“Divers Hotel”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Hotel management and staff make every effort to please, food is good, rooms are good. Bath linens/towels and face cloths are sometimes a problem - not enough. Internet connection is slow and unreliable. Hotel has a great pier for dive boats to pick up and drop off divers. This is our hotel of choice for dive trips in Cozumel.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Howard D
Andresmaillard, Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank for your words and for choosing us, we will take care to eliminate that towel problem as soon as possible.
thanks again and see you son.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The location was beautiful and the activities were so much fun. Gustavo and Casper were very fun and entertaining guys which enhanced our trip experience and made it harder to leave. These guys were funny and made sure everyone enjoying the beach was having a good time.

3  Thank Jesse H
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest:
It is really nice to read that you had a good time and you enjoyed the entertaining at our location with Gustavo and Casper.
Also I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and we hoping to welcome you back again for another great experience.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked our stay at El Cid about 4 months prior to traveling using our time share points with Wyndham. We have a 10 year old who had never been outside of the US and wanted to snorkel for the first time so we wanted to try Cozumel. El Cid was a wonderful place to do just that! When we arrived we had rented a car at the airport as we had planned to explore the island on our own, we were greeted with champagne and fruit punch for our son. They gave us a room on the ground floor which I was extremely unhappy with at first as I did not want to spend my trip looking at the side of a cruise ship as I had read in many other reviews! After getting settled in the room however the ground floor room was perfect for our small family. There were only three rooms on the ground floor of the tower and we had the whole garden area to ourselves most of the time. We felt extremely safe at all times and utilized the sliding glass door on our patio to enter and exit our room on the days we were staying at the resort. We did not utilize the all inclusive option as we went down the street to Mega and bought our own snorkeling gear, bottled water, chips, snacks, rum, mixers, etc.. (Mega is the Mexican equivalent of Walmart and is only about 1 mile from the resort on the same road). We asked the helpful staff about neat places to eat in town and got some great recommendations. I would highly recommend this resort to any family wishing to travel outside of the US as it is safe, fun, beautiful and full of great people ready to serve you. The whole island seems to shut down about 2-3 hours after the cruise ships leave, so if you are looking to party then Cozumel might not be for you. IF you are looking for a relaxing vacation with world class snorkeling and diving then Cozumel and specifically El Cid is your place!

Room Tip: Enjoyed the access of my ground floor room with a young child and snorkel equipment
2  Thank Jennifer C

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and detailed point by point your past staying at our hotel.
Thank you also for highly recommend our hotel and hoping to welcome you back soon for another marvelous vacation.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at El Cid using our Wyndham (through RCI) timeshare points. We'd heard that this place was "not a 5-star hotel" so maybe our expectations were appropriately set. That said, our room, while small, was adequate. We stayed in the older portion of the hotel. The bathroom was in need of serious updating (shower head, sink had no plug). But we spent very little time at the hotel itself--why would you in Cozumel? And the setting right on the water was awesome. The entire staff was so very friendly and service-oriented, including everyone in the restaurant. We also had a problem with our reservations (our fault) and the hotel kindly put us up in the newer part of the hotel for 1 night at a very reasonable rate. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the tower (newer side) if you want a larger, newer room.
1  Thank Jill S

Dear Guest:
On behalf of El Cid la Ceiba Hotel I would like to thank you for this kind review and we are so proud to read that we meet your expectation because is our principal goal.
Again thank you and hoping to welcome you back soon at this your home away of home.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I was suppose to be in Mexico for a week. I paid for my room three months in advance. I paid for a suite. When I got to el cid, they Gave my room away and I was stuck in a studio room. They told me to come back up to the receptionist desk the following day and REMIND them that I paid for a suite. The next two days I got the same story. Then the receptionist would continue to tell me the supervisor would contact me. The last day of the trip I asked for my credit for the room. They refused to give it to me and said that the supervisor was not there. I Argued with them until I could not argue anymore or I would have missed my plane. It's been two weeks and I am still waiting for my refund of two hundred dollars.
While I stayed in my studio room, I encountered roaches scurrying in my bathroom and stains on my comforter. The ceiling is composed of bamboo so the roaches quickly escaped. The air conditioner made me very sick. My room smelled like mold the whole time I was there. I ended up at the doctor and prescribed four different medications when I came back to the states due to the poor air quality in my room.
This trip made me miss home and I could not wait to go home. There is something wrong with me wanting to go home on my vacation.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pinkangel45625

Dear guest:
i apologize for the bad experoence you had at our hotel i will look deeply about this situation and will contact you as son as i have a solution for your refound.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed here many times before. We've always enjoyed our visits but this time we saw something we've never seen before. The hotel is much improved in every area possible. Food, cleanliness of the hotel, friendliness of the staff and general overall better service.

I'd like to give particular recognition to Bibiana at the front desk. She is a gem! Also Paulino and William in the restaurant. Both are excellent and so friendly. Thank you to all of you!

We had a terrific week. The maids are perfect. They look so neat and clean and are such hard workers. Our room was spotless!

We will return! Hopefully very soon. This hotel feels like home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soho204

Dear guest:
Thanks for your words and for noting all the changes it is on of our goals to improve and update every área at any chance that we have.
take care and hope to see you again son.

Sincerely

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The place is a little outdated, looks like it was built in the 70's and really hasn't been updated since. Get rid of the swamp coolers in the rooms and get HVAC. It makes the rooms misrable. there is already way too much humidity in souther Mexico, it just makes it worse. Staff is nice, the welcoming is really nice. I would say the service is awesome. The hotel its self needs renovated. The beach area is great, they had an awesome DJ/entertainer down there playing music and he was pretty hilarious. The snorkeling right out of the hotel is pretty cool. Sadly, I think next time I'd stay somewhere with updated rooms (and ac) and go there to hang out and get drinks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stut8500

Dear Guest :
Thank you for sharing this review, we are working in some of the details you mentioned and hopefully we will finish with those topics.
Thanks for the recognition to our staff that is the heart of this hotel and they work hard and nice for all our guest.