“Generally very happy with Casa Mexicana”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 2 January 2011

There are many excellent review for this hotel already, therefore I'll just add a few observations:
- The entire hotel is kept exceptionally clean.
- Room maintenance is almost as good, although we had a couple of items, including a lock on the sundeck door, that they didn't seem to be able to fix during our 1-week stay.
- Staff are very friendly and gracious, which greatly added to the quality of our stay, with the exception of the front desk staff. The latter became quite a source of amusement for us as they seemed to go out of their way to do the bare minimum - check us in / check us out, and don't ask for more. We couldn't even get them to make change for a 200 peso (~$20) note. Paying with travelers' cheques upon check-out became an ordeal when she first had to phone for permission to accept them, then insisted that I write my full name, address, and I.D. particulars on the back of each cheque. (Language wasn't the barrier as my daughter's Spanish is excellent.)
- This is a waterfront hotel, but not beachfront. If you want sand then this is not the place to be. Excellent for accessing the city on foot - it is just a matter of taking your druthers.
- The lobby and tiny pool saw very little use while we were there.
- The breakfasts were excellent, and we did fail to tip the staff, for which I feel badly. It is easy to overlook them as it is all self-serve and tipping simply never occurred to me. We tipped the housekeepers daily as their diligence seemed to have a greater direct impact on us.
- We did have a problem with theft from the room. Nothing major, but all cash left outside the safe was taken at least once and probably twice. They were thorough enough to take the change from the pocket of my shorts, which were folded in a drawer. On the other hand, there was a considerable quantity of camera and scuba gear left untouched in the room which led us to conclude that they viewed cash as a safe bet - it would be our word against theirs and why shouldn't they have pesos, or even $US, in their pocket?
- While the location is very convenient for divers there is nothing about the hotel that strikes me as particularly diver-friendly. We used the tub to rinse gear and the small sundeck to dry it.
- Our room was at the back of the hotel. It was quiet and met our needs very well. The view of the city was uninspiring but not offensive. The air conditioning worked very well at all times. The tap water was labeled as being potable and we had no problems with it.
- The phone system remains a mystery. With no hotel guide in the room, and no particular help from the front desk staff, we resorted to trying various combinations of prefixes to dial local cell phones and 800 numbers. In the end, we were only partially successful.
- The hotel is an easy walk from the ferry terminal, even if you are dragging bags. Just turn right when you leave the terminal.

Will we go back? Probably not. We have nothing against the establishment but there are too many other places to try. Just as those who've had the beach experience indicate that they want to see the city's attractions, we'll move on to something new.

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank AOW_EANx
Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Just got back from Casa Mexicana. It is a VERY NICE place. The positives: it is very close walking to everything , the breakfasts were wonderful, it is extremely clean, the staff is outstanding as far as service and friendliness, and the building is a very interesting architectural style.
The negatives: it is downtown, for many this is a positive, but it can also be a negative. I prefer more seclusion and less people. The doors slam very easily (from a wind tunnel effect) and they are very loud! The pool is tiny and not once did we see anyone using it (it was a little cold), and last...there must have been the air conditioning units for the whole builidng above our floor and it had quite a loud hum.
I was alittle bummed because when we got there they didn’t have any ocean view rooms left but he checked the computer and said one would be available tomorrow but it would cost $28 extra a day. After checking into our room, we decided not to wait until the next day but to book the room right away and by the time we got down there (not 15 minutes later) supposedly it wasn’t available anymore…..it would have been nice for them to recommend that we book it right away instead of telling us to come back the next day (which we didn’t even do ) since apparently they go fast. All in all, it worked out fine. We ended up switching rooms due to the noisy door slamming and we got room 518. The balcony faces the city, but on the side of the balcony there is a another view which had a beautiful ocean view!
If you’re not into people and cruise ships, I would highly recommend renting a car (I think the company we used was Rent for Less) and take a drive to the other side of the island. There isn’t the hustle and bustle and the water is gorgeous! You can also rent a scooter, but we heard from several people NOT to do that due to the fact that people drive crazy and scooter accidents are quite common.
I also became certified to dive and used Aqua Safari which is practically next door to the hotel. They were great! I have no complaints. Ricardo is an excellent instructor and even let me use his own long wet suit because the shop only had shorty’s (and the water did get cold over time).
We met some wonderful new friends --Sherry, Brenda, Ramene, Eva! Over all it was a GREAT time!

1  Thank C21Realtor
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Casa Mexicana has 20 rooms that face th oceanfront and it is worth it to pay for one of these. Each room has a lovely balcony with 2 chairs and a table overlooking the ocean. It is almost in front of one of the cruise boat docks, so it is fun to see. From your deck, you can see the ocean and boats. There is a street inbetween the ocean and the hotel, but it can not be seen from your deck. The pool is really just for cooling off and it is a great place to sit in a deck chair and watch the ocean and the people below. It is on the busy shopping street, but a couple of blocks away and it is very quiet. the breakfast buffet changes everyday and the staff will make empanadas, omelettes, eggs and waffles for you. There is a juice maker and a blender. Most of the staff is very friendly and went the extra mile. This would be a 5 star hotel if they wuld bump up just a few things. You could get extra towels, but it was difficult. The cleaning service did not refill shampoo, etc.when you were out. but they would give it to you if asked. I always had to ask to have the cushions put out for the deck chairs. The are sooo close to being great and i would still highly recommend them!!!!

1  Thank pointspeaksandpasses
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I booked a last minute trip to Cozumel and wanted to be close to town in order to enjoy the multitude of restaurants and nightlife. I've done the all inclusive scene down at the south end of the island so wanted to try something different and Casa Mexicana did not disappoint.

If you are a diver they are just about on top of Aqua Safari's shop and the pier is right across the street. Aqua Safari's small boat leaves at 0800 hours so be able to get breakfast at 0700 hours was perfect. The breakfast at CM is second to none and one can go all out with the bacon and eggs, waffles, etc. or just stick to the fruit and yogurt bar which I did. The staff were very prompt and pleasant so don't forget to tip them.

I had a room on a non-smoking floor which was immaculate and the one thing that struck me about this hotel is that they were always cleaning it. Plus when I was there they were painting all the hand railings. It is rare in Mexico to see such good care put into hotel maintenance. The view over the ocean was beautiful and the balcony provided a good place to dry dive gear.

The room was of good size with TV, wireless Internet service, and good AC. Lots of hot water and pressure even on the 4th floor.

I suppose my only complaint and it was minor was that the noise from the second floor breakfast setup could wake one up particularly the alarm on the waffle maker! I was up early anyways but that alarm would certainly awaken me if trying to sleep in.

Staff were very friendly and even more so if one tried to speak Spanish with them. I'll be staying here if diving again, but not too sure about using Aqua Safari. I'll try and post a review about them later. Very pleasant operation but they tend to stick to dives closer to town.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Dunderdiver
Reviewed 16 December 2010

If you want to stay downtown, this hotel is extremely convenient. It's close to everything, and right across the street from a dock for diving. You are minutes away from the tourist area, main town, the Mega grocery store, etc.

The room and hotel were very nice, extremely clean, and it comes with both a small refrigerator in the room and a full breakfast included (any type of eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit, etc - and really good). It also has free internet access in the room, and it was fast!

I personally found the price to be incredibly good, and well worth the money. That said, you can stay for ~$30-40/night cheaper just a few feet away if you are OK not having a full breakfast/internet/etc. So if you are one of those people who just want a cheap room; I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

If you want to wake up, check your email, walk 15 feet and have an incredible breakfast and then go outside and hop on a boat for diving - this hotel would be VERY hard to beat. Extremely, extremely convenient.

Reviewed 15 December 2010

I hope they improved their food quality by now.

The first time we stayed there was ok, although the noise level was high, we constantly heard noises from above. The second time, we had a really bad food poisoning from their breakfast buffet which killed almost our entire trip. We didn't eat any dairy, so most likely, it was from the cut fruit we had in the morning. The doctor determined it was the breakfast that hit us, very unlikely from dinner (timewise).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2010

We stayed at Casa Mexicana with a small intimate group of old and new friends for a week of diving and relaxation over Thanksgiving week, and we weren't disappointed by our choice. In fact, when we return to Cozumel (and we will!), we hope to stay again at Casa Mexicana - I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

We had a smoking room (rare in a hotel these days), and all rooms have a decent sized balcony with lounge chairs. The purified water from the tap meant no bouts of "Montezuma's Revenge," and the rooms (we had two comfy double beds) are well-kept by the attentive housekeeping staff. Ours had a small refrigerator (good for freezing bottled water to take to the dive boat) - after dive drink of choice was a cold Dos Equis con limon y sal or two...

The open-air lobby was a delightful place to gather for drinks before dinner, and our little group "owned" the curved balcony that overlooked Ava. Rafael Melgar, the water, and one of the large commercial cruise ship piers for most of the afternoons, where we lunched on crackers and cheeses, sunned ourselves, and enjoyed the warm evening breezes after dinner.

The staff is friendly, polite, and helpful, especially the bar and wait staff (the hotel offers a pretty decent breakfast spread each morning, included in the room price, so you don't have to go diving on an empty stomach). Tip them well...they deserve it.

As for convenience, being downtown San Miguel is a big plus...we were within a few blocks of our dive shop (Dive Paradise - one of the best), and within walking distance of every restaurant (and there are some world-class places down there). Being on the main drag, of course, there is some street noise, and our room faced towards the "rowdy" section (Senor Frog's/Carlos and Charlie's/Hard Rock Cafe, all located right next to one another at in the Punta Langosta shopping mall) so we did hear some rock and roll when the balcony door was open, but that was rare.

Additionally, while the hotel was not crowded for most of the week, the guest population swelled the weekend after Thanksgiving, for the 25th Annual Cozumel IronMan competition, with both competitors and families maxing out the hotel's capacity. Nevertheless, we never felt cramped, and watching the runners from the lobby balcony was a plus.

I'm hesitant to recommend the Casa Mexicana too highly...I'd hate to have to share it with a capacity crowd all the time...although it's not a secret place, it's still a hidden jewel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple