“Home away from home!”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Once again, Casa Mexicana gave me an awesome place to call home for the 5 days I was on the island.

Easy check in, comfortable room( 403, ocean view), great breakfast, everything Casa Mexicana is known for!

Preparing for another trip September 12-17th. Have done the AI routine but will not stay anywhere but with my friends at Casa Mexicana!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Hotel is clean and central location...good breakfast. Very small pool in the middle of lobby. Would stay only if staying a few days only to sleep. Arrived around 12pm ...had us wait till 3:30 to get a room. If staying here renting a car is a must !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank motheroftwoTampa
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have been in mexico for one month and this is the best place yet.
Super happy with the value for $$, facilaties were just great, clean room, big bed, good showers, great view from room. BEST OF All was the breakfast - the waffles and fresh fruit went down a treat every morning.
Highly recommend this place, the staff are nothing but the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view, you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aliciammccarthy
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Spent 7 days here in early August using the Mexicana as a base for a diving vacation. Generally stay at all-inclusives but some of the reports on the ones in Cozumel were less than glowing. Opted instead for what we considered the best b+b in the area and were not disappointed. Asked for high floor in an Ocean view room and got the top floor (504). Advantage with top floor is that you do not get a high connecting wall so have a 180degree view (to be weighed up with the disadvantage of being open to your immediate neighbours too), Despite the 'layered' design those in lower floors cannot be seen by the room above because of planting areas at the end of each patio (see photo). Breakfasts, like others have said, were very good and you can order other egg variations (poached etc) which are cooked in the main kitchen and brought up to the dining area for you. No complaints about cleanliness either there always seems to be a floor or seating area being washed somewhere. Strange process for pool towels, in order to get these you have to show id (despite wearing a valid hotel 'bracelet'). Bit peeved the first time at walking down from the 5th floor to find I couldn't get one without this additional 'level of security'. Tip: As they only use the same type as in the room just take the room towels.. much less hassle. Good wireless internet generally but forever having to sign in.Very good speed out of peak hours particularly.
The Mexicana is centrally located for local restaurants, many within 10 mins walk, but be prepared for the constant barrage of requests to look around every 'T' shirt or jewellery store as you make your way to them, more than likely you will be asked if you want to see a menu by restaurant 'touts' even as they see you leave the one next door to them.. its just habit i think.

Walk left out of the hotel for half a mile and find the supermarket for beer/wine/bread/snacks etc. They take US dollars and give change in pesos.
All in all a very good place to stay (the hotel ...not the supermarket)

Room Tip: Ocean view 5th floor have more panoramic views than the ones below (but may be overlooked by neighb...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed for two weeks in August 2013. Excellent breakfast and friendly staff. Unique approach to towel arrangements. Excellent location on the sea front in San Miguel town. I had room 404 with ocean view which despite one wall that restricted some view , overall it was very good view.

Room Tip: go for one in the middle overlooking sea front
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Darren M
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This hotel is exceptionally clean, from the entrance , lobby, dining room, stairs, elevator, swimming areas to your room. The rooms are very comfortable and the pillow top beds make you sleep like a baby. the breakfast buffet is excellent leaving you full and wanting for nothing else. The staff is very friendly and will engage in conversations with you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike K
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I spent 5 nights in July here, traveling solo. I had an ocean view room, 404 at the north end of the building. The room was spacious and clean. I was disappointed with the balcony view because my room was at the far end of the hotel, there's an extra wall that sticks out of the hotel that obstructs the ocean view. I asked to change rooms but they were full. The reception woman who I spoke to seemed annoyed when I asked for a new room but then another woman from the office called me and even though they couldn't change my room she was friendlier. The porter who helped me with my luggage took the time to talk to me about the room (AC, Tv etc), which was a nice touch. The breakfast buffet had more variety than you'd usually get but I didn't think it was particularly very tasty. As others mentioned, the pool is more like a wading pool but that didn't matter to me because I was there for scuba diving. There's an outdoor area with beach chairs if you want to relax but I wish there were some umbrellas. The July sun was HOT! The maid service was excellent. I never saw them but my room was spotless and they left elaborate towel art everyday. I brought my own coffee and press and they even rinsed the press for me. The location is perfect. Right across the street from the waterfront for pier picks if you're a diver and down the street from the ferry to Playa del Carmen. And you're right in town so shops and restos are outside the door. I know other people have complained about the noise from the eating area (the hotel is built around the common space where everyone has breakfast) but since I was on the 4th floor and had my AC, the clinking of dishes didn't bother me (and I'm a light sleeper). I never heard any street noise with my windows closed and AC on either. I would stay at this hotel again for the location, cleanliness and value.

Room Tip: Stay higher up so the noise from the eating area doesn't bother you in the mornings when they...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo