“A Home from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“A Home from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

What can I say....?
Jorge was amazing and made my stay just one of the best ever! Thank you Jorge! :)
I would say that his place is one of the most original dwellings that exists on Cozumel. For the ten nights that I stayed, I just loved every minute of it!
It really was a home from home, and he's a very friendly relaxed chap, and can give great advise on anything about the island.
The Breakfast in the morning was just fantastic, and was never the same with great variety and early enough if you are diving on the island.
My room was spotless every day that I came back to it and to be honest, the photos do not do the room justice. Probably one of the best rooms I've stayed in for character and charm.
I know if I was ever to go back to Cozumel Then Amaranto would be THE only place I would stay!
Thanks again Jorge!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Aaron B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at Amaranto for 9 days in early July and had a wonderful experience. Jorge (the owner) is a wonderful person, full of lively conversation as well as helpful tips! Manuela who cleans the rooms and prepares breakfast is a lovely lady.

I stayed in the penthouse, which is the top floor of the tower and is a very spacious room. It easily sleeps 4 people but i had it all to myself :). The open air concept of the room was just what I wanted, and even with no air conditioning the room never felt hot due to the air flow and very high roof. The ladder to the roof lookout is a nice touch and gives a great view in 4 directions of the town of San Miguel. My fridge wasn't working when I got there, and within hours Jorge had already replaced my fridge with a brand new one. He goes above an beyond to ensure his guests are safe and happy. As a female who often travels alone, I will be back to Amaranto any chance I get.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Margot C
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Amaranto B&B has an incredible rustic elegance. I stayed here for 4 nights in a bungalow on the main level at the back and it was a truly unique space. I loved the open air shower with the sun beaming down on me and all the little details, like the hammock and the high thatched roof and ceiling fan and decorative art pieces. When I came back from my morning dives and opened the door to the bungalow, the air inside was much cooler because the thatched roof had openings to let the hot air out and the ceiling fan circulated the air. There was an air conditioner in the bungalow, but I turned it off when I left to conserve energy. The bed was a massive king size and could easily fit 5 of me! It was very comfortable for me because I like my beds on the hard side. Having a microwave and kitchenette in the room was great because I often could not finish my meals and brought them back to keep in the fridge until I was hungry again. As a diver, having a rinse sink in the patio and a covered area to hang my wetsuit was very helpful. Jorge (pronounced Hore-hey) was a delight to talk to. He's well read, well traveled and cheerful. I loved his sweet dog as well. One thing to take into consideration is, since the bungalows are not completely air tight, make sure you bring insect repellent. But don't worry, there's a mosquito net that completely covers the entire bed and then some. The breakfasts are great thanks to Manuela. The B&B is in a great location. Just a few minutes walk to the waterfront and there's nice restaurants and a spa (get a massage here - trust me!). I traveled as a solo female and felt completely safe. The locals were so gracious, always greeting me as I passed. I did hear some dogs barking as other reviewers mentioned, but it was during the day and when the AC and ceiling fan was on, you could hardly hear any outside noise at all. Thank-you Jorge for making my stay so lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a unique place less than a 10 minute walk from the waterfront of San Jose. Very safe. Very quiet. The owner is a wonderful man, who was very helpful, easy to talk to, and informative. He speaks Spanish, English, and French so a number of internationals stay there. Breakfast was local foods and good. Only downside was every thing is made of concrete including the bed platform which was hard. The steps to our room were very steep and curving and at the end of a long day, a bit of a challenge for me. Never thought I'd say this, but I missed padded furniture. The furniture was very attractive leather and wood pieces, but nothing was upholstered. I missed having a comfy chair to curl up in to read after a day of beaching and snorkeling.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ground level. They are separate units...round concrete huts with pointed reed...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank arfinfall
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I loved everything about Amaranto. It's a cozy, charming, and affordable place to stay in Cozumel. The owner was very quick to answer to my last minute reservation request, as well as my following e-mails. The room was comfy, spacious, and clean (loved having a hammock in suite!). Towels and sheets were changed every day. Breakfast was tasty. The decor was quite unique.
The internet didn't work in the rooms, but you can always head to the main area, which has plugs if you need one.
I will definitely stay at Amaranto again in my next trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Darien, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Amaranto Bed and Breakfast was incredible, comfortable, relaxing. My boyfriend and I stayed with Jorge for a week and had a wonderful time in Cozumel. The breakfast was always tasty authentic food and the room is beautiful and super clean. Definitely made our trip! Jorge the owner so helpful with recommendations. If you are looking for the perfect place to stay, experience Mexican culture and real people this is the place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank funofittoo
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed for a week in a suite which is part of the thatched tower at the front of the property. Lovely room with quirky decoration, lots of room and an eclectic mix of furniture. Arrived early as Mayair moved me onto an earlier flight so nobody in when I got there but a mobile was hanging on the gate and Jorge arrived about 20 mins later which was fine.

Bed very comfortable, room was nice and cool, good hot shower and lovely breakfasts prepared each morning, As we were diving early mornings there was no problem getting an early breakfast and a different dish each day - fresh fruit, good coffee and juice and local cooking for the hot dish.

Jorge was helpful with recommending good local restaurants and there were places to hang washing or dive kit to dry, a small pool and a cool lobby with good wi-fi to relax in.

Only small negatives are related to the location which could be an issue for some people. The dogs on the roof next door were very yappy from very early in the morning so ear plugs are necessary if you are a light sleeper. Clearly this is not the fault of Jorge but just something to consider. On the other hand the tune played by the gas van doing early morning deliveries is hilarious (until you start singing it because you have heard it 30 times!)

Highly recommended especially if you are the kind of person who wants to meet the locals, stay somewhere small and authentic and feel like you are in the real San Miguel de Cozumel. Great value too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple