“Our first choice in Cozumel”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Fort Worth, TX
“Our first choice in Cozumel”
Reviewed 10 June 2008

My wife and I keep coming back to this hotel every time we come to Cozumel. We stayed here on our honeymoon, and with just a little bit of advance notice, the staff always puts us up in the same room.
Great view of the ocean, super clean, first rate staff, and surprisingly quiet even though it's right downtown. Amazing breakfast buffet.
Did I mention that we stay here every time we come to Cozumel? There's a reason...
If you prefer European Plan vacations instead of all-inclusive resorts, this is the place to be.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NubomTurk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 22 April 2008

My husband and I just returned from our 5th trip to Cozumel and we were very pleased with the Casa Mexicana Hotel. In the past, we've lodged some distance from the downtown area. However, we will stay at the Casa Mexicana from now on. We loved the convenient location, right next door to everything - dive shops, shopping, car rentals, great restaurants, El Centro, the ferry, and docks. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous - a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the view. The staff at Casa Mexicana was incredibly helpful (ask Fernando for one of his awesome margaritas) and the free breakfast alone is worth staying there. Not to mention how clean the place is kept. We also loved keeping in touch and forwarding photos to family, thanks to their great internet room. The pool is fairly small, so it might not be an ideal place for children or anyone requiring a large swimming area.
We were delighted that the hotel was within walking distance of La Mission and Prima restaurants. THE BEST eating in Cozumel! We also enjoyed diving with Black Shark Dive Shop. The reefs aren't what they were before the hurricane, but we adore Cozumel and always have wonderful trips. This one was the best yet!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robin908
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I volunteered to be bumped off a plane due to overbooking in Cozumel and the airline sent me to this hotel. I have been to Cozumel many times and as big as this hotel is, I never noticed it. Upon arrival I was shocked at the cleanliness of the property and the great staff. The room was very nice and clean, above average for most places in Cozumel. The room service was excellent and the breakfast was the run of the mill Mexico Breakfast Buffet. The hotel has the perfect location for everyone, it is steps from Aqua Safari pier, steps from the square, steps from Carlos and Charlies, and was a great hotel. I would certainly stay here again. I would certainly prefer this hotel to the run of the mill all-inclusives around town!

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, and kindness of staff.
  • Disliked — I had to leave.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
6 Thank cokerbud
Denver, CO
Reviewed 17 March 2008

When we were initially dropped off at the Hotel, we had some misgivings about the location. It's on the main street through town between the International Dock and the ferry dock in a very commercial area heavily dependent on cruise ship passengers. Once you go up the escalator, it's a little oasis at the top. The rooms are well sized and much quieter than you'd expect given the location. The beds were the hardest I've ever slept on but when we mentioned this to the front dest, they changed them immediately. Still very firm but ok. The included breakfast buffet was very good with cooked to order eggs,omlets, french toast, as well as fresh fruits and breads. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Bring a hair dryer if you use one - theirs don't work. This is our fourth trip to Cozumel but the first time we've stayed in town. We go to Cozumel to basically do nothing but spend the day laying on the beach and snorkeling and go into town for dinner at night. I think I prefer saying outside of town and taking a cab to town in the evening but, If you like to stay in the thick of things, this is a good hotel in a good location.

• Liked — Helpful staff and good breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Hard beds
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RPV49
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Okay, my friend and I are a travel company and have travelled a lot. We have many countries between the two of us, Mexico included, and Tripadvisor had not done us wrong on our last trip to Italy. I hate to say it though, Tripadvisor has done us wrong for Cozumel.

This supposed little gem messed up our reservation even though we reserved directly through them. They then pretended to not ever really know what we were saying throughout the remainder of our trip.

The water view is of cruise ships, the beds were quite hard, the mystery noises from the lobby area were annoying, and the breakfast buffet was really, really strange.

Hey, don't get us wrong, we are willing to do new and exciting adventures but for $200 a night in a really run-down town in Mexico this was not a valid option.

The photos they used in their advertising are totally and completely deceiving. I understand it is my fault not to understand that they weren't anywhere near sand, but they weren't anywhere near sand... And the pool, well it's not deep nor big.

• Stayed March 2008
3 Thank GirlieGirlTravel
central jersey
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Stayed there for a week Feb 08 and had a very enjoyable stay. The staff was most friendly and attentive. We booked a non oceanview room and my wife asked at check in, if available could we get an oceanview room. They had one but it was going to be like $35 more per night. She was hoping for a free upgrade so we said no thanks, we'll go with what we booked and the receptionist picked up the phone , I thought she was answering it, and she spoke for a bit in spanish, hung up and said she'd spoke to the manager and we could have the room for $28 more per night and my wife said no that's ok we'll be fine with the non OV so went to check into our room and it was a nice room and we took a look at our view and it was a view of people's back yards hanging laundry and all. She gave me the look and I said if you want the other room fine. So we did . We had more fun watching the comings and goings of the cruise ships and there passengers. I had brought binoculars. The water is pretty to look at as well. The 3rd floor room was very clean and comfortable. We brought a lap top and it was fun to send pictures while we were there. The included breakfast buffet was very good, like you'd get on a cruise or decent AI. We had a rental car so we got around.Seemed like we walked to restaurants every evening for dinner. You're so close to the center of things in town, very convient. The food was very good everywhere except for Carlos and Charlie's. We'd gone to the one in Cancun 20 something years ago and it was fine. This one was lousy. This was our first real visit to Cozumel except for an 8-6 stop on a cruise we'd taken a couple years ago. We had a great time snorkeling and going to the beach. Very relaxing. We hope to return soon and will certainly look into staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — clean with a friendly staff
  • Disliked — a bit noisy early in the morning
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jk-notenuffvacation
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 9 March 2008

My boyfriend and I just got back from a spectacular 7-night trip to Cozumel and stayed at the Casa Mexicana. We decided to splurge and get an ocean view room. I loved waking up to the ocean every morning. It also was neat to be see the different cruise ships that would dock each day.

The room was VERY clean, and the beds were comfortable and soft (but not too soft). (things everyone else is saying in these reviews). Having the mini fridge was nice too. One evening we ventured to the grocery store and got a couple of things. I don't have much to add to the others' positive reviews.

The breakfast buffet was also great.

We dove with Aqua Safari - which was really convenient because their shop (and dock) was about 1/4 of a block away. They're also GREAT!

Free internet access was also a nice feature. They had 4 computers for internet use (w/USB ports) and also WIFI throughout the hotel (rooms and lobby).

This hotel is also in a great location. If you don't mind walking, we were able to get around for shopping and meals, without a car, easily. We DID end up renting one to tour the island. But for normal day-to-day things, you don't need one.

The only negative thing I had about this hotel was that on 2 different nights, there were people that were a little loud down in the lobby bar in the middle of the night for a short bit of time. Since everything is so open (which is normally a GREAT feature), noise travels nicely. It wasn't bad enough for us to complain to the front desk...just wanted people to be aware.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend staying here!

• Liked — The cleanliness, location, and the breakfast buffet!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple