“Exceptional Service”

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Brandon, Canada
“Exceptional Service”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

If you scroll down to the review entitled “**PLEASE READ** **A REALISTIC PERSPECTIVE**” - I could not agree more. My 12 year old daughter and 15 year old son travelled with me to the Park Royal Cozumel April 16-23rd and they had the most incredible time. In fact, there were tears shed when we had to say goodbye to so many of the wonderful people we met there. Victor and Jesus - you are now apart of our family and we will cherish our life long friendships. I have stayed at many AI resorts and NONE have come close to the service you receive at this resort. It isn't just exceptional service - it is genuine care and love they share with everyone. On our second day at the resort, my kids got a little ahead of me and by the time I got to the main pool I could not see them anywhere. As I was scanning over the many people around the pool, I heard a whistle. It was the snack bar manager - he had seen me searching and knew exactly who I was looking for. He then pointed out my kids both at separate ends of the pool area where I could not see them. He knew who I was and who belonged with me and they kept an eye out for us the entire week. Yes the beach is small but it is fantastic for snorkeling - we saw tons of colorful fish, including a small swordfish one day. The drinks are fabulous and ALL the bartenders know exactly how to make any drink you ask for. The buffet is very very good. The Mexican restaurant was delicious. The entire resort is immaculate, the beds are quite comfortable considering most beds in Mexico resorts are hard. The resort we were told was completely full due to the Mexican spring break but we never had to stand in line, and we always could find a chair, whether it be at the beach or any of the pools and we never felt crowded. The activities crew are simply amazing!! Jesus, Victor, Cesar, Oscar, Francisco - we had so much fun!!! As for time share people - I was never approached once. Cozumel is such a fun, safe, family oriented community with so much to do - it is top on my destination list, as is Park Royal Cozumel. The highlight of our trip was surfing with Nacho (see Cozumel Surfing website) on the east side of the island and snorkeling at the most incredible reefs. It is absolutely GORGEOUS in Cozumel! We will be back!!!!!!!

ALL of the workers provide exceptional, personal service.

Room Tip: As mentioned anything 4 feet and higher have better view of the ocean. We were on the third floor a...
3 Thank LORI R
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for share your comments about your recent stay on Park Royal Cozumel

It is an honor to read such as pleasant comments like yours, because they encourage us on continuing our efforts in the daily service so other guests can enjoy their stay in Park Royal Cozumel in the same way that you did.

You can be confident that your comments will be shared with all our coworkers, especially those who are mentioned in a personalized way: Jesus, Victor, Cesar, Oscar and Francisco.

I hope to see you and your family on Park Royal Cozumel on the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (887)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is perfect! Right on the beach, short taxi to town. Drinks are delish. We had an amazing view of the ocean from our room. No pressure to do the timeshare if you don't want to which we didn't. We will be back for sure!'

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank cyprusgirl1269
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing and recommending Park Royal Cozumel. We're glad that our convenient location and beautiful beach were staples of your stay. We hope that you will be visiting us again in the future!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here last year, for my 40th. Hotel was extremely clean, priced well and centrally located in Cozumel. Their hotel is technically not beach-front but a short walk through the property puts you at a small beach area that is great for a dip in the water and good snorkelling. A few pools and decks overlook the water and a cruise ship pier. The staff was polite and friendly. I would agree that hotel does try to sell it's 'timeshares" and other activities but I have not been to a property, cruise line or excursion that did not. I would definitely return to Park Royal.

Room Tip: The gounds are beautiful-our upgraded room/balcony was worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
PARKCZM, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing Park Royal Cozumel. We appreciate all of our guests' feedback and are happy to hear that you had a great time. We´ll be glad to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I spent the week pre-Easter at Park Royal with a group of 9 people. I have vacationed quite a bit and have been to many different all-inclusive places so I had a lot to compare to Park Royal. This place had some really good things and some not so good things about it.

First the good: check-in was extremely easy. I booked two rooms through RCI and my friends and I checked into our rooms in a matter of a couple of minutes. No issues at all. The rooms weren't ready when we arrived so they kindly held our luggage and we went to the bar for drinks. They told us to come back at 3:00 but at 2:15, one of the front desk clerks came over to us to ask what name the room was under so he could check on it for us and sure enough, it was ready. The rooms were clean and we were on the 7th floor so we had a nice view of the ocean. We actually were able to see some sunsets in the evening since the cruise ships were typically gone from port around 6:00 every night. I enjoyed having the balcony to be able to sit outside and read. The breakfast buffet was also pretty good. Lots of choices. If you like eggs, the omelette station wast the best. If you want bacon, they don't put it out but you can ask a server and they will gladly bring it to you from the kitchen. Additionally, our group really enjoyed the Mexican restaurant. Almost everyone ordered the coconut grouper and they all raved about it (I'm not a fan of coconut). The drinks at the pool bars were pretty good, too. I have had watered down drinks before at other places and they were not skimping on the alcohol here. Luis (both of them!) were great and made the best grasshoppers! Also, we were not hounded once to buy a timeshare. Probably because I exchanged through RCI, but that was still nice. Even thoug the beach was small, a few people in our group enjoyed snorkeling and got some pretty good underwater pictures of all the colorful fish.

The bad: This place was quiet the first couple of days but as the week went on, it became overrun with Mexican families. Because it was Holy Week, the schools in Mexico were on a break and there were kids everywhere. I understand that it is a family-friendly place but the kids were even at the bar in the pools and it was difficult to get a drink. I would suggest that the resort designate a kids only pool. Because of this, we had to go to the pool no later than 7:30 a.m. to reserve chairs. I would have liked it if they had one more sit-down restaurant for dinners. Once we ate at both the Italian and Mexican restaurants, we didn't really have a need to go back. And the dinner buffet was NOT good, no matter the theme. The noise in the hotel rooms was the worst. While I couldn't hear much of my neighbors, they sounds from the hallways echoed into the rooms. Kids shrieking, high heels clicking, and the sound from the evening show made it difficult to get sleep. Another problem was the shower. I only experienced it one night, but others in our group showered every day with cool-lukewarm water. It never got hot for them. Lastly, they had a hard time keep the pools clean. Leaves and just gunk floating in the water....yuck.

Tip: Walk across the street and eat dinner at Ernesto's. The food was fantastic and we ate dinner there twice toward the end of the week. Also, if you don't want to pay to use the gym you can still walk/run outside. We got up early every morning and walked on the sidewalk from the resort down to the car/cargo ferry that runs to Playa del Carmen and back (about 2 miles roundtrip). The street noise is loud but it was safe to be off the property.

All in all, it was just an average trip. I would probably not go back to Park Royal but it could have been worse.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Beth0106
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Park Royal Cozumel

I really appreciate your kind words about the service of the front desk and bar staff and the food at our speciality restaurant. It is glad to know that you have enjoyed this services.

On the other side, please let me offer you an apology if some of our services (such as the dinner on our buffet restaurant and the pools) did not meet your expectations; this comments will help us on ameliorate our services.

I hope you can give us the opportunity to host you again on the future and show you the improvements done thanks to valuable comments like yours.

Geogia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ok...here it is...it is lengthy and the novel...but we wanted to provide a very detailed and (from our disposition) true review.

We plan a once-a-year trip, so we save up and try to take a vacation In the Caribbean. We start doing our research in February of each year to plan for an all-inclusive resort. We had read so many reviews from here, we felt that we were making the right decision. So with that said, we want to make sure we are getting our money's worth.

First impressions:
When we were dropped at the resort, we were automatically greeted by 3 different people welcoming us with smiles on their faces and a glass of Rum Punch. Of course, as with ANY resort, you are going to get someone asking you about Time Share. In our past experiences, we were bombarded as soon as we walked into the lobby. At Park Royal, we simply said no thank you and their reply was "..please enjoy your stay". That was it! We did not hear anything else after that brief 2 minute encounter. No sooner had we told the time share "no thank you", the front desk informed us our room was ready (2:30 pm) and our bags were already delivered and waiting for us in our rooms.

Rooms:
As we entered our room, the attendant put our don and pleasantly wished an enjoyable stay at the resort. As we surveyed the room, we were very satisfied with the accommodations. We knew when we were doing research, we were quite aware that we were not going to be spending that much time in the room, we were on vacation. If we wanted to spend lots of time in the room, then we needed to stay home and do something within reason of our location (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston..etc). The room provided everything we needed a very clean room, bed (comfortable), clean bathroom and hot water (it is not home so the water is not 120 degrees for a family of 5), it is a resort that has hundreds of people...plus you are in the Caribbean. The room was cleaned to perfection each day and the air worked just fine. We could ask or want for anything more.

Food:
The buffet was very convenient to all of the rooms. We have been at resorts where it took at least 5 minutes to get to the restaurants and the pools. The buffet provided food that was good and very satisfying. We loved having our omelets made to order each morning. As soon as we were seated, we had at least 2 different people waiting on us and seeing to our every need. Before we could even sit down, we were asked if we wanted coffee. We have been at resorts before, where you could only use the a la carte restaurants no more than twice during your stay, and you had to get up at the crack of dawn to make your reservations. At Park Royal, you could use the a la carte restaurants as many times as desired. The Mexican and the Italian restaurants were absolutely incredible. But! It is all in what you make it to be. The most appealing aspect of both of the restaurants was that the settings were what truly made the experience enjoyable, not to mention the food was incredible. The snack bars offered the usual; hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos and pizza. The locations were very convenient to each of the 4 pools.

Pools:
Each of the pools were well maintained and, as mentioned before, are easily accessible from each of the resort complexes. The swim up bar at the beach provided for a wonderful and very enjoyable time as we were able to meet and make new friends. The 2 beachfront pools provided for a beautiful view of the Caribbean.

Service:
As stated previously the service was outstanding! The disposition of each person at the resort was fantastic and the individual attention and sincere care of EVERY one at the resort tp to all of our needs was magnificent. Everyone did so with a smile and as if they truly enjoy what they do. Even management ensuring that we were haying and enjoying our stay. Oh yea, children were welcome and treated well as well.

Notes of interest:
We knew that our budget was somewhat limited to be able to participate in excursions. However, we carefully planned to at least do 2, that would be enjoyable. After extensive research we decided to go snorkeling and rent a jeep for the day. We were very selective in choosing a snorkel trip with the right company. We chose Chala & Miguel's Snorkeling Charters. WOW!! We have been on several snorkeling trips in the past, but this was by far, the best ever! In the past, we were one of many on the tour and felt as if we were just a number. On these trips, we were "dropped" off a site and were told to just follow the guide. At the time, it seemed that this way that snorkeling trips were supposed to go. Until! We went with Chala. Chala lead us around and stopped at each point of interest and took the time to point out all the interesting facts and lead us to some of the most amazing dive sites and made it a point to give us an opportunity to see some of the wildlife of the ocean. I am strongly recommending that you please, if planning a snorkeling trip to use Chala. Chala has been doing the snorkeling trips for over 20 years. I must also add, that his price was unbelievable compared to other companies we did research on. Not to mention, the ultimate experience. Yes, there is no loud music playing or lots of alcohol being consumed (he does offer a cold one if desired), but the experience is so worth it if you truly want to experience a view of beautiful Cozumel's underwater paradise.

As stated, we also rented a jeep (for about $80) and had the jeep for 24 hours, and had an absolute blast touring the entire island with some fantastic views of the east side of the island. We also made a stop for a few cold beverages and some food at Coconuts Bar. Again, service was awesome and we had a blast laughing at the waiters. If you go, ask for Tete's table, he was absolutely hilarious. By the way, ask to see his "Family" album, and be prepared to laugh so hard that your sides hurt when you hear the sound of a clown horn...you will see.

If you want, you can also get free snorkel gear at the resort and snorkel right there at the resort in front of the beach,..great views and very clear water. Downtown is a very short cab ride *about $7) and just walk up and down and do some shopping if so desired. We did go out one night to do a little dancing at Senior Frogs. Some reps from the bar came around and sold a bracelet for about $50, which entitled you to free drinks the entire night. I was told they, as well as other clubs, do this on a frequent basis. Because of the Easter week and most clubs closed) we were really hoping to visit one of the less crowded clubs for a little bit more retro music) On other trips we were strongly encouraged not to venture off of the resort premises unless going on a paid tour bus trip that took you only to a few places.

When you get there, please ask for Pedro. He is one of the managers at the resort. He will see to your every need. He was absolutely fabulous, and very dedicated to make your stay the very best.

It depends on what company you use, but the airport transfers were quite expensive. So we went to the transfer ticket window on the right, before you exit the terminal and purchased 2 tickets for $20. Also, a taxi back to the airport was about $17 for the both of us.

Lastly (sorry for the novel), but we felt the need to provide a very realistic perspective to those of you, like us, did research and make your decision based on that. We had a blast! As anything, your experience is what you make of it. We read several complaints about the food, service and overall experience. Well, I say to those who complained, you are being unfair. You are not getting a personal maid and butler with your trip. It seems as if some of these people would not be content anywhere. Again, NO COMPLAINTS with the food, service, rooms, or any aspect of the resort. If you cannot enjoy your experience at the Park Royal, you have some personal issues, relax, it's Cozumel.

"Shout Outs" Pedro, thank you for everything, we will see you in August (from the teacher and football coach, our football...lol) Chala, thank you for an amazing time! We will also see you in August, we are looking forward to the cookout. Many thanks to; Sapo, Jose, Oscar, Tony, Salomon, and so many others who provided us with a wonderful experience! See you guys in August!

If you want, you can drop me a line and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have if you are doing research to choose a resort to stay at, as well as the activities available.
strongmahn17@yahoo.com

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a room on the 4th floor or above an see the beautiful ocean views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
22 Thank ironman66
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience at Park Royal Cozumel

I really appreciate the time that you have invested on writing your review and specially, the way that you take each point in consideration.

It is nice to read comments like yours, because they let us know that you have really enjoyed your stay with us and also inspire us on giving the best of our efforts so more guests can enjoy their stay at the way you did.

Thanks again and I hope to host you again on a near future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This property is very clean, the staff is polite and the value is good. However, there are some issues that I'm going to point out. #1 - this property only exists to sell memberships for their time share, oops "club - Vacations for Life". Club members are put in the quieter building, have king size beds and have complementary wifi, just to name off a few things. We booked our vacation through Apple Vacations and were told we would have an ocean view and adjoining room to our children. When we checked in, we did not have an ocean view room and were not adjoining. After meeting with the onsite Apple rep, Carlos, we were upgraded to ocean view and adjoining rooms for a fee of $40/night. #2 - rooms in the other tower, not for club members, are loud. A very busy street runs right below and come early morning the street noise of dune buggies, cars and mopeds would rival any major city. #3 - there are no king beds, not even queen size beds. Rooms have two full size beds and putting two adults in these beds is beyond cozy. #4 - As an all-inclusive resort it's crazy to charge extra money to use the in room safe! $2/day for the safe is pathetic and makes a guest feel lousy. Just build it into the package price. Same for wifi - $6/day for crappy wifi service is a joke. At least offer complimentary service for guests in the lobby. Helpful hint......go to Ernestos across the street for wifi and a good drink. The buffet food is good and the resort is not far from the airport or to activities in town. I wanted to do this trip as affordable as possible and the price was good, however, after adding on the extra charges I paid last week, I would have selected another resort.

1 Thank beachescape_11
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014

Oakton, VA
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We just returned from a nice stay at the Park Royal. The Hotel was clean, nicely landscaped, conveniently located and has a wonderful staff. We had a group of 11 ranging from grandparents down to 8 years old and everyone had a fantastic time. The food was good (try the coconut grouper at the Mexican restaurant) and the drinks even better. The beach was small, but great for the kids. There was plenty of other space around the numerous oceanfront pools to accommodate the guests. We were especially impressed with the entertainment staff as they worked tirelessly to ensure everyone was having a good time. Francisco, Jesus, Oscar, Victor, and Cesar seemed to be everywhere all the time...I am not sure they ever sleep. Our kids loved the shows and the staff made sure all ages had a great time. My only suggestions would be softer beds, room service (or at least room service for coffee or drinks) and maybe one more restaurant that takes reservations. We had to get in line early to make sure we could get in. I thought the gym and room safe should have been included in the "all inclusive" and that felt a little cheap to me, but otherwise, no complaints. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, but think it is best suited for families and groups.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and thought that worked great since we like to be able to run up to the r...
Dear Guest

We are glad to know you had an amazing time staying at Park Royal Cozumel. We love taking care of our clients and it makes us proud that we could assist you during your stay with us. This review will certainly be helpful for those who plan on staying with us.

Thank you for your recommendation!