1,281 results
All reviewsbreakfast buffetcity viewthe breakfast areasmall poolcentral locationan ocean view roomrecommend casaferry pieromeletmade to order eggsevery morningyogurtdefinitely stay here againocean frontdive triptown squarepool deck
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Casa Mexicana has 20 rooms that face th oceanfront and it is worth it to pay for one of these. Each room has a lovely balcony with 2 chairs and a table overlooking the ocean. It is almost in front of one of the cruise boat docks, so it is fun to see. From your deck, you can see the ocean and boats. There is a street inbetween the ocean and the hotel, but it can not be seen from your deck. The pool is really just for cooling off and it is a great place to sit in a deck chair and watch the ocean and the people below. It is on the busy shopping street, but a couple of blocks away and it is very quiet. the breakfast buffet changes everyday and the staff will make empanadas, omelettes, eggs and waffles for you. There is a juice maker and a blender. Most of the staff is very friendly and went the extra mile. This would be a 5 star hotel if they wuld bump up just a few things. You could get extra towels, but it was difficult. The cleaning service did not refill shampoo, etc.when you were out. but they would give it to you if asked. I always had to ask to have the cushions put out for the deck chairs. The are sooo close to being great and i would still highly recommend them!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pointspeaksandpasses
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I booked a last minute trip to Cozumel and wanted to be close to town in order to enjoy the multitude of restaurants and nightlife. I've done the all inclusive scene down at the south end of the island so wanted to try something different and Casa Mexicana did not disappoint.

If you are a diver they are just about on top of Aqua Safari's shop and the pier is right across the street. Aqua Safari's small boat leaves at 0800 hours so be able to get breakfast at 0700 hours was perfect. The breakfast at CM is second to none and one can go all out with the bacon and eggs, waffles, etc. or just stick to the fruit and yogurt bar which I did. The staff were very prompt and pleasant so don't forget to tip them.

I had a room on a non-smoking floor which was immaculate and the one thing that struck me about this hotel is that they were always cleaning it. Plus when I was there they were painting all the hand railings. It is rare in Mexico to see such good care put into hotel maintenance. The view over the ocean was beautiful and the balcony provided a good place to dry dive gear.

The room was of good size with TV, wireless Internet service, and good AC. Lots of hot water and pressure even on the 4th floor.

I suppose my only complaint and it was minor was that the noise from the second floor breakfast setup could wake one up particularly the alarm on the waffle maker! I was up early anyways but that alarm would certainly awaken me if trying to sleep in.

Staff were very friendly and even more so if one tried to speak Spanish with them. I'll be staying here if diving again, but not too sure about using Aqua Safari. I'll try and post a review about them later. Very pleasant operation but they tend to stick to dives closer to town.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Dunderdiver
Reviewed 16 December 2010

If you want to stay downtown, this hotel is extremely convenient. It's close to everything, and right across the street from a dock for diving. You are minutes away from the tourist area, main town, the Mega grocery store, etc.

The room and hotel were very nice, extremely clean, and it comes with both a small refrigerator in the room and a full breakfast included (any type of eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit, etc - and really good). It also has free internet access in the room, and it was fast!

I personally found the price to be incredibly good, and well worth the money. That said, you can stay for ~$30-40/night cheaper just a few feet away if you are OK not having a full breakfast/internet/etc. So if you are one of those people who just want a cheap room; I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

If you want to wake up, check your email, walk 15 feet and have an incredible breakfast and then go outside and hop on a boat for diving - this hotel would be VERY hard to beat. Extremely, extremely convenient.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I hope they improved their food quality by now.

The first time we stayed there was ok, although the noise level was high, we constantly heard noises from above. The second time, we had a really bad food poisoning from their breakfast buffet which killed almost our entire trip. We didn't eat any dairy, so most likely, it was from the cut fruit we had in the morning. The doctor determined it was the breakfast that hit us, very unlikely from dinner (timewise).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed at Casa Mexicana with a small intimate group of old and new friends for a week of diving and relaxation over Thanksgiving week, and we weren't disappointed by our choice. In fact, when we return to Cozumel (and we will!), we hope to stay again at Casa Mexicana - I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

We had a smoking room (rare in a hotel these days), and all rooms have a decent sized balcony with lounge chairs. The purified water from the tap meant no bouts of "Montezuma's Revenge," and the rooms (we had two comfy double beds) are well-kept by the attentive housekeeping staff. Ours had a small refrigerator (good for freezing bottled water to take to the dive boat) - after dive drink of choice was a cold Dos Equis con limon y sal or two...

The open-air lobby was a delightful place to gather for drinks before dinner, and our little group "owned" the curved balcony that overlooked Ava. Rafael Melgar, the water, and one of the large commercial cruise ship piers for most of the afternoons, where we lunched on crackers and cheeses, sunned ourselves, and enjoyed the warm evening breezes after dinner.

The staff is friendly, polite, and helpful, especially the bar and wait staff (the hotel offers a pretty decent breakfast spread each morning, included in the room price, so you don't have to go diving on an empty stomach). Tip them well...they deserve it.

As for convenience, being downtown San Miguel is a big plus...we were within a few blocks of our dive shop (Dive Paradise - one of the best), and within walking distance of every restaurant (and there are some world-class places down there). Being on the main drag, of course, there is some street noise, and our room faced towards the "rowdy" section (Senor Frog's/Carlos and Charlie's/Hard Rock Cafe, all located right next to one another at in the Punta Langosta shopping mall) so we did hear some rock and roll when the balcony door was open, but that was rare.

Additionally, while the hotel was not crowded for most of the week, the guest population swelled the weekend after Thanksgiving, for the 25th Annual Cozumel IronMan competition, with both competitors and families maxing out the hotel's capacity. Nevertheless, we never felt cramped, and watching the runners from the lobby balcony was a plus.

I'm hesitant to recommend the Casa Mexicana too highly...I'd hate to have to share it with a capacity crowd all the time...although it's not a secret place, it's still a hidden jewel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple