“Excellent Service”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Casa Mexicana is the place to stay if you need great food, very clean room, family type environment and especially great petsonal service.
I have hosted two events there and stayed several times in the last six years and I keep coming back. I don't think I need to search for another place either to stay as a tourist or to host an event.
The General Manager, Lic. Adriana Caballero, is so easy to work with. She'll really work with you to accommodate your needs for your event. We hosted a Ladies event and the service, prices, food, cleanness, etc. were just without comparison.
Because of that previous experience with the hotel we decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary with the entire family there. The personnel of every department whether is maintenance, housekeeping, kitchen, lobby, etc. were incredibly nice and ready to help us whether it was a last minute thing or something already planned.
I highly recommend Casa Mexicana Cozumel whether you go on vacation or to host and event of any kind. We will continue to use this hotel as long as they stay in business.
By the way, they also have two other hotels at a lower price that are also nice and clean and you get the same breakfast buffet included in the room rate.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carla L

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is right next to the cruise terminal. It's in the most touristic area of Cozumel. Our room was facing an abandoned building with some other buildings undergoing construction. Needless to say, we did not have a view or any peace and quiet. Some of the rooms have some weird plumbing issues so that the pipes shake every 10 minutes. They managed to fix it on the last night we were staying there but we lost two nights of sleep. The only upside is that the hotel staff is extremely nice. There is a tiny pool (better than none) and a little pool bar where you can purchase some drinks and water. Overall, I would not stay here again. There are better hotels in Cozumel.

Room Tip: Do not book room 411. That room is loud and has a horrible view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SanDiegoTravelGirl
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Been to Cozumel many times, but this was our first time staying downtown. It was great. This hotel was nice and clean, great buffet breakfast, although it would be nice if they started at 6:30 instead of 7, for the divers to make their 8 AM boats. Handy to walk around and many places to eat. The restaurant at hotel was only open for breakfast and special events. Some events held in the hotel were LOUD. The pool is miniscule and if two kids are in it splashing around, you can't use it. About 6 lounge chairs on second floor by pool. Very small bar, but didn't have chance to order from it. Reception on second floor. They make you wear an arm band during your entire stay to get your breakfast included with your room. Very good waiters are breakfast. Coffee in the lobby at 5:30 AM. Highly recommend, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, above the second floor. 201 was not a good room, as there's a wall besi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My son and I stayed at Casa Mexicana for a dive trip. We splurged on an ocean view room. I thought it was well worth it. We stayed on the top floor (5th) and had an amazing view.

Breakfast was amazing. Full breakfast buffet with fruit, cereals, scrambled eggs, cooked to order omletts, yogurt, juices, coffee, etc. Breakfast is served from 7-11am. Quick breakfast if you're going to catch a dive boat but it worked well for us.

The pier to catch the dive boat was 3 blocks away. A bit of a walk if you're carrying all your equipment but we didn't have any problems.

Casa Mexicana is located right on the main drag in downtown San Miguel so there are scores of great restaurants and bars close by. The staff was helpful and friendly. The place is spotless. They are constantly. The pool is just kind of a wading pool but was nice.

The hotel itself is not air conditioned but the rooms are. Changing money at the front desk was hit and miss so don't just bring $100 bills.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean. Not much more expensive and well worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ericsrx
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This motel was part of a dive package we booked through Blue Magic Diving. For openers, the two coordinated well in handling our payment eccentricities and things got better after that. The greatest tragedies we experienced were an electronic door lock that did not work and an anomalous bar bill. We did not even know they had an active bar. The former was quickly corrected with a new battery, the latter, courteously corrected at checkout. Our room, 5th floor, nothing spectacular view wise, was clean and comfortable with an above average AC unit. The itty bitty fridge worked well and nobody complained that I used the service elevator for my ice runs as it was closer to the machine. Overall, the building was clean and well attended. Wifi was no problem and room cleaning well done. My wife loved the towel animals left behind for that "extra touch." Location was great for walking to restaurants, tourist junk, liquor store and the supermarket. My wife was quite comfortable with the walk to the dive shop, me less so due to multiple knee surgeries. I found the $3 cab ride to be a worthwhile investment after too much finning. Others have commented on the breakfast buffet. I almost never eat breakfast. In my opinion, that buffet rocks, The OJ alone makes you think it was worth the travel time. For the price, hard to beat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SkyMastersHangGlidin
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you want to be close to town this is it. The hotel is clean, breakfast is fantastic, our waiter Jaime took great care to make sure we were happy, and they have a dive package with Tres Pelicanos which is very reasonable. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JGNiebling
Reviewed 25 July 2014

In the past I have given good reviews for this hotel. I chose cheaper rooms - I didn't need the view. These are generally at the back of the building. Sometimes there is a lot of noise there, though, too (the front has the view but also the bar crowd noise, although if there is no cruise ship in town, there might not be much). I have been here about 4 times now. The rooms are generally all the same with a balcony and large sliding doors along the back of the room. They all have that typical Carribean mold smell when the air is off, but usually once the AC is back on that subsides. I have generally found it to be clean. One little annoyance (in a day of electronics) is having only 2 outlets in the room and one is for the only lamp. I find the staff to be friendly and enjoy the breakfast here. The front staff is usually friendly, but I had a rather miserable experience this trip with a very grumpy front desk woman. There was no welcome drink. While that hardly matters, it was something nice in the past to make me feel welcome. So now I really didn't feel welcome (and I am sure this property could care less about any bad reviews or feelings). Then I got to my room. It smelled so much like mold, I didn't think I could stay. They must have just turned on the AC, and a little while later it was just tolerable. I asked to be moved. The answer was no - nothing available. This room unlike others was on the ground floor. The "slider" was ¼th to ⅓rd the size of the regular rooms and then faced a concrete wall. So no light and no air. Now I was starting to know why it felt like a dank, moldy basement. Luckily both beds have 4 pillows each, since 5 were so smelly there is no way to sleep on them (they need to be discarded). The most odd thing is that the AC never seemed to dry out the room. It just cools. The luggage rack is just below the vent and we noticed the second day everything in the suitcase was WET. It wasn't dripping, but cold, wet air comes out (since it isn't dehumidifying the air). There's another reason this room smells so bad. All of our clothes start out dry and then get wet in the air here - especially near the AC vent. My shoes started growing mold. This has quite ruined what is normally a good experience at this hotel. It's worse that they don't care that I am unhappy.

I must add that the rooms have always been clean, so the service staff does a nice job. Same with the breakfast staff. I want to give them all an excellent and the front staff a poor, so I settled on average.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the view and cost more. They also have the street and bar noise, if it exists. Back...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends