“Fantastic vacation - all we could want and more!”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We got back a week ago and I can honestly say this resort was an absolute delight start to finish. The Kids Club - and Susanna who runs it - is terrific. Kids Club starts at 10:00 at the activity pool; continues for lunch if wanted, and at 2:00 Susanna rounds up all the kids and takes them to the play house out of the sun. From 2 to 5 is parents time and did we take advantage of that! Snorkeling, sailing, lying on the beach beds, trip into town...

We would also recommend booking the sunset dinner on the beach for two. For $107 pp, my husband and I had a multicourse lobster dinner, two bottles of champagne, red wine, flaming mayan coffees, music, dancing for just the two of us. A wonderful, special, romantic way to spend an evening.

We enjoyed everything about this resort, the people, entertainment, activities, buffets, drinks. We had 3 criteria when booking: smallish resort, abundant nature, and a great kids club. We were well satisfied on all 3 counts, and a multitude more, Thank you Grand Cozumel staff for a wonderful trip.

1  Thank Mamasito

Reviewed 21 April 2009

first of all, the wait staff who welcome you to the hotel and check you in seemed to have a second job unrelated to welcoming or helping their guests. i'm not sure what it was, but it certainly kept them occupied. they were rude, slow, and somewhat conceited. from there it was on to be bombarded by the sales people. it is necessary to walk by these people every time you enter one of the main restaurants or have to go to the front lobby. on another note, i believe they begin moving furniture around 7:15 am in the suites. they are built similar to an echo chamber, so getting sleep after this point is nearly impossible. a pet peeve of mine at the buffet's was plate placement. this sounds small, but the lines were long and the only plates at each buffet were in the middle of the line. i'm not sure why this was...maybe to deter people from getting multiple plates. the fruits and vegetables were delicious and the wait staff in the restaurant were very good. the beach was also very good. i hope this helps everyone, but more so i hope it helps the occidental improve.

Reviewed 19 April 2009

My family( 2 teens 13& 16 girls and my husband and I) stayed in Cozumel 7 nights April 2-8. This is my first time writting a review for trip Advisor. I have never been dissapointed using Trip Advisor to guide me selecting vacation destinations, hotels and excursions. My turn to repay the favor and tell you about our trip to Cozumel, staying at the Occidental Grande, all inclusive. It's short comings are on the little things which are just a little annoying. Occidental does the important things very well. The grounds are well maintained, although the fountains were often dry and not running. The beach is cleanly raked daily, and we always found an umbrella and lounges at the beach. We did get up at 7 am to secure an Ocean front, end of row grouping...it's what you do.There are 5 canopy double beds with cotton curtains on the beach which provided shade in the heat of the day (and a little naughty night activity...yeah, I admit it!) The sea front pool could be larger, but it served the number of swimmers well enough. The smaller private pool is always available, and is quiet and shady. The birds sing/caw all day and are loud at night...very tropical...loved it! Never saw a tarantula...really tried to find one...but a lady in building #20 did when her shirt blew off the balcony She retrived it off a bush and threw it over her shoulder. She didn't know the Tarantula was clinging to her shirt till she went in the bathroom to brush her teeth and saw it in the mirror!!

The food was plentiful, flavorful and offered both authentic mexican and american standard fare. A little to much msg in the skirt/flank steaks. I had an allergic reaction to either the steak or the sliced & marinated cactus ,because an hour after eating , my right foot, ankle and calf swelled 2-3 times in size. I was very alarmed! Didn't have any Benyldryl, took a couple of anti-inflams and it was normal by morning...I skipped the meat & cactus the rest of the trip! The shrimp & seafood also fresh and very flavorful. The fruit was always excellent as was the homemade ice creams...yum! Walked south down the Beach to Albertos for a great lobster and shrimp dinner. My two teens loved it as did my husband. If you order the lobster, ask the waiter to show it to you and get the price for that lobster.

Went ATV riding and did SNUBA. Loved ATV...is was hot, fast, dirty, sweaty and a hell of a lot of fun. SNUBA is cool and the kids loved it...i wanted to see more fish, but I am spoiled having been to Tahiti...you will see plenty of fish and a lobster or two at Chunnkanaub (sp?) Park....stay all day and get a lounge at the end of the beach by a private lagoon. Climb the lifeguard tower and take pictures ...beautiful!! MUST rent a jeep and tour the entire Island and city of San Miguel. Miles of breath taking beaches, coral, blow holes, crashing surf...God's perfection. Stop at Coconuts on the cliff top for lunch or dinner...good food Great View, cold beer! Shop, shop ,shop negotiate everything. Teach your kids how and let them have fun buying a few souvenirs.

Our rooms were clean, pretty and large enough. NOT enough drawer space, i hung almost all of my clothes. I needed fewer dressier outfits, and could have used a couple of long sleeve tees or sweater for the evening. I always bring a suitcase filled with children/ teen/ adult sized clothes,, toys, candy, purses, backpacks etc....which i bring to GIVE AWAY to hotel staffers who serve me. I always left a note "For house keeping...gracias...The Brown Family, Baltimore MD....with a hand full of candy and some cothes & trinkets. The maids aalways left me extra water, made the coolist "towel art" for our rooms every day in appreciation. I also gave items away to bellman and front desk staff when they aided me. The people are very poor and work very hard to PLEASE US TOURISTS. They are very, very grateful for a few dollars and these gifts which I would give to Salvation Army or other charities. And when I have emptied out the gift suitcase...it is used to pack all the souviners for our return home. I also take bubble wrap cause I always buy Mexican pottery.

So go to Cozumel. Enjoy The Occidental Grande. Tour the beautiful Island. Buy silver, pottery and other authentic crafts. Eat & drink all you can....Bonita!

2  Thank The-Travel-Doll
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Background: from NJ, two kids 9 and 3 and we are fussy about food. Not Royal Club here so this is a review for the simple people like us! We have been to all-inclusives in Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic. We stayed at the OCG from April 11-18. Hotel was 80% occupied.
Check In: fast and easy. Ivan found us the perfect room - in the middle of the resort but toward the back, 3rd floor for the quiet factor. There are 35 steps to the 3rd floor so be prepared!
Room: Spacious and clean. The beds ARE firm - but I find them more comfortable that way. The bathroom is gorgeous and the shower and bath are separate which is great with 2 kids. Little one in the bath while the big one showers! TIP: keep the air as low as it will go temp-wise and on high fan. The room does not get that cool though but it takes out the musty smell. There is a sulfur smell to the water at first in the bathroom (this is due to mineral content in the water - NOT sewer- and those of us from rural areas in the US are used to this but city people aren't!).
Maid service: decent. needed to ask for more towels and she kept forgetting the coffee but she made cute towel animals that the kids loved!
Grounds: gorgeous, no doubt about that. it's a walk between the ocean and the lobby but you eat a lot so the walk does you good. Be prepared for (harmless) tarantulas, lots of huge iguanas and a few snakes. Fountains abound. Very relaxing and well kept, very clean.
Pools - Activities pool is clean and really nice but should be larger. there is also a no activities relax pool that didn't get used much. the people complaining about the activities should have been at that pool! Plenty of chairs and umbrellas.
Beach - fairly crowded with chairs and lots of 'hut umbrellas'. No chair game needed so you can sleep in and still get some shade. The beach is fairly narrow. Water can be murky in April (it was for our first 5 days) as the cold fronts come in up the coast.
Activities - fantastic staff! Activities all day at the pool - water aerobics, water polo, pool volleyball, trivia, spanish and cooking lessons, etc. Yanuario and Sandra make sure you enjoy your time there. Night time activities are really nice family-friendly shows that are done by 10 pm - great for families. We also used the kayaks and Hobie Cats and Romero at the dive club was very helpful and patient with us. Plenty of life jackets too which is great for the kids in the ocean. Fitness Center was standard - and not hot.
Kids Club - There is a wonderful kids club but if you want your children to sit inside all day and play video games then go to Jamaica. The reason others think the club is not open is that Susana waits until 9:30 or so and then takes the kids outside and down to the pool. They play water polo and volleyball in the pool, soccer and kickball at the beach, snorkel lessons in the pool, spanish lessons. At 1 pm, she takes the kids into the Beach club buffet and has lunch with them - no throwing the kids a hot dog and french fries. They eat what they want with Susana at their table and their families nearby. At 2 pm, they go to kids club in the afternoon (when it is REALLY hot out) and do arts and crafts and play games. My daughter decorated a T shirt, made beaded animals and friendship bracelets. They have time to play on the nice playground also before heading back to the pools and family at 5 pm. My 9 year had a ball and made friends too!
Food - We only ate at the buffets as the restaurants were too difficult with 2 kids. The food on the buffets is plentiful, always hot, replenished constantly and a there's nice variety. Theme every night at dinner such as mexican (of course), Ycatan, Mediterrean, international, gala. The seafood wasn't the best but the fish and meat were incredible. Salads and fruit are all over, lots of great desserts. Fresh made omelets at breakfast. Lunch buffet is a bit recycled from dinner, but if you want them to throw tons of food away, you will pay a heck of a lot more. We enjoyed every meal and our girls tried all sorts of new foods. Our only complaint echoes what others have said: inside the Buffet restaurant for breakfast and dinner IS HOT. There is A/C so you have to strategically find the cooler areas to sit. There are always tablecloths and cloth napkins, a nice touch.
Service - phenomenal. whoever has a problem with the food service staff must have treated them badly. we met the kindest people who went out of their way to help us at every meal. Look for Landy, Raul, Carlos, Adrian, Miriam and Floricel. These kind people made sure that my family had everything we needed to be comfortable at every meal and did it with pleasure. A real change for us from Dom Rep and Jamaica where asking for a spoon was like asking for the world.
Check out- quick, simple and SAD. We hated to leave. This is the first place we will definitely return to.

4  Thank Mom22NJ
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed at the Royal Club which is their deluxe accomodation. Huge rooms, nicely appointed, with balconies and every comfort. The site is lovely with a long clean beach and lots of water sports. It was a bit windy during our week which was not good for snorkeling but very good for sailing. The site is very well laid out and, although the resort was fully booked, we never felt we were in a crowd. That includes the restaurants which serve a wide variety of foods. An important feature for us was the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. They made you feel welcome as if in their homes. Nelly Baas, the manager of the Royal Club, in particular, made sure everything was done with a little extra care and attention. Great value.

Reviewed 15 April 2009

I have been to this resort about the past 10 times. If you are into Scuba...you wont find much better- the wall dives along with the caves are beautiful. Also the resort itself is very nice. You are never on top of everyone else because of the way it is set up. Vacationers are set up in one of about 24 bldgs (so its not all in one complex). If you choose to party, live it up and party! If you choose to relax, it is also set up to do so. The people who work there are a true pleasure to be around. I've never seen such hard working and happy people. They make that resort stand out from all others...I actually keep in touch with some via e-mail...they are my family away from home.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank cwendypave
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Outstanding all-inclusive resort. The food was tremendous and the service was top-notch. Close proximity to the best reefs in Cozumel made this an perfect diving/snorkeling destination, but the food and accomodations also made for a great relaxing, romantic getaway.