“Not Great”

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Not Great”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

First of all, we were a group of 28, but that didn't seem to matter. They treated us more like a nuisance.
Positives: Close to downtown area, very clean, quick taxi service, good Mexican food restaurant, decent snorkeling off the beach and certain staff members were friendly. Oscar and Wilder were great.
Negatives: The beach pool was closed, therefore causing the timeshare users beach pool to be EXTREMELY overcrowded and very warm (as warm as the hot tub). They allow cruise ship guests to come on the property, which caused a major overcrowding issue. Certain staff members were extremely rude and didn't want to provide any help. The Italian restaurant was a mixed within our group. Get the grouper, everything else was almost inedible. Lots of children in the "adult" pool. Constantly trying to sell us timeshares and other items...even after we said "no thank you" over and over again. No warm water in the showers. Karaoke night was a joke - we went and signed up and they ended up playing "crazy karaoke" all night and we wasted our time. NO CHAMPAGNE. My boyfriend and I were so excited to drink mimosas, but alas, no champagne. However, we could buy it, which was comical to us. You had to ask for bacon and they would bring it to you from the kitchen. Buffet food was average, at best. If we went back, which we won't, the Mexican restaurant is great. Eat there every night. The beach is small and very full - again lots of "day pass" folks. Bar didn't open until 11am every morning. No room service. One member of our party found a screw in her waffle, however, the staff was very apologetic and explained that it must have fallen off of the waffle maker, which could really happen to anyone. So, I'd give them a free pass on that. She was just lucky she didn't chip her tooth. Here was my biggest pet peeve....the "boss" at the infinity pool bar cut us off from shots. Nothing else, just shots. I think they just didn't want to give us any more of their tequila. We complained to Omar, which was the bar boss that cut us off and he finally said we could have shots again. They would serve us all the beer and other drinks we wanted, just not shots. It's an ALL INCLUSIVE resort. I could understand if we were drunk and disorderly, but this was not the case. No one was falling down or acting crazy, we were just wanting to enjoy ourselves. They explained to us that providing shots was a liability, but then gave them to us anyway after a lady in our party complained for almost an hour. It was ridiculous. Lastly, you had to pay for the gym, wifi and safe.

So, definitely a 2 in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest

We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us regarding your previous stay at Park Royal Cozumel.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Right off the bat we were greeted by a very grumpy and rude front desk clerk. Since our room wasn't ready yet, we were told to come back in 3 to 4 hours. The clerk did not even offer to check in our bags and we were told to take them to our friend's room (who had checked in a few days earlier). We were shocked by his response, luckily a bell boy saw us and asked if we wanted our bags stored. We were finally given a room on the 9th floor with a terrific ocean view, with two very small double beds. The room did not even have an iron or ironing board and only came with a bar of soap. Trying to phone the front desk or housekeeping was impossible - the line was busy constantly! We went to the front desk to ask to use the safe in our room that was inaccessible, we were told to go back to our room and call the front desk!!! After laughing at the stupidity of the front desk clerk's response we were told someone would come to our room immediately to open the safe... we waited and waited and no one came... needless to say we were never given a safe. Yet when checking out we were asked to pay ($5/day) for the safe that we never given. When we informed the clerk of this, we were then told it was a room tax that we HAD to pay! It seems that all this hotel cares about is selling time shares to their guests. We have been to many, many resorts in Mexico and this one is definitely in the bottom few. I will NOT be recommending Park Royal Cozumel to any of my family or friends!!

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the ocean.
3 Thank Gavin M
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest

We are sorry if our accommodations did not live up to your expectations, but take feedback such as yours helpful. This allows us to understand the needs of our guests in depth. We will pass along this information to our management team.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This may be a 4 star rated hotel in Mexico but not in the United States. First, I will start with the positives: the staff for the most part are great, some are down right rude and put off when you want something. The property is nice, rooms clean.
NOW THE NEGATIVES: Food is horrific, over cooked meat sitting in boiling juices that when removed dry to almost jerky. NO bacon on the buffet, you have to request it. The buffet is the same day after day, night after night and if coming from the USA, maybe as 2 star. They allow the cruise people onto the property for day passes making the pool overcrowded. Speaking of the pool, they are cloudy and dirty, only after complaining on the third day did we see anyone cleaning them and removing top debris (hair, bugs) from it and chlorine being added. There are ants all around the deck, maybe a little insecticide around the edges would help. There is no waiters taking drink orders around the pools so you have to go to the pool bars and wait in line, not 4 star in my book. Rooms have shampoo, one little bottle, no conditioner nor lotions. Again, not 4 star. They advertise WIFI in the lobby, nope, you have to pay for WIFI, even in the lobby. The spa consist's of two tables, so if you looking for a 4 star message, forget about it. They hound you to listen to their time share program and if you don't join they get pissed and don't give you your gifts. Time share? You would have to pay me to go back. I'm sorry, this is not a 4 star "resort" when you have all these issue and missing the little things that make a big difference.

2 Thank Mullen620
Dear Guest

We are sorry to learn about your disappointment regarding your most recent stay at Park Royal Cozumel.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

First off, our room had fleas. I didn't realize it until the night before we left. Our bags stayed in our garage until I was able to wash everything we took to Cozumel. There are only 12 king size beds at this resort, even after emailing them twice, I didn't get a king bed. The bell hop pushed out two full size beds together though which worked out fine. The resort doesn't allow you to have food or drinks in your room, there is no room service at this hotel, and no mini bar in the room. Housekeeping gives you 2 bottles of water every day when they come in to clean and that's it. There is no where to get anything to eat or drink before 7 in the morning. My husband had an early Tee time and wasn't able to eat before he left because nothing is open or available. I asked for more water one morning (before anything opened) and I had to follow a security guard to some secret closet, where he handed me 2 more bottles. We ended up eating off of the resort for almost every meal because the food was terrible. I've always seen people complain about the food in some places and have never had a problem until this resort. I'm very picky where my husband is not picky AT ALL and even he was put off by it. I mean how can you mess up a buffet? I had a 90 minute massage at the "spa" and the actual massage was great even though the room for the massage is in the locker room of the gym. There is a curtain that separates the massage tables from the whirlpool and lockers. I actually forgot about it pretty quick until she stuck her head out and told the people in the whirlpool to be quiet. We spent the majority of our time in one of the infinity pools watching the cruise ships come in. The other infinity pool was under construction. No one runs drinks from the bar to the pool or beach. We met the mgr in the lobby one day and he said he is working on adding wait staff and adding room service. It's not that they were short handed...it's just a service they don't offer.
Our room was down the hall from the theater. We get up early, drink all day and they go to bed early so the theater was loud until the show ended around 10:30 or 11. There is no hot water at the hotel either. I thought it was because so many people showering at once, but that wasn't the issue. There's just no hot water. The phone in our room was broken and it took them 2 days to fix it.

You have to pay $2 a day if you are going to use the safe and internet is $5 for 30 minutes. We found a coffee shop in the shopping center by the resort that would give you free internet if you bought a cup of coffee. It is an $8 cab ride (one way) to the main pier or downtown. Our rooms were cleaned around 9 each morning, which we thought was great. I heard there is somewhere at the resort to get pizza and hot dogs after midnight. We are used to resorts having an all night all inclusive room with alcohol and food 24/7 and were a little disappointed that this one didn't have that option. The one amazing and I mean amazing thing at this hotel was the air conditioner in our room. That thing worked like a champ!

Room Tip: I don't think you have a room choice at this hotel. You get what you get.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank April D
Dear Guest

Comments from our clients are very important for us. We take your feedback very seriously and will certainly pass along your concerns to our respective teams.

Brooklyn, New York

The Rundown:
We stayed for a week at Park Royal Cozumel and had a mostly pleasant time. The staff was wonderful and the food was surprisingly good, but our room was terrible and is the reason we would not return to this hotel.

The Room:
We were in room 2018, which is on the first floor directly across from the open-air amphitheater, which meant that every night from about 8:30-11:00PM we would have to sit through the loud, thumping music and the shouting of the MC during the nightly performances. The doors aren't well insulated so every night it was as if we were sitting right there. (I know what you're thinking! That's not so bad, who goes to bed that early anyway, right? I hear you, but when you're exhausted after traveling all day, or when you book an early morning excursion and need to get up at 5AM, or when you just feel like relaxing in your room after dinner, the last thing you want to hear is karaoke night pumping through the loudspeaker.) We begged for a room change but were turned down. I imagine that if we were in a room on a high floor or farther away we would've had a perfectly pleasant stay, but the location of our room was truly awful.
Some other things that didn't help: our shower handle was broken so we couldn't regulate temperature, the light from the hallway shone through the door frame all night so we had to wear eye masks to sleep, an inexplicably constant moving of furniture above our room made it sound like we were living below a family of whales all week, and we didn't open our curtains the whole time because the pool (and all the people in it) was right outside.

The Food:
We ate at the buffet for most of our meals and at the a la carte Mexican and Italian restaurants a couple times as well. All of the food was quite good, or at least fun, and there was always something to eat even if the theme nights weren't great (I'm talking to you, "Asian night"). The variety of food, fresh fruit and drink options were great, the food in the center of the buffet (carving/omlette station) was always superb, and pretty much everything they did involving chicken was awesome.

The Staff:
I can not say enough great things about the staff. Every single person we interacted with was pleasant, kind, accommodating, and friendly. I was very impressed.

Overall we had a nice enough time, but the risk of ending up in another awful room will keep us from staying at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Do everything you can to avoid rooms near the amphitheater.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison W
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience at Park Royal Cozumel on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for all of the compliments of our staff and food service, however, we would like to extend an apology for any inconveniences you experienced as well. Comments from our clients are very important for us and we truly appreciate your feedback that makes us improve our services in benefit of our clients.

We´ll be glad to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Bridgeport, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a good hotel for the cost. The rooms and facilities are clean and well maintained. The main pool is large and had lots of activities for everyone during the day. The seaside pool was a little small but adequate and the swim up bar had good service. The Hot Tube was not hot but had some amazing views of the sunset and leaving cruise ships. Once they get the expansion area completed it is going to be great. The locations is a little was from downtown (about $8 cab ride each way) but right near the main cruise ship dock so there is plenty of shopping and other things to do within walking distance. The food was only ok at best in the main buffet. We did not get to try either specialty restaurant due to the fact they required long pants and reservations filled up fast. All in all it is a good place for the cost and a positive experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

We're so happy to learn you had a great trip with us at Park Royal Cozumel.

Thank you for all of the compliments of our accommodations , however, we would like to extend an apology for any inconveniences you experienced as well during your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again next year and show you the improvements done!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at Park Royal. We had a large party (5 kids, 3 teens, 28 adults) who we're all there for a wedding. The hotel was nice enough, but I must say the staff wasnt the friendliest or most accomodating. That being said, I noticed rude tourists harassing them on several occasions so I don't know what came first the chicken or the egg. The staff also didn't speak a whole lot of English so it's something to think about. Spanish speakers in our party so it was no problem, but I saw a lot of awkwardness especially with the taxi situation. And it was hot and humid as all get out so walking was NOT an option. On that note, beware! We inquired about a beach excursion to Mr. Sancho's beach party a few miles down the road and the taxi drivers all raved about it and the activities guy even had pricing and info for us so 19 of us headed over by taxi only to find that all of the water slides, trampolines and beach activities were closed for the day (monday) because no cruise ships were docked that day. So we basically had to pay for food and drinks and swimming in the pool and ocean, when we could have done that at our hotel for free! Then to add insult to injury we were charged MORE to get back to our hotel by these dishonest taxi drivers who flat out told me that was how they had to make a living! Whatever, we didn't let it ruin our time...Karma exists! Back to the Park Royal, the pools were OK although it seemed like there were too many people or sunblock or something in them because sometimes they didn't look very inviting. Im hoping it was just all of the sunblock from so many bodies! The infinity pool was awesome, but people were teaching their kids to swim near the bar. The food was OK, I've had better from an all inclusive buffet but it wasnt bad especially if you're feeding children morning noon and night! The specialty restaurants dont take reservations by phone so a long line forms at noon and in 30 mins theyre all full. The food is better in those 2 restaurants but no kids under 12 in the italian restaurant, but you can order off of the italian menu in the mexican restaurant! The snacks were good and plentiful as we're the drinks! Bartenders were the friendliest of course and we tipped them well so we always got drinks quickly! The timeshare situation is the same as anywhere, just say a firm no thank you multiple times and then just turn and walk away and theyll get the message. Overall it was a great vacation because our group had such a wonderful time together. However I would definitely not return to this hotel mainly because they didn't offer free wifi and I place friendly service high on my list of must have's!

Room Tip: Floors above 6 have an ocean view
2 Thank Mnmsmom
Dear Guest

We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you had during your stay at Park Royal Cozumel.

We understand your frustration and will certainly pass along these concerns to our management team. Comments from our clients are very important for us and we truly appreciate your feedback that makes us improve our services in benefit of our guests.