“Really 3.5 Stars”

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Really 3.5 Stars”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just returned from a trip to Cozumel. It was our first trip to Cozumel and chose the Park Royal mainly based on the value. Overall, our experience was good. The customer service was great. My boyfriend and I got caught in the rain one day and went to lunch without changing first. Eduardo, who I assumed was a restaurant manager of sorts, had warm towels brought to us to cover up in.

Most rooms have two double beds, not the end of the world, but a King would've been better. The beds are firm.

We enjoyed the infinity pool and bar very much. The sports bar was great with the best drinks at the resort. The buffet was not great, but I didn't expect much from a buffet. We did go to the Mexican and Italian restaurants and liked both very much, especially the beef fajitas at the Mexican restaurants. I was here on my birthday and my only disappointment was that they would not make a reservation for us for dinner for my birthday (we did a snorkeling excursion during the day and could not be present at noon to do it ourselves).

There was a good mix of families and couples while we were there. They also have tons of activities on the grounds throughout the day if you want to participate. We snorkeled off the resort a couple of mornings and enjoyed being able to do that as well.

All in all it was a good experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alyssa W
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest

We're so happy to learn you and your boyfriend had a great trip with us at Park Royal Cozumel.

Thank you for all of the compliments of our facilities and customer service, however, we would like to extend an apology for any inconveniences you experienced as well. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very noisy! Went for a relaxing week and was woken up by 7 every morning. The evenings had lots of loud activites going on until midnight. The restaurants that needed reservations, did abide by the rules they say they have for these restaurants. People wore shorts, even swimsuits and cover ups and the age requirement of 12 and over, for children was never enforced. Wanted a nice adult dinner and had to listen to crying toddlers and infants. If I wanted to hear children crying, I would've stayed home. The food was really good in the restaurants and the staff was very helpful and very friendly.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

We're glad to hear that you have enjoyed our food and the staff service; however we would like to extend an apology for any inconveniences you experienced as well, we understand your frustration and will certainly pass along these concerns to our respective teams.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our first trip to Park Royal. Let me start by saying that we've been spoiled to some really nice resorts in the Riviera Maya, but wanted to try something different and a little more affordable since there were eight of us. We had four adults, and four teenagers ages 13-16. Upon arrival, I must say we were all disappointed. The main pool was way overcrowded, and very cloudy. I knew right then I would not enter that pool during my stay, and I did not. The entire resort seemed overcrowded that day, we arrived on a Monday. It almost seemed as if it were opened to the locals that day, although that was never confirmed. Anyway, we arrived in our rooms to find a very basic room, the two double beds were very hard, but surprisingly we slept well on them. There is no mini fridge, no coffee pot, and no room service at this resort. Three big strikes in our book.
However, as disappointed as we were at first appearances, the rest of our stay became quite enjoyable. Let me just break it down in pros and cons.

PROS:

The food is good. We mostly ate at the buffet, and it was enjoyable. I had an omelet and coffee every morning. Tip: You can order pancakes and bacon at your table but they are not offered on the buffet. If you want reservations for one of the two restaurants, you MUST be in line by 11:30am! They open the doors for reservations for dinner at noon, but by then they are gone. We had Italian one night, and it was decent.

There are plenty of staff, and they are friendly.

The infinity pool is a more adult friendly than the main pool. We never entered the main pool because it was literally overrun with small children.

The rooms are clean.

The drinks are average.

No free wifi. We purchased wifi for $15/day for my boyfriends phone for his business.

CONS:

The beach is small. If you want a chair at the beach or pool. I recommend getting your towels early (8am) and draping them across the chairs you want, or you will not get a chair. We never did get a chair in the shade at the infinity pool the five days we were there.

Snorkeling gear is scarce. I recommend bringing your own if you plan to snorkel. We were never able to secure snorkeling gear, even though they only allow one hour per room per day.

No room service. This is a deal breaker for us going forward.

The pools were very cloudy while we were there, and got worse as the day went on.

Restaurant reservations are hardly worth the effort to get them. Waiting in line for 30 minutes in the heat to hope to get a reservation was ridiculous.

All in all, we had a good time but we will not return. Another tip: Walk across the street to Ernesto's and get some good fajitas, free wifi, and cheap beer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us regarding your previous stay at Park Royal Cozumel. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our food, however we would like to extend an apology for any inconveniences you experienced as well. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and will certainly pass along your concerns to our respective teams.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Nothing amazing,
Beach was very small and rocky
Good onsite snorkeling
Pools were awesome bars were great drinks were good. Gotta drink em fast or they melt.
Food on the buffet was ok nothing great, Italian place great food!
The snack bars through out the day were very good I enjoyed that food better than the buffet.
Some of the buffet workers were not very nice and they had trouble keeping up with drinks and requests.
Wifi is $15 a day and it's not worth it, very slow.
Showers were not very hot or warm for that matter.
No music playing though out the day except at the main pool and it wasn't much variety.
No fridges or microwaves or coffee makers or ironing boards. Not even with an upgraded room, the only thing that comes with the upgrade is an ocean view.
Not a great hotel but it was a nice place! Prolly won't go bak but it was a good experience.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you had during your stay at Park Royal Cozumel. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and will certainly pass along your comments to our respective teams.

Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent customer service from front desk to maintenance people. Great snorkeling right from the beach here! Only downfall was the "Vacation Club" presentation got a little lengthy and it took four time declining before they just let us be! Other than that, everything was great.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing Park Royal Cozumel. We appreciate all of our guests' feedback and are happy to hear that you had a great time.

We´ll be glad to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is average I would say. There is no beach so if you like long walks on the beach this isn't for you. But if your a pool person this resort does have some of the most stunning breath taking pools and plenty of bars. Alcoholic drinks are good. But they're food....isn't too good and I'm not a very picky person. The Italian restaurant is delicious though make sure to get reservations there. Customer service is okay...there is a guy named Angel at the buffet and he was rude. We asked for quesadillas and he came to our table and asked if we spoke Spanish..our group and I said a little bit because all of us do speak a little....so this guy starts breaking out in Spanish I mean I couldn't even understand a word he was saying he was speaking so fast! Knowing that we had just said we speak a little Spanish he goes on a rant about why we can't have quesadillas made for us during lunch. A simple "sorry we don't do quesadillas for lunch" would have been much appreciated! Angel needs to be moved he should not be a manager that was very rude! Other than that it's definitely a decent resort for your money just ignore the sales people about their time shares. Oh and bring your own snorkeling stuff or buy some there ...I swear they have 10 snorkels... By 1045 everyday they happen to all be gone.. We only paid $895 round trip 7 days all inclusive so not bad for the money but idk if I would be back.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

We are sorry if we could not meet all your expections during your last stay with us. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and will certainly pass along your concerns to our respective teams.

Mission, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

super long rant ahead!!!!I don't even know where to begin with this review!!!! I booked my stay 2 months in advance, through booking.com for 2 adults and 2 children and sea view. well let me start by saying that on a run to the mega store in Cozumel, we were approached by a guy named Alex and he talked to us about a tour to the hotel and he would let us have a jeep for 2 days for $45 we explained to him that we were staying at that hotel, the following day and he told us it was no problem, but just not to mention it when we get there (red flag) he told us the presentation would only take 90 minutes and they would also provide breakfast, he even picked us up in a taxi and paid for the cab. So we get there at 9:20 am for the presentation, which we figured we had enough time to check out from our hotel at 12 noon and them come back to park royal and check in here at 3pm. Well as soon as we got there, everyone was super nice and very welcoming, they offered us the breakfast and we opted to skip it, and told the receptionist that we just wanted to go directly to the presentation, since we had to check out from our hotel at noon, at that point I had provided her with my credit card as a form of id, she got a little concerned when she saw I had a marriot rewards card and went to talk to someone,(I don't know what they discussed) she then comes back and tells me if my card belongs to Marriot the hotels and I said yes, she goes away again, this time she doesn't come back, instead Alex the guy from the Mega comes back and tells us, that we cant go to the presentation and gives us our $45 back and said we could get a taxi outside back to our hotel!!! all of the sudden they were not interested in our business, not sure if they thought we had a time share with Marriot or what happened,they were just incredibly rude and didn't care to talk to us from then on. By this point I am so embarrassed and want to get out of there asap, we go to our hotel and pick up our stuff and decide to come back to park royal at around 1pm to speak to someone about the situation and to see if we can check in, reception person was ok he told us we couldn't check in till after 3pm but he could register us, he gave us our bracelets and I told him we would be back, by this point my husband is talking to the manager of the presentations and he tells us, that the reason they didn't want us to do the presentation was because we had mention to them that we had to be out of there by 12 noon (keep in mind we got there at 9:20am , that's over 2 hours of our time!!!) but they felt that was not enough, we told him that the deal was to give them 90 minutes of our time and he said that it didn't work like! so really they expect for you to be there the whole day and if you don't buy they will harass you and at the end not want to give you the gifts they had offered! he told us he could, better the deal and offer the jeep for free and give us the internet for free for our stay of course we didn't accept, like seriously, why would I want to go through a presentation at this point I didn't even want to stay at the hotel!!! so we leave and come back at around 5ish and yes more trouble... the reception tells me she needs my credit card and some form of id for the room charges of $600plus, I told her that booking.com had quoted me $500 and she told me that it didn't include the kids, but my documentation did say 2 adults and 2 kids, she called a guy to help her with the situation and he said there had been a mistake with my quote and they were going to charge me the new quote, I asked him to call again to booking and fix the problem, but he just told me there was nothing he could do and that was the price, I told him I didn't want to pay that, because that was not the deal at that point they just ignored me and basically asked me to leave the premises! I have never been more humiliated in my live, we have travelled so much and stayed at so many hotels, but honestly none like this one! Horrible people, horrible way of treating customers and no customer service at all!!! at the end I counted as a blessing, because we ended up at an impeccable hotel with great customer service and superb staff (which I will review at a later time) Sorry for the rant, but people need to know, please don't stay here, remember you are on vacation and the last thing you need is stress!!!! Save yourself and run as fast as you can from this place!!!

Room Tip: my only tip and basically a lifesaver, is run and get away from this hotel as fast as you can!!!