“Wonderful hotel in one of the most beautiful beaches of Cozumel.”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The property is large, and although none of the rooms have an ocean view, walking to the pools and the beach is very easy. The staff is always very friendly and scuba diving is close to perfect. I've been there three times and I am sure I'll be back.

Room Tip: Try to skip staying on the first flood. If it rains a lot you may get some flooding.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank JCGonzalezN
There are newer reviews for Occidental Cozumel

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was our 7th visit to Occidental Grand Cozumel since 2005. We love it!! My husband loves the diving and I love relaxing on the beach and the spa. Erika (Spa Manager) is friendly and caring, and her massages are so very relaxing. She always makes sure that you are comfortable and her services are beneficial to you. She is fabulous!
We love the Grand Cozumel for its character/charm. The hotel staff and the Dive Shop staff are all very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: My opinion--If you like to sit on a balcony/patio to read or enjoy a drink I would ask for a 2nd or...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank luv2travel94
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from Aug 24-Aug 31, 2013. We arrived at the hotel via Olympus Tours transfers which we paid for with our package from Cheap Caribbean. Pretty uneventful ride. They pack you into a hot van but it's what we expect.
Hotel: There really is no "front desk" it's just 2 desks in the courtyard. Ricardo checked us in when we arrived about noon. After everything I read on trip advisor I requested a 2nd floor room. Ricardo seemed like he didn't want to do that. He had already tagged us in room 1614. I explained I couldn't walk 2 flights of stairs due to bad knees but I could do 1. I told him I'm afraid of bugs walking into the bottom floor room. Finally he gave us room 1727. You will not be able to check in until 3-3:30. They will tell you there is a bathroom where you can go and change. Your luggage will stay out front of the hotel in the driveway until your room is ready. It seemed a bit odd but since the Hotel sits in off the road no one will bother it. We took our carry-on bags with us since they had our electronics in them.
You will arrive in the building where are the specialty restaurant's are along with the breakfast buffet, lobby bar, a small gift shop, tour companies. After the check in with Ricardo you go right to another desk to see the "conciour" who is basically a time share guy. They will say it's not a time share but it is. When they say meet us for breakfast for a 90 min presentation...that's what they mean. They will make you feel bad by saying we only get paid if you show up to the breakfast presentation. Alex told us we don't have to do anything but have breakfast then excuse ourselves. Needless to say we are NOT interested in a timeshare and never went. I will explain later the events that took place because of this.
We then changed into cooler cloths and went to the beach bar/ lunch buffet which is on the beach with fantastic views. You walk from the main building thru an outside sitting area thru all the building to a quiet pool then you cross a wooden walkway to the party pool. You will then see to the right is another building which houses the beach bar. It's a bit of a walk and the walk way is not even so beware you don't trip and fall.
Once we checked into our room we thought it was large, clean and cool. PHEW...we'd heard horror stories.
We stayed at the hotel during "off" season. The hotel holds maybe about 600 people? We guessed there were only about 150 people here at any given time. With that said we had a much different experience than others who have stayed here.
We ate at the 2 open specialty restaurant's every night but 1 night when they opened the buffet. We followed what people told us on trip advisor plus what's on their website about the dress code for the specialty restaurants. We soon found out that if the Hotel only opens the specialty restaurants you can wear basically whatever. They can't hold you to a dress code. We dressed up anyways. The only problem was we got tired of eating at the specialty restaurants (the Steakhouse-El Sonora & Mediterranean -Los Olivos) after the 2nd time. The 3rd time I became friendly with the staff and they were so sweet to let me mix and match from both menu's. We tipped $5.00 usd every night. I think this helped us get special service. We had some amazing chips and aioli sauce at Los Olivos. We only got it the last 2 times we ate there.
We certainly give this hotel 5 stars for the dinners. The one night we ate at the buffet it was great they had red snapper that was fantastic! We got lucky again and had it on the lunch buffet one day. We give it 4 stars for the breakfast and lunch due to the lack of variety and having to ask for bacon from the omelet person. The lunch was the same daily. If you want a hamburger you have to ask and my first one wasn't cooked very good. I asked for well done the next day and I was happy. We stay at all-inclusive hotels every time we stay in Mexico this was the best for food.
Room: We had 2 full size beds which was fine since my boyfriend snores. The nights got pretty warm and it seemed like the air stopped at night. We ended up waking up a lot sweating. We did end up asking for pillow toppers for the beds since they were much harder than we could tolerate. Even with the topper I felt like mine was still really hard. I was glad to finally get home to my own bed. We tipped everyday and the maid left us some amazing towel animals. We could have used more than 4 bottles of water each day. All in all it was OK.
Pool: I spent a lot of time at the party pool that only had a handful of people in it at any given time. It was ok but NO pool bar?? There was a guy who would come around occasionally to see if you wanted a drink but not consistently. I even tipped each time but it didn't produce any better service. I always take my insulated mug so, I don't have to make many trips to the bar.
Snorkeling: The Hotel is the best place for snorkeling right off the beach. We saw the barracuda and all the cool fishes. Suzanna will do a snorkeling lesson then take you out and show you all the cool things. I recommend doing it. The hotel offers free kayak's for 30 min's. That was fun too.
Tours: we did a snorkeling tour thru Olympus Tours that was just OK. My boyfriend went and did the one the dive shop offers and he said it was much better for the money!
We did the Jeep Tour thru Olympus Tours and we requested a guide to drive us. Otherwise you get a tourist who might be drinking too much driving an older jeep around the island. I like my life more than to put it into someone else's hands. Unless you've got a group of 4 people whom you know and trust. Roger was our guide which was nice because we got a commentary about the island along the way. You do stop at a Mayan Ruin and you will need bug spray here. If you don't have it don't worry. They will spray you for $1.00 each person. We actually took some with us since we read it on here but for some reason never needed it at our hotel. Other's on the jeep tour said they went thru a few bottles at their hotels. So, take it!!!
We went to Chankanaab Park. We asked how much the taxi should cost and they said $14.00. We were charged $15.00 on the way there. When you leave they have a sign that says it should cost $13.00 so, that's what we showed our cab driver and that's all we paid. We didn't tip the cab drivers because with the exchange rate they are ripping us off.
The park was nice. They offered us some kind of a deal where we paid a little less than the 21.00 per person for admission. We did snuba and had a blast. They will offer you a locker for the day. However, their cc machine is wifi. It didn't work even thought the one at the front desk did. We ended up having to find an atm and pay cash. No biggie but be aware. We had Manuel give us a tour of the park which was informative and we tipped him $20. usd. He was very good. The tequila factory there was ok but too expensive for us since we don't drink tequila.
We enjoyed the dolphin and sea lion shows. We ate lunch at the outside place by the snorkeling beach. It was very good but a bit pricey. All in all we made a day of it and had a good time. If you want a towel bring one from your hotel or buy one in the gift shop.
Entertainment:
With the low occupancy in the hotel they didn't offer much in the evenings. There was a live band one night and they were fantastic! We did buy 2 blankets from the vendors for 10.00 a piece but they are really only worth 5.00 each. They wanted 17.00 each.
Duty Free:
We shopped at duty free and had no problems. We put our purchases in our carry-on's since they hand it right back to you. When we got to Houston we switched it over to our check in bags.
Lastly, the timeshare people at the hotel. We were walking to the breakfast buffet the day after we arrived. The employees were all huddled and approaching you as you entered the buffet area. Luckily, they were talking to other vacationers then. However, when we went to get the daily "sunset post" (activities guide for the day/ which restaurant's are open) from the check-in desk and to make reservations at the specialty restaurant's. You HAVE to walk right thru the time share people. They called me by name and I turned around and she held the paper in my face asking why didn't I come to breakfast. She was pretty relentless and I didn't appreciate it. I came really close to pushing her out of my way and punching her in the face. My boyfriend finally pulled me away and we just walked away. OMG! I had never been harassed that much about a damn timeshare in all my travels. We finally figured out a way to avoid this area by walking around the building to the tour companies and walking thru instead of the more direct way to avoid the timeshare people. So just be aware of this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Countrygirl85
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We wish to thank our dive instructor, Carla "Carlita" Guardiola, for her amazing introduction to the world of diving. She patiently guided us from knowing nothing to completing our PADI Open Water Diver Certification. She is as conscientious as she is friendly. Thank you, Carlita, for acquainting us with the wonders of diving.

The resort is excellent. But our experience with Carla made it superb.

Room Tip: Visit during the off season!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John_y_Chris_Kendall
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Great stay. This was a solo trip to get my open water diving certification. Carla was an excellent instructor and easy to learn from. REALLY enjoyed the diving portion of this trip. This resort is very laid back and not at all crowded. The people who try to stake out chairs at 6AM really need not do it here(But they still do), as there are MORE than enough chairs to go around unless your hanging by a pool and not at the ocean. I stayed on the top floor of the Royal Club buildings and it was very nice. AC was working the whole time. Housekeeping was wonderful and helped me with every need during my stay. Food was average, but I don't go to these places for the food. So just feed me edible things, and I am happy. I recommend trying the surf and turf at least once while you are here. The lobster tails are freaking HUGE!!!! The lunch buffet was good. All the sit down restaurants were good. All the room service was good. Even ordering off the room service menu was easy. All in all, a very positive stay. The ONLY negative I have is when I sat outside for breakfast at the Royal Club restaurant, the wildlife had made their mark under the table and all around the patio, so it smelled of Iguana poop. Not the most appetizing smell while trying to enjoy your morning coffee with a hangover from the trip down. Overall, a good trip and worth the extra cost to stay in the royal club. Make you reservations closer to the beach/royal club to avoid the noise from the night time shows.

Room Tip: No Ocean views here. Stay in the units closer to the beach to avoid the nighttime noise from the out...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Taylori82
Reviewed 4 September 2013

hotel is clean and very well maintained- landcsape is gorgeous- everyone is eager to help and serve you-rooms are very big with big bathrooms and showers that can fit 3 people !
Food is good but only good-by week'send , you are treated to same stuff.
Great place for snorkeling and diving- they supply most of equipment
This was our second time and we enjoyed it again

Room Tip: try to get a room in odd numbered buildings- more light inside rooms during daytime
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rickham
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I spent 8 days in Cozumel. We were in Bldg. 19 second floor, room was roomy and always clean. We did the Romance package, received two bottles of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Everyday the housekeeping left towel art on the bed, which was very nice. We had massages at the spa which were wonderful. The snorkeling was amazing. Most guests staying there at the time said it was the best dive resort to stay at. The resort is very clean and safe. Friendly staff. We would stay there again. When you are traveling to other countries, you have to remember that they are not as fortunate as people from the states with all of the simple luxuries that we take for granted. If you are looking to relax, enjoy swimming in the pool or Caribbean sea, dive or snorkel, I would recommend this resort. If you are looking to spending most of your time eating, then go on a cruise.

Room Tip: We prefer to stay in an upper floor so we don't have noise above us. We also asked to be in a bl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple