“Great value but annoying sales reps everywhere”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Brisbane, Australia
“Great value but annoying sales reps everywhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Great value for the money as an all inclusive but annoying sales reps everywhere. We stayed here from the 17th to the 20th, I total agree with all the other comments on here. Thanks to them I was prepared for this onslaught, and boy do they spread it on thick. I forgot who it was on here that said they had to get upset in order for them to stop pushing time share but thanks, I mentioned that to our "concierge" and guess what! He left us alone the entire three days we were there. A matter of fact as soon a he knew we were a lost cause he didn't even walk us to our room, he pointed to the building our room was in said walk down the stairs follow the path on the right and you should be fine, lol! Oh well a small price to pay for piece of mind. Food is average but nothing ever bad, I drank copious amounts of beer awesome pools just to bad the adults only rule wasn't enforced at the deck pool Thanks for the advice TA

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Overall this was a nice hotel and most of the recent reviews that I read on here were spot on. The food in the restaurants on site were better than the buffet areas. I've never stayed at an all inclusive but we felt that we got what we paid for. The gym was very nice and I loved the pool area. Th best way to describe the way the hotel operated was that it was similar to being on a cruise ship. My only gripe that I had was that they kept pushing for us to get our "welcome packet", which really was a 90 minute (takes longer than that) pitch on getting you to join their vacation club (similar to timeshares pitches). We kept avoiding it but they hounded us everyday and even called our room inquiring about it. Most annoying. I recommend on the first day you just say you are not interested.

Overall, great place and we would go back. I should have read the reviews on here and took heed.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cecil D
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Park Royal several times over the last few years. It definitely has some pros and cons. I think overall it is a great value. If I wanted to do a quick, short, cheap, trip, then I would go Park Royal.

Location for Park Royal is very good. You are close to town so it is inexpensive to hop in a cab and grab dinner or go shopping.

This resort is very very clean. I have never had any complaints about the cleanliness of the resort itself or our rooms.

It does have three pools to choose from. Two face the beach and one is a garden view. The garden view pool seems to be where the kiddos swim, so I've never gotten in. We generally hang out at the pools facing the ocean. You get to admire the ocean view, while chilling in the pool and not swallowing salt water.

The food is okay. I have stayed in other all inclusives that had much better food and wine selections, but they are more expensive. In other words, you get what you pay for.

It does have a small beach area that is great for snorkeling. However, if you are wanting a big expansive beach to go walk down, this is not the place for you. You want to stay further down the island.

We have stayed at several all inclusives in Cozumel and some near Playa Del Carmen. We love Cozumel because of the area off of the resorts. Our favorite thing to do is rent scooters and go all around the island. We refer to it as "Scooter Tour" and it is a blast! There are some small hole in the ball bars on the side that does not face Cancun. We also have found some stellar restaurants outside of the resort we love. If you want to venture off of the resort, feel comfortable driving, and try out some restaurants, go Cozumel. If you want to stay at the best resort and never leave then you may have better luck with the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen area.

We heart Cozumel it is one of our favorite places!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank lw1010
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I just returned NOV 7th from Park Royal, along with 3 other couples. Pros and Cons for this resort. First off, this was our (wife and I) first trip to an all inclusive, so we really didn't have much to go on...another couple that went had been at an all inclusive in cancun and said park royal failed in comparison. So, pros: the staff was great for the most part. yes, you do have the time share people asking you daily about your plans and what not, but a simple "no thanks" and they left you alone. The grounds were immaculate. There wasn't a minute that we didn't see someone cleaning floors, wiping windows, or sweeping water away(yup, it rained a bunch). Our housekeeping lady was fantastic. She always took the time to make a neat "animal" or what not out of our towels. She spoke very little English, about as much Spanish as we spoke, but we seemed to know what we were saying to each other. The staff at the pool bars were excellent! Ronaldo quickly became our bartender of choice! Not the greatest selection of alcohol, but they were always quick and ready to make whatever we requested. Watered down drinks? Not in my group! In the reservations it does say all tips included, but let me tell you, a few dollars here or there really lit these workers eyes up! we even tipped the young pool boy $2.00 for working the grounds while we were there and the smile he got on his face was priceless! We stayed in room 2710.....7th floor, a little different style than our friends were given, and we liked it a lot....great view...couldn't see any cruise ships from our room. Not sure why people complain about that, we all thought they were pretty cool to look at. As far as food goes...they need work in this area.....the breakfast buffet was usually our best meal...but same choices everyday. The "fine dining" restaurants weren't worth our time...very nice and all, but the food lacked "something"......stick with the buffet or hit up rolandi's downtown....great food, even better views! A few things that need real work: the walkways are "stone" covered in concrete...very hard to walk on, very uneven and quite the tripping hazard...which with all the free booze is really a problem! NO free wifi??? Its 2013 Park Royal, time to step this up! Paying $2.00 per day for a room safe?? Really? And even though we had a blast in the "sports bar" on karaoke night, its time to update the chairs in there. Cheap lawn chairs would have been more comfortable. As I said, this was our first and only visit to an all inclusive, so to us it was pretty "OK", next year we are staying at Sun Palace in Cancun and the other couple that was with us have stayed there and they told us it is head and shoulders above this property. So, it was worth it to us and we did have a great time, but upward and onwards as they say..........if you do stay here, say hello to Ronaldo the bartender for us from the Kansas City Crew! Trust me, he'll remember us!! Familia!!

Room Tip: 2710 was great for us.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Paddy816
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

A great place to stay, except the wifi is a ripoff, sometimes works sometimes not. The wifi is very out of place with the rest of the hotel, as it is expensive. Food is very good, except the Italian and Mexican restaurants, which are great. Dive with Dive With Martin, as they are the best. The service at the hotel, except for the wifi, is great. Will recommend and go there again.

Room Tip: chose an upper floor 6 up
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KentuckyDivers
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Park Royal in Cozumel and we were extremely disappointed. We went into this vacation with solid expectations given we have done all inclusives before in Cancun and had a great experience. Also the main reason we were there with friends was for a friends wedding. Aside from rain almost on a daily basis we were not happy with our stay. The weather is above anyones control and I understand that but there wasn't much else to do on the resort if it was raining.

So from the minute we got off the plane we were immediately being sold on things, typical for the area as it happens in the cancun airport so if you haven't traveled to the area before please keep that in mind. We arrived at the hotel and in the lobby there's a desk where there are more people who try to tell you about your "Welcome Package" and to sit down with them so they can explain it to you. Again another sales ploy which leads to a sales pitch of some sort. My wife and I were already on to the scheme and just avoided it again. I booked the reservation months in advance and requested a king bed. Upon our arrival we were told they had no king beds available so we were left to settle for 2 queens. We head up to our room and check the place out, everything is in good order and clean which my wife is crazy about. The bathroom has a nice waterfall shower head which I liked and was clean so we had no issues up to this point for the most part aside from the sales pitches (we found out later that the others we were traveling with had issues getting hot water). We arrived early in the afternoon, around 2:30 pm. We changed and headed down to the pool area to get some sun. You have to walk thru a tunnel under the road to get to the beach which was ok for us since we were used to going to resorts that are right on the water. The beach entrance is small but it's nice. Both pools are infinity pools however only one has a snack bar by it. The pools are pretty dated cement pools and could use a little updating but that didn't play too much of a part in the rating i'm giving. There are 2 "cold pools" which looked hot tubs but are far from it.

First off I read reviews for this resort and alot of people said the food was above average or great. With all due respect i'm not sure what these reviewers consider above average or great or even what they based their comparison on but they are way off. The food at the Park Royal for the most part was bad. I would say probably the worst resort food we've ever eaten. We made reservations at the italian restaurant at night so we grabbed a quick bite at the snack bar by one of the pools. I had a hot dog and my wife had a chicken burger. As a first impression the food was average nothing to write home about and very basic. The food by the pool consists of hamburgers (if that's what you want to call them), hot dogs, tortilla chips and pizza which sits in the warmer all day. The italian restaurant was very average. My wife ordered the tomato soup and I ordered the broccoli soup. Both soups weren't terrible but heavy on the salt. The anitpasta was a cold bar which you make yourself. The chicken ceaser salad was pretty much the best thing up there. For our entress my wife ordered the risotto and I ordered the beef tenderloin. She liked the risotto but my tenderloin was far from appetizing let alone resembled a tenderloin. Their idea of fusilli pasta is spiral pasta which yes is being nit picky but fusilli is my favorite pasta and if they don't have it they shouldn't list it on their menu when in reality it's another type of pasta. The following morning my wife and I made our way over to the buffet for breakfast. The options at the buffet for breakfast weren't terrible, fresh fruit and omelets to order was a nice sight to see. Other options didn't quite make sense let alone look appealing but breakfast wasn't terrible. We went back for lunch and after seeing what was being offered we left right away and just ate something from the snack bar. Lunch was very hit or miss on a daily basis. Dinner also was a disappointment and most of the time the food was cold. The one night I decided to have some fries with my dinner they tasted like they had been left out for hours, stale and dry french fries. No seafood in sight at buffet, except for paella one night. Never once saw guacamole either. We also experienced the mexican restaurant as well during our stay. I ordered the skirt steak and my wife ordered the chicken. The skirt steak wasn't bad but the chicken my wife ordered was not good at all.

Now for the irritating part of paying for an all inclusive and not getting so much of an all inclusive. This place nickel & dimes you on everything which we have never paid for at other all inclusives before. As far as wi-fi, it's there but it can be had for an easy $16 USD a day, which is ridiculous. Want to work out? You'll have to pay a solid $5 a day to use the gym! Their liquor selection isn't outstanding by any means but they have jack, smirnoff, barcardi. When you order a drink that contains one of those alcohols you'll be served with the house stuff first before they decide to give you the "better" stuff. As mentioned above we were there for a friends wedding. They were charged seperately for food and alcohol. The food I might be willing to understand as it was a pre picked menu by the bride and groom but charging for alcohol? There was a bar right outside of the reception room where guests could order any drink they wanted however in the reception room we were limited to a selection of alcohol. I find that absurd given every guest paid for an all inclusive stay and then the hotel is charging the bride and groom extra for alcohol and limited alcohol at that.

We will never stay there again let alone go back to Cozumel. Was over priced for what we received would definitely not return again. You can do so much better for the same price or slightly more. If you are not picky about cold tasteless food and cold pools that serve good drinks on a clean facility than this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank acampo26
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very nice accommodation, spotlessly clean. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. The buffet restaurant had plenty of selection, there was also an Italian and Mexican restaurant , both were very good. Lovely choice of swimming pools and the grounds and garden were very well kept. Beds were a little firm but we survived. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Make sure you visit the beach on the south side of the island, we saw three nests of turtles hatching, wonderful.

Room Tip: We were on floor eight, this gave us a beautiful view , the higher you are the he better the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family