“All you need”

Hotel Plaza Cozumel
Ranked #26 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Older building but great location downtown,close to the ferry pier,very well maintained,very good breakfast included,nice staff and has a small pool,wifi and ac. Great value!! Also, try the bakery next door for fresh baked goods and drinks for a good price.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank steve4444steve

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We found this hotel by chance, the location is very convenient. Close to the jety end close to the city centre. The rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast is available and sufficient to start the day. Wifi is working good so that is fine if you need to keep in touch. The pool is a bonus and a nice view comes with it for free.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jwijk
Reviewed 30 October 2012

While diving in Cozumel, I suffered from decompression sickness. I was forced to spend an extra two nights in Cozumel. I was staying in the southern resort zone, but to extend my stay was going to be too expensive (and too far away from where I was receiving treatment). So, I decided to move in town. I found Hotel Plaza Cozumel on the internet at an excellent nightly rate (perhaps because it was the low season) and booked it. I had a secondary issue in that I needed to drop off my bags and my brother's bags before going to get treatment the day I was to check in. At the same time, we needed to be able to get my brother's bags back from the hotel so he could fly out as scheduled. All of this before check in time. I wrote the hotel and email and got a very quick response that they would have my room ready at 8:00am (6 or 7 hours before check in time) and my brother could leave his bags at the front desk. With so much to arrange and coordinate in rescheduling my trip and getting treatment, it was wonderful how easy and quickly this hotel solved one of my obstacles for me.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. They have a strange procedure where you leave your key at the front desk when you leave the room, but it never presented any problem for me, so I was okay with it. They serve a pretty good better-than-continental breakfast.

The room is basic, but clean with a lot of television channels (which was necessary since I was on bed rest). My only complaint is that the beds are pretty hard. Several days stuck in bed took its toil.

I would definitely consider this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JenHol32
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The building is old, BUT the hotel is very well-kept and clean overall.

-The good size guest room (I was on the 3rd floor facing water) had fairly new paint on the wall and lighting/bathroom fixtures appeared very new(shiny!) as well.
-When I asked for a hair dryer at the front desk they gave me practically brand-new dryer still in the original box/bag!
-They give you a bottle of water each day
-Nice complimentary Breakfast buffet(selections of hot entree/fresh tropical fruits/variety of bread/yogurt & granola) by roof-top pool

>Wooden furniture in the room could use some updating...Especially the wooden guest room doors with no deadbolt/security chain/auto-lock didn't seem too secure. I put a chair and my luggage behind the door at night. Would love to see some improvement on the door situation in the future.

I am satisfied at this hotel overall though, and will stay here again when I go back.
Great location too - close to restaurants/shops/piers etc.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank sydneytheturtle
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The hotel was super clean and the staff was very helpful and the breakfast each morning was delicious Mexican fare. We were there for 10 days in May and when we asked for ice they brought us a fridge for our room. The pool on the roof was quite nice and never busy. We also loved the seafood restaurant around the corner called Camilo's. The sopa de lima was great and the coconut shrimp with tamarind sauce was amazing. We are hoping to go back to Cozumel and we would definately choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Katherine A
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This place was great. It's a wonderful location, close to the city center, but on a quiet side street.
It's clean, the staff is nice, and it was the cheapest hotel we found. Take advantage of the breakfast. It's not like other hotels, with the standard pastry, cereal, juice routine.. Their complimentary meal is cooked to order, and fantastic.
The pool area on the roof is great. The only thing I can say was lacking was their elevator, 3 person max, and you feel like cheating death every time you take it.. But honestly, is 4 floors, take the stairs, no big deal.
In conclusion, this hotel was great, this is where we will be stying every time we come back to town.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank mndtylr
Reviewed 22 April 2012

i was very happy with this hotel, and I am quite a picky person! I paid $57/night, and was traveling by myself. The front desk staff was quite friendly and every day I would tell them where I was going and how much should i expect to pay a taxi driver... this ended up saving me quite a few dollars, as the taxis have no meters.

This hotel is 250 meters from the Ferry to Playa del Carmen. I didn't know this and the taxi I took from the Ferry took me on quite a tour of Cozumel before depositing me at the hotel. I was quite surprised an hour later when I went for a walk and saw the Ferry was literally around the corner.

I had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the street, nearby rooftops and ocean views as well... Mexican rooftops are pretty dirty, so its not the best view!

beds are clean, and the mattresses are quite firm. Fine for sleeping, but not comfortable for reading or watching TV.

furniture is old and little wobbly, but you're in mexico, so who cares.

there is an fully functioning elevator, which is unusual for budget accom in latin america!

By far the best thing about this hotel is the rooftop pool. The pool is 2/3 shallow and 1/3 deep. the shallow end is about chest height when sitting and the deep end is about chest height when standing (i'm 5foot9 or 175cm). The shallow end is great for lounging. I usually had the whole roof top to myself, but its late April, so the hotel isn't very busy. the pool water was very clean, and a nice cool temperature, great during the day, but maybe a little cool for night swims. the bathrooms on the rooftop were kinda gross though, so better to go back to your room. great views of the ocean, nice place to watch the sunset. pool is lined with lounge chairs, great place to read a book or tan.

Housekeeping staff is great, I left a tip of $3-4 per day and came home to different towel animals on the bed every day.

breakfast is nothing special. I only went once and options were cold omelets, or cereal.

there was some construction going on in the room next door on the weekdays during my stay. They started with their power tools at around 10am, which was annoying, but i also took it as a sign that I should get the heck out of bed and onto the beach!

Room Tip: ask if there is construction going on.