“Casa Mexicana,,,, Nice, clean, close to everything”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Friendly staff, clean rooms & hotel. Close to everything downtown, even the free parking at Punta Langosta pier. I wish they had rinse tanks for dive gear, but they have an elevator to drag your stuff to the room which helps. We dove the north part of the island hunting Lionfish, so we were close to the dive spots. I will return for the Lionfish Safari next year, & we will stay at Casa Mexicana again.

Room Tip: Facing the ocean is a little windy during hurricane season, opt for the city view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank divinwithtal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed 28 October 2011

The service and atmosphere, everything here makes it just your average city hotel and nothing more.

I stayed at the Hotel Flamingo before this and liked that place better since it had more character and I believe that place was more clean than here.

A few things that I noticed that bothered me regarding cleanliness.

1. Tissues folded in a flower shape supposedly for decoration in the bathroom were smashed that I wasn't sure if it was leftover garbage after someone blowing their nose or not. I'd like to think not but I am still not sure.

2. There was leftover room service dishes everywhere sitting around since the afternoon in the hallway, making the place look like it was not well managed regardless of the fact that it is low season and not many people were around.

3. The cap on the pen in the room had bite marks everywhere suggesting it was already used. It's not a big deal and I would have not cared if I found it in a hostel but grossed me out in this case, since they were reusing it at a hotel that is supposedly considered nice and clean.

Other minor details are things like the view from the balcony is not always great depending on what room you are in, and that the walls are quite thin so you can hear what's going on next door. And lastly, if you are looking for character this is not the place. The front lobby makes the place look like it has more to the place than the rooms but I'm sure this part really depends on personal preference so will leave it to that.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank asanada
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I ended up staying here not by design but by circumstance. I could not have asked for better. The service was warm and friendly. My wants were often catered to - including ringside boxing tickets.This hotel is perfect for those who want to experience Cozumel rather than be isolated from it. When I return, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

You read review after review and try and make sense of what is important to you and it can be frustrating - so let me simplify, stay here. I stay in hotels 60% of the year with work and while this is not a Marriott or Hilton, I would put it against many of the Courtyards I have camped in although it has more of a Fairfield type feel. Casa Mexicana fills the bill perfectly if you are diving or strolling around town. It is VERY clean, beds are comfortable, bathrooms have up to date finishes, in-room safe, flat screen TV, decent lighting and a great breakfast (get the made to order waffle and coffee). We booked through the Aqua Safari and got a little better deal on the Ocean View room than any published rate - worth the upgrade in my opinion but others we talked to had similar, positive feedback on the Cityview room conditions. No beach but there are a few beach clubs that are a short taxi ride away. We dove every day and it was very convenient to walk to any number of restaurants and bars in the evening without having to fork over $40 for a round trip taxi ride outside of town. It is a little further to the dive sites but the boat ride is enjoyable and what else are you going to do - go buy more tourista trinkets?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nrgtrader
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The location is unbeatable if you want to stay in town very close to the pear, and all the shops, but its not a beach resort it does not have its own beach, that's the only thing I sea, in terms of cleanliness and all there is to it it's very good for it's value nothing extravagant just good, if you come in business on the other hand don't think about it this is your choose to be

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed at Casa Mexicana for a dive trip and it was a tremendous experience. I've never seen a cleaner hotel in this price range. There was someone with a mop, rag, or broom working some where at anytime.

My King-Room was huge. I was on the 5th floor looking into the Atrium area over looking down onto the second floor where breakfast was served. I could still see the water too, even though not a water view room.

Speaking of breakfast. What a set up. Everything from fresh fruits, pastries, to custom-made omelettes - and all included in the room price which was in the $60+ a night range.

The lobby area is large and impressive with a chest deep wading pool over looking the water. It was a nice place to come relax with a beer after a long day of diving.

The rooms had flat-screen TVs, and telephones. And I've stayed in other Mexican hotels that lacked such amenities. They also offered FREE Wi-Fi.

The staff were great, and it was a complete hassle-free experience.

The best part of the hotel is it's downtown, and near the excellent restaurants of Cozumel, and the fun bars too.

Room Tip: My room was 505 and was a great location, but not as much breeze as I would have liked for drying my...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Charles A
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights during our honeymoon in May. I've been meaning to write this review for some time, since we really enjoyed our time a Casa Mexicana, and would not hesitate to stay there again if we return to Cozumel.

Why we liked this place:
Location - this hotel is very central...pretty much at the epicenter of the San Miguel. As soon as you step outside you can easily grab a taxi or walk just a few minutes to some incredible restaurants and bars.

Breakfast - Although the food was not amazing, there were a number of items that were consistently good. We enjoyed the waffles, omelets, and fresh fruit, plus the coffee and juice were plentiful. The waiter at breakfast (I forget his name) was fantastic and really made us feel special each and every morning.

Great staff - like I said, the service at breakfast was wonderful and the front desk staff were very friendly and patient with my many questions about the island. They went above and beyond to get me info about Tulum and even made after hours calls to find out about a tour group the next day. We didn't end up going on the tour but appreciated their effort all the same.

View - we had a view of the ocean from our room and also enjoyed sitting out on the front hotel balcony in the evening watching the cruise ships load up and sail off. This is not a hotel with a beach (you'll need to go to either end of the island for that) but since we'd already spent 3 days at the Aura, we were fine with that.

Overal clean and comfy - like I said in the title, this place was very clean and very well kept (a huge contrast from our stay at the Aura) and it seemed like every time we turned around, the cleaning crew were hard at work scrubbing this or that. Our room was small but had everything we needed, including a fridge to store our drinks in and we slept quite well all three nights.

Economical - lastly, this place was far cheaper, newer and nicer than many other places on the island and I think it's a good deal for what we paid. We got a great deal on an ocean view room and in retrospect we would have been much better off staying at Casa Mexicana, and heading to different beaches around the island each day.

Overall, I would highly recommend Casa Mexicana. If you can live without the sandy beach (which is Cozumel are never a far drive away) this is a great, economical place to stay while you explore beautiful Cozumel.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our ocean view room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple