“Pros and Cons”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Park Royal several times over the last few years. It definitely has some pros and cons. I think overall it is a great value. If I wanted to do a quick, short, cheap, trip, then I would go Park Royal.

Location for Park Royal is very good. You are close to town so it is inexpensive to hop in a cab and grab dinner or go shopping.

This resort is very very clean. I have never had any complaints about the cleanliness of the resort itself or our rooms.

It does have three pools to choose from. Two face the beach and one is a garden view. The garden view pool seems to be where the kiddos swim, so I've never gotten in. We generally hang out at the pools facing the ocean. You get to admire the ocean view, while chilling in the pool and not swallowing salt water.

The food is okay. I have stayed in other all inclusives that had much better food and wine selections, but they are more expensive. In other words, you get what you pay for.

It does have a small beach area that is great for snorkeling. However, if you are wanting a big expansive beach to go walk down, this is not the place for you. You want to stay further down the island.

We have stayed at several all inclusives in Cozumel and some near Playa Del Carmen. We love Cozumel because of the area off of the resorts. Our favorite thing to do is rent scooters and go all around the island. We refer to it as "Scooter Tour" and it is a blast! There are some small hole in the ball bars on the side that does not face Cancun. We also have found some stellar restaurants outside of the resort we love. If you want to venture off of the resort, feel comfortable driving, and try out some restaurants, go Cozumel. If you want to stay at the best resort and never leave then you may have better luck with the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen area.

We heart Cozumel it is one of our favorite places!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lw1010
There are newer reviews for Grand Park Royal Cozumel

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I just returned NOV 7th from Park Royal, along with 3 other couples. Pros and Cons for this resort. First off, this was our (wife and I) first trip to an all inclusive, so we really didn't have much to go on...another couple that went had been at an all inclusive in cancun and said park royal failed in comparison. So, pros: the staff was great for the most part. yes, you do have the time share people asking you daily about your plans and what not, but a simple "no thanks" and they left you alone. The grounds were immaculate. There wasn't a minute that we didn't see someone cleaning floors, wiping windows, or sweeping water away(yup, it rained a bunch). Our housekeeping lady was fantastic. She always took the time to make a neat "animal" or what not out of our towels. She spoke very little English, about as much Spanish as we spoke, but we seemed to know what we were saying to each other. The staff at the pool bars were excellent! Ronaldo quickly became our bartender of choice! Not the greatest selection of alcohol, but they were always quick and ready to make whatever we requested. Watered down drinks? Not in my group! In the reservations it does say all tips included, but let me tell you, a few dollars here or there really lit these workers eyes up! we even tipped the young pool boy $2.00 for working the grounds while we were there and the smile he got on his face was priceless! We stayed in room 2710.....7th floor, a little different style than our friends were given, and we liked it a lot....great view...couldn't see any cruise ships from our room. Not sure why people complain about that, we all thought they were pretty cool to look at. As far as food goes...they need work in this area.....the breakfast buffet was usually our best meal...but same choices everyday. The "fine dining" restaurants weren't worth our time...very nice and all, but the food lacked "something"......stick with the buffet or hit up rolandi's downtown....great food, even better views! A few things that need real work: the walkways are "stone" covered in concrete...very hard to walk on, very uneven and quite the tripping hazard...which with all the free booze is really a problem! NO free wifi??? Its 2013 Park Royal, time to step this up! Paying $2.00 per day for a room safe?? Really? And even though we had a blast in the "sports bar" on karaoke night, its time to update the chairs in there. Cheap lawn chairs would have been more comfortable. As I said, this was our first and only visit to an all inclusive, so to us it was pretty "OK", next year we are staying at Sun Palace in Cancun and the other couple that was with us have stayed there and they told us it is head and shoulders above this property. So, it was worth it to us and we did have a great time, but upward and onwards as they say..........if you do stay here, say hello to Ronaldo the bartender for us from the Kansas City Crew! Trust me, he'll remember us!! Familia!!

Room Tip: 2710 was great for us.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paddy816
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A great place to stay, except the wifi is a ripoff, sometimes works sometimes not. The wifi is very out of place with the rest of the hotel, as it is expensive. Food is very good, except the Italian and Mexican restaurants, which are great. Dive with Dive With Martin, as they are the best. The service at the hotel, except for the wifi, is great. Will recommend and go there again.

Room Tip: chose an upper floor 6 up
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KentuckyDivers
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Park Royal in Cozumel and we were extremely disappointed. We went into this vacation with solid expectations given we have done all inclusives before in Cancun and had a great experience. Also the main reason we were there with friends was for a friends wedding. Aside from rain almost on a daily basis we were not happy with our stay. The weather is above anyones control and I understand that but there wasn't much else to do on the resort if it was raining.

So from the minute we got off the plane we were immediately being sold on things, typical for the area as it happens in the cancun airport so if you haven't traveled to the area before please keep that in mind. We arrived at the hotel and in the lobby there's a desk where there are more people who try to tell you about your "Welcome Package" and to sit down with them so they can explain it to you. Again another sales ploy which leads to a sales pitch of some sort. My wife and I were already on to the scheme and just avoided it again. I booked the reservation months in advance and requested a king bed. Upon our arrival we were told they had no king beds available so we were left to settle for 2 queens. We head up to our room and check the place out, everything is in good order and clean which my wife is crazy about. The bathroom has a nice waterfall shower head which I liked and was clean so we had no issues up to this point for the most part aside from the sales pitches (we found out later that the others we were traveling with had issues getting hot water). We arrived early in the afternoon, around 2:30 pm. We changed and headed down to the pool area to get some sun. You have to walk thru a tunnel under the road to get to the beach which was ok for us since we were used to going to resorts that are right on the water. The beach entrance is small but it's nice. Both pools are infinity pools however only one has a snack bar by it. The pools are pretty dated cement pools and could use a little updating but that didn't play too much of a part in the rating i'm giving. There are 2 "cold pools" which looked hot tubs but are far from it.

First off I read reviews for this resort and alot of people said the food was above average or great. With all due respect i'm not sure what these reviewers consider above average or great or even what they based their comparison on but they are way off. The food at the Park Royal for the most part was bad. I would say probably the worst resort food we've ever eaten. We made reservations at the italian restaurant at night so we grabbed a quick bite at the snack bar by one of the pools. I had a hot dog and my wife had a chicken burger. As a first impression the food was average nothing to write home about and very basic. The food by the pool consists of hamburgers (if that's what you want to call them), hot dogs, tortilla chips and pizza which sits in the warmer all day. The italian restaurant was very average. My wife ordered the tomato soup and I ordered the broccoli soup. Both soups weren't terrible but heavy on the salt. The anitpasta was a cold bar which you make yourself. The chicken ceaser salad was pretty much the best thing up there. For our entress my wife ordered the risotto and I ordered the beef tenderloin. She liked the risotto but my tenderloin was far from appetizing let alone resembled a tenderloin. Their idea of fusilli pasta is spiral pasta which yes is being nit picky but fusilli is my favorite pasta and if they don't have it they shouldn't list it on their menu when in reality it's another type of pasta. The following morning my wife and I made our way over to the buffet for breakfast. The options at the buffet for breakfast weren't terrible, fresh fruit and omelets to order was a nice sight to see. Other options didn't quite make sense let alone look appealing but breakfast wasn't terrible. We went back for lunch and after seeing what was being offered we left right away and just ate something from the snack bar. Lunch was very hit or miss on a daily basis. Dinner also was a disappointment and most of the time the food was cold. The one night I decided to have some fries with my dinner they tasted like they had been left out for hours, stale and dry french fries. No seafood in sight at buffet, except for paella one night. Never once saw guacamole either. We also experienced the mexican restaurant as well during our stay. I ordered the skirt steak and my wife ordered the chicken. The skirt steak wasn't bad but the chicken my wife ordered was not good at all.

Now for the irritating part of paying for an all inclusive and not getting so much of an all inclusive. This place nickel & dimes you on everything which we have never paid for at other all inclusives before. As far as wi-fi, it's there but it can be had for an easy $16 USD a day, which is ridiculous. Want to work out? You'll have to pay a solid $5 a day to use the gym! Their liquor selection isn't outstanding by any means but they have jack, smirnoff, barcardi. When you order a drink that contains one of those alcohols you'll be served with the house stuff first before they decide to give you the "better" stuff. As mentioned above we were there for a friends wedding. They were charged seperately for food and alcohol. The food I might be willing to understand as it was a pre picked menu by the bride and groom but charging for alcohol? There was a bar right outside of the reception room where guests could order any drink they wanted however in the reception room we were limited to a selection of alcohol. I find that absurd given every guest paid for an all inclusive stay and then the hotel is charging the bride and groom extra for alcohol and limited alcohol at that.

We will never stay there again let alone go back to Cozumel. Was over priced for what we received would definitely not return again. You can do so much better for the same price or slightly more. If you are not picky about cold tasteless food and cold pools that serve good drinks on a clean facility than this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank acampo26
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very nice accommodation, spotlessly clean. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. The buffet restaurant had plenty of selection, there was also an Italian and Mexican restaurant , both were very good. Lovely choice of swimming pools and the grounds and garden were very well kept. Beds were a little firm but we survived. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Make sure you visit the beach on the south side of the island, we saw three nests of turtles hatching, wonderful.

Room Tip: We were on floor eight, this gave us a beautiful view , the higher you are the he better the view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Joy J
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was my eighth stay at the Park Royal in Cozumel. This is the first year I was able to travel in September-October. Our stay was from September 16 to October 4. First, the negative:

1. The Iron man competition was held during our stay. For the five days the hotel was packed. The day of the competition the roads to the airport were blocked off. You would have had to leave by 5:30AM and would have to fill the time until the flight. Fortunately for us were here before and after it. It was a good comparison. Before and after the hotel was, at most, one third full.

2. Hot water.... what happened since our visit last year? We were in the main building this year. I needed good internet because I was drafting between activities and dives. We were told that the building closer to the road did not have a very good signal. In years past the main building had hot water problems. It was frustrating to wake up to a luke warm, at best, shower. The hotel staff was responsive coming to the room to try to correct the problem, but little improvement. You should not have to choose between hot water and a good internet signal.

3. If you want internet in your room it is expensive. For the eighteen days it cost us almost $200. In my opinion, that's too much. There was no way I was going to go to the outdoor lobby and expose my computer to the humidity so I paid the price.

4. Night access to the beach and pools is restricted.

5. Almost no English channels on the TV. It seems like less than last year.

Now the Positive (this is why we will be returning next year for two weeks.

1. The staff is very friendly. I asked for extra pillows and the reply was, "how many would you like?" The staff in the main restaurant is especially friendly and very wiling to please. Check in was effortless, thanks Samuel!

2. The rooms have a beautiful view. Small but functional balcony.

3. The grounds are beautiful.

4. The beach area is small, but great showers, snack bars, restrooms and pools. (I never use the pools- my pool is the ocean).

5. Shore diving. You might not think so, but the shore diving is outstanding. We have stayed four different places and the shore diving here is by far the best. Very little current and plenty to see. An airplane wreck, coral heads, tri-marine wreck and if you have a compass nice reefs a couple hundred yards off shore. The entire time doing boat drift dives I didn't see any sharks. On two of my shore dives I saw a six foot nurse shark, lots of juvenile angel sharks (usually on night shore dives), moray eels, spotted ells, lobsters, juvenile to huge spiny puffers, lots of sting rays, octopuses, ad much more. It's also a short walk to the pier for boat dives. I dive with Aquaworld, but many dive operators will pick you up at the dock. There are also lockers at the dock and a shower to rinse.

6. The restaurants are clean and the food is good. There are always lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. You have a choice of many main courses at each meal in the buffet.

7. Finally, the value for the money is really great. I have priced similar resorts in the Bahamas and the cost is almost double.

Room Tip: If traveling in the fall check for when the Iron Man competition will be held. Ask for a room above...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jcs2100
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Spent the day there while off of the Carnival Elation. Had a wonderful time! The check in took about 15 minutes because we were early. The all inclusive day pass is from 11 am to 6 pm. Grounds were gorgeous and very clean! 3 pools with swim up bars, we only visited one, with an infinity edge. Views were beautiful, overlooking cruise ships. Bathrooms had wet floors, looks like they were repairing the plumbing. Snack bar and buffet lunch. We had hot dogs and hamburgers, and didn't make the buffet because we didn't want to get out of the pool. Drinks were ok, best was the Dirty Monkey, banana, chocolate taste. Yum! Beach was small and water had some rocks, but it was awesome. People were snorkeling right there. Beach towels included. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends