“Mexican hospitality at it's finest”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Santee, California
“Mexican hospitality at it's finest”
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed 13 nights at Casa Mexicana. They exceeded all our expectations and then some. Very clean, wonderful breakfast buffet including smoked salmon, staff all helpful and kind, and would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend them. We had some problems with the room key but they made up for it by transferring us into a full ocean view room which was fabulous at no extra charge. They bent over backwards to cater to guests. It is also very centrally located. Views fabulous. You think you are on a ship because of the extraordinary architecture. To see pictures go to AudreyroseCool and Linda Craig Francisco wall on Facebook.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Antonio
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I spent the last week in Casa Mexicana while diving with Advanced Divers. I have traveled to Cozumel for many years and even though this hotel is familiar I had not stayed here previous to this trip.
My experience could not have been better. My choice of room when booking was in the rear, facing town and I was given a room on the 4th floor. The room was comfortable, clean and quite. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have had in Cozumel.
Escalator from the street level accesses the hotel lobby and the floors are served by an elevator so there is no problem getting dive gear in and out of the hotel each day. I needed a Taxi each day to get to the Calleta and the Taxi line is right across the street from the hotel lobby and the Taxi was always there waiting.
The buffet breakfast is very satisfactory. They have typical Mexican breakfast dishes but they will cook you eggs, French toast bacon and many other items, as you desire. The fruit service is of large variety and there are always homemade breads.
Coffee to go was available in the lobby each morning when I woke up well prior to breakfast being served.
If I had to come up with one complaint it would be that the lobby bar is seldom staffed. This is not a big problem since you can go down the escalator turn right and in ½ block find several places to buy a couple of beers or bottles of water. The room has a small refrigerator so just stock up with what you need and don’t worry about the lobby bar. There is a bottle opener in the bathroom so buy what you want.
This will be my home base in Cozumel from now on.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fishpicturesbybob
Erin, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2011

After a three night stay I would return to this business style hotel despite a few minor inconveniences.

This small four story hotel was spotless which is always my first consideration when booking any hotel advertising under $100/night. I was able to upgrade to an ocean view room upon arrival for an additional $28/night. Rooms were spacious with a small bar fridge and a grocery store 3 blocks away.

Regarding reservations, despite phoning directly to confirm the day before, upon arrival they tried to convince me that I had booked 7 nights not 3, and had to honor the booking! Thank goodness, I had both my email confirmation from the hotel and the name of the person that my partner had confirmed the reservation with, in spanish, the day before! They subsequently also asked me to sign a blank credit card slip for additional charges, which of course I would not. Aside from these difficulties and that the front desk staff were completely useless in advising as to attractions, location of certain restaurants very close by, or make any recommendations about where was best to buy certain items, the hotel was a good deal for the price paid!

I would stay again when in cozumel

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank beacontide
North Dakota
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We have stayed in many hotels throughout the years and can honestly say this was by far our best experience. We spent 30 days at Casa Mexicana and had an ocean view room. We had an incredible experience with absolutely no complaints. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, cleanliness was impeccable, breakfast was great. We were never bothered by noise, even during Carnival. Ocean view balcony was fantastic and we spent many hours lounging on the balcony. Will most definitely return!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms more expensive but well worth it
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LesKaren
Twickenham
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I booked this hotel for 2 nights and ended up staying 5 nights.

The room was large, with a nice balcony, air con, cable tv, wifi, spotlessly clean and a great buffet breakfast.

There is a great pool and the hotel is shaped like a cruise liner which is apt and there seem to be several cruise liners visiting Cozumel during the day.

It takes about 5 mins to get here from the ferry which is opposite the main square (where there is live music and dancing on Sunday night)

Unfortunately, I didn't rate the snorkelling as I've been to much better places but Cozumel was great compared to Playa del Carmen or Cancun if you want something island like!

Room Tip: Great free buffet breakfast, great hotel design
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
california
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Loved this hotel when we first arrived. It's lovely, centrally-located, and affordable. The hotel is kept exceptionally clean and it is well-staffed. The breakfast is delicious. The pool is more like a kiddie pool, but hey, you're next to the ocean.
All seemed well, but once we had our first night, I started to really dislike it. Because it is downtown there was a ton of bar noise and my husband and I couldn't sleep. We had to switch rooms at 1am. Then, of course, they put us in the room that overlooks the breakfast area (most do) and the kitchen noise gets really loud starting at about 6am.
Then, one of the concierge men said that he'd set us up with SCUBA diving. We were tired but really excited. He said that there was none left for the day and that the one we wanted was booked up the next day so he'd found us an alternative. We were impressed until we found out that HE LIED. He went with this other company because they would pay him for bringing us in. Then, on the last day, check-out was slow and the reception accused us of stealing their towels. I told them that they could check our bags, but they said that they'd like to charge us a fee. We ended up being late to the airport because it took 45 minutes to resolve the issue. (Remember: we had to move rooms. The original towels they accused us of stealing was still in first room!) So, if you stay here: BUYER BEWARE!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank s_surfergirl
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2011

The facility is extra clean, the staff are all very kind and most speak English.
The beds are the best (better than my bed at home) and the free buffet breakfast served between 7-12noon was surprisingly good(something for everyone).
They have a bar on premise though sometimes you have to ask for the bartender cause he has many other jobs too. His name is Gasper (known as the friendly ghost) and he's a real peach!
Lots of channels on the TV. I'd highly recommend paying the extra for a deluxe ocean view. You won't be disappointed. The deluxe city view is a bit of a stretch.

Room Tip: ask for deluxe ocean view or 318,418,518
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple