“Clean place, nice people. But not luxury...”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Casa Mexicana was a very clean and friendly place. The rooms were adequate, AC worked well too. For the price, its a great deal. If you don't plan on spending much time in the room, its a good idea to stay here. Right in the middle of downtown, so many restaurants are walking distance.

Here is the thing though. If you are looking for a beachfront hotel, or to be bathed in luxury for your stay, this is not the place. We ended up visiting a 5 star resort for a timeshare presentation, and my wife was kind of disgruntled that we didn't get to stay somewhere as nice as that. Obviously though, the 5 star was about 6 times what we paid for Casa Mexicana.

Room Tip: Turn off the AC at night, gets too cold.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lewi1913
Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Consider this is a good three star hotel. That’s the reason of the rating.

The hotel is located on the main street, close to the cruise and ferry piers. The entrance from the street are just electrical stairs, once you take them, you reach the lobby. It is simple, includes a fountain and ocean view. There’s a pool that I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable using. That’s me and I was during a sports event and the hotel was used as the main hotel, so it was always crowded.
There are three kind of rooms (with two different rates), the interior view rooms, which I would never choose. The interior has a view of the restaurant/patio. The other rooms, have external view of the city. The premium rooms have ocean view. You have to pay more for these rooms and are a few per floor.

The rooms are on the small side, but acceptable. They have and old-fashioned TV and they don’t have duvets. The bathroom is simple with a bath/shower combination. The pressure of the shower is fine. It has curtain, but there isn’t leakage outside. The floor is the same for all the room (including bathroom).
On the bad side, you can listen to your neighbors and the hallways. Usually is not an issue, but I had scandalous neighbors.

Buffet breakfast is limited but good. Nothing to shout home about, but fine to start well the day.

What makes a good hotel Casa Mexicana is the service. As I said, the rooms are very clean. The people in the front desk are always willing to give more, as have midnight dinner. A Supervisor helped us with special requirements. The ladies working for housekeeping were kind and always made towel art (different each day).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with interior views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bbffpp
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Casa Mexicana is a nice little hotel conveniently located right next to Aqua Safari and a block from some of the major tourist clubs like Carlos and Charlies. They offer clean, quiet rooms, memorably good service, and a free authentic breakfast every day, all at a really, really reasonable price. There is really no reason to stay at one of the large American chain hotels with options like Casa Mexicana.

One architectural note - The entire building is solid concrete, so the rooms are very quiet.

Room Tip: Ocean view is preferred....
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank jturk74
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Casa Mexicana Cozumel was a wonderful hotel. When we arrived we were greeting by helpful staff member who took our bags. We were given cold towels to help us cool off since it was very hot and humid out. As I filled out the check-in paperwork, I was presented with a cool drink. Our room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. There was a rabbit made of towels (a new animal each day) sitting on our bed which was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was very clean with a standard size tub and shower. We didn't request a ocean view room but we were still able to see the ocean an cruise ships from our balcony. We could hear their horns when they pulled in to port and when they were leaving. I could have done without that. The hotel also sits on the main street which is very busy with shops and restaurants all around and the traffic can be heard from the room. Breakfast was served on the 2nd floor from 7-11 (we could also hear this from our room on the 4th floor as well). This was one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had at a hotel. The made to order waffles and omelets were great (so was the fresh squeezed orange juice). There was always plenty of fresh sliced fruit available also. The pool was a disappointing (very small and maybe 3-4 feet deep). If other people are in the pool there is no room to swim. It is however shaded and it overlooks the ocean. I didn't eat dinner there but it looked tasty. Even with the noise, we will def come back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Senta82
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stayed an overnight here with another couple. Both of our rooms were clean, nicely furnished, and good bedding. The rooms were not spectacular and the city view out the back was not nice but given the price and hotel location, its the best deal in town. I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a nice clean inexpensive place to stay but its not a honeymoon suite.

Breakfast was one of the best included breakfasts I have had. Made to order omelets, lots of fruit, and a large buffett. Its an open air breakfast so there are a few errant flies around but not more than I have seen at high end hotels and far fewer than would concern any typical traveler.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamesb847
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Went with a friend for a weeks divecation and stayed at Casa Mexicana in Cozumel. The hotel is clean, well kept in a great location within walking distance to the town center, ferry, restaurants and shops. I was on the 4th floor, back facing (no view to speak of). The room was good sized, two queens, with balcony, with TV and usual basic amenities. The breakfasts were fantastic and Jamie the maitre d took personal care of us. I recommend this well price hotel without hesitation and will be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RadHal
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My adult daughters and I just wanted a short (4 day) getaway and this looked like fun... but it was so much more! The location is wonderful, the archetecture is soaring modern, spotlessly clean and the view from our room (#502) spectacular! Wait, I forgot the cool towel and virgin pina colada at check in, the helpful, genuinely happy staff and the to-die-for breakfast buffet! I could really go on- each meal in town was better than the one before... snorkeling could've gone on for days, and shopping was paradise at all price-points. Such a SURPRISE! Like a little jewel- I almost don't want others to discover it and spoil it for my return! So enjoyable....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family