“The trip wasn't all that was expected or promised.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
“The trip wasn't all that was expected or promised.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

the trip was not as great as we were promised. We were overcharged for a trip/activity then promised a reimbursement and did not get it. The workers were nice. The food was horrible. The only edible thing was the french fries and french toast for breakfast. The restaurants included were less than average. If you do not drink alcohol, you don't have much of a drink selection at the resort.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank codycraig
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Cozumel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Codycraig,

Thank you for send us your review. The satisfaction of our guests is our goal, but it appears we failed to offer them during your stay. Your comments are very valuable for us, as they help us to improve.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations. We shared your review with involved departments and currently we are looking into new ways to improve the results.

We hope to have the chance to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Neosho, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The resort was very pretty but was warm. You were sweating everywhere you went even in the restaurants. The resort staff was nice especially Susana. She was the best person in the whole place. We did get ripped off from the time share concierge. His name was Jamie. He never gave us back our $10 deposit. Instead he spent it on tequilla to give to us. And then when we went to complain they did nothing about it. We did come in the off season, so it was nice not having very many people there. So, there was plenty of room on the beach and pool. The food was ok, you can live off it but its not the best food. You never knew where the food was going to be so you had to make sure you got a flyer for all the days activites. As for the rooms were pretty, the beds were hard and the ac didn't work the whole time. We had ants in our bathroom and had to ask them to spray 3 times that was annoying. I felt I couldn't put anything on the counter. The cleaning staff was great!! The servers were great. I would skip the time share people. They say its takes 90 mins but no its takes all morning. They put you in a room filled with other people doing the same thing so you hear a loud roar of talking. Then they play loud music that is annoying casue you have to try and talk over all of it. At the end of it you are suppose to get coupons for discounts for excursions but we didn't get that either. All in all, I won't stay there again.

3 Thank Jacquie W
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Resort is nice, beach is nice, Alberto's beach bar is fantastic BUT the "time share folks" drove us a little nuts. You check in, then immediately get directed to a desk to "take a tour". I have been here before and have taken the tour. I was not interested then and I wasn't interested this time. I respect the fact that this is how they make commission, but they should have a way to mark if you have spent time at the resort before and have already taken the tour. I was told "play the game" and felt like I had to avoid the front area because the time share folks were always there. I was there to relax...no interest in time share. I love the resort, everyone works SO hard to accomodate, clean rooms, staff was amazing but twice was enough. I don't like feeling pressured while on vacation. Miguel and Francisco and always amazing...

5 Thank OKCSUNSHINE57
Baytown, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Even the rain couldn't stop everyone from enjoying a wonderful experience at OC Grand. It was my first experience there on recommendation from my travel agent and Boy did He Do Good!! Great Food, wonderful service, the activities and special events, movies really made this trip a success, only problem was the 7 days were over way too fast. Problem was the time share/vacation share people giving away stuff or doing special deals in "cash only" deals. Rip offs in the making - as a solo traveler I really do not understand when I said NO, I meant NO, being hassled even day by the OC people in doing a sales type event got to be a pain, and I didn't like that at all!!!

Room Tip: If you have health problems, recommend ground floor rooms - stairs slippery when wet! Don't pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Anita N
Nashville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was my second visit to the OC Grand and my sister's first -- and once again, it was so beautiful and relaxing. I would like to especially thank Miguel with First Club for his wonderful personality and the help he gave us every day. He made things so much easier for us with regard to reservations, car rental, etc. We were not bothered by the time share people, and my only real complaint is, once again, the hovering staff in the gift shop. I felt like I was being watched constantly when I went to the gift shop and it did not make for a leisurely shopping experience at all. I didn't like it last year and I definitely did not appreciate it this year. They need to relax their vigilance a little, lol.

The room was great, air condition worked perfectly, we had good beach drink service, and the food was pretty good (could get monotonous if you stay more than 5 days maybe). All the staff was very helpful.

We rented a car this time and went around the east side of the island and into town, which was well worth the money. The east side is so beautiful and different than we expected.

It rained some every day, but had plenty of sunshine to enjoy. We stayed mainly on the beach -- no problem getting chairs at all. Towels easily provided by the pool staff.

We did notice -- and this is no fault of the OC Grand --- that the majority of the other guests were not very friendly or outgoing. Some barely responded when we smiled and said hello. How can you be anything other than relaxed, friendly and happy when you're on vacation in such a beautiful spot?

I will definitely go back to OC Grand, and I'm sure my sister will too. Loved it! Very hard to get back into reality/work mode after being catered to for five days in paradise.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 17 -- close to the pools, not that far from everything in general. First floo...
6 Thank Faith F
Neosho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Now that we know what to expect, our next trip would be even better. The property is beautiful and the resort staff is very friendly. We just returned last night from a seven day stay and can't wait to go back. Since it was a low season, there weren't many other people there. We met several other groups or couples and became friends with several of them. The beach and pools hardly had anyone there, so we were always able to get seats and towels. The biggest surprise was the food and restaurant selection. We thought we could eat whenever we wanted, but found out that there are times when none of the restaurants were open. There was the buffet on the beach, the buffet at the front and then the two specialty restaurants. You had to read the flyer to determine which ones were open, some nights the buffet on the beach was it, others it was up front. We never made reservations for the specialty, but were able to walk right in. The dress code said no shirts for men, but some in our group went in shorts and was allowed. The buffet food was unusual, we had to try different things to find something we liked. Many days, I lived on French fries!! The alcoholic drinks flow very freely, and the staff at all if the bars are great to suggest different things to try. The first few days, the waiter came to the pool and the beach often to bring drinks, but after that we had to go to the bar ourselves. The disco was a lot of fun, especially on the karaoke night. We watched several of the evening shows, even tried out the salsa lesson. We especially loved the activity director, Suzanne! Considering there weren't many guests around to get activities going, Suzanne did an excellent job keeping everyone entertained! She rounded up people for horseshoes when my husband suggested it, got a fun game of beach volleyball going, and even made friendship bracelets with our group. She was super fun, and made the trip even better! The one drawback was the timeshare people...our travel agent warned us to avoid them, but upon our arrival at the resort we were greeted by Jaime, who was in a grand occidental shirt. He told us we had a welcome package for us after a brief tour of the grounds. Sounded like the hotel was going to show us around so we said ok. He asked for a ten dollar deposit that we would get back after the tour, so we did. He then handed us off to another guy that showed us the royal club side of things, the fancy rooms, the private pool and restaurant only for club members. We were told the tour would take 90 minutes, which turned into 2 and a half hours. The last straw was all of us in a room with other groups going over the pricing and learning why it's not a time share but a vacation club. We left, and were given a voucher for a percentage off an excursion or rental. Therest of our group stayed awhile longer, but were told we had their vouchers which we didn't. Jaime never returned the ten dollars, and instead gave a bottle of tequila to the guy that had paid the ten. When the guy asked for the ten back, Jaime said he had used it to buy him he tequila. It was very confusing that Jaime was not part of the hotel, since he had a desk there and was there most everyday. Now that we know what to expect, how the schedule works, and who to listen to, we would definitely return! I wish we could've stayed longer, 7 days was not enough time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tina F
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We just spend labor day week at the Grand, it was our 12th stay and second this year having taken the grand kids diving in June. As always the staff is hard working and willing to help, the grounds are beautiful, the dive shop folks are special, the only weakness continues to be the food selection, it is very monotonous at the buffet, the same food, with little change. The look out is that I learned that the hotel plans to change from Dive Palancar and that will me a big mistake and will make me find a new hotel. They were at the Allegro and then the Grand and I keep going back for them, not the hotel as there are others available. Most people I dive with are repeaters, I have 132 dives there and a fellow I dove with has 87 just this year.
Hope the people in Spain at the Occidental headquarters don't make this mistake!

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors, the first floor rooms flood when heavy rains fall!
3 Thank hdiaz4