“Love this place!”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here last week after having stayed just next door at the Park Royal three times within the last year. We decided to give it a try after talking with some people who had stayed at the El Cid for several weeks, then switched to the Park Royal.
First, let me say we are both employed shoreside in the cruise industry so we loved watching the ships coming in and out on a daily practically in your front yard. If you are looking for an unobstructed view of the ocean, this place is NOT for you. Crew and ship guests also frequent this resort by purchasing day passes. This did not overcrowd the resort.

This resort is an older hotel but very, very clean. We stayed in the tower on the 9th floor and had an incredible view, along with a king size bed. If you travel to Cozumel often, you know that king size beds are not easy to come by. Also had a huge bathtub with extremely hot water. Perfect! I would say the average age of guests staying at this hotel is 55 and older, which is fine with us. Nice pool and beach area with plenty of lounge chairs. Steps that you can walk down to get into the ocean.

I will say that the best part of this resort is the FOOD! We purchased the elite AI plan. If you stay 5 nights or longer, this means you can order ANYTHING off of the menu! Yes, I said menu. The only buffet is served at breakfast, although you can order off of a breakfast menu as well. This includes, shrimp, steak, lobster and premium beverages, including bottles of wine. We only stayed four nights so the lobster was not included. However, we did enjoy wonderful grilled NY strips the night of the beach BBQ and great other steaks and shrimp at almost every other meal. We did the elite plan because we did not want to be limited on our menu selections, which would be just chicken and fish. The shrimp empanadas appetizer on the dinner menu was sooo good! The fajitas, guacamole and pico di gallo were perfect as well. The servers on the beach were fantastic! However, the servers in the restaurant could use improvement. I'm not sure if this was because they were short-handed. We did have several meals were the service was okay, but for the most part it was slow. This really didn't affect us, as we were on vacation and not in a hurry. We usually eat out several times during our visits to Cozumel but NOT this time! The food was just too good to miss here at the resort.

You are a 30-mt walk to town, which is perfect, as we walked into town each morning to walk off all of the f & b we consumed.
Free wi-fi in public areas is also a plus, as at the Park Royal they charge for the wi-fi.

We will definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels in the tower have the best views.
2  Thank JamiF346
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest:
We want to thank you for sharing this wonderful Words, It was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thanks for confirm that our food is one the best from the area, all of this can’t be possible without the excellent job from our staff. Our target is to meet your travel expectations and make you feel at home away from home.

Looking forward to welcome you back again on this beautiful paradise.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We paid for a jr. suite with an in room jacuzzi and ocean view. Upon check in they did not have our suite. They gave us the only room they had which was a 3 room suite. The problem was the 3 rooms were not connected...they were 3 separate room with no connecting doors. No jacuzzi and the ocean view was blocked by a tree and the restaurant room. It was the same as having a standard room since the additional "2 rooms" as part of the "suite" were useless to us. They refused to refund any money, gave us incorrect information about the ferry departure time and then charged $2 to call the taxi company for us.

Room Tip: Do not expect anything out of the management of this property. Morning front desk personnel should...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest.
On behalf of Hotel El Cid La ceiba we want to thank you for your recent review, and for let us know our remarks to your experience, I'm glad to receive a feedback from our customers whether there positive or negative as it helps us to improve our service and strengthen our areas.

It surprise me to read that we did not we were unable to meet your expectations in our Hotel, I took note of each one of your inconvenience to make them reach each one of the departments involved and take the necessary measures to avoid this from happening again.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon and change your perspective.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is our 6th time at La Ceiba. All staff are extremely friendly, helpful and professional, particularly the folks at the front desk. Food and drinks are excellent---much improved over last year. Location is on the water with a very nice lounging beach and excellent snorkeling. Water access is by stairs. Rooms are spotless and in excellent shape. Most have great views of the ocean. The all inclusive plan is a great value. For us, best location and value in Cozumel.

Room Tip: Better view with the higher rooms.

Dear Guest:

On behalf of El Cid la Ceiba staff, I want to thank you for this amazing review and for choosing for the 6th occasion our beautiful property for vacationing.

It’s pleasant to read that you were able to enjoy all of our services food, drinks , snorkeling, locations , views of the ocean and the most important feature for us are the services of our employees these makes the difference and the better value of our property.

Thank you again and we ready to welcome you back on your 7th, visit with arms wide open.

General Manager.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My family enjoyed a pleasand week at La Ceiba on Cozumel. It is a well-run and fairly typical older time share hotel and very comfortable and if this were all I had to say, I would not be writing this review. The "fairly typical" ended when we entered the restaurant. In one of our sidetrips, I had heard about a local Mayan egg dish called "huevos motulenos(with a tilda)" and I asked one of the staff who had been present at most of our meals if the kitchen could make this for me. He replied that he was sure that it could be done and 15 minutes later we had three plates of the most wonderful breakfast ever. The dining room staff were all very gracious, the iced tea fresh and located right on the waterfront - great vacation. PS: I do not recommend the "90 minute tour" unless you are planning to buy or you enjoy being treated poorly. Skip the tour and enjoy the dining.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gerald T

Dear Guest:

First at all I would like to thank you for sharing your valued comments.
It is very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed a pleasant week at our property.
Hoping to welcome you back again very soon

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Conveniently located, close to a lot of activites.
The Building it self needs some updating. The staff was very courteous and service was great, the restaurant was a great value and acces to snorkelling was pretty good.
Would definetly return but woould take a higher level room and perhaps in the north end of the building.

Room Tip: lower level rooms seemed to have a huidity to sewer type smell air conditioning units were old and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JacoboR
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear guest thanks for your review, please contact me for your next visit for any further requests.
have a nice week end.

cordially
General Manager.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My girlfriend and I took a well needed vacation from the cold to Cozumel. We are both well experienced travelers and have recently become fans of the all-inclusive Mexican and Caribbean hotel stays.

Before I start with negatives I want to discuss the positives of the hotel. First of all, the food is incredible. My girlfriend and I had a fantastic meal every time. We particularly loved the steak tacos. Second, the snorkeling and the water was amazing. The hotel provides free snorkeling 1 hour/day for hotel visitors. Third, many of the staff were accommodating and helpful. Our favorite was Amilcar, who always greeted us by name and had a smile on his face.

We chose the El Cid La Cieba Beach Hotel due to its wonderful reviews on this site, but there were a number of issues that were not mentioned in other reviews. First off, the hotel consists of people with a median age of 65. Because of this, even though there is an activity schedule, there are no activities going on at all during the day. Second, a majority of the staff are obsessed with tips, and if they don't get one every time they serve you, there is a good chance they won't come back for a while (remember we were all-inclusive visitors). I tipped a number of times but all-inclusive is supposed to include gratuity. Third, the hotel completely shuts down at 10:30 PM. Literally, there is no one working other than one woman at the front desk. As such, you cannot get a drink or food past 10:30, which is unlike every other all-inclusive hotel I've stayed. I would understand closing at 1 or 2 am, but 10:30?

In addition to these basic more general issues, we had some specific problems, as well. When we checked in, we were given a room on the bottom floor of the tower. This floor has people walking by your room at all times during the day. Because we wanted privacy, we asked for a room change from the bottom floor to anywhere else. The front desk refused to give us a free change and required us to pay 20$ extra per night to do any move. Although this isn't a lot of money, we found it unfair, but paid for the 'upgrade'--which included a downgrade from a king to a queen size bed.

Next, the guest services guy gave us bad information about an out of hotel excursion. Since Cozumel is on the bay it doesn't really have a traditional beach. We were told by some timeshare owners that there is a beach about 10 miles away that is nice and worth going to. We took their advice but asked the guest services guy for his opinion. He pointed us to a particular beach a little further away but was worth it, in his opinion. Unfortunately, he gave us incorrect information about the beach. It was double the price to get a cab there (he told us 10$ each way and it cost us $55 total). He also claimed it had inflatable trampolines, jet skis, parasailing....essentially a playground for adults. We get there and there is literally nothing to do. We did however enjoy the beach, but wish we knew what to truly expect.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselves at the El Cid. However, I would come back to Cozumel and stay somewhere else. If you are older and want no activities and go to bed by 10:30, then this hotel is perfect for you. However if you are young I recommend heading somewhere else.

3  Thank Ryguy1466

Dear Guest thanks for sharing your experience at our hotel, i am glad to read that you enjoyed the food and had a good service from our employees, you are right about our guests we had a 55 years old average age so we try to keep a balance between the Young guests and the older guests that we host, that is why we have those scheddules and let me check because our bar closes at 11:00 pm not 10:30 pm but let me see what happened.
Thanks again.
Sincerelly

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I traded my timeshare unit for a 2-bedroom one at the La Ceiba Resort for the first week of January, 2014. I called about 10 days before our arrival and Viviane was extremely helpful, courteous and competent. During our stay, any of the staff that we interacted with were excellent from the cleaning staff to the front desk. We were fortunate enough to have an ocean view suite with 2 balconies big enough for a table and chairs.The murphy bed in the living room is certainly a lot more convenient than a sofa bed. It just takes seconds to open and close. The property is small, but very neat and clean. There was good snorkeling right in front of the hotel with a couple of different access areas. I enjoyed the cruise ships coming and going and were no problem at all for us. I would certainly return to this resort given the chance to do so.

Room Tip: My choice for a location in this resort is in the 3-story building facing the ocean. You don't...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Debby R
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for this great comments about our Hotel El Cid La Ceiba and for the time you took to write it.
Ii is really proud for us to read that you had a great experience and our location, food and rooms are satisfied your expectations.
Thank you again and hoping to welcome you back very soon.

Cordially Yours