“Very pleasant surprise”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at El Cid using our Wyndham (through RCI) timeshare points. We'd heard that this place was "not a 5-star hotel" so maybe our expectations were appropriately set. That said, our room, while small, was adequate. We stayed in the older portion of the hotel. The bathroom was in need of serious updating (shower head, sink had no plug). But we spent very little time at the hotel itself--why would you in Cozumel? And the setting right on the water was awesome. The entire staff was so very friendly and service-oriented, including everyone in the restaurant. We also had a problem with our reservations (our fault) and the hotel kindly put us up in the newer part of the hotel for 1 night at a very reasonable rate. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the tower (newer side) if you want a larger, newer room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill S
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest:
On behalf of El Cid la Ceiba Hotel I would like to thank you for this kind review and we are so proud to read that we meet your expectation because is our principal goal.
Again thank you and hoping to welcome you back soon at this your home away of home.
Andres Maillard

Write a ReviewReviews (1,967)

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I was suppose to be in Mexico for a week. I paid for my room three months in advance. I paid for a suite. When I got to el cid, they Gave my room away and I was stuck in a studio room. They told me to come back up to the receptionist desk the following day and REMIND them that I paid for a suite. The next two days I got the same story. Then the receptionist would continue to tell me the supervisor would contact me. The last day of the trip I asked for my credit for the room. They refused to give it to me and said that the supervisor was not there. I Argued with them until I could not argue anymore or I would have missed my plane. It's been two weeks and I am still waiting for my refund of two hundred dollars.
While I stayed in my studio room, I encountered roaches scurrying in my bathroom and stains on my comforter. The ceiling is composed of bamboo so the roaches quickly escaped. The air conditioner made me very sick. My room smelled like mold the whole time I was there. I ended up at the doctor and prescribed four different medications when I came back to the states due to the poor air quality in my room.
This trip made me miss home and I could not wait to go home. There is something wrong with me wanting to go home on my vacation.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pinkangel45625

Dear guest:
i apologize for the bad experoence you had at our hotel i will look deeply about this situation and will contact you as son as i have a solution for your refound.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed here many times before. We've always enjoyed our visits but this time we saw something we've never seen before. The hotel is much improved in every area possible. Food, cleanliness of the hotel, friendliness of the staff and general overall better service.

I'd like to give particular recognition to Bibiana at the front desk. She is a gem! Also Paulino and William in the restaurant. Both are excellent and so friendly. Thank you to all of you!

We had a terrific week. The maids are perfect. They look so neat and clean and are such hard workers. Our room was spotless!

We will return! Hopefully very soon. This hotel feels like home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soho204

Dear guest:
Thanks for your words and for noting all the changes it is on of our goals to improve and update every área at any chance that we have.
take care and hope to see you again son.

Sincerely

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The place is a little outdated, looks like it was built in the 70's and really hasn't been updated since. Get rid of the swamp coolers in the rooms and get HVAC. It makes the rooms misrable. there is already way too much humidity in souther Mexico, it just makes it worse. Staff is nice, the welcoming is really nice. I would say the service is awesome. The hotel its self needs renovated. The beach area is great, they had an awesome DJ/entertainer down there playing music and he was pretty hilarious. The snorkeling right out of the hotel is pretty cool. Sadly, I think next time I'd stay somewhere with updated rooms (and ac) and go there to hang out and get drinks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stut8500

Dear Guest :
Thank you for sharing this review, we are working in some of the details you mentioned and hopefully we will finish with those topics.
Thanks for the recognition to our staff that is the heart of this hotel and they work hard and nice for all our guest.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We just returned from a 26 night stay at El Cid with friends and we loved it. From the time we arrived (champagne welcome) to the time we left we were made to feel special.
We stayed on the ground floor in the low rise building in a studio overlooking the beach and we loved our room. Our friends had a room in the tower and they were just as happy.
We booked our all inclusive trip through expedia and were not involved with time share at all. We have so much positive to say about so many people so I will start with the charming and artistic Roberto Barrientos, Roberto you are a gem, the quality and variety of food offered is excellent, I think between us we tried everything on the menu and loved it all, it was difficult dining anywhere else because the food is so good at El Cid. The Mexican BBQ on the beach, the Valentine’s dinner on the pool deck, the Mexican Fiesta on the pool deck were all wonderful and appreciated, we cannot believe the work and decorating you and your staff put in for each event. Roberto you also went out of your way to drop by to say hello and ask if we were enjoying ourselves and the special treats of chocolate covered strawberries and beautiful fruit trays were truly appreciated, you do a fantastic job and thank you for making our trip so special.
Our room was immaculate every day thanks to our wonderful housekeeper Amelia and we looked forward to what towel arrangements would be left on the bed, we can’t believe how hard she works. All the restaurant staff were so welcoming and friendly including the chefs, captains, waiters and bartenders. A special thank you to the waiters Roberto, Eli (Owl), Avilcar (James Bond), Jose, Luis and William. We spent a lot of time on the beach and got to know the wonderful Gabriella our bracelet & braid lady, we brought home some beautiful bracelets. Miguel the lifeguard was very friendly too.
Last but not least we spent a lot of time with the Activities Staff, Casper and Gustavo. These two guys work morning noon and night and really made our vacation special. The music they played always put us in a festive mood and some of the fun activities they organized that we participated in were: beach volleyball, pool volleyball, chess, bingo for the gringo, karaoke, croquet tournament, mexican bocce ball, spanish lessons, cooking classes, mexican dart tournament, movie night on the pool deck and ping pong. On Mexican Fiesta night Casper was the host for the Mexican Dance Show on the pool deck and it was a fabulous show with audience participation featuring different Mexican dances with beautiful costumes, it was a very special night and we all loved the show. Casper & Gustavo you are two great guys with great personalities and we miss you both (we will always remember the song Patches because of you Casper). We thank you both for the wonderful memories and making our trip so special and we look forward to returning one day.
Free Wi-Fi in public places was appreciated.
Enjoyed watching the cruise ships arriving and leaving.
The snorkelling in front of El Cid is amazing.

Marie & Bob from Canada

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank MarieC492
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Guest:
On behalf of el cid la ceiba hotel I would like to thank you for this marvelous comments about our amazing services and staff.
We really appreciate every single words you share with trip advisor and we look forward to welcome you back on this your specially home away of home for another terrific staying.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Returned home from El Cid 2 days ago and we had the best vacation of our lives. Absolutely all staff were welcoming, eager-to-please and by the end of our 10 day stay we truly felt like family. We loved the intimacy of the resort, ie - the smaller size - as well as the fact that the average age of clientele was about 55 yrs, perfect for us. Even the music being played outside catered to what we enjoy. The food is outrageously delicious and changes all of the time. The drinks are NOT watered down so drink accordingly! It is an $8.00 cab ride to town, but we didn't feel the need to go more than once as we had everything we needed right at El Cid. We were provided with a 12th floor room and a magnificent view; we thoroughly enjoyed watching the cruise ships arrive and depart every day (except Sundays), and when the ship crew and guests spent time at El Cid we met a lot more lovely people. This was not invasive at all, and there were always plenty of beach lounges to go around. The true gift of spending time at El Cid is meeting the staff, who were solely responsible for making our stay the best ever - amazing servers and staff (I only wish I could remember everyone): bonita Miss Vicky, precious Amilcar, Paul ("Elvis Presley"), Luis, Ernesto, Fausto, Jorge, shy Christine, handsome Jose, Patricio (maintenance), Lara our housekeeper, Miguel (bartender) and so many others. The snorkelling was wonderful and the lifeguard was attentive and always made sure to stop and chat (we also had the pleasure of meeting his lovely wife and 2 little boys!). Gustavo and Casper (Activities) were a riot and so much fun to be around. Live music during dinner was a major plus, Mexican Fiesta night with the wonderful dancers and costumes was superb. We never tired of the food - there wasn't one thing that was less than delicious and I even tried octopus for the first time. The store right out front, to the left of the lobby, was great and the shopkeepers were very helpful and were truly concerned when my husband, a diabetic, sustained a pretty bad scrape on his knee. They were able to gather together peroxide and dressing supplies for us. The taxi drivers out front were helpful and not pushy. Of course there has to be at least 1 fly in the ointment and that is the "Vacation Club" pressure. We had no sooner arrived and checked in, and were led to a desk and handed glasses of champagne, a Mayan Calendar and a gift bag. We were exhausted and just wanted to get to our rooms. We were immediately asked about activities we wanted to check out and were told that these "greeters" could give us a substantial discount. We had planned to do an island tour and the Pirate Ship dinner, and ended up leaving a $20.00 deposit with a promise to meet again in 2 days. We met up with "David" as planned and it was only then, after I asked, that he admitted the discounts were only available if we took part in a 90 minute Vacation Club presentation. I was VERY firm in telling him that we were NOT interested. My $20.00 was refunded. The following Monday we were invited to a "Welcome Party" up in the meeting room and, lo and behold, there stood David and this turned out to be another Vacation Club promo. At this point I was livid and vowed not to come back to El Cid again. Fortunately, the other staff made up for David's arrogance but do yourselves a favor and don't accept the gifts and champagne, don't sit down with these people when you are tired and vulnerable and have just traveled a long way from home. All in all, an amazing trip to a beautiful island with the most welcoming people in the world.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MuskokaSteph

Dear Guest:
On behalf of el cid la ceiba staff I would like to thank you for this amazing review about your recent staying at our hotel.
Thank for sharing this review and for explain to the lectors of trip advisor that our property and our island has a lot of good things to offer to each visitor and do enjoyable vacations. I will share this with all my team and hoping to welcome you back soon for another amazing vacations.

.Cordially

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We chose El Cid because it was reasonably priced, close to town, and our dive company could pick us up at the dock in front. We booked with Booking.com, and I made an error in our numbers, so when we showed up they had to adjust the room assignment to accommodate our friend traveling with us. The front desk staff was very gracious, showing us both rooms they thought might work. The higher room had a great view, but not really enough room for us, so they put us in a two room suite on the ground floor with two small walk out balconies. Lots of room! and although we were right next to the wood burning pizza oven ( a plus when ordering pizza), we truly enjoyed the room. Food was quite good, service was pleasant and friendly, and the house sparkling wine was quite good too! The outstanding dive company Buena Ventura, picked us right off the dock in front - so wonderful, and of course amazing diving.
We will definitely return when we plan a trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends