“Not even if it was free!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Park Royal Cozumel

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Mission, Texas, United States
“Not even if it was free!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

super long rant ahead!!!!I don't even know where to begin with this review!!!! I booked my stay 2 months in advance, through booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children and sea view. well let me start by saying that on a run to the mega store in Cozumel, we were approached by a guy named Alex and he talked to us about a tour to the hotel and he would let us have a jeep for 2 days for $45 we explained to him that we were staying at that hotel, the following day and he told us it was no problem, but just not to mention it when we get there (red flag) he told us the presentation would only take 90 minutes and they would also provide breakfast, he even picked us up in a taxi and paid for the cab. So we get there at 9:20 am for the presentation, which we figured we had enough time to check out from our hotel at 12 noon and them come back to park royal and check in here at 3pm. Well as soon as we got there, everyone was super nice and very welcoming, they offered us the breakfast and we opted to skip it, and told the receptionist that we just wanted to go directly to the presentation, since we had to check out from our hotel at noon, at that point I had provided her with my credit card as a form of id, she got a little concerned when she saw I had a marriot rewards card and went to talk to someone,(I don't know what they discussed) she then comes back and tells me if my card belongs to Marriot the hotels and I said yes, she goes away again, this time she doesn't come back, instead Alex the guy from the Mega comes back and tells us, that we cant go to the presentation and gives us our $45 back and said we could get a taxi outside back to our hotel!!! all of the sudden they were not interested in our business, not sure if they thought we had a time share with Marriot or what happened,they were just incredibly rude and didn't care to talk to us from then on. By this point I am so embarrassed and want to get out of there asap, we go to our hotel and pick up our stuff and decide to come back to park royal at around 1pm to speak to someone about the situation and to see if we can check in, reception person was ok he told us we couldn't check in till after 3pm but he could register us, he gave us our bracelets and I told him we would be back, by this point my husband is talking to the manager of the presentations and he tells us, that the reason they didn't want us to do the presentation was because we had mention to them that we had to be out of there by 12 noon (keep in mind we got there at 9:20am , that's over 2 hours of our time!!!) but they felt that was not enough, we told him that the deal was to give them 90 minutes of our time and he said that it didn't work like! so really they expect for you to be there the whole day and if you don't buy they will harass you and at the end not want to give you the gifts they had offered! he told us he could, better the deal and offer the jeep for free and give us the internet for free for our stay of course we didn't accept, like seriously, why would I want to go through a presentation at this point I didn't even want to stay at the hotel!!! so we leave and come back at around 5ish and yes more trouble... the reception tells me she needs my credit card and some form of id for the room charges of $600plus, I told her that booking.com had quoted me $500 and she told me that it didn't include the kids, but my documentation did say 2 adults and 2 kids, she called a guy to help her with the situation and he said there had been a mistake with my quote and they were going to charge me the new quote, I asked him to call again to booking and fix the problem, but he just told me there was nothing he could do and that was the price, I told him I didn't want to pay that, because that was not the deal at that point they just ignored me and basically asked me to leave the premises! I have never been more humiliated in my live, we have travelled so much and stayed at so many hotels, but honestly none like this one! Horrible people, horrible way of treating customers and no customer service at all!!! at the end I counted as a blessing, because we ended up at an impeccable hotel with great customer service and superb staff (which I will review at a later time) Sorry for the rant, but people need to know, please don't stay here, remember you are on vacation and the last thing you need is stress!!!! Save yourself and run as fast as you can from this place!!!

Room Tip: my only tip and basically a lifesaver, is run and get away from this hotel as fast as you can!!!
6 Thank Gladys A
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us regarding your previous stay at Park Royal Cozumel.

We are sorry if our accommodations did not live up to your expectations, but take feedback such as yours helpful. This allows us to understand the needs of our guests in depth. We are also sorry if learning about our membership made you feel uncomfortable in any way. That is never our intention. We will pass along this information to our management team.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
North Bergen, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our 5th trip to the Park Royal in Cozumel.....quite honestly, because we love it there. We were a group of 15 relatives and all of us had been here at least once before. The staff in the lobby, at the desk, bellhops and waiters could not have been nicer or made our arrival any easier. Our bags were immediately secured and watched over by Samuel, Clemente and Luis( I think)!!!
We were offered drinks from the bar as we checked in. Most of us were lucky in that our rooms were ready in spite of the fact that we were early and our bags were brought up to our room in minutes.
Anyone who has stayed at the Park Royal knows that it is immaculate, I have never seen a cleaner hotel and grounds anywhere, I usually go down to the lobby bar at about 6:00 am for coffee and I am always amazed, watching the cleaning staff clean EVERYTHING, every day---I have watched them gather the rocks around the trees, wash them and place them back!!!
The food at the Park Royal buffet is good, not great----but there are plenty of choices and you will find something you like. They have theme nights for each nights buffet so if you stay for more than a week it could get monotonous but the service is outstanding, if your drink glass is empty someone is there almost instantly to see if you need another. There are an Italian and Mexican restaurant on premises that require an reservation. The food in both of these is good, my favorite (and, it seems everyone else's) is the Coconut Grouper in the Mexican restaurant. I am not a seafood eater and this is the only fish I have ever ordered for a dinner in my life, delicious!!! The bars and bartenders were terrific. It may seem like a big deal, but when I returned to the Park Royal after my first trip here I was greeted by name and was asked about other members of my family who had been there the year before---I was impressed that we would be remembered like that after a year. Oscar, Luis (Okie Dokie) Reynaldo (the other) Luis and the others are great ambassadors for the hotel and Mexico in general!!
The entertainment staff led by Francisco are always working very hard to get everyone involved in all of the activities, Francisco, Jesus, Cesar, Claudia, Sugar Ray etc. are there all day running various games, contests, exercises, sports, demonstrations and shows for our entertainment and they never fail to make me smile with their friendliness and enthusiasm. Miss Claudia also runs the Kid's Club, a safe place for the children to go watch a movie, do arts and crafts, play games or just wade in the Kid's Club pool---she is a truly caring and loving woman who my grandson just adores. The shows at night are entertaining. Some are far better than others but they all open up with a game and dance for the kids, once again the staff go out of their way to get you involved. When I rate the overall experience as excellent, it is because of the friendliness, attention and welcome feeling that we get every time. We could go to other resorts in the vacation package but we KNOW what we have here, and will be back again next year.

Room Tip: Above the 5th floor if possible for view
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments about Park Royal Cozumel.

We're excited to hear that you had a marvelous time at our resort and are also glad to know that the entertainment staff were able to keep you and your children occupied throughout your stay with such great activities our resort has to offer.

Thank you for the compliments about our resort and staff. We´ll love to have you back again with us!

Dallas, Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We just returned from 4 days at Park Royal. Upon arrival we were told the rooms were not going to be ready until 3pm,which is standard so we ventured into the resort. It was very loud, with a DJ yelling on a microphone and lots of screaming children. The pool was very cloudy, so much so I never got in for the entire stay. One of the pools is closed for remolding this summer.
The room was okay , however we had a constant leak coming out of the light fixture in the shower that we asked to be fixed or move 2 different times and no one ever addressed it. Our room 2116 was directly across from the stage where they had nightly shows from 9pm-11:45pm with loud music and a very loud MC. It really was a nightmare to try to sleep. Also, In order to have an ocean view you have to be about 6 floors up or so, that said we had a view of the gardens.
The buffet food was good, a different theme each night. You did have to stand in line and fight the crowds at times in the restaurant. We never were able to get a reservation in the special restaurants as I was told I needed to wait in line 30 minutes before they started taking reservations to try to obtain one.
There is no wait staff for the pools or beach you need to go to a bar to get served and although I don't drink alcohol I found it strange that you could not order an alcoholic drink before 11am. Our group wanted Bloody Mary's but you had to wait till 11.
Overall it was a very average resort with a lot of problem areas. We typically stay at Palace resorts in Mexico and have had exceptional experiences....the Park Royal was no where close.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first few levels...very loud.. and no view of the ocean.
Dear Guest

We are sorry to know about your disappointment regarding your most recent stay at Park Royal Cozumel. We appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it helps in making improvements to our resort to make the experience even better for all. We will pass this information to our management team.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The food was all very bland. Nothing we ordered had any real taste of Mexico. The cocktails that were served were absolutely abismal. Every mixed drink we ordered tasted weak and watered down. Internet wireless was realy slow.The walls of the rooms are very thin, hard to sleep with the noise, especially the night you had music. The staff was great, the setting outstanding, but I think for our next trip to Cozumel we would look for a better price for hotel accomodations that are not boutique resort .

Dear Guest

We are sorry if our accommodations did not live up to your expectations, but take feedback such as yours helpful. This allows us to understand the needs of our guests in depth. We will pass along this information to our management team.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is great. Close to town you can walk if you want. The food is decent and the drinks are always available.
The entertainment staff is great they work hard to put on shows throughout the day and night. Without them the place would be relatively boring. They are one of the main reasons I go back.

The downside is the timeshare people who don't take no for an answer. If they would go away the place would be perfect.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
RicardodelaPaz2014, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience about your previous stay at Park Royal Cozumel.

We are glad that our staff could assist you with all your needs during your vacation. We also can't wait to receive you again in a near future!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here in July 2014. The hotel is lovely. The beach is a little on the small side, but there was always space available. We spent our days between the beach and by the infinity pool (which was lovely). Cocktails were really good. My favourite was the 'banana monkey'! Food was really good too. There was plenty of choice in the buffet restaurant. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were really, really good (especially the Italian one!). The food was really yummy and the waiters were extremely friendly and efficient (which was surprising due to the way some guests spoke to and treated them - it was appalling. Just so rude). The rooms were quite large and were kept really clean.

There were only 3 small negatives:
Firstly, the only water-sports available at the hotel is snorkelling. Compared to other hotels on the island,they could offer more. However, the issue with the snorkelling is that they only have about 8 snorkels which they let out for an hour a day per person. We went several times, but they were always out. We went one day at 3.05pm to ask if they were back in, only to be told they shut at 3pm. We were advised that snorkels are only available between 10am-3pm! So, we never got chance to do this. I would suggest taking your own snorkel with you if this is something you want to do.
Secondly, avoid Mildred on reception! We booked the hotel hotels.com, which gave us the option of a standard room or sea view room. As it was our 5th wedding anniversary, we opted to pay a bit more for a sea view. I even wrote to the hotel to say we had paid for a sea view and if possible, could we have a very high floor. We were checked in by Mildred who was extremely miserable and had a 'i really cant be bothered attitude' throughout the whole process. I though that she was maybe having a bad day (but turns out she wasnt - she was the same everyday). However, when we checked in and went to the room, our room looked directly at the top of the palm trees - you couldnt see any sea or anything at all. So, we returned to reception and was seen again by Mildred. We explained politely to her that we had paid extra for a sea view room.She said that you can only book a sea view if you book direct with the hotel and that all other sites/travel agents cannot book these rooms. She rudely advised that if we want a sea view, we could pay an extra $50 UDS per person per night. We told her that we had already paid this in our booking, but she refused to honour it or do anything at all. I would understand to a point if the hotel was full, but we were told it was only at 70%. However, we called a few times at reception for various things. All the other staff members were very friendly, helpful and welcoming. It was just Mildred who spoiled our anniversary holiday with not honouring our booking and being so plain rude.
Thirdly, no free safes or wifi.

However, apart from the room issue, we had a lovely time at the hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Avoid Mildred on check in.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'm usually a very independent traveler, never tried an all inclusive because I don't want to be tied down. But, I bought a Living Social voucher because I'd never been to Cozumel, heard the water clarity was great for snorkeling, and it was a good deal.
I was very happily surprised. Best features: the beach-snorkeling off the hotel's beach is excellent. I saw a white stingray in about 25' of water. Amazing! The Italian restaurant was very good--I had tuna. Throughout the hotel, the staff was very helpful. The small balcony was nice and had the promised ocean view. parking, for those like me who had a rental car, is free and safe.
The buffet is okay, lots of options, healthy ones, too, and wonderful fruit. Not stellar, though a friend and I didn't feel obligated to only eat there, so we enjoyed meals at other venues around the island.
The most negative occurrence was the "vacation club" pitch. Our fault, I wanted the discount for the Atlantis sub. Yes, high pressure (though we resisted), and tooooo long! The hotel seems to attract a variety of folks: couples, families, diverse nationalities.
The flip side was, when we asked about snorkel trips at the concierge desk, they arranged a trip with Carla (http://www.cozumelsnorkel.com/ : separate TA review). We paid $29 each for the 2 of us--and we were the one tourists on the boat! The hotel staff got us a discount from the regular $35 price.

Room Tip: As others have noted, get a room above the 3rd floor for best views. Ours was on the 3rd floor and w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest

We are glad to know you had an amazing time staying at Park Royal Cozumel.

We are pleased to hear how much fun you had during your stay and we are happy to know how much you enjoyed our all-inclusive service. We are thrilled to hear that your first experience at our resort was so great that you think to stay with us again.

We can't wait to receive you in a near future!