“Having the worst room ruins the experience.”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Cape May Beach
“Having the worst room ruins the experience.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

In the past I have given good reviews for this hotel. I chose cheaper rooms - I didn't need the view. These are generally at the back of the building. Sometimes there is a lot of noise there, though, too (the front has the view but also the bar crowd noise, although if there is no cruise ship in town, there might not be much). I have been here about 4 times now. The rooms are generally all the same with a balcony and large sliding doors along the back of the room. They all have that typical Carribean mold smell when the air is off, but usually once the AC is back on that subsides. I have generally found it to be clean. One little annoyance (in a day of electronics) is having only 2 outlets in the room and one is for the only lamp. I find the staff to be friendly and enjoy the breakfast here. The front staff is usually friendly, but I had a rather miserable experience this trip with a very grumpy front desk woman. There was no welcome drink. While that hardly matters, it was something nice in the past to make me feel welcome. So now I really didn't feel welcome (and I am sure this property could care less about any bad reviews or feelings). Then I got to my room. It smelled so much like mold, I didn't think I could stay. They must have just turned on the AC, and a little while later it was just tolerable. I asked to be moved. The answer was no - nothing available. This room unlike others was on the ground floor. The "slider" was ¼th to ⅓rd the size of the regular rooms and then faced a concrete wall. So no light and no air. Now I was starting to know why it felt like a dank, moldy basement. Luckily both beds have 4 pillows each, since 5 were so smelly there is no way to sleep on them (they need to be discarded). The most odd thing is that the AC never seemed to dry out the room. It just cools. The luggage rack is just below the vent and we noticed the second day everything in the suitcase was WET. It wasn't dripping, but cold, wet air comes out (since it isn't dehumidifying the air). There's another reason this room smells so bad. All of our clothes start out dry and then get wet in the air here - especially near the AC vent. My shoes started growing mold. This has quite ruined what is normally a good experience at this hotel. It's worse that they don't care that I am unhappy.

I must add that the rooms have always been clean, so the service staff does a nice job. Same with the breakfast staff. I want to give them all an excellent and the front staff a poor, so I settled on average.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the view and cost more. They also have the street and bar noise, if it exists. Back...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank DonCapeMayBeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. Currently laying out on their lawn chairs next to the pool over looking the ocean! Location is perfect, close to shopping, restaurants and a mega grocery store. The staff were so friendly upon arrival providing us with an ice cold towel and some kind of fruity drink :) Our room is on the fifth floor and although it isn't an ocean view room we have a side view of the ocean from our huge balcony/deck which also has chairs and a table. The cleaning service is top notch and we return to a beautiful towel animal creation everyday. Wifi and the safe are FREE which isn't the norm at all the hotels.

The breakfast is out of this world with so many options to choose from to include specialty egg dishes ( breakfast quesadillas, omelets, etc.)

Don't have a single complaint about this place. Affordable and top notch service, location and food! This is not the place to go if you're looking for a heavy party hotel. It's the spot to go after the party to relax and recharge

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank NaomiHuffer
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great location, fantastic breakfast, beautiful veranda, friendly staff, clean room. We stayed very inexpensively while diving in Cozumel. I felt very safe not only in the hotel but also walking around town. It was very easy to get a cab to the marina and a simple walk to the store to stock up on some essentials. Fridge in the room was very helpful. I highly recommend and will stay there again if in Cozumel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a more "deluxe" room with a balcony and didn't have any issues with noise...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary S
Grandview, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very friendly staff, great breakfast every morning. We could walk to every thing we needed to do. Pool is small but cool and relaxing. Hotel even let our local friends come in and swim without charging them. Beds were very comfortable and pillows were also. We will stay here again for sure

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JackandDiane2013
Benijofar, Spain
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was here for approx 1 month ,very nice location close to everything in the city there, very good breakfast where you could taylor make your omelet, fried eggs with the cook there, lots of fresh cut fruits and buffet had all you need ! Big nice rooms excellent bathroom with instant hot water, and that is not common ! the weiw is spectacular from reception and pool to the big cruise ships coming to Cozumel island , it is rate 4 star and that is correct it is that !
No restaurant at night, but not needed, you could walk to at least 20 restaurants within 10-15 minutes in San Miguel !
Only thing I missed was access to a beach nearby ! you need to go by taxi or bus to get to a nice beach !

Room Tip: front rows are preferred, i did not get that for several reasons, but very good room anyway
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jens-Ole A
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

we usually go to coz a couple of times per year and typically stay far south or north of town; we are very glad we decided to stay in the heart of town at casa Mexicana; really couldn't have been better: super clean and modern; front desk was very friendly and helpful; house cleaning excellent ( thank you larissa); breakfast each morning was good and on time (had no problem meeting our boat at aldora pier at 7:43am); Vicente, gaspar, and jimmy were always right there to help with luggage or pour a tequila or serve up a cold cerveza sol at the nice bar by the pool; super convenient to all of our favorite restaurants in town; all around, just a great (and unexpected) experience: so much so, that we and 2 other couples are planning to stay there on our return extended stay in September; AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE WITH BREAKFAST INCLUDED! we can't wait to return

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank yaml
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have been going to Cozumel to dive since 2005 but had never stayed at the Casa Mexicana. You know how you get in a rut? I got out of my rut and arranged to stay here through Chili Charters when I arranged to go diving with them in May 2014. Donna of Chili Charters recommended Casa Mexicana so I requested that she make me a reservation. I am glad she did. The hotel is beautiful inside. My room, even though it was on the lower end of the price range, was just perfect. It was super clean, bright, quiet. Had a balcony for sitting, or in my case drying my dive gear. It had a HD Television, but I don't watch television. But if you do, it has one. The AC was super quiet, and quite effective. A compact refrigerator was an extra bonus that I found useful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast that was included in the room cost had a variety of good stuff to eat. I don't eat big breakfasts--especially when I am diving, but if you like a lot of stuff, have at it. Don't forget to tip the wait staff, even though it is "free." A variety of clientele, divers, Europeans, gringos, young, older, tourists from other parts of Mexico, etc. You could hardly ask for a better location, either. For me, I just had to walk across the street to the Aqua Safari pier to get picked up by the boat from Chili Charters. It's on the main drag on the water front, right in town. Easy walking to Mega or Chedraui, and lots of restaurants. Taxi stand right across the street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends