“MUCH better than I was expecting”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I was the wedding photographer for a wedding at the resort in December of 2010. Prior to the trip, I stalked Trip Advisor for any/all info on the resort I could find so I knew what I was getting into. After reading so many so-so and bad reviews, I honestly was really worried that this trip was not going to be that great and that my oh-so-picky husband would be a grump the entire trip. I have to say that I was very surprised and elated with how much we ended up liking the resort!

To address some of the concerns here: yes, the "hot tubs" are not heated and the pools are cool. Towards the end of our trip due to consistant warm, sunny days the pools were more bearable but I understand not heating the water due to the fact it's only "cold" a month or two of the year. To me that's not a big deal as I only dunk in to cool off - not to swim. I can see how this would be a worry for those with children though. The food IMHO is actually pretty good - I've stayed at an all inclusive before (Paradisus in Punta Cana) and I came home starving because I hated every.single.thing there. I was VERY pleased with not only the buffet but the restaurants as well. Sure, it may not be high-end style food but it's edible and pretty darn good. Since I was with the wedding group and had a red wristband (which means I think you're in the cub) I was left alone and never bothered once for promotions. While they are slightly pesky, I didn't see anyone overly harassing anyone during my time there. Finally I was concerned about the hot water issue in the rooms but we never had an issue getting hot water for a shower and the pressure was always fantastic. I love HOT showers too and that would have been something I'd have been sad about.

Pros:
- resort is well maintained and clean. HUGE thing with my husband, he's picky about stuff like this.

- friendly staff. Always saying hello and offering help at every turn. We never encountered one staff member that wasn't courteous and polite.

- good food. As I said above, if you're looking for filet mignon you'll be upset but the food is consistently good and edible. Breakfast would be the most lacking of the 3 meals but there was still enough variety for even the pickiest eater. The 2 snack bars were also great alternatives during the day to buffet lunch - serving hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, chicken patties, nachos and chips.

- the ocean. Yes, the views are hampered by cruise ships from time to time but I liked watching them come in and out. Sundays are light days so that's the day you'll get the best views from the resort. The beach is nice, even if small.

- snorkeling. Even though the 1 hour limit is a bit of a downer, it's nice to be able to paddle out straight from the beach and explore. Take a banana from the buffet and the fish will swarm to you, it's amazing!

- alcohol. What's not to like about a never ending supply of liquor ;) The pours were more than generous and the staff always friendly.

Cons:
- cool water hot tubs/pools. It would have been nice to have warm water. I will agree that it's disappointing but not a dealbreaker.

- walkways often tricky. The only main complaint is that the walkways were paved with coral rocks so your ankles would twist and turn easily. I saw one girl sadly fall and appeared to have broken an ankle. It would be hard on elderly people to walk on for sure.

- safes. I'm not sure how it could cost the resort much money a day to allow you to use their safe - we even had to replace the batteries in ours to get it to work. Paying to use it was bothersome but again, not a dealbreaker.

- internet. The ONLY real gripe I have about the place is the craptacular wifi/internet. It rarely worked and made it difficult for me to stay on top of my business at home. They have it for 'free' inside their lobby but it's hard to connect to and rarely keeps you in long. If you need to connect, hit the beach area and connect to El Cid for free for 5 minutes a day. Long enough to check into email and catch up. There is also an internet cafe nearby that you can walk to.

I really was VERY impressed with the resort and hope to return someday!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank c0reyann

Reviewed 11 January 2011

We took a New Years Eve trip as a couple and left the children home. We stayed at this hotel for seven nights. This hotel is clean and beautiful. The staff are constantly sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning, painting to keep this hotel immaculate. The La Vernada restaurant has very good food with many choices. The waitstaff is always available to please. They are very accommodating to anything you may desire. We ate at the El Mexicano restaurant one night and the food was good, but the all the food comes out of the same kitchen so we were very pleased to eat the rest of our meals at La Vernada. Plus La Vernada is open, spacious and has beautiful views of the courtyard area. There is always something going on in La Vernada for the children. Every night there was a clown who would make balloon characters for both adults and children. He was fun, friendly, fast and very creative.

This hotel is in front of the cruise ship dock so ships are in quite frequently. If you don't like cruise ships then find another hotel otherwise this hotel has everything for you. The pools down at the beach have easy access through the property and under the street.

As in most foreign countries the mattresses on the bed are hard, so prepare for a hard bed. Also the internet service really needs improvement. They have four computers in the business center for the entire property. None of the rooms have access and the lobby is the only place you can SOMETIMES, but very seldom access the internet. Seems their bandwidth is very poor and maybe one or two people could get on at a time. If they fix the internet problem it would be an outstanding hotel.

We went diving three days and used Aqua World which is located right next door to the beach bar. You can access the shop through the beach during the day or it is across the street from the front of the hotel. They are very well organized and very professional. We loved diving with them and will use them again when we return next year for another dive trip. They also have snorkeling, and a sub for those who don't want to get wet.

We also rented a jeep from Ernesto's which is also located next to the Aqua World and took a drive around the island. There are some great restaurants on the island that the locals eat at and if you like fresh seafood I would recommend stopping for lunch. The beaches on the far side of the island are beautiful and the sand is very soft.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Awesome resort. My husband and I travel to Mexico once a year and have never planned to go back to a resort that we've visited before. Well that is not the case this year. We visited Park Royal in April 2010 and plan to do the same in April of 2011. All of the staff is wonderful but the bartender Luis takes the cake! He does an awesome job! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

THERE IS NO HOT TUB JACUZZI. Those are full of COLD WATER. They said they are never heated!!!
When we tried to get our $50 car rental for 3-days, after the promotion, they tried to sell us on car insurance for another $25 a day. They gave us a jeep with a broken seat, empty on gas & grinding brakes.
The all-inclusive food was always cold and the drinks are watered down. If you want to have dinner in the Italian or Mexican restaurants, you have to make your reservations around noon if you want to eat around 6:30. Those restaurants don't open until 6:30 and they are the only place you can get a decent beer!
By the way, as soon as you exit customs, they guide you to another Promotional Tour at the Occidental, which I heard was even worse than the Park Royal.
Internet connection blows over there. You had to use their little public computers to get on line!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I was forced to pay $90 for a friend to just spend the night in my room not drink or eat anything - I had to pay cash up front - this is over and above the money i spent for the week stay. I am furious and am trying to find who to write to about this. They tried to sell me the equivalent of a timeshare - somebody posed as a security guard to walk me to my room and 4 minutes later 2 guys from Guatemala at the bar were at my door knocking to get in - it was a setup so dont' know who to trust there. I travel alone all the time and never have problems like thesel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank chgoesuzan
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I had read the prior reviews and the majority were all on point. Hotel is very clean and service was GREAT. A wide variety of amenities (pools, beach, snorkeling, etc). I was worried that we were there during their busy time (Hotel was sold out on last night) but we ran into no problems with crowds. Plenty of chairs/space and no real lines for food and drinks. I would agree that the Hot-tubs were cold, but I got over it... Be sure to see Oscar at the Swim-up pool bar! We thought we would get board of the all inclusive restaurant and fully expected to hit soem restaurants, but never ended up doing so as food was great and there was a good variety. We will definitely go back

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom49022
Reviewed 1 January 2011

We stayed for 5 nights, which was more than enough. The place is clean, which is the nicest thing I can say about Park Royal. The sales pitch begins the moment you walk away from the front desk. The "concierge" will try to persuade you to spend 90 minutes at a one-on-one sales pitch for what amounts to a time share, though they won't call it that. The come on: discounts on car rentals, activities, etc. Don't fall for it; you can get everything cheaper than their "discounts" off-campus or online.
It is hard to avoid the sales pitches because they are ubiquitous. There are sales people at the pool, in your hotel tower's lobby and in the dining hall.
Alejandro was particularly annoying because he was asking for "some commission" (read: tip) at every turn. We asked him to make a restaurant reservation for us and the next day, he hit us up for money for making a local call. (I pointed out that as concierge, it was his job!)
Which brings me to the food...Breakfast is tolerable, lunch less so. Dinners were absolutely inedible. If you decide to stay here, consult the tripnadvisor restaurant list and eat dinners out. A car rental is a must because cabbies will rip you off.
If you like a quiet hotel that will afford you angood night's sleep, stay elsewhere. The karaoke and other nightly activities are loud. If you're a light sleeper, be prepared to stay up well past midnight because you'll hear it all inside your hotel room.
And by the way, if you plan to sleep with your partner, get used to sharing a full-size bed; there are two of these in most rooms. No queen or king size beds were available.
And if you like the beach, the one here is minuscule, it's view usually blocked by a cruise ship or two. The best beaches are on the other side of the island, anothernreason to rent a car.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family