“Park Royal Cozumel - Great is an Understatement”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Peekskill, New York
“Park Royal Cozumel - Great is an Understatement”
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We spent a week from June 30, 2007 through July 7, 2007 and traveled with three of our adult children and two of our pre-school grandchildren.
The resort was very well maintained and the complex was absolutely beautiful. Considering the damage suffered during hurricane Wilma, we were truely amazed that the site was in tip-top shape and that every aspect of the daily operation was trouble free. The three pools were great and not crowded even with some activities for children.
I cannot lavish enough praise for the staff at this hotel. The front desk staff was courteous and effecient and made both check-in and check-out a smooth experience. The service staff in the resturants were also great and made dining with small children a smooth, easy experience. The activities people were the true highlight of the hotel employees. The manner in-which they interacted with our grandchildren was out of this world. Our grandkids absolutely fell in love with all of the people. To be honest , all of us did. Whether it was the pool activities or during the nightly entertainment, the activities staff made each encounter a very special event for our "little ones" and also us "big ones". I cannot say enough about these people.
The meals were very good and plentiful and the variety and abundance was refreshing.
Let me sum up or stay. Absolutely great!!! My wife and myself will be returning in the near future.
Edward Rish, Peekskill, NY
edwardrish@optonline.net

• Liked — Clean, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — n/a
8 Thank yankees61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We had an absolutely wonderful time—my mother had a smile on the entire time—the only caveats (just want to ground expectations a bit!) No, there is no clock so bring your own; common sense is that if you are in a developing country, opt for a safe box no matter what; the beach is a bit small so if you are longing for a wide expansive beach, check out a local beach club nearby; bring ‘proper attire’ to attend the restaurants; say no to any ‘welcome package,’ so you don’t have to deal with a time share presentation. Okay, now that all of that is out of the way, we couldn’t have had a more pleasurable vacation! I went with my brother (30 years old) any my mother and there were enough activities at the hotel or in nearby downtown Cozumel to make things interesting and fun. The staff was super helpful and nice and we loved the food. I highly recommend making reservations at the nicer restaurants in the evenings—the food is good and it’s fun to dress up. My mother in particular enjoyed the water aerobics they offered every day and all of us enjoyed the evening performances. Honestly, I can’t say enough good things about the place.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — that's actually a bit hard--no clock in the rooms
4 Thank RoseAnne F
Maryland
Reviewed 13 July 2007

After struggling with the reviews we chose Park Royal. So heres the truth! The place is really pretty, the rooms are a nice size and the grounds are gorgous. Yes, there are cruise ships every day pretty close to the rooms but they did not bother us at all. There is a barge and large crane in the water right by the ships which I could have done without BUT it wouldnt stop me from going there! The front desk wasnt the friendliest but the rest were awesome!!! Johhny Angel is great fun! NOTE*** you can NOT get roll away beds or sleeper sofas here and the beds are only doubles so really too small for two adults to share, especially if they are not young children. They really dont have bottled water here but we drank the water from the bars and restaurants as it is filtered and no problem! You do have to go under a road thru a tunnel to get to the beach but if I hadnt read it on here I would never have known. the beach is tiny.....5 mins max to walk from one side of the cove to the other but the 3 pools more than make up for it.There is an internet cafe a few doors down where you can let home know you got there safely for $2 an hour. We only used it for 5 mins...too much else to do and see! We asked a taxi driver on our last day how much it would be to drive us around the island for an hour and we baragined for $40 and he took us for 2 hours so he got a good tip! He drove us north to south points and east to west and thru the local nighborhoods that we would not have seen. We also took the boat across to Playa del Carmen and rented a car and drove to Chichen Itza if anyone wants to know more I will be glad to share. By the way, it is VERY quiet there at night and only one bar open after 7pm (we are not drinkers but went to meet others and there were never more than 4 poeple in there and if you are under 18 you are not even allowed to sit in the sports bar. You can take a taxi to town for $5 just make sure you ask how much first as they change the prices...lol You wont be sorry unless you are party people as it was quiet . We loved it ! We were sorry to leave and I envy those of you just heading out! ENJOY . Plenty of pics if you want to see them but it takes away from the surprise when you get there!gladly share info or pics of you like!

• Liked — clean rooms, pretty grounds and a great pool! Most staff awesome.
  • Disliked — no roll aways, no bottled water, front desk as a first impression were not the friendliest.
6 Thank touristogrande
New York
Reviewed 9 July 2007

Without a doubt we will be back! We were all treated like royalty from the moment we arrived. Every single person on thier staff was always smiling and helpful. Within a day or two they all knew our names and greeted us with our names. I have 2 small children ages 2 and 4, the kids club was great and the staff was always there to help. The rooms were great, the food equally great. I cannot say enough about this hotel and it's staff! Definately a place to go several times over, and while there try the activities they plan - another bonus. The staff and atmosphere really made our trip what it was. We will forever be loyal and will only stay at the Park Royal when going to Mexico.

• Liked — The staff and the hotel. It'sone of the few hotels left that offers the whole package. Fun and Personality
  • Disliked — The maid service, they came but at all different hours and usually forgot something, towels, soap, something.
2 Thank andib176
UK
Reviewed 2 July 2007

Unsure about reviews we had read we didnt really know what to expect when we arrived!
Cocktails on arrival, an amazing reception area, rooms were plenty large with large shower and very comfortable beds.

The three pools were more than satisfactory, the entertainment - unbeleivable, the food got slightly repetative after the first week.

The staff could not be more helpful both bar staff and concierce. We booked many trips through the concierce and HUMBERTO was always on hand!

Overall We loved Park Royal and we will definately be returning in the near future!

• Liked — clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jenandoli
Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Pleasantly surprised at how nice everything was. We have stayed at many high priced hotels all accross Mexico and found this to be a place we would surely return. Staff was very friendly and helpful, food was very good, rooms were clean and quiet, fitness center was top notch.I just wish they would not have all the time-share people hitting on you when you first arrive, but as with most tourist hotels thats the norm. The bars close at 7pm which makes for a great place for peice and quiet but the town is only a 5 dollar cab ride. Snorkeling was free and great just a few feet away from the beach. We highly recommend this hotel for adults and kids.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Time share saelspeople
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lmidkiff
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My boyfriend and I enjoyed this hotel at the beginning of June for 7 nights. We had a king size bed which we loved but I don't think two double beds would have been an issue at all. There is a big mirror on the wall beside the bed, which made for some interesting and fun times! The pools are awesome and we never had a problem finding a chair or having some alone time. I would not have liked this resort as much if it was at full capacity. The resort seemed to be a great place for couples. There were basically couples and families with well behaved children. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than screaming brats. I am not a big "foodie" but the food was mediocre. The Caribbean restaurant was not open when we were there so that was a bit of a disappointment for me because I was really looking forward to trying the food. The breakfast buffet was the best and we never tried it for dinner so I don't know how that was. I basically lived on guacamole and pico de gallo the whole time I was there. I did gain about 7 pounds too, which was one downside of doing an all inclusive. The worst part of this hotel is by far the screaming peacock that wakes you up every morning like clock work. It is impossible to sleep in at all. We joked about cooking him and eating him for dinner and it makes me wonder if some of the sketchy food items might indeed be peacock. Overall this resort is by far worth the money. It looks nicer than any of the others on the island with the exception of The Cozumel Palace and the staff is awesome. Enjoy your stay.

Stayed June 2007