“Park Royal Cozumel for Royal Treatment”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Washington, DC area
“Park Royal Cozumel for Royal Treatment”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The Park Royal Cozumel Resort is a beautiful, exceptionally clean and well-maintained Mayan-themed resort located on the west side of Cozumel.

I am a part-time travel writer, writing mostly about Washington, DC and spent a 4-day weekend at the Park Royal, and I truly enjoyed my stay. (Check www.thedctraveler.com for my in depth review.)

The hotel is just a 5-minute cab ride to the main shopping and restaurant zona and about 10 to the airport.

My top floor room had a great view of the ocean, cruise ship dock and resort. The property has just about everything a vacationer would want, including 4 pools, lots of bars, a few good restaurants, private beach, fitness center, nightly entertainment, and a delightfully helpful staff.

The resort is all-inclusive, so the price includes all your meals, snacks, beverages (alcohol as well), taxes and tips.

My room was comfortable, airy and nicely decorated, with two comfortable double beds, a small patio outside with a couple chairs and small table, 27” TV, phone, a large walk-in shower, dual vanity, and a large closet with a safe. The rooms employ a nice “eco-green feature” -- slip your key into a wall slot to activate the electricity. When you leave, all the lights are automatically shut off, but not the A/C.

I would have liked to have a clock or clock radio in my room, as well as a luggage stand, and a few additional bathroom amenities. But the 2 bottles of water left by housekeeping each day were a nice touch, even though the resort’s tap water was purified.

To get to the private beach and two infinity pools, walk through the short tunnel and avoid crossing the main road. The property is situated on both sides of Avenue Rafael Melgar, but built in a way that it’s almost not noticeable.

The resort’s 4 pools include two beautiful infinity pools beachside. Each day, free activities are offered from water aerobics to Spanish lessons. I didn’t partake in the activities as I preferred to sit poolside and read, go scuba diving or wander around town. Each of the three adults pools have a swim up bars. The private beach is small, but offers bathers the ability to snorkel or swim. They also had more than enough lounge chairs and towels.

I ate at all three restaurants during my stay and the food was significantly better than any all-inclusive resort I had been to before. The two upscale restaurants (Mexican and Italian cuisine – reservations required, no kids under 12) offered full a la carte dinner menus and truly great food, beautifully presented in a tropical setting. Try the coconut grouper – fantastic!!

Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets are served at the main buffet restaurant (La Veranda). Expect lots of Mexican, Caribbean and American options with the selections changing daily. Again, very good.

All drinks, beer, wine and cocktails are included and the bartenders provided “service with a smile” (and made a darn good margarita too!) One day at lunch the waiter keep bringing me beer after beer when he saw mine was almost finished, until I had to finally had to say “No mas.”

I can’t say enough positive things about the staff. They really provide great service. They seemed to try to anticipate guest‘s needs, not wait until asked. Never once did I experience indifferent service or a long wait.

They have a nice fitness center, but I didn’t use it.

This is also one of the cleanest and best maintained resorts I have ever stayed at.

Bottom line -- The service was great, the staff helpful and friendly, the rooms and grounds very comfortable, the food great and my experience wonderful. On my next trip to Mexico, I will seriously consider some of their other properties.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Jon_The_DC_Traveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We booked this resort based on the photos and the TA reviews. We feel we made a good selection overall. Due to H1N1 panic, there were only 12 people on our flight down to Coz. We were the only people that checked in on Sunday May 3. We stayed till Mon May 11th. Took the airport shuttle for 8 bux a person to the Park Royal outdoor lobby. Amazing of course, a 5 story palapa at night is somthing to revel at! They let us check in early, assigned us a room on the 4th floor, I asked if we could see the ocean from there, the guy said 'no'. I asked if we could have a higher room. He said 'no, that is all we have available' without even looking. I presume they were 'booked' with the swine flu epidemic panic and all. I asked is we could switch rooms tomorrow, he said maybe.

Well we could see enough ocean from room 2420 to satisfy my desire, and I was very very happy with the room! Marble showers and clear water from the faucets. 2 bottles of water provided daily and an ice bucket to fill down the hall. Shampoo only, no conditioner, we knew that ahead of time.

The drinks were great, top shelf liquor, no rot gut. The bartenders will make anything you can think of and with a smile! Thanks Luis at the Marlin pool bar! The activity guys, Manuel, Gaspar and Francisco (Gorgeous is his nickname) really got those involved who wanted to be. I recommend pool volleyball for those who want to get involved without sweating! Sand volleyball is fun, just watch for the asphalt under the sand! Casino night was most fun, and the fire show is the top runner.

The only negative for us was the cuisine. The food was sub par, and I am not a picky eater. Maybe we were spoiled at a Riu chain in Cancun, but the buffet was only 1/2 open because of low occupancy at Park Royal. There were less than 100 guests at this resort built for thousands. Only 4 floors of the hotel were open to visitors, and several in our friend circle became ill after eating one evening, fish was the culprit we think. Because of the low occupancy maybe they were holding onto things too long at improper temps? Breakfast buffet was always fresh and delicious, eggs made to order and the most amazing fresh fruit juices, I get watermelon and mix it with iced tea for lunch. If you want alcohol or soda with a meal, just ask your server. I think, again, that the food situation was probably due to no crowd being there, so it may be better at other times!

Beach chairs and pool chairs were plentiful because no one was there, and there were no cruise ships at any point to block our view (swine again) The snorkeling is a MUST DO! I recommend bringing your own gear if you plan to be adventurous and do it daily or take a trip to a reef.

Would be happy to answer questions or offer Cozumel advice, just message me! We were there 9 days and did tour the island in our Mexican Porsche... Park Royal I would say is a 3 star resort. With better food, room service, hair conditioner and evenly paved pathways it would be a 5!!!! We did enjoy our trip there!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Future_Mrs_A
Chicago IL
Reviewed 18 May 2009

The Park Royal was a great place to stay. It's a wonderful resort to just relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds. The staff is very accomadating and the food I thought was more than average. The buffet was always fresh with a wide assortment of choices. We did try the two restaurants and both were outstanding. The entertainment staff at the Park Royal were a great group of people and the nightly shows were beyond what I had expected. they were fantastic. The rooms were very clean and we enjoyed the daily towel animals on our bed. With 3 pools and the beach there's is something for everybody. I highly recommend staying here. And we were there during this whole flu fiasco.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cynthee
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Beware of Royal Park facilities, they are high pressure times share sales hotels.
Please take this advice, do not agree to anything before going back home looking this company up.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie1982
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 May 2009

This place is great. The food is really good and very fresh (although we did not try the restaurants) - I'm a very healthy eater and there was always something I would eat on each buffet. The drinks were great (they have different flavors of juice at the bar that are great to put in a vodka/soda to add some fun flavor). The place is impeccably maintained - super clean. We brought a white noise machine b/c the halls do echo. We went scuba diving every day with Liquid Blue Divers (HIGHLY recommended, they are awesome) - my only complaint about Park Royal is they allow the onsite dive operation, Aquaworld, to charge people for using the dock to be picked up by other dive boat. That is ridiculous, given that we were staying at the hotel where the dock is located. The cruise ships are actually pretty cool to look at and not annoying at all. The fitness center is really nice - costs $5 but that keeps the "non-exercisers" from crowding the place so it's fine by me. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

5 Thank milleka
Toronto
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Great spot, lived up to the best reviews I read here. Taxi's would happily rip you off, ask the price before they take you anywhere. Food was very good, drinks even better.

3 Thank Glast
Scottsdale
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I'm a frequent traveler with a decidedly picky attitude about where I stay - and I really liked this resort. The last reviewer complained about not being able to snorkel from the beach - I disagree. Cozumel is a beautiful place for both diving and snorkeling because of the extensive reefs, and there are plenty of local companies that will take you out for either diving or snorkeling (there is even a cool submarine ride you can take). If you want to try snorkeling from the beach at the resort, yes it's rocky but with flippers you'll be fine. Anyone who wants to wade or swim should bring Teva's, dive booties, or water shoes. And in case you're wondering from my photos, a tunnel leads from the courtyard to the private beach area - where the second two pools with swim-up bars are located - so you don't have to cross the road.

As for the cruise ships I loved seeing them come and go each day - they don't "block" the view - they are really only a small part of the view as there is plenty of other ocean to enjoy.

The resort itself was kept extremely clean by the very friendly staff - everyone smiles and says hello, and the bartenders at all three of the swim-up pools knew what we liked to drink by the second day and were very friendly, happy, and funny. I noticed a lot of people enjoying the music (singing and dancing) and generally having a great time. It didn't seem too loud to me, in fact I wished they would have turned it up (mostly to drown out my own awful singing).

We made a point of tasting nearly all of the food and I could not find anything that I didn't like, even in the buffet restaurant which was above average for that style of dining establishment. The Italian restaurant was my favorite - just be sure to make reservations early in the day. And the hamburgers at the beach grill were really good.

Our room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Although all the rooms "face" the ocean, you may want to be sure you are on the 4th floor or above if having a view of the ocean from your room is important to you - below that is Pool view. The one and only downside to the room is the lack of typical amenities - we were given shampoo, but no conditioner, lotion, cotton balls/swabs, shower cap, etc (the kind of things you find in many upper-end resorts), so pack some travel-sized toiletries of your own. On the other hand, they were generous with the bottled water, which many other resorts charge for. And there were no clocks of any kind in the rooms. I don't wear a watch so I had to keep checking my cell phone to see what time it was. 99% of the time this is probably no big deal, since you're most likely on vacation anyway, but if you have something you need to be "on time" for (a dinner reservation, a wedding, or a meeting if you're there on business) - just be aware of this and make sure you have a way to tell time.

There is no internet available in the rooms, but there is high-speed wireless internet in the comfortable lobby/breezeway, which I found to be reliable and quick, and I rather enjoyed spending a bit of time in the mornings having coffee and checking my email while watching guests come and go.

Although it is a family resort, and has a Kids Club, there were very few children there during my stay, so it was quiet and relaxing. If you do have younger kids (tweens or younger) you may want to wait until summer when there might be more kids there to play and hang out with.

Lastly, if you enjoy souvenir shopping, the Park Royal is only about a 5 minute cab ride from the downtown shopping district with plenty of shops and a few restaurants/bars, including some well known "chain" places like Senor Frog's, Margaritaville, and Carlos 'n Charlie's.

I would recommend this resort to couples looking for a nice quiet getaway or anyone who wants to dive or snorkel some nice reefs, and who likes the 'all inclusive' concept.

5 Thank TrishaTheTravelChick