“PLEASE NOTE! Several Thefts from Hotel Rooms!”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This was our first trip to this hotel. The hotel/grounds/pools/rooms were very clean. The staff was exceptional. Some of the food was good, some of it was not very hot (temp wise), other selections were things we would not eat. There were several thefts from hotel guests, while we were there, electronics of different varieties were stolen from rooms. The management did absolutely NOTHING about it. We had no hot water for over 12 hrs., maintenance came in (while we were BOTH in the room), and on the way out he stole our room key! (You must insert your room key just inside your hotel door, or the lights will not go on). We reported it immediately, but again, nothing was actually done. USE YOUR ROOM SAFE! You will need to pay for it at the end of your stay ($2 per day). The price of the safe is well worth it for piece of mind. Laptops will NOT fit in the safe, so be prepared to cart it with you at all times if you take one. We have been to Cozumel many, many times, and always stay at the north end - but decided to try something different. Next "visit" we will go back to the hotel that we used to frequent. The Park Royal is a TIME SHARE hotel, so learn how to say "NO" from the minute you check in. They will immediately want you to "sign up" for one of their "meetings". Time shares are made to look absolutely wonderful, but buying one will really cost more than if you'd just pay for your vacation out of pocket. The maintenance fees are high, which you pay yearly, and the "transfer fees" are insane! There are plenty of hotels in Cozumel that are not "time share" hotels. I would truely recommend one of those.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank drinkmixer

Reviewed 25 May 2011

I am a travel agent and in Cozumel, I stay here. This hotel has the best air conditioning in Mexico. The drinks are cold and plentiful. The beds are not near as hard as some places I have stayed for sure. It is not a sleep number bed, hard but not unpleasant and I sleep on a soft bed at home. The beds here always seemed good to me. Ask for the Tower section...you get a great view. Not many king beds at the hotel and they are really hard to get. The hotel food is good and I have never heard of anyone getting sick. I try to go to the ala carte several times while I am there but remember to make your reservations. You can check and get in sometimes without one. The hotel has 3 pools and all have swim up bars so it does tend to spread people out so it does not seem as crowded. The beach is small and 2 pools are down on the beach. Very close to lots of shops and the cruise shopping pier for Carnival. The hotel is very clean and staff has always been nice. I have never had to wait on a room even when I checked in early. I send lots and lots of people here and they return again and again. I am not sure what people are complaining about because I am picky. Cozumel does not have awesome 5 star mega resorts so for Cozumel this one is really good. You can have your dive shop pick you up at the pier but might have to pay their dive operator a couple of dollars. They own the rights to the pier. I suggest bringing your own snorkle gear so you can go as often as you like when you like. They do limit you to one hr a day...part of the dive shop agreement with hotel. YOu do have to pay $2 a day for safe. They will most likely have to open for you. It is always locked so I think it their way of knowing who to charge.
Park Royal is a good value in my opinion!

Room Tip: Ask for Tower section
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Diane D
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The resort grounds are beautiful. Despite the resort not being ocean front it does have a great alcove beach area. Even though it's all inclusive it is very difficult to get a non alcoholic beverage.
Make sure you LOCK UP all your valuables no matter the time!!! On our next to last night someone from the staff made a room key and used to to steal our charging I Phones. When we discovered the theft I reported it immediately at which point the reluctant front desk staff had security staff search our room at 3:30 AM!
The next morning when we went to fill out the paper work they acted like they didn't know anything about it! So they searched our room again! When I followed up the last day they said they investigated the wrong time!
I don't mean to be dramatic but what if we had been asleep in our room instead of out that night?!

Room Tip: Get oceanview
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Bettebette123
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We recently stayed for a week with our kids ages 3 and 5. They loved the pool and the kid slide area. There is a beach under the tunnel with a small beach area perfect for kids and great snorkeling. ALso on beach side 2 infinity pools and 2 jacuzzis (NOT HOT just bubbles)
The kids did not like any of the food at La Veranda which is the buffett style restaurant. The buffett got old and food is recyled so if you see something in the am it is reinvented for dinner. We actually went out quite a few times because of this. We found a cute restaurant out of hotel and to the right called "Paprikas" you can eat on beach and best of all food was great and they had french fries. The one thing I was disappointed in at Park Royal was not being able to eat with a view of ocean, all restaurants have NO VIEW.
We heard the itailian food place was good but kids have to be 12 and older...
If you want to go to town it is $7 each way for a 2 mile drive... welcome to MEXICO!!! This place is totally for tourism and they capitalze on that.
We were told with our RCI timeshare we would get a free jeep rental. When I inquired about it I was told we would have to endure a 90 minute timeshare presentation, so we went across the street to Ernestos and rented a jeep for $50. There are some amazing unpopulated beaches to explore so take snorkeling gear and some snacks and enjoy it is beautiful!!!!
Beds are hard as rocks and shower had no water pressure at all, which is pretty common in Mexico as we heard from people staying at other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Get above 5th floor
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cdooflyer
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I read the reviews prior to going & I guess I didn't read between the lines. Let's start with the pros:
Great snorkeling, the hotel itself is very clean and they have a few great bartenders!
The cons:
Beds are very hard, not normal hard but hard!
Food is just ok at best.
Pipes are very loud at weird times, not just in the morning.
We went without water 1 morning. We could of cared less if it was during the day but it was all morning! And it was the whole building!
They only give you 2 bottle waters a day. Now they do have water but I'm on vaca & want bottle water!
The free snorkeling closes at 3. And we went several times on our trip to take advantage of this & we were told to come back. Come back come back!
Now I know your thinking what a cry baby. But for a little extra money we could of stayed Somewhere a lot nicer! Trust us, go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Stay on floor 5th or above
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frasermom
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Make sure someone shows you how to use the room safe first day me and daughters both had trouble in our rooms figuring it out. You have to pay 2 dollars a day for the safe maybe that is why they make it so you need help bofore using it.

Time share people will approach you several times. They were not rude but ask us each day to go to their presentation to get a coupon for $120.

NIght entertainment is worth seeing especially the fire show.

Room Tip: You need to be above floor 4 to see ocean
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank erosthedog
Reviewed 14 May 2011

The hotel is beautiful and was completely remodeled after hurricane Wilma in 2005. If you want a good view make sure you ask at check-in to be on 5th floor or higher. The food is good and the service was excellent. The buffet had much variety and changed themes every night. There is also and Italian and Mexican restaurant but require reservations. If you like bacon with your breakfast just ask the lady cooking the omelets for some tocino… Also if you love peanut butter bring it with you other than that all else is pretty much covered.. I would definitely say that this is a 4 star resort. The beach at Park Royal is not much so take a day trip to Paradise beach club and make sure you also go on a snorkel trip to see the reefs. The best way to tour the island is rent a Jeep for a day but don’t pay over 50USD for rental.
Going back in 2012 for sure….

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family