“Great Visit”

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Burke
“Great Visit”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our 15th visit to this resort and the grounds look better than ever. The staff is the Best! If you want a laid back relaxing vacation you can't beat this resort. The breakfast was my favorite meal--lots of fresh fruit, to order eggs, and fabulous sausage.

7 Thank suebru
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear suebru,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are so thrilled that you had a wonderful time on your 15th visit to Sunscape Sabor. It is so nice to see that you quite enjoyed the improvements made over the last couple of months.Including our offered amenities such as our staff, delicious breakfast and relaxing atmosphere. We are humbled by your review and will share it with our team members so that we can work even harder to ensure your next visit is better.

We look forward to welcoming you home to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Slovak first
San Francisco
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have wanted to snorkel in Cozumel for many years - it moved to my bucket list about 5 years ago. My arrangements were made through a travel agent-sight unseen- and we couldn't have picked a better place. The facilities were lovely, the service was right on, the beach was super clean (we watched the beach being raked every morning), the food and drinks were excellent, and the room (right on the beach) was perfect. Although the weather was dreary we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here in Cozumel!
I would return to this resort and I recommend it without hesitation.

7 Thank Maureen B
Dear Maureen B,

We are so thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed everything about your vacation to Cozumel. It is so nice to see that you quite enjoyed the snorkeling, friendly staff, room facilities and tasty food during your stay with us. We are humbled by your review and will share it with our teams members so that we can work even harder to ensure your next visit is better.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My new husband and I chose this resort for our destination wedding and over 100 people joined us. We arrived midweek, a few days before our wedding guests arrived, and the resort was almost empty because the Fall is their low season. Once everyone arrived, they accommodated everyone wonderfully. A few of our wedding guests’ rooms had issues such as, the A/C and fridge not working but the resort fixed it. They brought on more staff to help out and opened up more restaurants. Julio, the activities coordinator, was great! He is very outgoing, friendly and learned everyone’s name. Angel, the Seaside Bar bartender, was also very friendly and makes great conversation. He introduced me to my new favorite drink, the Caipirinha, a Brazilian drink that tastes like limeade. The wedding coordinator, Pati, made sure our wedding day was perfect. We emailed back and forth for months, she responded to every question and request and was patient when we changed our mind. The wedding she put together for us exceeded our expectations and we’ll never forget it :)
The resort itself is in transition and a portion of it was being renovated. The renovation was taking place on the far south side of the resort and didn’t bother us any. The food was good but not authentic Mexican cuisine. You have to go far into town for authentic Mexican food. The beach is good for snorkeling and scuba diving, not good for swimming because it’s rocky (wear water shoes). The pools are large and clean. Downtown Cozumel is typical of any beach town with shopping, restaurants and bars. It’s much more relaxed than Cancun. I would recommend renting scooters and driving the perimeter of the island. The have a road just for bikes and scooters that goes around most of the island. The virgin beaches are beautiful!
Overall, we had a wonderful time at Sunscape. It was tough coming back to real life.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are best. Some rooms are in small villas, some are in large villas. The rooms in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank MrsA262813
Paradise, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Visit was Oct 18-26, 2013. Sunscape Sabor has multiple restaurants, pools, health facilities. The employees are very friendly and always helpful. Facilities are immaculate, location is ideal for scuba dive trips, rooms are spacious with great views. The Market Place buffet has a wide variety of choices and waiters Miguel and Ismael always have a smile and take care of you.

Room Tip: Third floor best view. Some upgrade and remodel in process so try to be a bit away from main lobby...
4 Thank bettyfoor
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear bettyfoor,

We are so thrilled that you have found a good value when staying at the Sunscape Sabor. It is so nice to see that you quite enjoyed all of our offered friendly service and facilities such as our pools, restaurants and diving. We are humbled by your review and will share it with our team members so that we can work even harder to ensure your next visit is better.

San Francisco
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The staff was great, they were on top of everything. The wedding coordinator far exceeded our expectations. The accommodations were more than expected. The only thing I recommend is that they have more authentic Mexican food, their menus were too Americanized. Overall we enjoyed our stay. Very happy with the place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

5 Thank David Mr((Newly... A
Dear David Mr((Newly... A,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your trip to our resort. We are also delighted to read that you loved our friendly staff including our wonderful Wedding Coordinator and our rooms. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure that each guest is given personalized attention.

We will pass your comments about the menu options to our Chef for revision.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were at the Sabor 9/28-10/5. I want to give the resort a 3.5 rating however it’s not one of the options hence, the 4 star rating. They get 3.5 for the superb staff they have be it housekeeping, wait staff, spa, bell hop… they’re all very good whether guests tipped or not. The grounds and all facilities are clean. This is our first trip to Mexico and first stay in an all-inclusive resort.

Check in and rooms – We arrived at the resort around noon. It was kind of disappointing to learn that the rooms weren’t ready even though it was not peak season. We were given the option to change which we didn’t want to do and were given access right away to the buffet, snack bar, and bar. After having lunch, we checked again and the room still wasn’t ready. So we just waited in the lobby (the only place where there’s wifi). Finally, we were able to check in “early” around 2:30pm. We were given a jr suite on the ground with a Jacuzzi with no drain stopper. We didn’t report the Jacuzzi because the adults-only pool was right outside our room. The room had 2 A/C units that worked very well plus a ceiling fan in the bedroom. We had to call the 2nd day to get the minibar replenished then after that they did it on their own. We could hear some noise through the walls but not loud enough to bother us. The power went out a couple of times but came back on right away. There was no foul smell in the room nor bathroom but the curtains (glass door leading to the veranda) did stink. We chose a ground floor room so I was afraid we will have a problem with bugs but we didn't.

Food and Drinks - It’s true that the food gets kinda boring. Breakfast was my favorite of all the meals because of their selection of fresh fruits, hot chocolate, cooked to order eggs/omelet. I wish they served fruits with all meals. Also I appreciate that the food was on the bland side because I didn’t feel bloated all week. We found that the drinks we ordered when we were in the restaurants were better than the ones we ordered from the outdoor bars.

Went to the spa for couple’s massage. It was very relaxing. Be on the lookout for daily specials.

Signature shop – found everything to be twice more expensive than if we went downtown and shopped at the supermarket (we went to Mega).

Activities and Entertainment – There wasn’t much going on as there weren’t too many guests. There was nightly movies at the lobby, pingpong, beach volleyball.

It sucks that there is no wifi in the room not even in all public areas but only in the lobby.

We’re looking forward to our next trip to Cozumel but will want to stay at another resort. We will consider returning to Sabor only if there’s a really great deal.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Btravelfood
Dear LLBtravel,

We are delighted to hear that you thought that our hotel met your needs and was satisfactory and that you found our delicious breakfast, our staff friendly, spa service and general areas to be clean. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure that each guest is given personalized attention. So it is rewarding to hear that you will return to your new home away from home.

We have passed your comments about the maintenance issues and lack of entertainment to our General Manager so that we can start working on implementing a good program.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was here in mid-October for a 7-night stay. This is my 3rd stay at an AM Resort, and my first stay at Sunscape (the other two stays were at Dreams properties).

We had a very nice, spacious room overlooking the ocean, even though we thought this was supposed to be a tropical view, so that was a nice surprise. We had a little bit of difficulty getting our Frigobar filled initially so perhaps they weren't expecting us there, but eventually it was filled. The room has an easy-to-use safe and a spacious bathroom. We usually would have to call for washcloths, but this was not a big deal and they were very prompt to bring them to us.

Every evening or morning you receive a Sundial newsletter with events for the next day, which restaurants are open, what discounts are offered, what the entertainment will be, etc.

ENTERTAINMENT
We didn't have shows everyday probably because this is still the low season, but there was a Mexican show, a Sunscape Idol show (that one was hilarious!), and a fire show. All were very good. They have people onsite to book tours for you, but since we had previously booked our tours online, we did not take advantage of this.

GIFT SHOP
There is a gift shop onsite which is fairly small, but has a lot of items that you might need. I thought it was a little strange that they did not have postcards for Cozumel, but instead for other locations close by. It is worth taking a look just to browse if nothing else. Usually a discount is offered on something at the gift shop in the Sundial newsletter.

SPA
Everyday there is a different discount for the spa offered in the Sundial, and if you are a really patient person you can go to the Vacation Club presentation and get some spa coupons. I did not do this but my travel companions did. Luckily for me, the day before I left, they offered a discount for the massage, so I went for it. It was wonderful, and the spa was very nice.

GYM
I visited the gym twice during my stay. They have three treadmills, two elliptical machines, one stationary bike, other resistance equipment, free weights, and two stability balls. Also they have a water machine in there that dispenses cold and hot water. It is nice and cool in there also. I wish I could have used the gym more but I was busy.

DAILY ACTIVITY PROGRAM
I did not use this, because I had tours everyday, but they have snorkeling, bungee, volleyball, basketball, water polo, ping pong, kayaking, etc.
They also usually have a movie playing at 7:00pm.

FOOD
Food here got a bit repetitive, probably because this was the low season. Market Café is buffet-style and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For lunch, the only other option is the Sea Side Grill which offers cheeseburgers, hot dogs, quesadillas, nachos, and fries. For dinner, they would alternate between having Portofino (Italian) as the other option and El Patio (Mexican). Da Mario's (the pizza place), was not open during my stay. The waiters were very friendly and attentive. Antonio was my favorite and waited on us the most. Also, one of my traveling companions eats vegan only, and they were able to accommodate her diet during our stay.

PHOTOS
Adventure Photos is available if you want professional photos during your vacation. I have done this for 2 out of 3 of my AM Resort stays, and have really liked the photos afterwards. Alan and Cynthia did a great job with our group. The photos are $15 per photo, but well worth it if you want some nice photos of your trip.

BEACH
Pretty nice beach, the water is very clear. The water seemed more colorful near San Miguel, which surprised me, but this is a nice beach with sand. If you walk towards the Secrets property, it seems less sandy and harder to walk on in bare feet.

All in all, this is a great resort to stay at in Cozumel, especially if you are doing things in the southern hotel zone area, since taking taxis everywhere gets expensive. I think it is going through some renovations and growing pains since it recently changed ownership, but it was really nice considering this is the budget category of AM Resorts and we got a great deal on our stay. The staff is very nice and friendly.

Would I stay again? Maybe, but I have to get to some other AM Resorts first!

5 Thank Daniela3883
SusczeConcierge, eConcierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Daniela3883,

We are so happy to know that you were able to enjoy a nice vacation with us, at your first Sunscape resort. We are so thankful that you indulged in fun activities such as our Sunscape Idol, Fire Show and Mexican Fiesta. We will applaud our friendly staff for doing a wonderful job and in addition I am sure your informative tips about the Spa, restaurants and additional activities are also a substantial contribution for prospective travelers.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to offer you an even more gratifying service experience.

info.seacz@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#8 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,587 reviews

Been to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel? Share your experiences!