“A lovely place to stay”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and me first had a reservation with a dive resort, but since they had some electrical difficulties, they booked us with Elcid. When we got there, we got offered a drink and people on front desk were pretty nice, friendly and helpful. Even once I had a problem with my ear, they helped me , even called the hospital and talked to them since we can't speak Spanish at all. The room was clean and we had an ocean view but we were on a floor which trees kind of blocked the view. Still I have no complains. The place has a lovely pool area and hot tub with an amazing ocean view next to a bar. From inside the hot tub you can order and receive your drinks. They also have a happy hour which 2 for one drinks are served. My favorite drink there was Mojitos . The bar staff were real cool and laid back . They even helped us to find a lovely salsa club in downtown. But the food quality is not that great and it is a little bit overpriced.
The hotel also had a man-made beach. It is cute and tiny and has an isolated area from ocean which is shallow and made by rocks.It also is next to a rock fountain and has an ocean view.
We still did scuba diving with the other hotel dive shop. So I don't really know anything about the dive shop.
Overall it was such a blast and I loved the place.

Room Tip: Get rooms in upper floors so trees don't block your ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yaldana
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Guest:
On behalf of el Cid la Ceiba hotel, Thank you very much for share the experience you had at our property. It is very satisfactory for us to know that you enjoy our resort, facilities, food and the great services of our staff.
All our guest comments make us to improve our services in all aspects for this reason thank you again and hoping to welcome you back very soon.

Andrés Maillard

Write a ReviewReviews (1,939)

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Having used Trip Advisor a ton for the 2 trips my husband and I have taken recently I now feel like I should write reviews when I normally wouldn't. I don't consider either myself or my husband as "complainers" or people with extremely high expectations...so with that being said I'll start the review.

Upon arrival into Cozumel we were unsure as to how we would get to the resort. We knew to avoid the time share people but weren't quite sure about the shared van situation either so we just walked outside. It just so happened that there was a van there from the El Cid picking up "members" so we asked how do we get on this van because we were staying there too and the guy didn't even acknowledge us. However, the snotty "member" told us she was a "member" and they arranged her transportation for her. Well so be it then, I mean how dare us common folk think to ask to get on a van going to where we are going. Either way we walked back inside figured out the van situation and we were off. No big deal.

Upon arrival at the hotel I was under the assumption since it was early our room would not be ready, however I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was ready. Awesome!!! While the check in process was smooth....nothing was really explained to us. I can't say the staff wasn't accommodating because we really didn't ask for anything but it is clear this hotel is centered around and caters to it's "members". When we got to our room and this is my fault for not knowing what I booked and I wasn't sure so I didn't ask. According to expedia I booked a Deluxe Garden View room...we didn't care about the view because we didn't plan to be in the room much anyway, but I was thinking it should have had a kitchenette or at least a small frig but it didn't. Looking back now at what I booked I believe we should have had this. Oh well, my fault for not speaking up. However, they did give me a king size bed that I asked for.

As far as the room, it was standard. Extremely noisy from the guests around us and again this is not the hotel's fault. The people above us were constantly dragging something across the floor and the people on the same floor as us were constantly slamming doors.....at all hours. It seemed like we were one of the younger couples there being in our 30's so I would have thought people may have been a tad more considerate in regards to the noise they made. Guess not.

We did have a problem with our air conditioner and water leaking from the ceiling in our bathroom which we did call them for and they were very prompt in coming to the room. Only to clean up the ice the AC was blowing on to our floor and bed and wipe up the water on the floor in the bathroom. Our AC worked but it would run then shut off then run and then shut off, etc. We probably should have complained about this and asked for a different room but we didn't because we were only sleeping there.

The food and I realize each person has their own taste but for us the food was dreadful. Our dinner the first night wasn't even edible which made us not want to try it again. And my husband is about as not picky as they come. We chose the All Inclusive route but would not do it again....no matter where we stayed in Cozumel as there are so many good places to eat and for alot cheaper than you would get at the hotel. The breakfast suited me just fine because the fresh fruit was very good, omelette's made to order, etc. Wasn't aware they had pancakes until the last day which would have made my husband happier the first 4 days. I realize it's Mexico but there weren't many traditional breakfast items to choose from on several days. The pizza place on site that was supposed to be good was never open so I don't know what was up with that. The restaurant was closed one night for a BBQ which I thought how do you mess that up, but I had the 1/2 chicken and it came all mangled with a ton of grissly fat which grossed me out so naturally I couldn't eat it. When you arrive and chose the AI route you are given an arm band but each time you ate you had to wait and sign a check/receipt. Which wouldn't have been a problem if the check was brought promptly when asked for. AI is AI to me...unless you get something with a surcharge why can't you just eat and leave? IDK.

Nothing I'm saying made our experience at El Cid horrible. We are the type of people who like to try something new each time and learn from what we do. Would I stay at El Cid again....idk maybe....but I wouldn't do the all inclusive and I'd make sure we got the room we reserved. The area is convenient and we actually liked the ships at the dock as they are impressive to look at and watch come in and go out. All in all, this resort isn't for our age category and I'm sure I'll offend a few but it was a slightly stuffy atmosphere and just not for us unless we got the same kind of deal for the trip we did this time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jstimm13

Dear Guest:
I would like you to know how very sorry we are to hear that you had a disappointing vacation, and as you said each person has their own taste.
We work very hard to provide the best service to each of our customers and I’m sincerely sorry to read that you did not experience this. To many miscommunication i see, we do have pancakes every day and the pizza place (Trattoria di Salvatore) is open from saturday to thursday some times people order pizzas from there and they eat it at the rerstaurant and it seems to be closed because no body is eating there but the place is open, but again it was our fail for not inform you this, please acceopt my apologies,

Sincerely

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We had the best time at the El Cid La Cieba all inclusive hotel! We checked in 1-23 checked out 1-27--the service was fabulous! The hotel itself was spotless-- the food wonderful, fresh and tasty-- lots of choices.
The only issue with La Cieba are the cruise ships, usually 4 of them (the large ones--6,000 people) that park at the docks in front of the hotel. If you have a room in the tower part of the hotel, your view is blocked. I understand the locals need the boost in the economy but!
Again, I cannot stress how wonderful the hotel, the staff and the food was--- if you aren't into the scenery... It's a wonderful choice!

Room Tip: The tower, room 1233 is perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bacaak1
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest Thank you for your nice review, i will make sure to let the staff know your thoughts and hope to see you son again at this wonderful island.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had been to Cozumel several times on cruise ship visits and a couple times spent the day at La Ceiba and had a great time, so we finally decided to do a destination trip to the hotel. Everything was great. From the champagne greeting at check in, to the 12th floor suite, to the overall coziness of this smaller "resort"....we loved it.

Brian P

Room Tip: I took advice from others on Trip Advisor and they were spot on....ask for the tower, 5th floor or h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Guest:
Thanks for your review we are so glad to read that you had a great time on your past visit to El Cid La Ceiba Hotel.
We hope to see you son here at your home away from home.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Booked using Wyndham points. Great SAFE location, cruise ships, snorkeling in crystal clear water, beach chairs, Clean rooms and Great, Friendly Staff. Shopping and restaurants (Ernesto's breakfast, Paprika BLD) within walking distance. Excellent food La Chopa El Cid restaurant, did not do all inclusive except last day. Great Staff; Maria front desk, maid Marcellina, Benicio waiter. Activities, energetic Casper and Gustavo highlight snorkel tour El Cid to reef 1000s of fish. Lots of fish closer to El Cid. Dive boats pick up here. 80 peso Taxi ride to town. Rent car 1day enough to see pretty island. Sunday no cruise ships. We will Return!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest:
Thank you for this amazing review about our property, clean rooms , great staff and facilities and the most important for everyone we have a safe location.
I will share this with all our staff and hoping to welcome you back very soon and thank you for this marvelous comment.

general Manager

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We just had a fabulous day at El Cid. Our group of about 40 worked through Roberto in Catering. He set up the Lagoon as a private party area for us. We arrived at 10 o'clock and left around 4 p.m. We had a terrific buffet lunch of grilled chicken, ribs, fish and veggies, salad, and desserts to die for! Open bar and waiters that anticipated our every want! We had lounge chairs and tables both in the sun and the shade. Our friends' son had his wedding and reception here a year earlier and had highly recommended it! They didn't disappoint!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Visitors:

We want to thank you for choosing our property to spent this special day with us. And we feel very satisfied to read that you had a fabulous time and you liked our variety buffet lunch.
Hoping to have you back soon for another great time.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We spent a week in Cozumel at the El Cid La Ceiba Resort. We are owners of vacation club points with El Cid, that can be used with El Cid resorts as well as RCI and Wyndham. For a January trip, being from PA, we wanted a warm place. We decided to try Cozumel and use our points. Cozumel is a small island and is known primarily for it's beautiful waters, scuba diving and snorkeling. El Cid La Ceiba Beach was nice. It was clean. The staff responded to our problems promptly- leaking from shower/bath above ours into our shower bath , small bugs in some cabinets in kitchen area, and broken DVD player in the room. There was a guy who said he was a manager, but we think his job was actually to try to sell members more vacation club points, or recruit new buyers...anyway, based on our experience at other resorts, he didn't know the simple amenities of this property very well. Many places have a few shelves with games or books or DVDs to check out, -when I went to the desk to ask, before the woman at the desk could answer, he and a fellow sales guy said I'd need to go to Blockbuster 2or 3 miles up the road to get a DVD. They walked away and the woman at the desk said we DO have some DVDs back here. VERY FEW, but I chose one.
We arrived on a Saturday in a light rain, half of Sunday was nice, then started the rain and high winds. Now the resort is certainly NOT responsible for the weather, but, it would've been nice if they had some plan of activities to do inside the lobby or in restaurant, as it was rarely crowded.We had Sunday afternoon through Tuesday of high winds and heavy rains. We took a cab into the town in the evenings, which is quaint, and ate at some good restaurants. There were some good restaurants in Cozumel, The Mission Restaurant (we ate at 2 locations and the menu was the same and both were very good), Guido's Italian Restaurant was good, and Coconuts (which is at the end of the island and sits up high overlooking the ocean) which had Mexican food plus other things. That being said, there is an all inclusive option at El Cid La Ceiba Beach, and their food was very good and the restaurant staff very nice. We just like to see what's around the area. On Wednesday and Thursday there was still rain, but it would stop and start. So we rented a car to drive around and get a flavor for the area. Thursday evening after dinner we came back to the hotel to find they were playing the Pirates of the Caribbean in the lobby and offered popcorn. We watched and enjoyed it. That was an easy activity for staff, but it was the first activity in 5 days of rain, other than having a ping pong table in the lobby, that was available. They have a small room with some exercise equipment, not all in good condition (only 4 or 5 pieces of equipment and free weights) . The island is very flat so if the weather was amenable, walking and running along the sidewalks would be very nice. A number of Cruise ships dock next to this property so you can watch those pulling in and out daily. Our housekeeper was lovely, They clean very thoroughly, make cute little creatures with the towels, and are friendly. There are plenty of pillow choices on the bed or that you can request. If you like a VERY firm bed, you will be comfortable here. The beds were extremely firm in both rooms, a king bed and 2 queen beds. There are some nice pools on the property. there is a spa which we didn't use either. We were told that to have laundry done at the hotel is expensive so we found a laundrymat down the road, and the lady does the laundry, folds it, and you pick it up a few hours later. She did a great job and was very reasonable.
We had a beautiful last full day ! Approximately 80 degrees, went to a beach to snorkle and swim with the dolphins!! Amazing!! That spot was called Chankanaab! Worth the time to go spend the day. All in all, I'd rate El Cid La Ceiba as average, better for adults or older families, no play ground for kids and if weather is bad, you are stuck in your room! If you can take a last minute trip, check the weather , and you fish, snorkel or scuba dive, it will satisfy all your needs as a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your recent stay and for taking the time to leave a review for us. We truly appreciate our guest's feedback.
I was happy to hear that your stay was so pleasant, and that you had the opportunity to really enjoy the facilities and amenities that we offer. It was our honor to serve you, and we appreciate your recommendation for the followers of Trip Advisor. Also we already took notes on details you had mentioned in order to fix and change.
We definitely look forward to serving you again next year, and pamper yourself one more time on this your home away of home .