“The Best in Cozumel”

Ranked #11 of 26 Cozumel B&B and Inns
cjnctraveler
“The Best in Cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

My daughter and I just returned from a vacation in Cozumel and a seven night stay at Baldwin's. My daughter is the one who did the research on accomodations in Cozumel and was impressed with the information she found on this highly ranked B&B in the heart of San Miguel. I was skeptical, because I have been traditionally a large hotel, all inclusive kind of person. Thanks to my stay at Baldwin's, I am now a B&B convert!
We both loved everything about our stay at Baldwin's and would never consider any other accomodations in Cozumel. The most important factors were the quality of the rooms and spectacular grounds as well as the exceptional graciousness of our hosts, Kathy and Dale.

We stayed in the Garden Room in the main house and found it to be exceptionally large and well appointed. Our windows overlooked the pretty entrance courtyard and I loved the amount of space, the beautiful hand carved bed headboard and other wood pieces. The private bathroom was lovely and spacious.

The grounds are a tropical delight, with a gorgeous blue tiled pool with a stone waterfall, an outdoor kitchen and bar area, a large gazebo and an aviary.

Our hosts Kathy and Dale were a wealth of information on all aspects of Cozumel and were always attentive and gracious. This B&B must attract really great guests (my daughter and I included LOL!) because we had a really enjoyable time interacting with everyone at breakfast and evenings at the outdoor bar area. This was one of the aspects I was worried about in staying at this type of accomodation. I like to have some alone time on the grounds without resorting to being in my room. This was no problem because of the size of this property and the fact that both guests and hosts were very respectful.

Now to talk about the breakfasts! They were amazing and varied and bountiful. Every breakfast included sliced ripe fruit, yogurt ,granola and a delectable pastry. This was then followed by various main courses including such breakfast staples as eggs, pancakes, waffles, sausages and much more. Everything is served as it is made and arrives at the table piping hot, fresh and delicious. Kathy always wanted to know what we liked to make sure we had the breakfast of our dreams. No problem there!

I loved the location of Baldwins because it is in the heart of San Miguel. It was great to have the opportunity to be living in the middle of a regular Cozumel neighborhood. We were about 5 blocks to the pedestrian mall and Plaza and about seven blocks to the waterfront. My daughter and I did not have a car the entire time and we really enjoyed our walks to the plaza, walking through various neighborhoods. We always felt completely safe even walking at night.

There is no downside to staying at Baldwins. You can't do any better. I am almost afraid to give this great review because I fear it will be hard to get a reservation for my next stay.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank cjnctraveler

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

Kathy and Dale helped make my second trip to Cozumel so much better than the first, ( which was all diving). Dale booked us on a sailboat outing that was the highlight of our trip,and kept us entertained with his joking. Kathy fed us an awesome breakfast every morning, consisting of fresh fruit, and then something hot and delicious. They both gave us good advice about taxis, shopping, eats, ect. The entire house was spotless, and our room was very comfortable. The home is surrounded by beautiful gardens and a high wall with a locked gate, so we felt very secure. As for Cozumel itself, it's lovely and has wonderful snorkeling and scuba diving opportunities with great viz.
Get to Cozumel and get to know the people, you'll love it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank RubyD85
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

Hi- I have been to Cozumel four times and stayed with Kathy and Dale everytime. It is completely wonderful. They have great advice, great breakfasts, great guests and a great house. There is a special comfort in traveling to a foreign country and staying with folks who can interpret everything for you and make you feel safe as at home. thanks Kathy and Dale Luci Miller PIttsburgh

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lucidickens
Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

Uncle Dale and Kathy provided us with hospitality not found on large resorts. They provided us with all the information of the area which allowed us to sit on our favorite beaches and navigate San Miguel (including restaurants, shopping, sight seeing, etc). The neighborhood was completely safe for our walk to the plaza each night. The nightlife down town was sufficent for us as we walked freely thu the town and enjoyed many great meals around the Plaza. Uncle Dale arranged a rental car at rock bottom prices with absolutely no hassle on the return. The other guests were a delight as we all became friends very quickly. The rooms (including bath) were impeccable. I can't say enough about the leisure atmosphere at the BB . From having a beer with Uncle Dale at the outside kitchen to the hammocks with a book on the casita. Kathy is to be commended on her delicious breakfast every morning preparing us for our days adventures. We found the beaches on the eastern side of the island were beautiful but not suited for swimming because of the currents. Those beaches were totally deserted and we spent many hours walking and talking, being totally alone . It was fantastic surf with rolling seas and we did see the younger crowd surfing there. Nice part of Cozumel is its size. You can be anywhere on the island in 10 minutes.

Loved the island of Cozumel, especially Baldwin's B&B, and are looking forward to our next trip!

1 Thank jstchillin
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

The title says it all. If you are going to Cozumel you must stay here. The rooms are immaculate, the breakfasts are awesome, and Dale & Kathy make you part of the family. This is our fourth trip to Cozumel and we will never stay anywhere else.

1 Thank hgnevets
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

My girlfriend and I chose Baldwin's based on the reviews here. It was an excellent choice. Kathy and Dale (AKA "Grumpy Bear") were fabulous hosts. We stayed in the master bedroom which was large, clean and well air conditioned with a great private bathroom. I didn't see a single bug in the entire 6 days we were there. There were lots of iguanas (tame and wild) birds, turtles, a duck and a cute dog named Lona.

Kathy's breakfasts were AWESOME! Different everyday and plenty of good food. Dale is the handiest guy I have met. He built much of the place himself joining several properties together into one contiguous place with a beautigul garden, a fish pond he is building, etc, He is also very friendly and warm, and humorously grumpy all the time, thus the name "Grumpy Bear". Come with thick skin and trade a few barbs with him and it will add to the authenticity of the experience.

The main goal of the trip was to relax and do a few activities. Kathy and Dale know lots of local tour folks who can take you diving (Troy), snorkeling etc. They will also let you know the best local restaurants and taco places (Mister Taco), Fish markets (etc). I went on two incredible dives through Troy including my first night dive. There were lots of lobsters, crabs, octopi, sea snakes, turtles, etc. My favorite activity by far was to go Spearfishing with Leo (who is a friend of Dale & Kathy). It is a rush and a great workout (especially when there is a strong current). Leo moved to Cozumel from Holland a year ago and has spearfished six days a week since arriving. He is is a good teacher and knows some great spots. We went free diving (snorkel, mask and weights). He provided a spear gun and showed me how to use it. I speared one fish that got away (it is not easy to shoot underwater). He caught two (Trigger fish and Goat Fish) which he cleaned for me and my girlfriend and I cooked back at the house in the big outdoor kitchen. Dale & Kathy provided all the cooking tools, spices and utensils (and a few side dishes) to make it a great meal.

The island was a little slower than I expected since it is high season, but the economy is likely to blame.

If you are looking for an authentic experience in Cozumel with folks that have been there for over 10 years, away from the "Tourons" on the cruise ships and big hotels, this is the place.

NE Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

As we planned a week-away from the snow and cold in the NE US, Trip Advisor didn't have a single bad or mediocre review for Baldwin's. So we booked in and discovered Baldwin's is a lovely in-city oasis. They feature absolutely great breakfasts, and the owners are a great resource for the restaurants, beaches, shopping, and reefs of the island. The rooms are attractive and clean, the elegant guest house is beautifully restored, and everything is set in a lush garden-filled compound. Baldwin's is a gem.

• Liked — Almost everything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CrewsTwo