“Very relaxing, very friendly!”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Northern Colorado
“Very relaxing, very friendly!”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This was our first time in Cozumel and we stayed at the Park Royal through RCI. It definitely ranked up there with the other all-inclusives we've been to in Mexico. Beautiful hotel grounds, very nice pools (especially the pools by the beach!), very friendly staff. We loved that the grounds were so lush with tropical trees and plants. Other reviews complained about the trees blocking the view - we were on the 4th floor and looked right over the trees and could easily see the ocean. The lower floors were probably blocked by the trees though.

Our room was very nice and housekeeping did a great job at keeping it clean. They also gave you 2 free bottles of water each day. Only a few complaints: the lack of lighting, especially in the bathroom (nearly impossible to put makeup on!), the beds were pretty hard, and we didn't get a king (we just pushed the 2 double beds together).

The food was pretty good, especially at the buffet. I feel like things might've been scaled back a little, since the hotel was pretty empty due to the swine flu. But the buffet still had a pretty good variety every day, a lot of fresh fruit, a different theme for dinner each night. We liked the Italian restaurant pretty well - great service, good selection of food - but we didn't like the Mexican restaurant at all. Really slow service and the food was pretty bland. We didn't even stay for dessert. We visited the sports bar several times to watch the NBA playoffs and really liked the atmosphere. The drinks from around the hotel were really good - always plenty strong. We tipped the bartender at the pool bar that we visited regularly at the beginning of the week and never had a problem with drinks afterward!

The pools and small beach were very nice. We spent most of our time at one of the beach-front pools, just leaning on the infinity edge and enjoying the ocean view. The beach has nice soft sand with a shallow wading pool that opens into the ocean. You can snorkel off the beach, but most of the fish are in the shallow pool. Once you get into open water, they're pretty scarce. We never had any problem finding a chair at the pool or the beach, but again, the hotel was pretty empty.

Other reviews complain about the cruise ships because they are so close. We were lucky enough to see Cozumel's first cruise ship in more than a month - very important day for the island! Yes, the ships do come pretty close to the hotel - you can even hear the loudspeaker announcements from the boat while you're sitting on the beach. But they are way off to the south side of the hotel and only block a little bit of the view to that side. We actually enjoyed watching the ship come in, watching people come and go, and then watching the ship leave in the evening. I've included a picture from the beach so you can get an idea of just how close they come.

Overall, we had a great, relaxing time. A few other random things.... The hotel is not within easy walking distance of town or any real nightlife, so I'd suggest renting a car or plan on paying for taxis if you want to go shopping or go out to the bars. Taxis were about $5-8 one way. There is a Walmart-type store pretty close by. The hotel has free parking and free WiFi in the lobby. The hotel does have peacocks on site, so plan on waking up to loud bird calls everyday!

1 Thank alurofl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC area
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The Park Royal Cozumel Resort is a beautiful, exceptionally clean and well-maintained Mayan-themed resort located on the west side of Cozumel.

I am a part-time travel writer, writing mostly about Washington, DC and spent a 4-day weekend at the Park Royal, and I truly enjoyed my stay. (Check www.thedctraveler.com for my in depth review.)

The hotel is just a 5-minute cab ride to the main shopping and restaurant zona and about 10 to the airport.

My top floor room had a great view of the ocean, cruise ship dock and resort. The property has just about everything a vacationer would want, including 4 pools, lots of bars, a few good restaurants, private beach, fitness center, nightly entertainment, and a delightfully helpful staff.

The resort is all-inclusive, so the price includes all your meals, snacks, beverages (alcohol as well), taxes and tips.

My room was comfortable, airy and nicely decorated, with two comfortable double beds, a small patio outside with a couple chairs and small table, 27” TV, phone, a large walk-in shower, dual vanity, and a large closet with a safe. The rooms employ a nice “eco-green feature” -- slip your key into a wall slot to activate the electricity. When you leave, all the lights are automatically shut off, but not the A/C.

I would have liked to have a clock or clock radio in my room, as well as a luggage stand, and a few additional bathroom amenities. But the 2 bottles of water left by housekeeping each day were a nice touch, even though the resort’s tap water was purified.

To get to the private beach and two infinity pools, walk through the short tunnel and avoid crossing the main road. The property is situated on both sides of Avenue Rafael Melgar, but built in a way that it’s almost not noticeable.

The resort’s 4 pools include two beautiful infinity pools beachside. Each day, free activities are offered from water aerobics to Spanish lessons. I didn’t partake in the activities as I preferred to sit poolside and read, go scuba diving or wander around town. Each of the three adults pools have a swim up bars. The private beach is small, but offers bathers the ability to snorkel or swim. They also had more than enough lounge chairs and towels.

I ate at all three restaurants during my stay and the food was significantly better than any all-inclusive resort I had been to before. The two upscale restaurants (Mexican and Italian cuisine – reservations required, no kids under 12) offered full a la carte dinner menus and truly great food, beautifully presented in a tropical setting. Try the coconut grouper – fantastic!!

Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets are served at the main buffet restaurant (La Veranda). Expect lots of Mexican, Caribbean and American options with the selections changing daily. Again, very good.

All drinks, beer, wine and cocktails are included and the bartenders provided “service with a smile” (and made a darn good margarita too!) One day at lunch the waiter keep bringing me beer after beer when he saw mine was almost finished, until I had to finally had to say “No mas.”

I can’t say enough positive things about the staff. They really provide great service. They seemed to try to anticipate guest‘s needs, not wait until asked. Never once did I experience indifferent service or a long wait.

They have a nice fitness center, but I didn’t use it.

This is also one of the cleanest and best maintained resorts I have ever stayed at.

Bottom line -- The service was great, the staff helpful and friendly, the rooms and grounds very comfortable, the food great and my experience wonderful. On my next trip to Mexico, I will seriously consider some of their other properties.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Jon_The_DC_Traveler
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We booked this resort based on the photos and the TA reviews. We feel we made a good selection overall. Due to H1N1 panic, there were only 12 people on our flight down to Coz. We were the only people that checked in on Sunday May 3. We stayed till Mon May 11th. Took the airport shuttle for 8 bux a person to the Park Royal outdoor lobby. Amazing of course, a 5 story palapa at night is somthing to revel at! They let us check in early, assigned us a room on the 4th floor, I asked if we could see the ocean from there, the guy said 'no'. I asked if we could have a higher room. He said 'no, that is all we have available' without even looking. I presume they were 'booked' with the swine flu epidemic panic and all. I asked is we could switch rooms tomorrow, he said maybe.

Well we could see enough ocean from room 2420 to satisfy my desire, and I was very very happy with the room! Marble showers and clear water from the faucets. 2 bottles of water provided daily and an ice bucket to fill down the hall. Shampoo only, no conditioner, we knew that ahead of time.

The drinks were great, top shelf liquor, no rot gut. The bartenders will make anything you can think of and with a smile! Thanks Luis at the Marlin pool bar! The activity guys, Manuel, Gaspar and Francisco (Gorgeous is his nickname) really got those involved who wanted to be. I recommend pool volleyball for those who want to get involved without sweating! Sand volleyball is fun, just watch for the asphalt under the sand! Casino night was most fun, and the fire show is the top runner.

The only negative for us was the cuisine. The food was sub par, and I am not a picky eater. Maybe we were spoiled at a Riu chain in Cancun, but the buffet was only 1/2 open because of low occupancy at Park Royal. There were less than 100 guests at this resort built for thousands. Only 4 floors of the hotel were open to visitors, and several in our friend circle became ill after eating one evening, fish was the culprit we think. Because of the low occupancy maybe they were holding onto things too long at improper temps? Breakfast buffet was always fresh and delicious, eggs made to order and the most amazing fresh fruit juices, I get watermelon and mix it with iced tea for lunch. If you want alcohol or soda with a meal, just ask your server. I think, again, that the food situation was probably due to no crowd being there, so it may be better at other times!

Beach chairs and pool chairs were plentiful because no one was there, and there were no cruise ships at any point to block our view (swine again) The snorkeling is a MUST DO! I recommend bringing your own gear if you plan to be adventurous and do it daily or take a trip to a reef.

Would be happy to answer questions or offer Cozumel advice, just message me! We were there 9 days and did tour the island in our Mexican Porsche... Park Royal I would say is a 3 star resort. With better food, room service, hair conditioner and evenly paved pathways it would be a 5!!!! We did enjoy our trip there!!!

6 Thank Future_Mrs_A
Chicago IL
Reviewed 18 May 2009

The Park Royal was a great place to stay. It's a wonderful resort to just relax and enjoy the beautiful grounds. The staff is very accomadating and the food I thought was more than average. The buffet was always fresh with a wide assortment of choices. We did try the two restaurants and both were outstanding. The entertainment staff at the Park Royal were a great group of people and the nightly shows were beyond what I had expected. they were fantastic. The rooms were very clean and we enjoyed the daily towel animals on our bed. With 3 pools and the beach there's is something for everybody. I highly recommend staying here. And we were there during this whole flu fiasco.

4 Thank cynthee
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Beware of Royal Park facilities, they are high pressure times share sales hotels.
Please take this advice, do not agree to anything before going back home looking this company up.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie1982
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 1 May 2009

This place is great. The food is really good and very fresh (although we did not try the restaurants) - I'm a very healthy eater and there was always something I would eat on each buffet. The drinks were great (they have different flavors of juice at the bar that are great to put in a vodka/soda to add some fun flavor). The place is impeccably maintained - super clean. We brought a white noise machine b/c the halls do echo. We went scuba diving every day with Liquid Blue Divers (HIGHLY recommended, they are awesome) - my only complaint about Park Royal is they allow the onsite dive operation, Aquaworld, to charge people for using the dock to be picked up by other dive boat. That is ridiculous, given that we were staying at the hotel where the dock is located. The cruise ships are actually pretty cool to look at and not annoying at all. The fitness center is really nice - costs $5 but that keeps the "non-exercisers" from crowding the place so it's fine by me. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank milleka
Toronto
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Great spot, lived up to the best reviews I read here. Taxi's would happily rip you off, ask the price before they take you anywhere. Food was very good, drinks even better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple