“Didn't always feel like an all-inclusive” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive

Melia Cozumel Golf - All Inclusive
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Lake View, Iowa
“Didn't always feel like an all-inclusive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Check-in was smooth and quick although this is the first place I've ever had to give them my passport to copy upon check-in. Had to wear plastic bracelets, which I loathe. We had upgraded to ocean view and found out mid-stay that we had been upgraded again when we checked in, but we were unaware they had done that. Our room (1407) was on the top floor and included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot in the mini kitchen. The additional upgrade we received included green fees at the Cozumel Country Club. My husband had planned to play golf once anyway and was pleasantly surprised to find out his green fees were included in the upgrade. Wondered why they didn't mention this when we checked in.

The room was average, bathroom was small with little counter space. We had two standard beds rather than the king we requested but did not ask to be moved. The beds were hard and the pillows lumpy. There was not enough drawer space for clothes. The ocean view rooms have a spectacular view and as others have mentioned, the cruise ships pass by daily. Our television was old and they don't seem to have any cable. Just a few channels, most of which were Spanish language and reception was bad. Not that we watch a lot of television while on a nice vacation, but it is good to be able to tune in to a US channel to see what is going on in the States or maybe see a movie in English.

We have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in various countries and I have to say, the Melia certainly didn't feel like an all-inclusive at times. First, we always take along our insulated mugs for drinks at the beach. They keep the drinks cold and the sand out of the drink. They also cut down on plastic cup waste at the beach. We were told by the bartender at the pool bar on day one that his "boss didn't like him filling those cups." I explained we used them all the time at other places like the Riu or Dreams resorts and never had an issue. He understood but it was "his boss". It was also mentioned to another couple we were with when they went to fill their cups. The bartender said he would fill them because "his boss wasn't there". I don't know who the boss is, but he needs to rethink his attitude about the mugs. So much less waste of drinks and plastic cups with the mugs. Second, the mini-fridge included 2 each of Tecate, Coke, Diet Coke and water. We asked at the front desk about getting additional beers in our fridge and were told 2 per day is included but we would be charged $3 each for any additional we requested. We also asked about room service. The food is no additional charge, however, there is a $10 per trip room service charge. Also, we had a coffee pot in our room, but no coffee. I asked at the front desk about getting coffee for the pot and they sent a maid up with 2 packets of coffee, 1 caf and 1 decaf. The next day, same routine, had to ask at the front desk and coffee was brought up. On day 3 I left a note and tip for the housekeeper and after that I had a packet of coffee left each day when they cleaned the room.

BEACH MYTH: I have read different explanations for the "dirt" on the Melia beach, specifically that there is a tile outlet coming from the golf course that drains near the beach. I am including with my review a photo of the "dirt". This is not dirt, it is seaweed. I asked our Apple representative about it and he said when there is a northwest wind blowing, it creates this additional seaweed drift to the Melia beach. There were only a couple days where we experienced this seaweed flow during the week we stayed and indeed, there was a strong NW wind.

We stayed at the Melia during the last week of the "low season" and it was very quiet and probably only 40% occupied. On our last full day, there was a huge influx of people and we discovered it was a group of 200 cruisers who had purchased day-passes to the Melia. I've never heard of this but wondered if this was a standard practice for cruise stop resorts.

The food was average at best and there was not the variety I have seen at other AI resorts. The buffet had a theme night each evening - Oriental, Mexican, Spanish, Italian. If you are not a fan of a particular style of food, hopefully you had a reservation at the "nice" restaurant where you could get your choice of beef, seafood or poultry dishes.

I probably would not stay here again, but I do feel like for the price, it was a good value.

Excursion tip: try the Jeep tour which included stops at the Mayan ruins, tequila factory, East shore, lighthouse and crocodile watching. Was a very fun day! Hanndan was an excellent tour guide.

Room Tip: We were with a group of 3 other couples and all our rooms were different. Some were bigger and did...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank NatalieRM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed at Melia December 10th through the 14th. 2nd time to Coz this year. I should begin be saying how I spent about a month researching places to stay in Cozumel. For those of you reading this, this is probably what you are doing right now. As you progress through your research, make sure you are asking yourself questions with regards to "whats important to me". Some people want attention to detail, some people may be aiming for perfection, and others may just want the basics. It is important to not trick yourself out of the reality of where your staying..MEXICO. I love this country and all it has to offer. I booked an M Experience room primarily for the high floor, view, and square ft. It did not offer everything it said it would on the Melia's website.......and you know what...thats O.K. For example, I'm 6" 250lbs, and I knew before arriving, that the bathrobe in the closet wasn't going to be a XXL plush robe. Again, this is Mexico.. not Vegas. I've held hotels accountable for everything they say they will do for the price before, Bellagio, Wynn. If you carry the same attitude on this vacation, you will be disappointed. There are only a handful of hotels that would live up to these 5 star standards in the Rivera Maya and they have Vegas prices. The room was very clean and the housekeeping was great. Just leave 50 pesos on the bed each day for the maid, and they will treat you well. I know the website says "All Inclusive" "gratuity included", but again, lets fess up to reality. Tip your maid, tip the bartender, tip the bellman...it's just what you should do. You will notice the difference. Food was average, room safe worked well, and the beach was great. I brought my own sleeve of 16oz plastic cups and saved myself some trips to the bar, as they only use 10oz or 12oz cups. I did run into what I believe are "Sea Lice" or "Seabather's Eruption" (look it up on the web) when I was snorkeling on the beach. Didn't have it terribly bad, but noticeable on my arms. Never had it before, but didn't let it ruin my vacation. Next time I will bring that Sea Safe stuff. Finally, I sat on the beach and tried to brainstorm about all the bad reveiws for the Melia I read on this site. I compared them with the attitude I was carrying, and had trouble qualifying any of them. Remember, you can complain all you want to hotel staff, be mean, raise your voice.... and in the end when you walk away, they really don't care that much if at all because they know you can't do anything about it. That is just the way things are in Mexico. So with that said, accept it, relax, be nice, and enjoy your vacation. The Melia was great!

Room Tip: Jr. Suite and M Experience have the best view and most sq footage.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
23 Thank Hollebeats
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I booked this hotel for my first All-Inclusive vacation. The hotel website photos looked wonderful and it states there is WI-FI. The lobby is beautiful, the grounds look nice, and I had a ground floor room where I could walk out my sliding door and be just steps from the sand. The ocean view was spectacular! Unfortunately, those were the only good things I can say about the Melia Cozumel. My room smelled so horribly of mold that I ended up using my inhaler all night to breathe. The food was awful, both in the walk up restaurant and room service. And there is only WI-FI in the lobby area, not in any of the hotel rooms. Very disappointing experience. I stayed one night and then transferred to the Fiesta Americana for the remainder of my stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

I am writing this while sitting on the 10th floor balcony overlooking the Carribean Sea. It is about 80 degrees and the sun is shining with a warm breeze blowing by every few moments. This is truly a beautiful place to be, especially in December! However, I have mixed emotions about the accomodations that I chose for my family and me. I have to preface this by saying that I searched for probably about 2 months off and on to find just the right vacation for a great price. I found the Melia and for a bit more than the average room rate, I booked the "M experience" room, billed as the most exclusive rooms on the property. I must say that the room view is great, but unfortunately, it does not live up to its billing past that. There are several amenities that were attractive that caused me to go for the M experience room and spend the extra $. Some of which were: A 24/7 vacation assistant that will help us plan anything we want to do while we are here (it doesn't exist anymore); an M experience lounge just for the 2 floors of people that booked this type of room, to have hors' douvres and get special reservations to the restaurants (it is now locked and used only to store extra furniture); the welcome fruit basket sounded nice (it never showed up); mini bar in the room (consists of 2 cans of Tecate beer that are replenished daily if you're lucky); room service (at an extra charge); and robes (there was 1). I forgot to say there is free tennis after 6, except that the tennis court is not lighted and it is dark here by 6.

The worst part is that I went down and talked to the the front desk manager, Juan, who assured me they were going to make it right. If that consists of bringing up 2 more robes and having the maid lay out a plate consisting of 2 apples, a banana, 2 kumkwats(I think) and 5 grapes, then I guess the made it right. I didn't think that was adequate, so I stopped by and told him that I didn't think they were living up to their claim - "a supreme first class service and a selection of amenities oriented towards the satisfaction of each and every one of your needs." After doing so, I was apologized to and told that the manager would call me directly today to talk to me. It is 3 pm. now and I have not heard from him or anyone and there is no message on my phone.

The worst part is that right at the airport, fresh through the security gate, we were convinced by the Travel advisory crew to go and listen to a 90 minute presentation for a Occidental Vacation Plan and we would receive discounts or free admission for a bunch of local attractions. Some of which we wanted to do, so we bit... These guys are in the airport next to security and labeled the Travel Advisory, so it must be OK right? I know what you are all thinking, 'sucker' and you are mostly right. The fact is that The Occidental Property at Xcaret was gorgeous and we wished we could have stayed there after seeing it. However, their Vacation Plan, while tempting, didn't fit into our budget and we had to say "No Thank You"... about 12 times and 5 hours later... yes 5 hours! They fed us breakfast and put us on a bus for Tulum, which was nice and we have a couple of other small park admission tickets which we are going to try and use.

All in all, everything here in Cozumel is great! The locals are all friendly... a bit pushy for tips or to sell their goods, depending on where you are, but nice. Things at the Melia are what they are. It is a nice place with great views, good food and nice staff. It is a solid 3 1/2 stars like it is billed, but there seems to be no sign of anything resembling "First class service" at any price. I just feel like we should have received what we were sold and if that is not available, something should be done. I don't even know what, but I just expect people to be jumping through hoops to make us as happy as possible. That just has not happened! We will make the best of it and enjoy what IS available and 'tough out' the rest of our time in paradise...

Room Tip: Get the lowest cost room because I am not seeing value of spending more!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank brian832
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

W e just returned from an 7 night stay at the Melia, and we would stay here again. The location is about three and a half miles north of the Downtown area ( a pleasant one-hour walk on a paved path along the road) and is the last hotel in the northern hotel zone along Rafael E. Melgar boulevard. Unlike most hotels on the island, the Melia has a very nice beach with palm trees and palapas providing adequate shade. Most of the other hotels that are within walking distance of downtown have no beach at all. The grounds and pools are well-maintained; the rooms are kept very clean; the food is, on average, very good; and overall, it is a good value. Some reviewers have complained that the ocean near the Melia is brown at times, and we noticed that the color seems related to the accumulation of sea weed/grass that seemed to change with the direction of the wind (See beach photo). The water near the beach cleared up nicely for a few days while we were there.

There are three main buildings for accommodations. The tallest, Building A, contains suites. Building B contains the ocean view rooms and is closest to the ocean. Building C is furthest back from the ocean (but still has "garden view" rooms with a view of the ocean). Building C overlooks the "activities" pool and also the Cafe Paraiso restaurant. We noticed that the elevation changes throughout the resort require some stair-climbing, and while there are ramps, it would require some maneuvering for the disabled to get around.

We stayed in one of the deluxe garden view rooms (434) on the fourth floor of building C. Although we did not get a room with a king-sized bed ( we were told that the only rooms with king beds in that building are on the ground floor) we loved our view and had a balcony overlooking the activities pool and the ocean. To clarify an impression left with a reviewer in a previous review, our room (and probably other rooms on upper floors) had two double beds - not twin beds. There was no refrigerator in the room, but two new bottles of water were placed in the bathroom each day.

Many of the previous reviewers have complimented the service – oriented staff, and we would agree. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

There are three restaurants: La Isla, where most meals are served and which has a nice view of the beach; the snack bar La Iguana (very limited menu - we ate here only once); and the Cafe Paraiso (reservations only - seatings at 6:30 or 8:30). Our favorite meal was breakfast, with lots of fresh fruit and options like cereal, yogurt, smoothies, pancakes, French toast, bacon and sausage, eggs or omelets prepared while you wait, beans, chilaquiles, potatoes, pastries, etc. We thought that the food was very good most of the time, but please also keep in mind that we don't eat much meat anymore - some seafood, mostly vegetables. We ate once at the Cafe Paraiso, the reservations-only restaurant, and we thought the soups, salads and shrimp and tuna dishes were very good.

The bar service at the three bars was better than average, with many top-shelf liquors ( Don Julio, Crown Royale, Chivas Regal, etc.) and Dos Equis beer. We experienced no problems with any of our drinks and thought the bar staff were very attentive. We usually take a couple of our own insulated travel mugs for cerveza - keeps the beer cold and fewer trips to the bar. The only suggestion we would have for the Melia is to get satellite radio for their outside bars ( you know, for tropical music to complete the experience). We noticed that for music, the bartenders relied on their smart phones.

We can't comment on the evening entertainment because it's just not our thing. The resort is quiet at night (except for the one Saturday night we were unfortunately there when Mike's Beach bar next door hosted an all-night booming electronic dance music extravaganza - made us want to HURT somebody! ...LOL).

We found that Cozumel has changed significantly in the 15 years since we last visited - before the International pier was built and cruise ship traffic began. A new two-lane road has been built around the southern half of the island, and it seemed that there were many more scooters, cabs and rental vehicles - but still not congested when we were exploring. There is much to do on the island if you are interested. We made the mistake of leaving the island the first time we visited to go to Xcaret. We couldn't wait to get back.

When a strong "Norte" wind started blowing on Wednesday evening and lasted a few days - making sitting on the beach to be uncomfortable and also caused our sailing trip to be cancelled, we rented a car for two days ( from Rentadora ISIS - highly recommended) and went to the other side of the island where it was much calmer. Good idea to have a good map, and I recommend this one:
. http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel-map.html

We enjoyed visiting this beautiful, unspoiled side of the island and stopping at a few beach clubs to have a cerveza, eat some guacamole and hang out - Coconuts On the Hill, Playa Bonita, Rastas, Playa Palancar. The fish at Playa Bonita was outstanding. The beach and laid-back vibe at the least- touristy Playa Palancar is what we wanted.

On Monday, we were finally able to go out on our sailing excursion with Cozumel Sailing - will review it separately.

In summary, the Melia Cozumel ranks probably somewhere in the middle as an all-inclusive resort, but in the context of other hotels on the island, its beach and location are definite plusses to consider when planning a trip to Cozumel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Semi-Retrd
Rocky Mount, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

i realize that people have valid gripes about resorts and different expectations how ever we found few of the negative comments i read ourselves to be true. this is a slower pace resort.a very family friendly but not handicapped friendly resort it is near the end of the paved road about 3miles from downtown. it is peacefully quite. sleeping at night is a "dream." our room is beautiful and is clean throughly everyday by the friendliest staff. our room is on the 12th floor we see across 3miles of ocean to playa del carma. the lights are beautiful and the cruise ships come by our room every morning and leave every night. no noise but they make a wonderful light show. the staff speaks english well and are always in a good mood, joking and helpful. everyone one works hard at making our vacation great. it is a small resort so getting people for activities is challenging. also we found the food to range from average to fantastic.being a small resort the food selection not as vast as larger resorts but overall good. our room was a little smaller than our friends but the marble floors are nice our bath has marble walls floor and vanity. and cleaned to perfection every day. the towels are bigger than beach towels VERY NICE. how ever you must stock the fridge your self if you want the convenence of drinks in your room. the beds are firm and sheets are changed daily. the beach is cleaned every morning of seaweed and trash either washed up or guest trash. now the greatest drawback is the water is hit or miss. a river flows out near the resort when it rains brown soil washes out and looking terrible after a day of sunshine the turquoise water returns!!! the snorkeling at the resort is great. i walked about a mile south finding a sandy cove and snorkeled back to the resort (i recommend a life jacket) tv reception is bad and internet we got only on the balcony or lobby. bartenders just mix drinks they taste different everytime but after a couple who cares. the shows are cheesy but doing shows for people of different languages is challenging. we are at the end of a 10 day stay. gotta say it has been great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 12th floor very nice
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James S
Northumberland, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband & I just returned..took our mothers for a 4 day trip. I totally disliked the food, the rooms were average, the towels were so dingy and thin, in fact the room was not a resort room at all but a cheap hotel room type. Only a few really friendly employees. Antoine was an excellant waiter and Moses was the best bartender. I must say they were constantly cleaning the place and our rooms were cleaned well every day. However one couple we met said how the towels were made into cute animals in their rooms but we had nothing out of the ordinary like I would expect from a resort. I realise this is not a 5 star but was not impressed at all. There were no shows. I would not recomend this resort or stay here again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family