This was our first time in Cozumel and we stayed at the Park Royal through RCI. It definitely ranked up there with the other all-inclusives we've been to in Mexico. Beautiful hotel grounds, very nice pools (especially the pools by the beach!), very friendly staff. We loved that the grounds were so lush with tropical trees and plants. Other reviews complained about the trees blocking the view - we were on the 4th floor and looked right over the trees and could easily see the ocean. The lower floors were probably blocked by the trees though.
Our room was very nice and housekeeping did a great job at keeping it clean. They also gave you 2 free bottles of water each day. Only a few complaints: the lack of lighting, especially in the bathroom (nearly impossible to put makeup on!), the beds were pretty hard, and we didn't get a king (we just pushed the 2 double beds together).
The food was pretty good, especially at the buffet. I feel like things might've been scaled back a little, since the hotel was pretty empty due to the swine flu. But the buffet still had a pretty good variety every day, a lot of fresh fruit, a different theme for dinner each night. We liked the Italian restaurant pretty well - great service, good selection of food - but we didn't like the Mexican restaurant at all. Really slow service and the food was pretty bland. We didn't even stay for dessert. We visited the sports bar several times to watch the NBA playoffs and really liked the atmosphere. The drinks from around the hotel were really good - always plenty strong. We tipped the bartender at the pool bar that we visited regularly at the beginning of the week and never had a problem with drinks afterward!
The pools and small beach were very nice. We spent most of our time at one of the beach-front pools, just leaning on the infinity edge and enjoying the ocean view. The beach has nice soft sand with a shallow wading pool that opens into the ocean. You can snorkel off the beach, but most of the fish are in the shallow pool. Once you get into open water, they're pretty scarce. We never had any problem finding a chair at the pool or the beach, but again, the hotel was pretty empty.
Other reviews complain about the cruise ships because they are so close. We were lucky enough to see Cozumel's first cruise ship in more than a month - very important day for the island! Yes, the ships do come pretty close to the hotel - you can even hear the loudspeaker announcements from the boat while you're sitting on the beach. But they are way off to the south side of the hotel and only block a little bit of the view to that side. We actually enjoyed watching the ship come in, watching people come and go, and then watching the ship leave in the evening. I've included a picture from the beach so you can get an idea of just how close they come.
Overall, we had a great, relaxing time. A few other random things.... The hotel is not within easy walking distance of town or any real nightlife, so I'd suggest renting a car or plan on paying for taxis if you want to go shopping or go out to the bars. Taxis were about $5-8 one way. There is a Walmart-type store pretty close by. The hotel has free parking and free WiFi in the lobby. The hotel does have peacocks on site, so plan on waking up to loud bird calls everyday!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turquoise - often crystal clear waters -are just offshore. Beneath the surface are breathtaking reefs to attract undersea divers (and fantastic undersea life) from around the world and the Grand Park Royal Cozumel is in the center of it all. The leading All-inclusive on the island welcomes guests to 342 spacious guest rooms each with balcony overlooking the finest corner of the Caribbean. All inclusive, unlimited meals, drinks, snacks, 4 restaurants, buffet style and a la carte, 2 snacks, Café Sole (coffee house), 5 bars, room service 24 hours, in room mini-bar that is restocked daily, high-speed internet access (surcharge) or basic free internet, live entertainment, kids' club (0 -12 years old), fully equipped fitness center ($), spa, 3 resort swimming pool (including 2 infinity pools, main pool & kids club pool with water slides) and two Jacuzzis facing the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Park Royal Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Royal Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel Mexico