My husband and I have always stayed on the north end of the island but we decided to try somewhere new this time. We stayed for 10 days - June 13 - 22. The grounds were beautiful - very much like being in the jungle. Be prepared to do a lot of walking, which we enjoyed. The rooms are not on the beach but we knew that before going. They were well kept and spacious. We were surprised that there was a bathtub in addition to the shower. The staff was wonderful, accommodating and hard workers. We only did the al la cart dining. The wide selection of food was good. The main buffet restaurant is La Posada. Although there is AC, it was always very warm. Ceiling fans would be great.
The biggest complaint we had was the wait at the bar. Although there were three bars, the beach bar always had long lines (sometimes 10 minutes) to get a drink. The bar in the beachside restaurant was only open during lunch hours which helped a little. The other bar was at the front of the resort and was too far away during the day get drinks from. The beach however was fantastic. Very clean and no rocks to go over to get into the water. They also have a life guard which was nice.
We are divers and absolutely LOVED Dive Palancar!!!! They have boats going out all day. They are just minutes from most dive sites. The dive masters are fantastic and the staff was just as great! We tried the valet service with our dive gear and was not disappointed. They took it to and from the boat each day, cleaned and dried it, and stored it for us. I bought a video of a wreck dive we did and the photographer and the video were excellent! This is a top notch operation! We will be using them again when we go back.
TIP - The hotel is on the very southern end of the island. If you don't rent a car, it is pretty expensive to take a taxi to town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only the Caribbean’s most famous reef system could match the beauty and splendor of the Occidental Grand Cozumel, which is exactly why the two exist side-by-side. Located on Cozumel’s gorgeous San Francisco beach, just above the bottomless blue paradise of the Palancar Reef system, you’ll find an authentic-style state that delivers all the luxuries of a private oceanside hacienda. Gourmet dining, bright and airy rooms, nightly music and entertainment, daily sports and beach activities and an on-site spa and salon make the Occidental grand Cozumel the jewel of any Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Occidental Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Grand Hotel Cozumel
- Grand Cozumel
- Grand Occidental Cozumel