Occidental Cozumel
Allegro Cozumel(Cozumel)
  • Pool
  • Pool
5,284 results
All reviewsroyal clublos olivosstayed at the occidental grandsonora grillspecialty restaurantsdive shopdive palancarfishthe mediterranean restaurantfirst clubquiet poolstayed in buildingbeach restaurantpizza placelobby bargrounds are beautifulactivity pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Week away from home. Thanks to the entertainment staff for keeping us amused, to Freddy at the bar, and Crystal who walked miles each and everyday serving drinks to all. Service was for the most part very good. Food in the Los Olivos was spectacular. The cleaning staff always had our room made up before noon, and did an excellent job. There was some maintenance going on, but it needs to be done sometime and really wasn't a great inconvenience. There was absolutely no language barrier to contend with, even if some staff did not speak english fluently communication was good. Managed to avoid time share presentation, but a pleasant no thank you was all it took. Love to go back and hope things are just as good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank canucktravellers2
Reviewed 23 April 2009

When making arrangements for our family trip to Cozumel (first time), we were very upbeat and excited. However, since the very first day of being there our enthusiasm started to decline, and by the end of our stay, we could not wait to get out of this place.
Service in reastaurants is extremely, ridiculously slow. Considering that this is a buffet, and guests are taking food on their plates themsleves, the only task of waiter is show you to your table, sit you down and bring you a drink. How long do you think it takes their waiter to bring you a glass of water? About 25-30 minutes, - even when the restaurant is practically empty! So, you start eating their food "dry", without even being able to take a sip of water or wine until the middle or even the end of your dinner. Eventually, we started bringing our own water bottles to the restaurant,
Next thing - fumigation. Beautiful evening. Children are playing around the pool. Adults enjoy the view of sunset. Suddenly, with loud noise, some machine starts blowing terrible smelling fumes above our heads and directly to us. Everybody ran from the pool and beach area, covering their noses. When complaint was mage to the manager of hotel, it was dismissed:" THese fumes are not harmful to humans, don't worry. We have to use them against bugs". The simple idea of informing guests and advising them to leave fumigatied areas never entered administrator's mind.
But the worst happened when we were packing to leave back home.. We realized that our bag with warm clothes (jackets, overcoats, long pants) dissapeared from our room!
It was obviously stolen by one of cleaning or maintenance personal, - nobody else entered our room, and we were always locking the door. When we asked to call the police, administration refused, stating that they "need to investigate first". This "investigation" consisted of two security officers puicking into every corner and closet of our room, ro make sure that we did not misplace our bag, and checking the lock, to make sure it was not broken. After they concluded their "investigation", manager Ricardo Torres (the most rude and unpleasant manager I have met in any hotel) said that they can not do anything for me, can not even provide me with the copy of their report, and if I want a report, I have to take a cab, go to downtown police precinct, and report the case to them. It was about two hours before we were supposed to leave for the airport, and going to police precinct meant missing our plane. No help or apologies was offered ny the administration at any time.
So. after we got back to New York in our shorts and sandals (all the travel clothes was in the stolen bag), I wrote e-mail to Occidental Hotels central office. I expected at least some kind of apology and offer of compensation for the lost property.
However, the answer was in-line with all the previous experiences: "Dear Sir, You did not make a police report about your stolen property, and therefore Hotel is not responsible. Sorry for incovenience."
I dso not want to spend any more nervous energy on this terrible place, - prefer to forget it like a nightmare.
I just wanted to warn others, so nobody would make a mistake of going to Occidental Grand Cozumel.

2  Thank DrLeo1957
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We got back a week ago and I can honestly say this resort was an absolute delight start to finish. The Kids Club - and Susanna who runs it - is terrific. Kids Club starts at 10:00 at the activity pool; continues for lunch if wanted, and at 2:00 Susanna rounds up all the kids and takes them to the play house out of the sun. From 2 to 5 is parents time and did we take advantage of that! Snorkeling, sailing, lying on the beach beds, trip into town...

We would also recommend booking the sunset dinner on the beach for two. For $107 pp, my husband and I had a multicourse lobster dinner, two bottles of champagne, red wine, flaming mayan coffees, music, dancing for just the two of us. A wonderful, special, romantic way to spend an evening.

We enjoyed everything about this resort, the people, entertainment, activities, buffets, drinks. We had 3 criteria when booking: smallish resort, abundant nature, and a great kids club. We were well satisfied on all 3 counts, and a multitude more, Thank you Grand Cozumel staff for a wonderful trip.

1  Thank Mamasito
Reviewed 21 April 2009

first of all, the wait staff who welcome you to the hotel and check you in seemed to have a second job unrelated to welcoming or helping their guests. i'm not sure what it was, but it certainly kept them occupied. they were rude, slow, and somewhat conceited. from there it was on to be bombarded by the sales people. it is necessary to walk by these people every time you enter one of the main restaurants or have to go to the front lobby. on another note, i believe they begin moving furniture around 7:15 am in the suites. they are built similar to an echo chamber, so getting sleep after this point is nearly impossible. a pet peeve of mine at the buffet's was plate placement. this sounds small, but the lines were long and the only plates at each buffet were in the middle of the line. i'm not sure why this was...maybe to deter people from getting multiple plates. the fruits and vegetables were delicious and the wait staff in the restaurant were very good. the beach was also very good. i hope this helps everyone, but more so i hope it helps the occidental improve.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2009

My family( 2 teens 13& 16 girls and my husband and I) stayed in Cozumel 7 nights April 2-8. This is my first time writting a review for trip Advisor. I have never been dissapointed using Trip Advisor to guide me selecting vacation destinations, hotels and excursions. My turn to repay the favor and tell you about our trip to Cozumel, staying at the Occidental Grande, all inclusive. It's short comings are on the little things which are just a little annoying. Occidental does the important things very well. The grounds are well maintained, although the fountains were often dry and not running. The beach is cleanly raked daily, and we always found an umbrella and lounges at the beach. We did get up at 7 am to secure an Ocean front, end of row grouping...it's what you do.There are 5 canopy double beds with cotton curtains on the beach which provided shade in the heat of the day (and a little naughty night activity...yeah, I admit it!) The sea front pool could be larger, but it served the number of swimmers well enough. The smaller private pool is always available, and is quiet and shady. The birds sing/caw all day and are loud at night...very tropical...loved it! Never saw a tarantula...really tried to find one...but a lady in building #20 did when her shirt blew off the balcony She retrived it off a bush and threw it over her shoulder. She didn't know the Tarantula was clinging to her shirt till she went in the bathroom to brush her teeth and saw it in the mirror!!

The food was plentiful, flavorful and offered both authentic mexican and american standard fare. A little to much msg in the skirt/flank steaks. I had an allergic reaction to either the steak or the sliced & marinated cactus ,because an hour after eating , my right foot, ankle and calf swelled 2-3 times in size. I was very alarmed! Didn't have any Benyldryl, took a couple of anti-inflams and it was normal by morning...I skipped the meat & cactus the rest of the trip! The shrimp & seafood also fresh and very flavorful. The fruit was always excellent as was the homemade ice creams...yum! Walked south down the Beach to Albertos for a great lobster and shrimp dinner. My two teens loved it as did my husband. If you order the lobster, ask the waiter to show it to you and get the price for that lobster.

Went ATV riding and did SNUBA. Loved ATV...is was hot, fast, dirty, sweaty and a hell of a lot of fun. SNUBA is cool and the kids loved it...i wanted to see more fish, but I am spoiled having been to Tahiti...you will see plenty of fish and a lobster or two at Chunnkanaub (sp?) Park....stay all day and get a lounge at the end of the beach by a private lagoon. Climb the lifeguard tower and take pictures ...beautiful!! MUST rent a jeep and tour the entire Island and city of San Miguel. Miles of breath taking beaches, coral, blow holes, crashing surf...God's perfection. Stop at Coconuts on the cliff top for lunch or dinner...good food Great View, cold beer! Shop, shop ,shop negotiate everything. Teach your kids how and let them have fun buying a few souvenirs.

Our rooms were clean, pretty and large enough. NOT enough drawer space, i hung almost all of my clothes. I needed fewer dressier outfits, and could have used a couple of long sleeve tees or sweater for the evening. I always bring a suitcase filled with children/ teen/ adult sized clothes,, toys, candy, purses, backpacks etc....which i bring to GIVE AWAY to hotel staffers who serve me. I always left a note "For house keeping...gracias...The Brown Family, Baltimore MD....with a hand full of candy and some cothes & trinkets. The maids aalways left me extra water, made the coolist "towel art" for our rooms every day in appreciation. I also gave items away to bellman and front desk staff when they aided me. The people are very poor and work very hard to PLEASE US TOURISTS. They are very, very grateful for a few dollars and these gifts which I would give to Salvation Army or other charities. And when I have emptied out the gift suitcase...it is used to pack all the souviners for our return home. I also take bubble wrap cause I always buy Mexican pottery.

So go to Cozumel. Enjoy The Occidental Grande. Tour the beautiful Island. Buy silver, pottery and other authentic crafts. Eat & drink all you can....Bonita!

2  Thank The-Travel-Doll