“Convenient, comfortable, and excellent value for your pesos!”
Review of Suites Colonial

Suites Colonial
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We booked our room online in advance, which was convenient. Upon arriving, the registration process went extremely smoothly even though we had an extra person than we had indicated on the online form. The room was clean and roomy, and the location was extremely convenient: walking distance to the pier, dive shops, restaurants, bank, etc.

I know that some people had complained about the noise. We never had a problem with this, and I'm not sure if it was because of our room location (2nd floor nearest to the center plaza) or the fact that we usually ran the air conditioner at bedtime and any outside noise was drowned out. The internet and the cable TV were working fine in our room--in fact it was the most reliable internet we've had in a total of four months of travelling in Mexico over the last three years. Also, the pleasant five minute walk to the Casa Mexicana was totally worth it to enjoy the delicious breakfast buffet in the mornings!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to folks who do not require an all-inclusive, and prefer to seek out their own dining experiences and activities while in Cozumel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank IMHOcanadian

Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 10 day stay at the suites colonial. It is located pretty much on the "square" downtown in a very safe and fairly quiet spot. The only noise is from the many restaurants and few bars within walking distance from the hotel that had live bands some evenings. You can't hear the noise in your room. The breakfast is great, price is great, hotel is kept very clean. The only complaint is the beds were a little hard. We rented a scooter from a local vendor for $20 a day and went to all locations on the island. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know. We went to dinner off the main drag each night an didn't spend over $12 total for 2 people each evening.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank RMfromSBA
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Our family of eight stayed here for a week over Christmas. We got four rooms so all couples could have private rooms and all kids could have their own bed. Got an amazing price booking a package deal.

Minor problems at check-in were quickly corrected. I had reserved a suite and was put in a standard room. As soon as I told the desk, they promptly switched me. The desk did not have my daughter's reservation, but have her a room anyway and said they would find the reservation the next day.

The hotel was clean, had a great breakfast a short walk away,was in walking distance to countless restaurants & shops. Taxi service was close by and provided easy access to beaches.

Our room had a safe, which required a $50 deposit for the key. The rest of the family was in standard rooms. Their rooms did not have safes, but ours was large enough to hold everyone's passports, wallets, and cell phones.

The room was simply furnished. AC worked fine and WIFI worked well from my room. We stayed in a suite. Consisted of a bedroom with 2 beds, bathroom, kitchen (with fridge, stovetop, sink, and basic dishes/pots), and sitting room with 2 seat couch, table, w/ 4 chairs, and a fold up bed.

Bar noise did not bother us. We asked for a room away from the bar, and were put in 201. We brought earplugs, but never needed them. In fact, I I only heard the music one night and that was from the bathroom. Never heard it in the bedroom with the AC running.

We enjoyed the breakfast at Casa Mexicana each morning. Suites Colonial gave us wristbands at check-in we were supposed to wear for breakfast. We carried them with us the first day, but never needed them. We just told the man our room number and he checked us off on his list. We carried our snorkel gear to breakfast each day and then caught a cab outside Casa Mexicana to the beach.

I had taken a photo of taxis prices when we got off the ferry, to be prepared for our daily beach excursions. We wanted to spend a day at Punta Sur, but I didn't understand the taxi sign. As the front desk for help. They translated the sign for me and then searched phone books and tried numerous numbers until they reached someone at the taxi office to get more info.

A word of caution: the tile floors and hallways are very slippery when wet. We had heavy rains one night and my husband took a nasty fall. Wear shoes with good traction when it rains. I was fine in Keens.

Why very good and not excellent? Really it was close to an excellent for a budget place. Two small things lacking: cream for the lobby coffee and seating in our suite. I expected a couple more chairs in our room. Looking back. considering how helpful the staff was, I bet if I had requested either, they would have made it happen.

No kids activities per se at this place. It was a clean bed for a do it your self vacation style. We traveled with teenagers. They were fine here. Enjoyed the wifi.
Sleep quality: I recently went to a bed bug training at work, so when we arrived, I checked the mattresses. Not only no one of bed bugs, but mattresses looked new.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank bsgro
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I've stayed in Suites Colonial many times over the past years being a frequent Cozumel visitor. I have friends and family on the island, so I rarely consider all-inclusives. I'd rather stay in a less expensive downtown property, and Suites Colonial has been a good standard over the years.
It's clean and has a real Mexican polished wood and tile look to it. Centrally located just off of the main square and trimmed with flowers and bourgonvilias. There's no pool or special facilities, but for the price you can be sure of a clean place that will include a free breakfast at Casa Mexicana, it's sister (more upscale property) a few blocks away.
The rooms are quite large, so will accommodate a family of 4.
On my last visit I felt that the bathrooms could use a bit of an upgrade. They have shower stalls, no bath which is not uncommon in Mexico anyway.
The one downside was the Restaurant/Bar next door - a great place to eat and hang out but they do have live music a few times a week so if you are planning an early night when staying at Suites Colonial you might get frustrated as the noise carries quite a bit.
I have also written a review on Suites Bahia, which is owned by the same people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest away from AMbar next door.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank valerievancouver
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed at Colonial March 23 thru 30th,my room was clean with a double and single bed.The room also had a full size fridge,hot water and good water pressure.The air cond, was good but loud and had to turn off while watching TV.Reception and front desk were friendly and maids did a nice job cleaning up the room.
Now the bat part,on thurs,friday and sat nights a band plays at Pirates bar across the street from midnight till about 3am.and there is really no way to sleep.I am not a light sleeper but the band sounded just like it was in the next room.I would stay there again if if I could miss thse 3 nights.I think I will go back to the Bahia which is owned by the same group but is much more quiet.
The breakfast served at Casa Mexicana is one of the best in Cozumel.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank newt72
Reviewed 6 February 2009

Colonial Suites gets a good review in the Moon guide, but I would suggest you look elsewhere. The folks were polite enough, the rooms were clean BUT there was a bar that kept next door that kept going until 4 a.m.! I ran the old air conditioner to block the noise but still, it was bad.

The hotel hasn't had any updates for years. I would guess it's been 20 years or so.

They say there is wireless. There isn't. They say there is continental breakfast. There isn't. You can walk to another hotel for breakfast but I never did.

You can do better.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gringa04915
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel in July 2008. We were checking into a Villa for a week and just needed a place to stay for the night. We picked this hotel due to it's location which is close to some of our favorite places in Cozumel. It was just what I expected from the reviews on this site. Our room and bathroom were clean. Nothing fancy but that is not what we were looking for. Check in was very quick and easy. The elevator was a little scary, so we took the stairs ! They had a band at the bar across the street which got started around 11:00 pm and went until around 4:00 am. It was very loud but the air conditioner in the room seemed to be louder most of the time, so it really did not bother us too much! We had a great nights stay here. I would recommend it for someone looking for just a night or two like we were looking for and want a great price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple