“No complaints”

Sunscape Sabor Cozumel
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Naturally I was nervous about staying at this resort after seeing the reviews. Now, after seeing the resort first hand for myself I can honestly say some people just love to complain lol. My cousin and I stayed for four days. Check in was at 3 pm and no earlier, Ha. But whatever, there was a bar within walking distance of the lobby. How can you ever complain when there are free drinks to drink? Our room was right on the beach. Absolutely amazing! As for the food. I think it was great for an all inclusive. There was a buffet at two restaurants in one night, we couldn't decide where to eat so we tried both. My taste buds were pleased. Anything that I didn't like I just washed it down with a free drink. My only complaint would be the staff. The men were very forward and it became pretty annoying. Other than that I had an amazing time. If you're not overly picky and just looking for a place with good food, great views, and affordable this would work for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jezziv
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hi jezziv,

Thank you for taking the time to write an informative review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the bars, restaurants and rooms however, we are very concerned about the people of the Vacation Club, we are going to share this comment with that company.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Warm regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,425)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This resort is a nice resort and it is in the transition period of having a new owner. The food is good but there is not a lot of choices. There is NO buffet restaurant - it is just served on the poolside a couple nights a week. The beach is nice and we enjoyed basking in the sun :) the water is very rocky. If you go please take water shoes and walk slowly. The staff was fantastic! The drinks were great - and strong, just the way I like them. The entertainment staff was a lot of fun and they remembered us every day they came by and called out to us by name. It is a nice place but it still needs work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nips_45

Hi nips_45,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel that you enjoyed the resort staff. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.

The resort has a buffet restaurant which is Porto Fino, in this restaurant you will find buffet breakfast and lunch.

Thank you for your suggestions on how we can make our hotel even better, I have passed these comments along to Management for further review.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and stayed at this resort in February 2014. We read some bad reviews but decided to go and see for ourselves. Not all reviews were bad. The food wasn't spectacular but not too bad. There were three different places for dinner and we tried them all. The cafe next to the main pool was the best. The chicken dish I had was great. We had breakfast at the beach bar and it was always good. Pizza for lunch was good too. Snorkeling right in front of the resort was good but we had a better time snorkeling at Chakanaub park. We have stayed at better resorts but paid much more too. All in all we had a great time. It's what you make of it. We also went to Playa del Carmen by Ferry. Fun day walking the streets eating and drinking. Taxi and Ferry rides were reasonable. They have a separate street that goes around the island just for mopeds which can be rented at all resorts. Safest way to ride a moped for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean were breezier.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bartman77
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi Bartman77,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

First let me say I have been to over a dozen resorts in cancun , playa de Carmen and cozumel. This was defiantly one of the better ones... (And I only stay at a five or higher). Although it is small only a few hundred rooms, it is peaceful, a great location, and clean.
The staff was wonderful. We didn't meet one rude staff member. Everyone spoke, a lot used our first names, and all were very helpful with whatever we asked of them.
I had read a lot do bad reviews before I went and can tell you I found none of them to be accurate.
They do have two sit down more formal restaurants ( formal clothes not needed). Portofinos was wonderful, with beautiful views. Food was great for Italian food in Mexico... Service was wonderful and dessert was delicious . El Patio was also great . The chicken fajitas were some of the best I ever had. No reservations needed, and we never waited .the seaside grill by the large main pool had burgers, hotdogs, nachos,fries, etc for lunch...and Da Mario Trattoria had pizzas and garlic bread for lunch. All the lunch food was good. Seaside grill also serves a cook to order breakfast. The fruit plate was great, 5 to 7 different types of fruit each day. And the omelettes were also great. They also have cereals, breads, and the typical American breakfast foods.
The resort has four bars, all were great. They made anything you ask and suggested different drinks for you to try. Our favorite was the small bar by the smaller pool. Rigo is the bartender there and he was awesome! He never let us run out of drinks. He always had a smile and was very helpful with suggestions for things to do and information on town.
At seaside resturant Rosana and Ishmeal were fabulous. They called us by our names from day one and always had a smile and gave us something to laugh at everyday!
We had a ground level oceanfront room(2911) .the room was cleaned and always well stocked. Beer, soda and water and plenty do towels. A few dollars tip for housekeeping and a couple dollars put in the fridge for the person stocking that goes a long way.
There was great snorkling down by the dock, to the left and around the rock bluffs by portifinos . There is a beach bar also so you never have to go far for a drink.
We did do the snorkel tour to three reefs for 50 dollars. It was worth every penny, and the service was great with that. You can book that thru the hotel or your apple vacation rep.
We also took a cab to town for 15 dollars. Don't be afraid to get off the Main Street and shop a few blocks back. Items are cheaper and we had no issues walking around anywhere. Lots of little places to grab drinks and lunch.
This place was peaceful, not overcrowded , and worth what we paid for it. I will say this isn't a party party party resort. So if that's what your looking for you should stay in cancun . It's great for families and couples. Don't let the bad reviews stop you. We had a great time.

Room Tip: Beachfront is a must, rooms are just a few yards from the ocean. Although the garden view rooms look...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tammy W

Hi Tammy W,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as restaurants, bars and services.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Sunscape Sabor Cozumel on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a wonderful service.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I just stayed at sunscape and I have to say after reading some of the reviews I was a bit concerned about what we would find. Breakfast at portofino is great. There is a lady who makes omelets and eggs to order they also have French toast pancakes amazing fruit oats cereal yogurt nothing to complain about. Lunch at seaside is decent burgers hotdogs guacamole quesadilla. They have dinner at 3 of their restaurants or on some nights a buffet by the pool. The greatest thing about this resort is the snorkeling. It was better then the excursions we went on. The amount of fish and seaside we saw right off our beach is incredible. We had a great time because we remembered how cheap this vacation was and the grounds really are beautiful. Overall we had our best vacation to date. Chose to be happy and have a great time!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Rachelcst
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hi Rachelcst,

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the restaurants and snorkeling. Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I have been to a number of all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean. This by far is the worst food experience that I have ever had. I'm not usually one to complain about the food. In the past when I have read reviews from others complaining about the food at all inclusive resorts I figured they were just being overly picky,:and once I go myself I have enjoyed the food..I can honestly say that the reviewers that said the food was horrible at Sunscape were telling the truth. The room was nice and spacious with a view of the secondary pool and the ocean. The bartenders and staff were friendly also. However without a swim up bar you would think that they would have good service around the pool area for drinks, but it took at least an hour before we saw a waitress. We had to get out of the pool and go to the bar. I ALWAYS bring lots of cash to tip for these type of services even though it is all inclusive, but did not really have the opportunity to because the poolside service was almost nonexistent. We did meet some very nice folks that we will hopefully meet up with in the future, but the food was a total deal breaker. To anyone considering this place. I'm sorry to say. DO NOT DO IT.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Hi Roland S,

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the room, staff and views however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel

We are going to share these comments with our F&B Manager,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

There was a group of 4 of us (2 couples) that had booked our trip in January 2014 for April 5th to 12th. As it got closer the reviews got worse and worse to the point that the 4 of us decided that if we needed to eat off the resort every day we would.....we would just sleep there and go for the beach. Much to our surprise, our rooms were directly on the beach.....we have never had rooms so close to the ocean before!! As soon as we got to our room, our porter noticed that our air conditioner was making noise. We just started unpacking and got a knock on the door. It was maintenance. They checked out the air conditioner and within 5 minutes the front desk called us. They asked to move us as they were having issues with the air. They came and moved us to another room (a better one) within 1/2 of arriving. I cannot tell you how happy i was they did this. They could have just left us in the original room and told us there was nothing else available. The resort is relatively small, however, its a plus because your never far from a restaurant, bar or even the pool. We met a lot of other fun couples there and my husband became the life of the party at the disco with the other couples (and my husband is NOT typically a bar/disco guy..lol). We had an absolute awesome time. On the 6th, it was my birthday and Jesus and the staff at the restaurant did a crazy thing to make it memorable! Thank you Jesus! There were the 2 breakfast and lunch buffets to choose from, a pizzeria for snacks and a snack bar for late night snacks after the disco. The food was not 5 star however it was absolutely acceptable and you do not have to make reservations for any of the restaurants. Sure, as some people said, they were some lines, who cares, there were bars close to all the restaurants so you could have spouses go get some drinks while you wait. We met a lot of great staff and other visitors. I loved this resort because there were no 5 star aires.....no snotty people allowed....The only snotty people were the ones that paid for a 3.5 star but expected a 5 star. (and then YES, they were ignored). Its true that the rooms are not brand new....who cares, you don't go to spend all day and night in your room...If you want a vacation that is laid back and your not racing for reservations and the people are awesome and get to know you, then this is the resort for you. And what fantastic sunsets! I will post some pics. One piece of advice......take water shoes....my husband and i did and we were so glad. The water is full of coral and rock (which is why there are soooo many fish to see snorkeling right at the beach). I would definitely not hesitate to go back to this resort. Don't be afraid of some of the other reviews. They are just champagne taste on a beer budget.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Barb A
SeaczEconcierge, E-Concierge at Sunscape Sabor Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hi Barb A,

We are certainly pleased to understand from your comments about your recent trip to Sunscape Sabor that you enjoyed the resort staff, hotel and accommodating service experience. As a hotel company we will continue to create wonderful guest experiences where personalized service is concerned in an effort to become a highly regarded resort in Cozumel.