The staff, which seemed to be half of the previous year and maintenance guys were delightful in the wake of all the complaining. We were not alone trying to sort out the broken furniture, stained toilet seats, smelly water, frozen closed drawers, moderately clean room. They never filled the refrigerator once with drinks. Augmenting our disappointment was the smarming salespeople around the lobby trying to sell you vacation time shares. Lastly, we were BOTH sick with Montezuma' s Revenge for a week after the trip from the sewage scented sink and shower water to the cheap dirty plastic cups from the beach bar, or maybe it was the birds landing on the dinner tables and serving stations. The manager heard all these issues and we completed the departing survey with candor. We would not return even if offered a free vacation for ANY of their properties.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 414David

Dear 414David,

With that being said, we genuinely regret hearing that you were disappointed with your stay at Sunscape but however guarantee that this is definitely not a true depiction of our standards of operation and certainly not the typical experience of our guests. We nonetheless apologize for any dissatisfaction and we will certainly share your comments with all the respective department managers in order to avoid any other negative opinions.