“Older well maintained resort hotel”

El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I spent a week at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel in mid July 2014. The Hotel is half Timeshare and half hotel. This Hotel is older but well maintained. The staff is polite and helpful.
We thought that it would be easier to bring luggage up and down from the room if the elevator were larger. The pool is dark bottom absorbing heat making the pool too warm to be refreshing in summer. The restaurant at the facility is not inexpensive, but the food is very good. Of course there is an All- Inclusive option where you pay a daily rate and eat to your hearts content. We did a Time- Share presentation, and while they did not humiliate us for being disinclined to purchase, these presentations are tedious. You may just avoid the trial altogether. However we did get a couple of nice perks for the trouble. We got a cheap four day scooter rental! The scooter immediately paid for itself (Cabs are very expensive in Cozumel). We went all over on ours- to restaurants, snorkeling beaches, the Mega Market ( a Super Wall Mart type store in town), etc ( I must recommend the Money Bar Restaurant to the south of town. Good Food, wonderful beach and snorkeling and a FREE SHOWER). I would recommend a multi-day scooter rental to anyone visiting Cozumel. The Hotel has a wonderful beach and direct access to the ocean. As you probably know the water is warm and the visibility incomparable. This is why you come to Cozumel in the first place! La Ceiba Beach is a wonderful access point for all of the aquatic activities in Cozumel ( SCUBA, Snorkeling, Cruising). Many Cruise Ships came and went during our stay at El Cid. They park at two piers just south of this resort. Linda and I were very entertained by the coming and going of the cruise tourists and all the support boats that serviced them during their stay in port. All in all we had a great stay at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, and we will come again to this establishment.

Room Tip: We were in a Studio. It had a kitchenette with frig microwave and electric range. Very nice. I think...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John K
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We appreciate your time to tell us what a positive experience you had and how didi you enjoyed Snorkeling at the property !!

I appreciate your recognition and we look forward to welcoming you back one more time,

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a great place to just relax. We came down with no expectations of anything but to lay on the beach and swim in the ocean. The dining room staff was excellent. One server who really stood out was Christiano. Daniel (concierge) was incredibly helpful and was always ready to help with anything we needed.

I am a member of the vacation club so we have been here previously. I would not recommend joining the vacation club since they sell you a product that does not exist. I am currently waiting on the Los Cabos property that should be available in 2010. I have been told the property was completed but waiting for final approval to let people stay there. Needless to say it was a complete lie. The property will not be built until the US Economy is better. They are currently looking at 2017 before they even begin again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ecvc2014
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear guest.

Thanks so much for the wonderful review you have wrote of our lovely hotel. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Every single employee of this resort from the servers to supervisors, are always trying to provide the best service and best facilities, so we are glad to read that once again we did it.
i will extend this review to all the mentioned staff so they keep working hard.

Cordially yours

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for a week, we bought tickets to go to Chichen itza, and we were ditched at a place we didn't know nothing about, it was pretty scary to be in place we were lost, the company that we rent a car from tried to
charge $1400 dollars extra to our card without our knowledge nor permission, these two companies that we were ripped off from were recommended by el cid la ceiba hotel, the service and food were great after all, I will not recommend this place

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Maribel L
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest:
I want to thank you for t your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; believe me your feedback is really appreciated i will find out more about this companies you mentioned and check what is going on with them.
I'm glad to hear that you liked the food and the service
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

All of the staff are very kind and considerate. Especially The concierge staff are exceptionally friendly and treat everyone with much warmth and consideration.Especially helpful were Daniel, Carlos.... Also in the restaurant Luis, Cristanto,and all the waiters and cooks are very kind. The ocean is clean and full of colorful x fish.Very nice Oceanside palapas and lounge chairs and service by the restaurant staff is wonderful.

Room Tip: Ocean side is nice.little balconies to watch the sunset
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kobayashi2014

Dear Guest:
We would like to thank you for taking your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; believe me your feedback is really appreciated.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stayed with us.
Once again, thank you for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again in a near future;
Kind regards,

Andrés Maillard

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Came here with my wife and daughter for her college grad gift this past June. I have been to the Riviera Maya in 2011 to a 5 star resort which I then wrote a review on. But had never been to Cozumel.

We stayed at this resort for 4 nights and El Cid's resort in Puerto Morales ( mainland) for 3 nights. My advise is stay at Cozumel 2 nights or 3 max. It is fantastic for diving but is pretty boring Island otherwise and extremely expensive.

Now for the El Cid resort: I have no complaints, the rooms are nice, bed was comfortable we stayed at the 2nd level room with a great view of the harbor from a nice balcony. This is not an all inclusive resort, which is probably a good concept for this location. Tried the restaurant for breakfast each morning, and Supper once- so so. Their are better options in town away from the tourist area's. My issue with El CID resort is as many other reviewer's say is you will be bombarded with the cruises passengers. It is not fun. Stay away from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. The resort becomes a madhouse. We were their during the World Cup madness. Stay away from your room as well.

Comparing Cozumel to the Riviera Maya price wise they will rip you off. Food and drinks in Cozumel is a complete is disappointing.

If you do not want to take a 10$ taxi into town there are 3 restaurants on the ocean side within a short walk of the El Cid Resort on the main drag, they are ok but pricey.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mleafs

Dear Guest:

Let me thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at our resort. Our company always welcomes positive and constructive criticism, it will helps us to improve our service and product.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed our rooms, specially the view and it is also nice to read that you took your time to explore this beautiful Island of peace.
We thank you for every single comment.normally at any Island over the world live is more expensive tan in main land
We really hope that you honor us again with your visit and to change your first impression, Cordially

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Just got home last night from my first visit to Mexico. We stayed at the El cid in cozumel. There was a group of 15 of us. The resort was amazing! My kids snorkeled the entire time right in front of the resort. We watched the cruise ships coming in and our each day. The food in the restaurant was pretty good. We ate there almost all of our meals. We sat thru the time share seminar and got some great discounts for it. They were not pushy at all when saying no like most places. Jackie Chan, the activities director was amazing! She was the dj by the pool each day as well as water aerobics instructor, she ran bingo etc etc etc. She was GREAT! The rooms were clean. We came in every day to towels made into different things on the bed which the kids loved to see and the maids put Lil chocolates on the beds each night. Such a great time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lisa t
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest:

On behalf of all the Staff of Hotel El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel I want to thank you for your fantastic review and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are so glad to know that you had a fun holiday with us and that our staff took good care of you, I will share your kind comments with them specially with Jackie.

It will be a pleasure to serve you in a near future.
And again thanks for your awesome review and for preferring El Cid Resorts.

Cordially
GM

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I think this is the theme that the hotel staff operates under, that their place is your home and I must say it feels that way. We were treated very warmly by the staff, and always greeted with a smile and made to feel welcome.
Before arriving we asked for a ground floor unit in the 3 story building and the hotel was quick to reply that it had been arranged and ready for us. Just wonderfull! Nice kitchen and the unit was in good condition and very clean. The dampness that others have mentioned is simply from the humidity and we found it to be acceptable and not musty or unclean. To be able to walk out to the beach area from our living room or bedroom door was just fantastic! We snorkeled at money bar and palancar and found the water at the El Cid to be the clearest.

Room Tip: Want quick access to the beach and pool area? Go for a ground floor unit in the 3 story building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trace B

Dear Guest:
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Sincerely Yours,