“I would not choose to stay here again.”

Amaranto Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 25 Cozumel B&B and Inns
Ferrisburg, Vermont
“I would not choose to stay here again.”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I selected this place because it looked quaint and the reviews were so good. I much prefer to stay in something like this vs an american style hotel. Unfortunately our experience didn't measure up. We arrived and immediately wanted to move to another place (but didn't). The bungalow was cute, but was hot and stuffy, which is understandable as there is no point in running the AC when it's empty. But, we were three people and the xtra bed was in this alcove that had no way for air to flow. There was an incredibly loud fan that helped, but I felt bad for my friend that had to sleep in there. There is practically nowhere to put your clothes and no bureau or closet. Even some luggage racks would be helpful. Also some more hooks or towel racks would be nice in the bathroom! I'm not looking for luxury accommodations as Jorge makes it clear that this isn't that, but some inexpensive additions as I mentioned would be make staying there easier. There is a pool only big enough to sit in, but the water was green and didn't look in the least bit inviting. It would have been nice to have some area to sit comfortably in the common area to relax and enjoy the sun.

We did not find Jorge to be particularly friendly, though he certainly wasn't unfriendly. Based on the reviews I was expecting a more personable person. Maybe he just didn't like us or was preoccupied while we were there.

We didn't bring beach towels with us and we got them from there, but they wanted to charge $10 each to use for 3 days! He agreed to a more reasonable price, but that's crazy. The place we stayed at in Playa (Luna Blue, which was great and not fancy either!) asked for a $10 deposit and when you return it, you get your $10 back, which seems very reasonable. They even washed it in between.

It's in a convenient location and it's cute and safe. I wouldn't say it's bad, but I wouldn't choose to stay there again. We didn't have problems with mosquitoes in early March.

I don't know about other rooms, but the king bed was the hardest bed I've ever slept on. I personally like hard beds and was ok with this, but it's good for people to know.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2, but I can't say anything about any of the other rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cjbblue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at Amaranto several times and it always feels like my home away from home. Jorge and Manuela are wonderful, make sure that they take care of everything you need and greet you with smiles. The rooms are spacious, fridges in every room and a short walk to the Main Street for shopping and restaurants. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay. Quiet and cozy. Breakfast is not included.

Service is good. Wifi only in the Lobby. Beware of Mosquitos. The owner is really nice and friendly. All to all - a good experience. Really safe.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

What can I say....?
Jorge was amazing and made my stay just one of the best ever! Thank you Jorge! :)
I would say that his place is one of the most original dwellings that exists on Cozumel. For the ten nights that I stayed, I just loved every minute of it!
It really was a home from home, and he's a very friendly relaxed chap, and can give great advise on anything about the island.
The Breakfast in the morning was just fantastic, and was never the same with great variety and early enough if you are diving on the island.
My room was spotless every day that I came back to it and to be honest, the photos do not do the room justice. Probably one of the best rooms I've stayed in for character and charm.
I know if I was ever to go back to Cozumel Then Amaranto would be THE only place I would stay!
Thanks again Jorge!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Aaron B
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at Amaranto for 9 days in early July and had a wonderful experience. Jorge (the owner) is a wonderful person, full of lively conversation as well as helpful tips! Manuela who cleans the rooms and prepares breakfast is a lovely lady.

I stayed in the penthouse, which is the top floor of the tower and is a very spacious room. It easily sleeps 4 people but i had it all to myself :). The open air concept of the room was just what I wanted, and even with no air conditioning the room never felt hot due to the air flow and very high roof. The ladder to the roof lookout is a nice touch and gives a great view in 4 directions of the town of San Miguel. My fridge wasn't working when I got there, and within hours Jorge had already replaced my fridge with a brand new one. He goes above an beyond to ensure his guests are safe and happy. As a female who often travels alone, I will be back to Amaranto any chance I get.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Margot C
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Amaranto B&B has an incredible rustic elegance. I stayed here for 4 nights in a bungalow on the main level at the back and it was a truly unique space. I loved the open air shower with the sun beaming down on me and all the little details, like the hammock and the high thatched roof and ceiling fan and decorative art pieces. When I came back from my morning dives and opened the door to the bungalow, the air inside was much cooler because the thatched roof had openings to let the hot air out and the ceiling fan circulated the air. There was an air conditioner in the bungalow, but I turned it off when I left to conserve energy. The bed was a massive king size and could easily fit 5 of me! It was very comfortable for me because I like my beds on the hard side. Having a microwave and kitchenette in the room was great because I often could not finish my meals and brought them back to keep in the fridge until I was hungry again. As a diver, having a rinse sink in the patio and a covered area to hang my wetsuit was very helpful. Jorge (pronounced Hore-hey) was a delight to talk to. He's well read, well traveled and cheerful. I loved his sweet dog as well. One thing to take into consideration is, since the bungalows are not completely air tight, make sure you bring insect repellent. But don't worry, there's a mosquito net that completely covers the entire bed and then some. The breakfasts are great thanks to Manuela. The B&B is in a great location. Just a few minutes walk to the waterfront and there's nice restaurants and a spa (get a massage here - trust me!). I traveled as a solo female and felt completely safe. The locals were so gracious, always greeting me as I passed. I did hear some dogs barking as other reviewers mentioned, but it was during the day and when the AC and ceiling fan was on, you could hardly hear any outside noise at all. Thank-you Jorge for making my stay so lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is a unique place less than a 10 minute walk from the waterfront of San Jose. Very safe. Very quiet. The owner is a wonderful man, who was very helpful, easy to talk to, and informative. He speaks Spanish, English, and French so a number of internationals stay there. Breakfast was local foods and good. Only downside was every thing is made of concrete including the bed platform which was hard. The steps to our room were very steep and curving and at the end of a long day, a bit of a challenge for me. Never thought I'd say this, but I missed padded furniture. The furniture was very attractive leather and wood pieces, but nothing was upholstered. I missed having a comfy chair to curl up in to read after a day of beaching and snorkeling.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ground level. They are separate units...round concrete huts with pointed reed...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple